PDA

View Full Version : Who here hates buns?

talecon
October 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I hate putting my hair in a bun when my hair is wet. And since I have curly hair I have to style it when its wet or its gonna be messy. My hair never seems to dry when its in a bun. So lets say I wake up take a shower, put my hair in a bun throughout the day and dont take it out. I can sleep, wake up, take my hair out of the bun and it'll still be damp. And if I dont take it out soon enough my hair gets this smell like a wet towel thats been thrown in the corner for a while. And I hate stinky hair.
So who else hates putting their hair in a bun?...

(hears crickets sounding in the distance) :cool:

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I don't like putting it up in a bun and leaving it to dry, because it doesn't, like, ever. I can wash it one morning and put it in a bun, wear it all day, sleep on it, wear it all the next day and take it down and have it still be wet. So while I usually do put it in a bun right after a wash while it dries a little bit (or at least gets less sopping), I usually take it down in a few hours or after the first day/night and then braid it or something so it can finish drying.

But for general everyday wear, I really love buns. :)

Quixii
October 13th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I definitely don't do buns after showers. I generally only do them for gymnastics, where it's necessary. They annoy me.

GoddesJourney
October 13th, 2009, 10:32 PM
I just don't like buns period because they're unflattering on me and, worst of all, they don't stay regardless of how much I pin them down for any kind of excercise at all. They look great on other people, just not me. I put them in when I just need to get it up while I'm eating or if it's hot or something and all I have is a big pin.

Dars
October 13th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Outside of work I'm not a big fan of buns. I never bun my hair wet though. shudder:

JCFantasy23
October 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I never put buns or anything up with my hair when it's wet because it won't dry. Seriously, it will never dry. I've never left it up and wet for days, but I know overnight and at least 12 hours, it will still be damp.

I like SOME buns. I honestly think some look too matronly, some just not attractive. I do like cute buns, half falling outs, and LOVE messy buns. I like higher buns versus in the middle or lower buns, although some of the lower do look sleek.

liseling
October 13th, 2009, 10:57 PM
They're unflattering on me too and I only do them when I want all my hair out of my way and compacted into the smallest volume possible.

Tinose
October 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I think they tend to be unflattering, but don't really care and tend to wear them a lot because they're comfy and easy. Yay laziness!

Fethenwen
October 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I hate putting my hair in a bun when my hair is wet. And since I have curly hair I have to style it when its wet or its gonna be messy. My hair never seems to dry when its in a bun. So lets say I wake up take a shower, put my hair in a bun throughout the day and dont take it out. I can sleep, wake up, take my hair out of the bun and it'll still be damp. And if I dont take it out soon enough my hair gets this smell like a wet towel thats been thrown in the corner for a while. And I hate stinky hair.
So who else hates putting their hair in a bun?...

(hears crickets sounding in the distance) :cool:
Have you ever tried wearing a bun on dry hair?

I myself love making buns, my hair starts to get to that length now that I can use hairsticks. But I don't find them that flattering, it usually comes down and I put it in a braid when I go out of the house.

Stephichan
October 13th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I'm pretty inept at buns. Usually I braid my hair after I wash it and if I take it out the same day my hair will still be damp. If it's a french braid, I have to leave it in about 36 hours for it to be 100% dry (but then I have killer braid-waves :D)

pradabacon
October 13th, 2009, 11:35 PM
The only bun I've tried so far that I like the look of on me is the giant sock bun (that uses all of the hair rolled in). And I have only very rarely ever worn any bun in public - public meaning to Walmart or Taco Bell :p.

Buns don't look good on me at all and my husband isn't a fan. I prefer my hair down or in braids or a ponytail. The only time I think a bun looks cute on me is when I've slept in it or it's been in for a long time and it's starting to loosen up and give a halo effect. I need softer-looking hairstyles.

jojo
October 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I dont like how my hair looks when I wet bun it and then set it free, as the ends always look yucky, sort of damaged even though there not, but I do like my work bun on dry hair better.

RancheroTheBee
October 13th, 2009, 11:45 PM
They're generally pretty flattering on me, but it's ponytails I can't stand. The way they sort of rub on my collar gives me the willies.

Syaoransbear
October 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I never put my hair in a bun. I hate it. After doing ballet(that I didn't enjoy) for a million years I just never want to see my hair in a bun ever again.

inertia
October 14th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I hate buns too. They put uneven waves and dents in my hair so I can't wear it loose until it's washed. They make my scalp ache, both from the weight and from my hair being held against the growth pattern. They're unflattering on me -- some updos work on me, but not buns. They don't effectively hide oily roots either, and I'm better off with a hat on non-wash days.

I prefer to wear ponytails when I want my hair out of the way. Buns are only for really hot days, exercise, and when I intentionally want to look invisible or matronly.

Elenna
October 14th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Buns look really bad on me. Although, I've seen buns on LHC members that were absolutely beautiful, but I think that it is because they had long hair and great color.

winter_star
October 14th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I really dislike buns too. They always give me a headache and i'm hopeless at it.

GlassEyes
October 14th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Have you ever tried wearing a bun on dry hair? :misskim::rollin::lol:

Bunning with curly hair is HARD. You can never get it to look smooth, there's flyaways everywhere, and if you have layers (where mos tof the problem comes from) and a shorter than MBL length, you're going to to have problems.

Then comes wet-bunning. If you want your hair to look 'smooth' as a curly haired person IN a bun or ponytail, AND you have layers, wet buns are the only real way to go.

However, that doesn't mean they have to be soeaking wet. I comb my hair back when it's soaked, then wait for it to be only slightly damp before bunning. Otherwise, they stay completely wet. I used to bun right out of the shower, but it never dried then.

Nowadays, I can bun my hair dry--but for a long time, I couldn't. :shrug: It's just not as pleasing looking to me, unless it's done on hair that's dried in a braid.

Chrissy
October 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I know we had a post here once about misreading thread titles. Well I just did it with this one! I thought it said Who here hates bugs? I thought what does bugs have to do with hair. This is in the wrong place!! Then I looked again and thought oh...............CARRY ON!!!!!

Lemur_Catta
October 14th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I don't really like buns because they don't look good on me, and because my head aches when it put it against the car seat or other head rests.
But I like the idea of bunning :D So I buy hair stick and practice my favorite buns and wear them sometimes.
Most of the times, I wear braids because they are cute and frame my face. I really like braids.

Dolly
October 14th, 2009, 05:19 AM
On me, I prefer braids....

When I bun, it is normally because I need/want my hair out of my way, or I am oiling it. I don't normally wear a bun outside the house unless I am just running errands or something.....they are just not very flattering on me. But I do LOVE my aquapearl ketylos for when I DO decide to bun!

I am a self-proclaimed hair idiot.....not really good at updos, and I prefer to wear mine down most of the time anyway.

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I hate the way that buns look on me, but they're very convenient for getting hair out of the way, and I don't look at myself very often, so I wear them.

I seldom bun while wet because it takes my hair hours to dry while it's down, so I figure it would take days to dry in a bun. Plus my hair is kind of heavy and wet buns don't stay put.

Bene
October 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I'll damp bun, not wet bun. After my hair has been in a towel for a while until it's just damp, I'll oil, comb and bun, then take it down every so often until it's all dry.

I can't imagine my hair ever getting dry if I wet bun.

pradabacon
October 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I know we had a post here once about misreading thread titles. Well I just did it with this one! I thought it said Who here hates bugs? I thought what does bugs have to do with hair. This is in the wrong place!! Then I looked again and thought oh...............CARRY ON!!!!!

I hate bugs! Especially bugs in my buns!

http://planetsmilies.net/animal-smiley-4915.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)http://planetsmilies.net/animal-smiley-4940.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)http://planetsmilies.net/animal-smiley-4893.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Nah, just kidding. I like bugs. I hate bums, though!

jivete
October 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I'm not a super fan. I wear them because they're comfortable and practical and protective. But if I'm going out and want to look nice, a bun isn't my first choice.

jivete
October 14th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Oh, but I hate bunning wet hair. I'm not even crazy about bunning damp hair. Makes my ends all funky.

karli
October 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I love buns and wear them almost all the time. It keeps all hair away from my face, stays put all day and since my hair is light, a bun is almost weightless.

I don`t like to bun my hair when it is wet or damp because then I have to redo the bun during the day so that the hair dries. It is not flattering on me, but as Spidermom said; I don`t have to look at me during the day so I don`t suffer from it. Friends and coworkers that do have to look at me, well, they have gotten used to it. At least they don`t look away in horror...

florenonite
October 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I love buns, but I never do them on hair that's still wet. I do them on damp hair, but I have to leave it to dry for half an hour to an hour before bunning it because otherwise my scalp stays wet for so long that it gets horribly itchy.

Lohari
October 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Buns hate ME D: The only bun I can do without my hair slipping out of it is cinnabun. That's why I prefer braids, they are a lot easier, don't get my hair all messy and tangly and do not suddenly fall off when I'm walking. Maybe someday I will learn how to do buns...

rchorr
October 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Even with a tiny bun (I have curl, but not a lot of volume), my hair won't dry in a bun. Then it smells sour. EEWWWW! :shudder:

RCHORR'

plainjanegirl
October 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks for this thread! Now I know I am not alone.:p
I do not like buns on me.....with my straightish hair they look plain, cause my head to ache after so long, etc.The are times that I do bun I don't find myself using sticks or forks very often(I use hair pins).....I was all excited to try these after finding lhc but don't really care for them (am I weird?).
Now I do braid my hair alot. I also worry about braids looking plain, but they are soooo much more comfortable. For everybody else who prefers braids - take time to check out torrinpaige on youtube cause she has several different varieties of braids.

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I wish I could just get by with braids as my DH far prefers them to buns. However, I always have at least 1001 hairs working their way free of my braids, making them look all fluffy, then those loose hairs grab onto each other and tangle or knot up like mad, especially around the nape of my neck, also on the surface of the braids. I remember when my hair was shorter reading about people saying that their hair tangled up when they braided it, and I thought "they must not be doing it right." Well, it happens; I'm humbled.

DMARTINEZ
October 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Ive always found buns to be way more comfortable than braids...? Braids pull!

Deb

Fingolphin
October 14th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Here's the thing: that nasty smell that smells like a damp towel that's been in the corner for awhile? That's mildew. That's right, your hair can actually rot. That's why it's not good to leave your wet hair in a bun for, say, two days or something. It needs to dry. Damp hair in a bun for a while is okay, but if you start smelling mildew, it's been too long. I've actually heard of peoples hair falling off in chunks cuz it rotted this way. Yikes.

Beldaran
October 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Just for the record, I don't think anyone can wear a wet bun until their hair is dry an avoid the icky smell. Imagine taking a shower, drying off and then taking your towel and twisting it into a rope, coiling it into a pile and leaving it on the bathroom floor.. of course it's going to smell bad after a few days!
[cue someone posting that they only ever dry their hair in a bun and don't ever get the musty smell]

I like buns because there are so many different ways to do my hair. Today I've had a cinnabun, infinity, fake french twist and figure 8 styles in my hair. I finally decided on the fig 8 because it's holding quite well, but if I had to have my hair down or braided while at work 100% of the time, it would break off where I lean against my chair. Buns are a hair saver for me.

intothemist1999
October 14th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I wear buns regularly for only because I have to have it up for work since even my ponies are too long now (even though I wear them high and braided).

They aren't my favourite style, and they aren't flattering *on me*, although some pull them off very successfully. For me it's a utilitarian 'do that's quick 'n easy.

I would NEVER do it up damp unless I knew I was going to later be taking it down somewhere very warm (and *not* at work). My hair would never dry, and if I get the barest chill on a wet head, I get the sniffles.

ETA: I agree, it's a protective, 'do, too. Even when I was still wearing ponies/braids they were getting pretty beat up behind me, especially in the car.

Heidi_234
October 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Quite practical - really ugly on me. I look seriously horrible in them :no: And admit it LHC people - to anybody else they all look the same. :?

Gumball
October 14th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I guess I can't put myself into the crowd of bun detesters because I wear my hair in a bun basically every day and have no problems with it whatsoever. :) I never think my hair will dry if it's damp bunned because there isn't really enough airflow to dry the hair or to let it really evaporate off. If I wash my hair and it doesn't dry all the way before bunning, then I just end up with a slightly (or more than just that) damp braid to sleep on when I take it down at the end of the day. No biggie, since it's still moisture!

Amara
October 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I wish I could just get by with braids as my DH far prefers them to buns. However, I always have at least 1001 hairs working their way free of my braids, making them look all fluffy, then those loose hairs grab onto each other and tangle or knot up like mad, especially around the nape of my neck, also on the surface of the braids. I remember when my hair was shorter reading about people saying that their hair tangled up when they braided it, and I thought "they must not be doing it right." Well, it happens; I'm humbled.

This exact thing happens to me. I rarely wear braids, as I might as well have my hair loose, except loose hair I could run my fingers through occassionally and keep it looking presentable - the braid just explodes.

teela1978
October 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
My hair is in a bun pretty much daily. Mainly because its convenient. I prefer it down... but it gets in the way at work. When I'm doing computer work it often gets let down... so really it just goes up and down and up and down all day depending on what I'm doing.

I recently learned that the guy at the coffee stand thinks of me as 'the girl with the bun'.

Niftytiffs
October 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I dont mind buns but they are not my preferred method of keeping my hair up. I dont tend to wear makeup and if I put my hair in a bun I look rather severe! Even just having my hair in a ponytail is better than a bun! If I am going out in the evening though I will wash my hair in the morning, let it towel dry for about 40 minutes before brushing out. It then gets air dried for an hour on my trip to work (car heaters on for a bit of warmth during the winter!) Then put into a loose bun. That way I get lovely waves and the hair isnt as floofy as it might be un-bunned!

Tiffers

florenonite
October 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
admit it LHC people - to anybody else they all look the same. :?

Not to my boyfriend :p He recognises some different buns that I do.

There must be more people besides LHCers and their SOs who can distinguish between buns, though; they look different!

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I think buns all look the same, pretty much, so I stick with a few easy ones. In fact, I'll do the same one day after day after day after ............... and probably 12 times a day most days. Well, 4 or 5 anyway. They will often slide and twist on me so what I end up with often doesn't resemble the one I started out with. As long as they don't pull, I leave them slightly disheveled (which I like better than smooth and neat) for as long as I can.

pepperminttea
October 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I think they tend to be unflattering, but don't really care and tend to wear them a lot because they're comfy and easy. Yay laziness!

Ditto! It is so nice just to twist it up in the morning, pop sticks or a fork in, and just tug them gently out in the evening.

Wicked Princess
October 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I recognize the different bun styles! But only if I'm paying attention to someone's hair, and I normally don't do that if they have their hair up. I think this is true for many people outside of the LHC, so what may be a different bun every day may only "look the same" at first glance. :)

Usually, what people notice is my hair toys. I normally wear a different one every day, and they're all silver, or lighter colored wood, or brightly colored - which show up very nicely against my nearly-black hair. I like hair toys more than I do updos, hehehe. The updos I only do because it's keeps my hair practical (safe, rather - I work in a lab) and professional for my workplace.

I could never bun my hair if it was wet! Usually, I am able to let it air dry until it's 3/4 of the way dry, then oil and put it in a braid for the night. If I'm going to use a bun for the day, I'll blow dry it (cool air, I do it maybe twice a month) before I put it up!

Rain
October 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I am currently sick of buns after wearing almost nothing but buns for the last few years! But damp buns have never worked for me. My hair doesn't ever dry and my curls tangle up into ropes that are a pain to detangle. I only put my hair up if it's bone dry.

Nera
October 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I hate buns, they look too office-like on me. no. I really don't like them