PDA

View Full Version : Possible DaVinci portrait

Chrissy
October 14th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Has anyone seen this on the news? I will provide a link but I stink at computer stuff so I hope this works.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26219508

This is a portrait that just recently was found to possibly be a DaVinci.
I love the hair and hair glove like thing. I think it's a beautiful picture.

Chrissy
October 14th, 2009, 05:50 AM
OK it works!! Yeah me!

jocosema
October 14th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Lovely! I'm sure it looks spectacular in person.

Xandergrammy
October 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM
What an extraordinary find!!! And you're right, the hair and the hair accessory are both gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing this, Chrissy!

maaria
October 14th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I have never seen this picture before.
She have lovely hair and the hair glove thing is also nice. She had very thick hair.:)

bgarrison
October 14th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Thanks for sharing the link, Chrissy. Very interesting!!

Gabriel
October 14th, 2009, 06:21 AM
That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

GlassEyes
October 14th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I'm not an art-history major, or anyone with any sort of credibility (as usual XD), but that really DOES look like a Da Vinci painting. o-o;; His later works, anyway--some of his earlier work was more streamlined (skin, especially, if I remember correctly--it almost had a photoshop-like glow, if i remember correctly), but you can definitely see similarities to say, the Mona Lisa, and what I -think- is a painting of the Madonna (I -THINKTHINKTHINK- it's called the Madonna on the Rocks, or of the Rocks) that looks quite similar, at least stylistically.

Like I said, not a credible source, just someone who just realized he knows more about Renaissance painters than he realized. XD; It'll be so COOL if it really is! I know my old boss would be happy--she's made her career based off the study of Renaissance/Baroque artists, though her main concentration was with Vasari, I believe. Still freaking cool!

morguebabe
October 15th, 2009, 06:30 AM
pretty thank you!

NiAosSi
October 15th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I have to agree with GlassEyes and say there is definitely something DaVinci about it. Now, the question that begs to be answered: If this is indeed an original DaVinci, what's going to happen to the person who purchased it? Will they buy it from him, take it from him or, allow him to keep it? I doubt he would want the to do the latter with the hundreds of millions it's worth.

spidermom
October 15th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I'm intrigued by what is holding the hair; I want one!

apynip
October 15th, 2009, 07:15 AM
yes! i saw this. i'm no expert but i'd say it was a davinci by the style and technique. BUT it might have been done by one of his students which i why they are sceptical.

I acctually noticed her hair after i checked the style of teh painting. now i'm platting a new hairstyle for my character at fair. hmmm... -evil plotting-

apynip
October 15th, 2009, 07:19 AM
its a snood like contraption with a circlet i suppose holding it up. then a ribbon wrapped around the hair and most likely tied off near the end.

BTW it would look really pretty with your hair spidermom

Ryanne
October 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
It's lovely, and that's all I can tell about it.

embee
October 15th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Whoo! Very much reminds me of this portrait:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_d'Este

Apparently *this* lady was a mover and shaker in her city.

pepperminttea
October 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Whoo! Very much reminds me of this portrait:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_d'Este (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_d%27Este)

Apparently *this* lady was a mover and shaker in her city.

Just read the article - so sad, she's was only a year older than me when she died. Goodness, that's a wake-up call and a half.

But that hair snood thing certainly is interesting - held on by pins, presumerably?

Leena7
October 15th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I saw that on the daily mail. I thought her hair was lovely. It reminded me of something out of Romeo and Juliet, le sigh...

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I saw this on HLN last night and they are saying there are fingerprints that match one of his other paintings but are waiting for further testing before making a formal announcement! :cheese:

Flynn
October 15th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I'm not an art-history major, or anyone with any sort of credibility (as usual XD), but that really DOES look like a Da Vinci painting. o-o;; His later works, anyway--some of his earlier work was more streamlined (skin, especially, if I remember correctly--it almost had a photoshop-like glow, if i remember correctly), but you can definitely see similarities to say, the Mona Lisa, and what I -think- is a painting of the Madonna (I -THINKTHINKTHINK- it's called the Madonna on the Rocks, or of the Rocks) that looks quite similar, at least stylistically.

Like I said, not a credible source, just someone who just realized he knows more about Renaissance painters than he realized. XD; It'll be so COOL if it really is! I know my old boss would be happy--she's made her career based off the study of Renaissance/Baroque artists, though her main concentration was with Vasari, I believe. Still freaking cool!

I agree; I wouldn't have a clue at all, but it's got the right look to it! XD

Melisande
October 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Well, I'm sceptical. It's a lovely picture but the fingerprint might be explained by Leonardo helping a pupil getting it right. Leonardo is known to have done that.

In his drawings, he usually doesn't shade the outline, and he has a very characteristic style of hatching. So it's his time and place (there was a Milanese fashion of such hairstyles at the time), but I'm not sure it's his hand. It might be a de Predis as mentioned above. Here (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Profile_of_a_Lady.jpg)is another link that shows how he likes to shade the background dark to emphasize the profile. Leonardo doesn't do that. He shades the face itself, but leaves the background untouched, like here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Isabella_d%27este.jpg). A rare exception, interesting from a hair point of view, is here (http://www.drawingsofleonardo.org/images/leda.jpg). Bu the hatching here doesn't resemble the newly disputed drawing, it's much more cursory and rough.

In addition, Leonardo likes to break up the strict profile in female portraits, like here (http://www.drawingsofleonardo.org/images/studyofwoman.jpg). He likes to give a glimpse of the other side of the face.

So all in all, I'm inclined to be sceptical... we don't have fingerprints of de Predis to compare, so we may never know who drew this.

(And although I don't think this makes me more reliable than any other viewer: I'm an art historian and teach art of the Renaissance at university level.)

justme
October 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Me too! And I want someone to put it in my hair!