PDA

View Full Version : A little bragging and a thank you...

GoddesJourney
October 13th, 2009, 11:45 PM
First, the bragging:

Since I've finally reduced my shedding to very little, my ponytail circumference has gone from around 3.5", maybe a little more, to an even 4". That means I've officially moved up from a ii to a ii/iii. F-O-U-R I-N-C-H-E-S! Yes, I thought it would never happen because I thought it was all just genetics. Nope. Excessive shedding due to mistreatment of my hair. Anyway, as it grows out, maybe I will get those amazingly thick beautiful braids I've seen. Also, I can see a whole bunch of short hairs all over my head between two to three inches that will eventually hopefully make me an even iii.

After all that, I would like to express my gratitude to everyone here on this forum who makes this "place" so wonderful. Thank you to the mods who keep it safe and civil. Thank you to everyone who supports other people in feeling healthier and more beautiful. You all rock!

fluffybunny
October 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
What did you change to reduce shedding?

RancheroTheBee
October 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM
:thud: WOW. Four inches? :( I'm super envious right now.

GoddesJourney
October 14th, 2009, 01:27 AM
What did you change to reduce shedding?

I had always shed like a dog. Recently, I recognized the things that make me shed so much and removed them. The first thing was brushing and playing with my hair a lot. I pull out a lot of hair doing this. Later, I switched to no cones because I realized it was making me shed a lot. Looking back, there was a time when I didn't use cone products because they were expensive and I did shed a little less. Shortly therafter I switched to sulphate free. Big change in shedding as well. Then I remembered that during the hot summer, I was showering only with cold water and it was helping me even though I was using cone and sulphate products. I shed more in the winter and now I know that it's because I use hot water to shower.

So, to sum it up:
1. Cones make me shed, especially heavily coned products like Dove.
2. Sulphates contribute to my shedding. I switched to Trader Joe's shampoo and conditioner.
3. Hot water makes me shed. I try to hot water my body right when I get in the shower to warm up and then cool it down to wash my hair and for the rest of the shower.
4. Playing with my hair too much drops a lot of hair. I use a wide-toothed horn comb now only.

Each one of these things alone is not too bad, but all together I was losing a small handful of hair every day in the shower (I put it on the wall to not clog the drain and throw it away when I get out). Then I would brush my hair and throw away another half handful. Throughout the day I would drop it everywhere. It was all over the bathroom floor daily and sometimes in the livingroom next to the couch where I would stroke my hair. My husband used to complain about all the hair on the bed, too. I would say I was losing two good handfuls a day. Now, I put two to six hairs on the shower wall, another two to six in my comb. The whole week goes by and there isn't enough hair on the floor to even equal one day before. Nothing next to the couch unless I play with it. Nothing on the bed. It's amazing.

I know not everyone reacts the same way to cones and sulphates and brushing as I do, but this worked for me. The four factors together were making me think I was doomed by genetics to shed out all my hair for life. Now I know it was my own actions that were holding me back from full, thick, amazing hair. I hope those of you big shedders can learn from my mistakes. I've always wanted those thick amazing braids and now I think one day I'll actually get them. Yay!

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Four inches is a solid iii. Mine measured 3.9 inches last time I checked, and I claim a solid iii (maybe I shouldn't).

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM
That's great, that you're happy with how your hair is growing....and how LHC is going. It's a pleasure to see your posts. :flower:

MirandaWelch
October 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing your tips, too :D Congrats.

ericthegreat
October 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Welcome to the Really thick hair club GoddesJourney! :cheese: I'm glad that your hair has not only grown longer but also thickened up in overall circumference. It also makes you wonder just how many other people around the world actually could potentially have full, thick luxurious hair if they stopped doing all the damaging things they are taught that they need to do to their hair "to make it look good" .

GoddesJourney
October 14th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Four inches is a solid iii. Mine measured 3.9 inches last time I checked, and I claim a solid iii (maybe I shouldn't).

The hair typing guide ends ii and starts iii on four inches. I was just going by that.

Welcome to the Really thick hair club GoddesJourney! :cheese: I'm glad that your hair has not only grown longer but also thickened up in overall circumference. It also makes you wonder just how many other people around the world actually could potentially have full, thick luxurious hair if they stopped doing all the damaging things they are taught that they need to do to their hair "to make it look good" .

I keep telling that to my mom. She had me thinking that rampant hair shedding is genetic, but she and my grandmother will not stop coloring with chemicals. If she can't deal with the grey, she could switch to henna. Why not? Yeah, she's stubborn. Oh, and did I mention she scrapes off her split ends with her fingernails? Again, gross just to listen to. Anyway, I'm working on her. She really wants thick, healthy hair, but she's got to break some habits or it will never happen.

AnneAdeline
October 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM
That's amazing!
It's great to hear from someone who has successfully cut down on shedding. I shed a ton, too, and I'm also in the 3.5" range. I'm hoping that I will be able to do what you've done.
Can't wait to see your thick braid!

JCFantasy23
October 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Congrats, I really really envy you. I stopped using cones a few weeks ago. I rarely see shedding now, even when brushing. Wanting to get a wide toothed comb too. I'm hoping I can post like yours someday

Amara
October 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Congratulations on figuring out a lot of useful things to help your hair!!!