PDA

View Full Version : psoriasis on the scalp and increased growth????

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Anybody else get this during the colder months?

Every year without fail, I get a scabby scalp which hurts like mad, even pouring water on it feels like acid.

Funny though, I get this always just before a growth spurt, well from what I have noticed in the last 2 years. From every negative comes a positive I suppose!

Is there any connection? anybody else notice this?

Calista
October 14th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Have you actually been diagnosed with psoriasis? There are several skin conditions that result in a scabby scalp.

As psoriasis is an autoimmune disease making your skin cells renew every 3-4 days (as opposed to the ususal month), it sounds possible that your hair would also grow faster. My OH has psoriasis, but he shaves his head, so I don´t really know if his hair grows faster in the scabby spots.

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Yes I have I also get it on my torso and knees.

Yes I understand the condition, I am a RN and both my daughters and late father suffered, my eldest daughter has ultra violet treatment for hers, which unfortunatelly didnt work for the rest of us.

I tend to get it when I am stressed and what with my daughter making up stories, my husband cheating on me and my father dying this year, i am not suprised really its flared up as bad this year!

Maybe it coincidence then?

Tangerine
October 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I don't think my skin condition is psoriasis, but I have on and off had problems with scabby scalp and it is definitely a nuisance. I have a patch on the back of my head now, just above the hair line and it can drive me bonkers at times. I stick my (not very long) nails in it hard to get some relief :oops: I haven't got problems with water stinging though.

I get it on other bits of my body too. Years ago my then GP diagnosed it as psoriasis, but my next GP said it was 'merely' dermatitis and told me to apply eumovate when necessary (not for my scalp by the way, that wasn't an issue at the time), and keep it moisturised with aqueous cream. With both pregnancies it completely faded, but now it has come back again. Stress flares it up for me too :( I am also very bad for picking and scratching, esp on my elbow :rolleyes:

Regarding the scalp issues: I haven't noticed any relation between it and growth spurts but I will definitely monitor it from now on. I do only get relatively small patches so I don't think I'll notice much in terms of extra hair growth overall.

Sorry to hear you've got it bad, jojo :blossom:

Calista
October 14th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Well, as I said, it seems possible to me that the two are connected. Like, as your skin produces more skin cells, your follicles produce more hair? :ponder:

Slightly OT: My OH started using calendula-infused vaseline (in Germany known as Melkfett) about a month ago, and he has very good results with it, despite the mineral oil. It wouldn´t be a good idea for your scalp, though. :silly:

ETA: I just wanted to add that most skin conditions have stress as a trigger. It´s our body´s way of expressing itself - in German we say "the skin is the mirror of the soul".

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 09:28 AM
The increased growth could be due to the extra rubbing and friction on your scalp, while you're trying to take care of the problems. Maybe it's making your blood circulate up there faster? :confused:

kdaniels8811
October 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Jojo - I do not have any helpful advice but just wanted to say I feel for you with all you are going through. Something that helped me when life got awful was my mantra, "this too, shall pass." I hope you are able to get beyond this stressful period in your life and things start looking up very soon. I am sorry to hear of your father's passing, I understand how you feel. Hugs!

Tinose
October 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
It sounds logical to me that a condition that makes your skin renew ridiculously fast would make your hair grow faster. I imagine that your body's sending more resources to your scalp and since a lot of things for increasing scalp growth tend to involve increasing the blood flow to the scalp, it seems to me that it would work the same even when the cause is a bloody pain. I hope things gets better for you, though.

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Well, as I said, it seems possible to me that the two are connected. Like, as your skin produces more skin cells, your follicles produce more hair? :ponder:

Slightly OT: My OH started using calendula-infused vaseline (in Germany known as Melkfett) about a month ago, and he has very good results with it, despite the mineral oil. It wouldn´t be a good idea for your scalp, though. :silly:

ETA: I just wanted to add that most skin conditions have stress as a trigger. It´s our body´s way of expressing itself - in German we say "the skin is the mirror of the soul".

I love that saying, never heard it before but very true, funny you should mention the vaseline based stuff, ive not heard of that but my mum said today put some on your scalp overnight, going to have a go with that.

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
The increased growth could be due to the extra rubbing and friction on your scalp, while you're trying to take care of the problems. Maybe it's making your blood circulate up there faster? :confused:
Now I never thought of that, you could be on to something there, im forever scratching know i shouldnt but its so itchy.

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Jojo - I do not have any helpful advice but just wanted to say I feel for you with all you are going through. Something that helped me when life got awful was my mantra, "this too, shall pass." I hope you are able to get beyond this stressful period in your life and things start looking up very soon. I am sorry to hear of your father's passing, I understand how you feel. Hugs!
Thank you, yes its been the year from hell to be honest but I am feeling much better now, obviously still missing my dad badly but beging to be able to think of him and smile rather than weep, thank you for your concern xxx

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I don't think my skin condition is psoriasis, but I have on and off had problems with scabby scalp and it is definitely a nuisance. I have a patch on the back of my head now, just above the hair line and it can drive me bonkers at times. I stick my (not very long) nails in it hard to get some relief :oops: I haven't got problems with water stinging though.

I get it on other bits of my body too. Years ago my then GP diagnosed it as psoriasis, but my next GP said it was 'merely' dermatitis and told me to apply eumovate when necessary (not for my scalp by the way, that wasn't an issue at the time), and keep it moisturised with aqueous cream. With both pregnancies it completely faded, but now it has come back again. Stress flares it up for me too :( I am also very bad for picking and scratching, esp on my elbow :rolleyes:

Regarding the scalp issues: I haven't noticed any relation between it and growth spurts but I will definitely monitor it from now on. I do only get relatively small patches so I don't think I'll notice much in terms of extra hair growth overall.

Sorry to hear you've got it bad, jojo :blossom:

thanks x Mine starts from my crown and nearly covers the back of my head, I tend to get it worse here for some reason. I can cope with it on my knees and stomach but it dont half hurt washing hair. xx

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
thanks to you all, I am thinking that Jamie Leigh has hit the nail on the head, which the scratching theory, suppose its like scritching what some do on here.

pepperminttea
October 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I have diagnosed psoriasis on my scalp, since I was 12 or so, I've never noticed this - but I'll have to keep an eye on it now! :)

RancheroTheBee
October 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I have eczema, and I also get winter growth spurts. The weird thing is, I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, except maybe washing less or using more conditioner. My situation is almost certainly a coincidence.

Magicknthenight
October 14th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Anybody else get this during the colder months?

Every year without fail, I get a scabby scalp which hurts like mad, even pouring water on it feels like acid.

Funny though, I get this always just before a growth spurt, well from what I have noticed in the last 2 years. From every negative comes a positive I suppose!

Is there any connection? anybody else notice this?
I have had it on the left side of my head for a longggg time now. At first i thought it was dandruff...then eczema..then i saw a doctor and she confirmed it was psoriasis. Its pretty much non stop. Over the passed year ive got it on my ear lobes badly (around under and now slightly in), my elbows, and knees. Oh and a little more in my hair by my neck but not horribly. I'm sure the colder months make it worse! Thats why i have a vaporizer in hope of saving my skin from drying out!!! Its a real pain though -_-

it sounds possible that your hair would also grow faster. My OH has psoriasis, but he shaves his head, so I don´t really know if his hair grows faster in the scabby spots.
:) Well that'd be cool if it would make your hair grow faster! I've actually been really paranoid sometimes that it would make you lose hair. It hasn't seemed to i just think my hair feels less thick since theirs less frizz now...

I tend to get it when I am stressed and what with my daughter making up stories, my husband cheating on me and my father dying this year, i am not suprised really its flared up as bad this year!

Maybe it coincidence then?
:flower: i hope things start going better for you!
if stress is a factor...i fear mine might never go away..

It sounds logical to me that a condition that makes your skin renew ridiculously fast would make your hair grow faster. I imagine that your body's sending more resources to your scalp and since a lot of things for increasing scalp growth tend to involve increasing the blood flow to the scalp.
I hope that is the case with people who get it! Of course me with wanting such long hair it never seems long enough! therefore its slow e_e

I love that saying, never heard it before but very true, funny you should mention the vaseline based stuff, ive not heard of that but my mum said today put some on your scalp overnight, going to have a go with that.
Just be careful with the Vaseline i'm not sure how it is in other products but i know someone told me putting just regular vasiline on my scalp would help it a couple years ago..nope. Just very hard to get out.

Now I never thought of that, you could be on to something there, im forever scratching know i shouldnt but its so itchy.
Hum scratching and exfolating right? I always end up scratching my scalp even though i try not to. But i do every once in a while because if i don't it'll bother me to the point of itching until..it bleeds..:undecided

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
oh I so understand the scratching until it bleeds and then you have bloody (not swearing) scabs in your hair!

I also get it behind my ears and also occassionally inside ouch!

I try not to wash as much either, mainly because it hurts....so coupled with scratching and not washing, maybe this is the secret to increasing growth??

I am confused as to why a scabby scalp would cause an increase maybe winter is just my growth season, just thought of another thing mine does go in the sun too and I have fine hair, so maybe the sun gets to my scalp and stops the psorosis? but this interfers with the skins in some way and it produced some kind of barrier to psorosis but also hinders growth but then in winter when the scabs come, the body works harder to erradicate them = more blood supply to the area???

Confused yet?! and there are a lot of maybes in that sentance!!LOL

ps I will hold off the vaseline!

ChloeDharma
October 15th, 2009, 12:29 AM
If calendula helps (and it really should as it's amazing for skin problems) and your hair likes oil you can buy or make calendula infused oil. To make it just fill a jar with the dried herb then cover with oil, let sit for 4-6 weeks then strain and use it as a scalp oil. You could also make rinses with it but it does add reddish golden tones to hair.
You can buy it in most herbalists or order it from www.baldwins.co.uk

Kris Dove
October 15th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I am confused as to why a scabby scalp would cause an increase maybe winter is just my growth season, just thought of another thing mine does go in the sun too and I have fine hair, so maybe the sun gets to my scalp and stops the psorosis? but this interfers with the skins in some way and it produced some kind of barrier to psorosis but also hinders growth but then in winter when the scabs come, the body works harder to erradicate them = more blood supply to the area???
Possibly the lack of vitamin D from the sun in winter could be a factor in your flare-ups, and taking a supplement this time of year might help?

If it's just moisture you are looking at using vaseline for, perhaps something like pure coconut oil might be a better option as it's far easier to wash out and will do your hair good too?