PDA

View Full Version : 1/2" growth per month to 1/2" in 4 days!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

piratejenny23
October 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Hello everybody,
at the bottom of this post is a question but first some background information that i hope might help your hair grow faster too!

My hair has always grown really really slowly, about 1/2" per month. I only ever bothered measuring it every 4-6 months since it was so darn slow.

I started taking biotin last summer & that definitely helped my hair grow faster, although my primary concern was the amount of hair I was losing. The biotin made a big difference there too.

A couple of weeks ago I started taking diatomaceous earth, about 1 tablespoon per day, and my hair grew 1/2" in a week (Oct 2 to Oct 9). Oh and I started taking a spoonful or two of molasses every day around this time too.

On Thursday I did a scalp treatment that contains sulfur (Shapleys MTG); I measured my hair again tonight, and it's grown 1/2" since Friday!

Here is some info about DE:
http://www.diatomitecanada.com/the-silica-connection-diatomaceous-earth.htm

I have a flaky itchy scalp and I got the MTG in the hopes that it would help this. Only after I got home and read some reviews did I realize it is an old-fashioned scalp tonic for baldness & hair growth. There is a "human" version called Sulu Max Gro; however, I'd like to come up with a non-oily concoction. I'm thinking rosemary tea or aloe juice...

Does anyone have any sulfur scalp treatment recipes or suggestions? The MTG has mineral oil & smells horrid (supposedly because of cade oil more than the sulfur).

**I have some powdered sulfur, so I'm looking for recipes that call for sulfur, not necessarily recipes that use sulfur-containing foods. Thanks!**

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
That's some crazy growth! Congratulations! I've never heard of DE before.

marzipanfuntime
October 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Ha! This sounds like one of those paid adds, too good to be true! What brands of supplement/treatment did you use?

piratejenny23
October 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM
i know, right?! but it's not, i just have too much time on my hands. i'm out of a job and a little obsessed with my hair :P

i take 5mg of biotin a day. i take NSI which i get from vitacost.com. i haven't tried any other brand; i got lucky because this is a cheap brand and it works for me; it also worked better for me than "ultra hair", "biosil", and horsetail, which are more expensive. i'm not trying to plug them, but i worked at a health food store where we got a 30% employee discount and it was STILL cheaper to buy online. these might have worked because of my particular nutritional needs or deficiencies but everybody's different. still, all the stuff i'm trying is super cheap.

i got the DE from a garden store. originally because we had fleas in the house, and it's a non-toxic insecticide, but as i started to research it i found that people were taking it as a silica supplement. i gave it to my cat as a dewormer and his fur got really soft, so i figured i'd try it too. there are companies that sell DE for human consumption; i don't know if there's a significant difference between that & what i got at the garden store. i haven't had any bad side effects.

Canarygirl
October 13th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I have a big bag of white silica powder that I bought from a cosmetics supply store. I've never used it. And I just forked over $$ for Biosil, too.

As for a sulpher scalp treatment, why not make one that contains egg yolks?

piratejenny23
October 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
egg yolks contain sulfur so that is a good idea, but...

i want to come up with something that will keep for a while & not be hard to wash out. are egg yolks hard to wash out?

and i've read some people's hair doesn't react well to protein. i've never paid enough attention to shampoo ingredients to notice whether my hair likes it or not. egg yolks would be a quick way to find out without buying yet another bottle of shampoo!

i have a few ounces of powdered sulfur, that's why i'm thinking of mixing something up.

Merkaba
October 13th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Well I'm not surprised that this is working for you...I am taking MSM which is basically sulphur and getting some good growth.:eek:

Here is a list of high-sulphur foods. Personally I wouldn't put any of this on my head lol:

Asparagus
Avocado
Blueberries
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Caluiflower
Cabbage
Carrots
Cheese
Cherries
Chives
Coconut
Eggs (Yokes) *
Garlic
Grapes
Grains
Kale
Kohlrab
Leeks
Legumes
Meat Protein
Mustard
Nuts & Seeds
Onions
Pak Choi
Parsley
Radishes
Red Peppers
Rutabaga
Shallot
Swiss Chard
Tomatoes
Turnips
Watercress

Amino Acids That Contain Sulphur

Cysteine
Taurine
Methionine

DragonLady
October 13th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I use eggs as part of a pre-shampoo treatment every week. I mix two egg yolks (remove all the whites), a tablespoon of molasses (not the unsulphered kind), two tablespoons of honey, and a tablespoon of oil (usually coconut oil). I rinse my hair, squeeze out the water and put it on my hair. Then I cover it with a plastic bag and wrap a towell around the bag. I leave it on for about an hour.

As far as diatomaceous earth, I know a couple of people who take it internally. But if you do, be sure to buy the "food grade" version, and not the regular garden-and-pool kind.

piratejenny23
October 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
As far as diatomaceous earth, I know a couple of people who take it internally. But if you do, be sure to buy the "food grade" version, and not the regular garden-and-pool kind.

thanks for pointing that out, DragonLady, as the pool grade is not safe for ingestion! however, the pool grade and garden grade are not the same; the pool stuff doesn't work in the garden and vice versa, so a person probably wouldn't be too likely to buy the wrong kind. however, if someone was reading about it and thought, "oh, i think i have a some of that around here somewhere," -- i never meant the pool-grade stuff!!!

i've chosen to use the bag that i already have ($11 for 4.4lb) but if anyone feels uncomfortable with that, there are companies that sell DE as a supplement for human consumption.

do you use that treatment for moisturizing or for hair growth? since eating molasses is supposedly so good for your hair, i've been wondering if i could apply it directly as well!

DragonLady
October 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
thanks for pointing that out, DragonLady, as the pool grade is not safe for ingestion! however, the pool grade and garden grade are not the same; the pool stuff doesn't work in the garden and vice versa, so a person probably wouldn't be too likely to buy the wrong kind. however, if someone was reading about it and thought, "oh, i think i have a some of that around here somewhere," -- i never meant the pool-grade stuff!!!

i've chosen to use the bag that i already have ($11 for 4.4lb) but if anyone feels uncomfortable with that, there are companies that sell DE as a supplement for human consumption.

do you use that treatment for moisturizing or for hair growth? since eating molasses is supposedly so good for your hair, i've been wondering if i could apply it directly as well!

I wasn't really addressing you specifically; just the world at large. There's a hardware store here in town that sells the stuff as non-toxic insecticide, but the fine print (very, very fine print) warns that it is not for ingestion. So I figured I should say something. :)

I use the egg/hone/molasses/oil treatment for protein, moisture and volume. Since I've been doing that my hair has become wavy and has more life to it then ever before. But the molasses does have sulphur, and so do the eggs, so it may help with growth some.

I probably should eat more molasses but no one else in the family likes it so a jar of it tends to last for years. Do you mix it with something? Or just drink it straight?

piratejenny23
October 14th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I probably should eat more molasses but no one else in the family likes it so a jar of it tends to last for years. Do you mix it with something? Or just drink it straight?

same here...a jar of molasses used to last a long time; i only used a spoonful here & there in my cornbread or chili recipes. i bought a bottle of blackstrap recently and found it bitter, so i put it into a squeeze bottle with maybe 20-25% "grandma's gold standard" which is a good deal more pleasant. i love it on bread or biscuits with butter but i just eat it from a spoon cuz i really don't need the extra butter!

ambychelle
October 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
DH and I have been reading about DE for a long time and finally decided to order some. We aren't Morman, but we've recently begun things like "food storage" similar to what the LDS church teaches so that we can be prepared should something like jobloss or worse hits our family. Anyway, we're going to try eating a spoon of DE daily and the rest we are going to use in the garden. It has so many uses that I think it's a good choice for "preparedness" reasons.

But, just today, I saw this video and it has me laughing really hard. The guy claims that DE helps to grow healthy hair that seems to just glow. GREAT! But on the other hand HE IS NEARLY BALD from what I can see. :cheese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQn6GSHNzBE

Thought you guys might get a kick out of that.

redneckprincess
October 14th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Ive heard of DE before but didnt know you could injest it, hmmm? We used to use it in our pool to keep it clean.(is that the stuff you are eating?)

do you have pics to prove? can you take some over the next few weeks, maybe Id try it... and why molassas? whay benifit does that have for hair growth

Sigzephyr
October 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Ive heard of DE before but didnt know you could injest it, hmmm? We used to use it in our pool to keep it clean.(is that the stuff you are eating?)

do you have pics to prove? can you take some over the next few weeks, maybe Id try it... and why molassas? whay benifit does that have for hair growth
Definately don't eat the pool stuff. You need to make sure you have food grade DE.

dor3girl
October 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
"are egg yolks hard to wash out? "

Yes. The hot water can "cook" the yolk, and then you get these yucky "stir-fry" clumps in your hair--EW!

Canarygirl
October 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
here is an interesting "article" about this product (the website sells it):

http://www.morethanalive.com/dep

piratejenny23
October 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM
why molasses? what benefit does that have for hair growth

it has iron & B vitamins in it, which supposedly help hair growth. it's an old home remedy for reversing gray hair. it's also a natural humectant, so it's often used in hair masks. i recommend googling "molasses hair health" or "molasses hair growth" for specifics.

piratejenny23
October 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
we've recently begun things like "food storage" similar to what the LDS church teaches so that we can be prepared should something like jobloss or worse hits our family.

just wanted to clarify that DE is used in food storage--specifically, mixed in to grains & flours--because it kills off bugs (by dehydrating them, not poisoning them) but is not toxic to humans.

i don't know specific proportions but i'm sure there's info on the google. :p also, i've read that if you eat commercial products like pancake mix, you're getting some DE already!

melikai
October 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I use egg (yolk) and honey as a shampoo, and don't find it difficult to wash out at all. I use warm to hot water, and haven't had it cook in my hair so far.

I also have quite protein-sensitive hair, and the protein in the egg yolk hasn't aggravated my hair.

Erin1152
October 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Ok.. i'm really bad when I read things like this... I just purchased 2 pounds from http://www.morethanalive.com/dep

I would be happy to document any progress I may get. I henna too, so it will be pretty easy to tell if I get increased growth!

If I don't, eh.. it sounds like it's really healthy any ways so I won't get too upset.

Syaoransbear
October 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Ok.. i'm really bad when I read things like this... I just purchased 2 pounds from http://www.morethanalive.com/dep

I would be happy to document any progress I may get. I henna too, so it will be pretty easy to tell if I get increased growth!

If I don't, eh.. it sounds like it's really healthy any ways so I won't get too upset.

you're not alone :oops: I ordered some too. I'll try anything to get faster growth, I'm so impatient, plus the younger your hair is the less damage it suffers from the elements, so faster growth is always a plus!

Debra83
October 15th, 2009, 11:12 PM
same here...a jar of molasses used to last a long time; i only used a spoonful here & there in my cornbread or chili recipes. i bought a bottle of blackstrap recently and found it bitter, so i put it into a squeeze bottle with maybe 20-25% "grandma's gold standard" which is a good deal more pleasant. i love it on bread or biscuits with butter but i just eat it from a spoon cuz i really don't need the extra butter!

Molasses has all the b vitamins, or I should say pretty close. Be careful eating it straight from the spoon. One family I read about did that, and it rotted out the kids' teeth. Don't forget, very concentrated.

Erin1152
October 16th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Syaoransbear
you're not alone I ordered some too. I'll try anything to get faster growth, I'm so impatient, plus the younger your hair is the less damage it suffers from the elements, so faster growth is always a plus!

:) We should both definitely document how it goes for the first month! I would love to see your progress too! I will probably start mine November 1st.

xxchoco
October 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I noticed that on the site (MTA) the shipping to Europe is ridiculously expensive! Like $30 ! >:O
Does anyone know where I could purchase DE cheaper? Maybe it's even sold somewhere were I live (Finland/Estonia)?

Thank you for any information! ヽ(´∀`*)ノ

piratejenny23
October 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
3/4" this week!

started at 30-1/2" on Oct 2nd
31" Oct 9th
31-3/4" Oct 16th

did another MTG treatment last night, washed this morning.
also added a few drops of amla/shikakai oil last night.
had very, very few hairs fall out during washing--looked like about 6

i had never measured my hair before joining LHC...just a general idea of "shoulder length" or "bra strap length". i colored my hair every 3-4 months (doing less now) and that helped me get a per-month average--usually 1/2" per month. i've double- and triple-checked my measurement and got my son to help me, just to make sure it's accurate, because this growth rate is crazy for me!

piratejenny23
October 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I noticed that on the site (MTA) the shipping to Europe is ridiculously expensive! Like $30 ! >:O
Does anyone know where I could purchase DE cheaper? Maybe it's even sold somewhere were I live (Finland/Estonia)?

Thank you for any information! ヽ(´∀`*)ノ

I checked the United States Postal Service and even sending a small package (1/2lb) to Europe is $30 and more.
You could try ebay.co.uk
Here in the US it is sold in garden stores.

Before you spend any significant amount of money on this, please consider that there could be a great difference in the quality of your water/soil/food compared to the US, and you may not be deficient in certain minerals/nutrients. You could just try taking a silica supplement, if those are easier to obtain.

Good luck!

Erin1152
October 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
piratejenny,

Which Shapleys MTG product do you use for your treatments?

piratejenny23
October 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
piratejenny,

Which Shapleys MTG product do you use for your treatments?
That's the name of it--Shapley's MTG.
Shapley's is the brand, MTG is the product.

http://www.shapleys.com/products_list.aspx

I have a small bottle, 6 oz, and have used less than 1oz per treatment.
It really seems to be helping with the dandruff, possibly growth as well but I don't know how much is from biotin & how much is from DE.

Erin1152
October 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Ahh, got it! :)

Your growth is simply amazing! I'm definitely trying what you're doing to get those amazing of results. I've been taking Biotin for about 8 months now and haven't really noticed any growth spurts (not to say it hasn't helped the condition of my new hair growing in!)

piratejenny23
October 16th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Ahh, got it! :)

Your growth is simply amazing! I'm definitely trying what you're doing to get those amazing of results. I've been taking Biotin for about 8 months now and haven't really noticed any growth spurts (not to say it hasn't helped the condition of my new hair growing in!)

It was after about 6-8 months of taking biotin that my growth sped up, and then it was 3-4 months after that before I or anyone started really noticing that my hair was getting longer, so don't despair :)

If you get the Shapley's I just want to reiterate that it smells weird! Like when you get lots & lots of campfire smoke in your hair...but stronger!

I put it on before bed then wrap my hair up in a turban or satin cap. I sleep alone, so it doesn't bother anyone but me :) It smells less strong by morning, and it washes out with my normal shampoo, but I always shampoo twice. Last night I also put in some amla/shikakai oil that I got at an Indian market, and it has a nice flowery smell. I washed my hair this morning and it's just about dry; there's no lingering smell from the MTG.

Good luck!

akka naeda
October 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Well I'm not surprised that this is working for you...I am taking MSM which is basically sulphur and getting some good growth.:eek:

Here is a list of high-sulphur foods. Personally I wouldn't put any of this on my head lol:
Asparagus
Avocado
Blueberries
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Caluiflower
Cabbage
Carrots
Cheese
Cherries
Chives
Coconut
Eggs (Yokes) *
Garlic
Grapes
Grains
Kale
Kohlrab
Leeks
Legumes
Meat Protein
Mustard
Nuts & Seeds
Onions
Pak Choi
Parsley
Radishes
Red Peppers
Rutabaga
Shallot
Swiss Chard
Tomatoes
Turnips
Watercress

Cysteine
Taurine
Methionine

I juice watercress, carrot, avocado and pear and when I make a point of drinking it regularly then it shows in how fast my hair grows. I take MSM and a multivit also and there is still a difference in growth when I drink the watercress juice and when I don't. Trouble is I have to clean the juicer and I really can't be doing with the hassle just to make my hair grow a bit faster/look a bit nicer:)

ETA my hair grows 1"/month normally, I think it's probably up to 1.5"/month with the juice, and this was last winter when it normally slows down slightly that I noticed this.

Erin1152
October 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by piratejenny23
It was after about 6-8 months of taking biotin that my growth sped up, and then it was 3-4 months after that before I or anyone started really noticing that my hair was getting longer, so don't despair :)

If you get the Shapley's I just want to reiterate that it smells weird! Like when you get lots & lots of campfire smoke in your hair...but stronger!

I put it on before bed then wrap my hair up in a turban or satin cap. I sleep alone, so it doesn't bother anyone but me :) It smells less strong by morning, and it washes out with my normal shampoo, but I always shampoo twice. Last night I also put in some amla/shikakai oil that I got at an Indian market, and it has a nice flowery smell. I washed my hair this morning and it's just about dry; there's no lingering smell from the MTG.

Good luck!

Thanks for the smell warning! I don't sleep alone - so it should be interesting! haha!

I just ordered the MTG. I'm so freakin excited that I could bust!

Do you just apply it to the scalp in a straight line from front to back, or should I massage it in all over?

piratejenny23
October 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the smell warning! I don't sleep alone - so it should be interesting! haha!

I just ordered the MTG. I'm so freakin excited that I could bust!

Do you just apply it to the scalp in a straight line from front to back, or should I massage it in all over?

You probably only need to do the MTG once a week at most, so at least it won't be daily torture for your partner :p

Yes, I part my hair and apply it from front to back, then part a section an inch or so over & apply, etc, like if you've ever dyed your roots. It distributes easily, so I just rub or comb it in a little. I don't want it down the length of my hair, so I try to keep it close to the scalp!
Then since I'm already greasy, I apply avocado oil to the ends & hair lotion to the length (I just started that a couple of weeks ago; I haven't really been doing anything special to my hair for the last few years but now I want to keep the ends healthy so I can grow it as long as possible!)

Syaoransbear
October 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
:) We should both definitely document how it goes for the first month! I would love to see your progress too! I will probably start mine November 1st.

Sure! I'm not sure when I'll start. I ordered it from within my country but it'll probably take a million years to get here anyway. :wail:

3azza
October 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Your growth makes sense since you were getting two important hair supplements: the biotin, and the silica from diatomaceous earth. congratulations for your growth success and thanks for shedding the light on it.

abritta3
October 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I am looking forward to trying this, especially since the winter months are upon us and my growth slows during this time :-(
I think I will research some more...and I would love to hear some more progress stories from others who will try!
Keep us updated for sure!

babybabycat
October 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I occasionally give my chicken Diatomaceous Earth to prevent worms. I have heard that only food grade Diatomaceous Earth should be ingested, (humans and animals).

Some people say that the internal organs cannot handle Diatomaceous Earth.

I would be careful about ingesting the stuff. It is also dangerous to inhale.

Spring
October 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I juice watercress, carrot, avocado and pear and when I make a point of drinking it regularly then it shows in how fast my hair grows. I take MSM and a multivit also and there is still a difference in growth when I drink the watercress juice and when I don't. Trouble is I have to clean the juicer and I really can't be doing with the hassle just to make my hair grow a bit faster/look a bit nicer:)

ETA my hair grows 1"/month normally, I think it's probably up to 1.5"/month with the juice, and this was last winter when it normally slows down slightly that I noticed this.

Do you put the avocado in the juicer or blender? I seems like it would be too mushy to blend.

piratejenny23
October 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I occasionally give my chicken Diatomaceous Earth to prevent worms. I have heard that only food grade Diatomaceous Earth should be ingested, (humans and animals).

Some people say that the internal organs cannot handle Diatomaceous Earth.

I would be careful about ingesting the stuff. It is also dangerous to inhale.

Even if you see 50-lb bags of DE for sale for animal use, they will say "food grade". Only "pool grade" is not "food grade", and I've had to look really hard to find it (not that I need it, just wanted to compare packaging).

If you research DE and read how it kills insects & parasites, it will sound dangerous, like eating broken glass! Yes, it is abrasive to tiny organisms. However,
it doesn't affect larger animals the same way.

It is a very, very fine, soft powder, like baby powder. No, you don't want to breathe it in or get in your eyes. But any fine powder can be irritating, including talc, psyllium dust, latex dust, ashes, etc.

I'm not recommending it, just sharing my experience. There are plenty of "normal" silica supplements out there for anyone who thinks DE is too weird or dangerous!

I still would like to hear about anyone's experience with or recipes for sulfur applied topically to the scalp :D

Talma
October 16th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I tried to find DE at my local natural food store and the vitamin expert kind of scared me out of using it. She said that they used to sell it for people who had parasites because the stuff would shred the parasites in the digestive track but the DE they sold was only for short term use not long term. According to one of the links that was posted earlier, this stuff is almost as hard as diamonds hence the shredding of parasites so I would be careful about using it long term. The lady at the store also said that I could try the gardening center at Home Depot but that would be risky as it may not be food grade and it could contain other additives. I agree with babybabycat that this stuff is dangerous to inhale. Almost as hard as diamonds?! Can you imagine breathing it in? I think I'll try akka naeda's juice recipe. I'm too freaked out to try DE. Now that I've thoroughly pooped on everyone's parade. Sorry! I was super excited too when I headed to the store for some. I just thought I should add my 2 cents. Don't hate me!

natorade
October 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I am thinking if trying this Shapelys MTG but is it only good for people with scalp disorders? or can anyone use it? Did anyone have any excess shedding when ther first started using it?

Sigzephyr
October 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I was going to try taking DE as a supplement but I'm concerned about the high levels of aluminium in it.
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1507662
http://www.nmia.com/~galenvtp/deanlsbw.htm
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1473831#i

piratejenny23
October 17th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I am thinking if trying this Shapelys MTG but is it only good for people with scalp disorders? or can anyone use it? Did anyone have any excess shedding when ther first started using it?

Shapley's is for skin disorders, and is in fact marketed for animals. However, it seems to have a sort of cult following for hair growth! http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-53959.html

I do have serious scalp issues, and have for 20 years. Since using the MTG only twice, I have had a 90-95% reduction in flakes & itching, and less shedding.

As I mentioned before, there is a formula for humans:
http://suluhair.com/

And, if you're only interested in growth, not scalp problems, sulfur seems to be the key. That's why I'm looking for sulfur recipes!

Erin1152
October 19th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Awesome. Now i'm timid about DE after purchasing 2 pounds! Does anyone know why it wouldn't hurt your GI tract and internal organs, but it shred parasites and bugs? I can't find that explanation anywhere. I keep reading people that have been taking it for years, but a lot of these people are selling it? Man, it sounds awesome, but I don't want to hurt my insides.

akka naeda
October 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Do you put the avocado in the juicer or blender? I seems like it would be too mushy to blend.

Blend the avocado and add it to the juice from the watercress, pear and carrot, sorry:)

piratejenny23
October 19th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Awesome. Now i'm timid about DE after purchasing 2 pounds! Does anyone know why it wouldn't hurt your GI tract and internal organs, but it shred parasites and bugs? I can't find that explanation anywhere. I keep reading people that have been taking it for years, but a lot of these people are selling it? Man, it sounds awesome, but I don't want to hurt my insides.

it is only harmful to insects with exoskeletons. in contrast, earthworms can digest it with no damage.

because of the size difference between us and insects, i think you would have to eat something like sand or gravel to get the same kind of damage factor.

you can decide when you get it. you'll see--it's very soft, like baby powder.

Spring
October 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Blend the avocado and add it to the juice from the watercress, pear and carrot, sorry:)

Thanks... In reading your response I saw that I typed " It seems that it would be too mushy to blend", I should of said "It seems that it would be too mushy to juice" :D. Thanks again.

wahmof9
October 19th, 2009, 03:41 PM
piratejenny23 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=25080) how do you take the DE...I have used it before but never taken it myself.

wahmof9
October 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
It irritates the exoskeleton of bugs and they die from dehydration.
I have used it on pets before. No problem.

piratejenny23
October 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM
piratejenny23 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=25080) how do you take the DE...I have used it before but never taken it myself.

i take a spoonful in a small glass of water. it doesn't dissolve, but i just stir it and then drink it quickly, before it settles. you could also probably put in juice.

my hair has just reached 32" now :) 1-1/2 inches of growth since Oct 2nd!

Sissy
October 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Asparagus
Avocado
Blueberries
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Caluiflower
Cabbage
Carrots
Cheese
Cherries
Chives
Coconut
Eggs (Yokes) *
Garlic
Grapes
Grains
Kale
Kohlrab
Leeks
Legumes
Meat Protein
Mustard
Nuts & Seeds
Onions
Pak Choi
Parsley
Radishes
Red Peppers
Rutabaga
Shallot
Swiss Chard
Tomatoes
Turnips
Watercress

Cysteine
Taurine
Methionine

Merkaba - great food list! I am also taking MSM and feel it is contributing to my recent good growth.

jojo
October 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
does anybody know of a place in the Uk online I can purchase this?
TIA

piratejenny23
October 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
does anybody know of a place in the Uk online I can purchase this?
TIA

which product?

wahmof9
October 19th, 2009, 08:23 PM
piratejenny23 would you mind listing the ingredients for the MTG?? If it is not too much trouble I would really appreciate it.;)

Demetrue
October 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have heard of very expensive spas using avocado masks as a hair treatment - just mash it up with some bananas and stick it on your head, then cover with shower cap for a while.

clairenewcastle
October 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have heard of very expensive spas using avocado masks as a hair treatment - just mash it up with some bananas and stick it on your head, then cover with shower cap for a while.

I have tried this in the past with very good results. In fact, the Body Shop used to do a banana hair conditioner which initially gave me the idea to use it. I tried adding some oil to the mix but it's conditioning enough without.

piratejenny23
October 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
piratejenny23 would you mind listing the ingredients for the MTG?? If it is not too much trouble I would really appreciate it.;)

Petroleum distillates, sulfur (4%), zinc stearate, glycerin, cade oil (rectified).

clairenewcastle
October 19th, 2009, 08:36 PM
i take a spoonful in a small glass of water. it doesn't dissolve, but i just stir it and then drink it quickly, before it settles. you could also probably put in juice.

my hair has just reached 32" now :) 1-1/2 inches of growth since Oct 2nd!

Your growth rate sounds incredible, are you sure it's entirely down to the DE and not a combination of factors like improved haircare and good overall diet? I googled DE.....eek! Not for me with my history of stomach ulcers. As for the suggestion it contains aluminium....to me it just doesn't sound safe.

piratejenny23
October 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
yes, i'm sure; it's the only thing i've changed in over a year.

clairenewcastle
October 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
yes, i'm sure; it's the only thing i've changed in over a year.

Then it's obviously working for you which is great :). I guess there are advantages and disadvantages with taking any supplements....if you feel happy taking it then stick with it and keep us posted on any further growth!
Good luck :)

piratejenny23
October 19th, 2009, 09:29 PM
thanks. like i've said before, i think it's the silica in the DE, but there are many sources of silica that are not DE!

wahmof9
October 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Petroleum distillates, sulfur (4%), zinc stearate, glycerin, cade oil (rectified).

Thank you!:)

clairenewcastle
October 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM
thanks. like i've said before, i think it's the silica in the DE, but there are many sources of silica that are not DE!

It's interesting you mentioned silica, I've taken that recently as a homeopathic remedy - it didn't make any difference in all honesty.
Supplements like this fascinate me. What works for one person doesn't seem to work for another so I'm glad something is working for you :)

Syaoransbear
October 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I got the DE in the mail today. The texture is so fine it's like flour. I'm drinking it right now and it doesn't taste bad at all. It's like if you went outside and licked a rock, it would probably taste like this. I probably wouldn't be able to taste it at all if I drank it with something flavored. I think I'll mix it in with chocolate milk next time, but it's perfectly fine to drink with just water. It does settle to the bottom of the cup really quickly and that last bit of really concentrated DE at the bottom was pretty brutal to get down.

My hair is dyed so it's super easy for me to tell how much growth I'm getting from my roots. Right now I have just under an inch of roots. Last time I dyed my hair was September 9th. Hopefully this will contribute to a bit of growth because I accidentally ordered twice the amount I wanted. :dizzy:

jojo
October 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM
which product?
Sorry Jenny i was a bit vague there! the diatomaceous earth im amazed at your results, I am also wondering as the diatomaceous earth can be used a detox I have digestive problems and wonder if toxins in the colon could also contribute to retarded hair growth, I may be totally off here btw but figured if I am working ok on the inside, the outside bits (hair!) may work or rather grow better!

piratejenny23
October 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry Jenny i was a bit vague there! the diatomaceous earth im amazed at your results, I am also wondering as the diatomaceous earth can be used a detox I have digestive problems and wonder if toxins in the colon could also contribute to retarded hair growth, I may be totally off here btw but figured if I am working ok on the inside, the outside bits (hair!) may work or rather grow better!

sorry, i'm not sure about sources in the UK. sometimes it is known as fossil shell flour; it might be easier to find under that name.

if you're doing a detox/having digestive troubles, bentonite clay is also wonderful (and doesn't seem to have as many detractors as DE). i was having terrible problems with acid reflux for several months, and taking bentonite clay has helped me immensely. it's a bit off-topic, so send me a private message if you'd like more info.

jel
October 20th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Jojo, I have found DE on the omlet.co.uk site (if you google UK websites quite a few come up selling animal health products, but this one was the cheapest I saw).

I also have digestive problems and was thinking along the same lines as you!

ETA: Thanks for posting your experience with this, piratejenny!

jojo
October 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks Jel and Jenny.

Jenny I have sent you a friend request so i can pm you x

Iron0Maiden
October 20th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Does eating foods high in sulfer help your hair grow, or do you need to mash it up and put it in your hair such as avacado or eggs?

jojo
October 20th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I have just ordered some from this site http://holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=476 maybe useful for Ukers!

ETA- Holland and barratt do a molasses suplement for less than a fiver, Ive just ordered some online, will keep you all updated on any changes to my growth. I am so excited, hope I get the results Jenny has had and a million thanks for sharing this Jenny.

piratejenny23
October 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Does eating foods high in sulfer help your hair grow, or do you need to mash it up and put it in your hair such as avacado or eggs?

putting treatments on your SCALP (not your hair) might help it to grow, but it doesn't seem to me that having it in your hair for a few minutes a week would make a drastic difference (that's why i like the sulfur oil; i can leave it on overnight). i think eating sulfur-rich foods would be more beneficial...and delicious...and less messy :p next time i get some vitamins, i'm going to get an MSM sulfur supplement. i keep reading good things about it, and i have a lot of knee pain/problems, so it would be awesome if it helps me with that, even if it doesn't affect my hair!

wahmof9
October 20th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I was very excited about this and contacted the company who sales the DE. It does contain aluminum so I don't think I'll be getting it. My hair is not worth my health. Unless someone tells me this is harmless.:confused:

Sigzephyr
October 21st, 2009, 12:14 AM
I was very excited about this and contacted the company who sales the DE. It does contain aluminum so I don't think I'll be getting it. My hair is not worth my health. Unless someone tells me this is harmless.:confused:
I believe it has 1100 micrograms of aluminium per gram, which i consider a lot.

akka naeda
October 21st, 2009, 02:54 AM

Yes, that's why I posted about the watercress juice mix (which also speeds up my nail growth). It's the same as taking vitamins. I don't think anyone would mash up a vitamin capsule and put that on their scalp:).

Bene
October 21st, 2009, 03:12 AM
Alright, I'm willing to guinea pig myself in the name of long hair :D

Just ordered a pound. When it comes in, I'll try to see if there's any change in my length and keep any interested parties posted.

Rapunzal2Be
October 22nd, 2009, 01:54 AM
I was all excited about this yesterday, but consulted my Mom whom I trust to give me a good opinion and advice and she said, "NO WAY, please don't do it!" so yeah, my bubble is burst. :(

But at the mention of MTG, which I've heard a lot about before, I decided to do a little research and I am going to get some sulfur powder and make up my own concoction (cheaper and less stinky than MTG). So I'm hoping for some success with that!

And my DH just told me to leave well enough alone because my hair is growing fast already and looking so healthy.

MakeLoveNotWar
October 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
I am really, really tempted to try this! You got such great results Jenny, and I want results like that! I guess there is no harm in trying right?

piratejenny23
October 22nd, 2009, 02:31 PM
I am really, really tempted to try this! You got such great results Jenny, and I want results like that! I guess there is no harm in trying right?

well if you read this thread, there are a bunch of people saying there IS harm in trying DE! but i'm sure there's no harm in trying a silica supplement.

i did get my first improvement in growth by taking biotin.

i bought a bottle of MSM sulfur today--because i'm not crazy about the MTG smell!

Cinnamon Hair
October 22nd, 2009, 09:46 PM
My hair has always grown really really slowly, about 1/2" per month.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but 1/2 inch of growth per month, or 6 inches of growth per year (may be more or less per month but averages to 6" a year) is *exactly* the average growth rate.

Is it only scalp hair that has sped up or all body hair?

piratejenny23
October 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Is it only scalp hair that has sped up or all body hair?

Oh, it's all over. Look at my pretty mustache!

TiaKitty
October 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM

ROFLMAO!!! That's too funny, piratejenny!

I've been drinking bamboo tea, just steeping leaves of regular bamboo, which is a good source of silica. Kind of nice tasting, if mowing the lawn on a summer day came in a drink form.

Cinnamon Hair
October 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM

:rollin: Nice 'stache.

Shiva
October 22nd, 2009, 10:55 PM
I've been hearing alot here and there about DE due to my latest pet project: Chickens!

Now I am hearing about how it's good for internal parasites and fleas and tics for dogs, cats, etc.

and NOW it'll make hair grow?

This seems too good to be true. I am intrigued.

Syaoransbear
October 22nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
It makes sense that DE would help your hair since it's like 85% silica, and when you are taking a heaping tablespoon a day that's a buttload of silica. Bargello's regimen only calls for an extra 500mg, but you're probably getting like 10grams of silica depending on just how 'heaping' your tablespoon happens to be.

natorade
October 23rd, 2009, 01:25 AM
putting treatments on your SCALP (not your hair) might help it to grow, but it doesn't seem to me that having it in your hair for a few minutes a week would make a drastic difference (that's why i like the sulfur oil; i can leave it on overnight). i think eating sulfur-rich foods would be more beneficial...and delicious...and less messy :p next time i get some vitamins, i'm going to get an MSM sulfur supplement. i keep reading good things about it, and i have a lot of knee pain/problems, so it would be awesome if it helps me with that, even if it doesn't affect my hair!
Piratejenny what kind of sulphur oil are you using?

piratejenny23
October 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
the sulfur oil i am using is called Shapley's MTG. it's really sulfur mixed with oils.

i realized my "heaping" tablespoon is more like 2 teaspoons. i just have a plastic spoon stuck in the jar of DE and assumed it was about a tablespoon.

i read that some people use DE for chelation & detox (as well as parasites), so it's best to build up from 1/2 teaspoon or one might feel ill from detoxing too quickly &/or parasite die-off.

:horse:
After some posters left warnings about the aluminum content of DE, i did a bit of reading. i'm no scientist or nutritionist and i don't want to get into a big debate about this, but there were some claims that the aluminum in DE is not bioavailable. the earth's crust is over 8% aluminum (http://education.jlab.org/glossary/abund_ele.html); if it's bioavailable in dirt, wouldn't we be poisoning ourselves every time we eat a carrot or potato?

there is a very complete article about aluminum on this site:
http://www.eoearth.org/article/Public_Health_Statement_for_Aluminum (excerpts follow):

How can aluminum enter and leave my body?

When you eat aluminum in your food or drink it in liquids, very little goes from your stomach into your bloodstream. Most aluminum leaves your body quickly in the feces. The small amount of aluminum that does enter the bloodstream leaves in the urine. You breathe in very little aluminum from the air, and very little can enter your body through the skin.

An average adult in the United States eats about 7–9 mg of aluminum per day in their food. People are exposed to aluminum in some cosmetics, such as deodorants, and in pharmaceuticals such as antacids, buffered aspirin, and intravenous fluids. Antacids have 300–600 mg aluminum hydroxide (approximately 104–208 mg of aluminum) per tablet/capsule/5 milliliters. Buffered aspirin may contain 10–20 mg of aluminum per tablet.

MakeLoveNotWar
October 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
I am definitely going to try this. Like someone else said, I don't mind being a guinea pig!

vdhendrix
October 25th, 2009, 04:35 AM
i want to start taking silica so bad but i cant find it anywere, i have tried wal-mart, target, GNC, and sallys and i dont know were any health food stores are were i live, does anyone, know any stores that do sell it or were i could buy it online?

pdy2kn6
October 25th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I think some of us need proof, you should take pics of your hair over the next few days to document how its growing, because 1/2 an inch in 4 days sounds crazy!!!!! congradulations though...very very lucky!

natorade
October 25th, 2009, 04:02 PM
i want to start taking silica so bad but i cant find it anywere, i have tried wal-mart, target, GNC, and sallys and i dont know were any health food stores are were i live, does anyone, know any stores that do sell it or were i could buy it online?
I actually just ordered some gelatin & silicon capsules on line. It is a swanson product.

piratejenny23
October 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I think some of us need proof, you should take pics of your hair over the next few days to document how its growing, because 1/2 an inch in 4 days sounds crazy!!!!! congradulations though...very very lucky!

so i'm a crazy lucky liar? gee, thanks.

i'm not selling anything here. i don't have anything to prove. i'll take pictures when i durn well feel like it, but i doubt there will be any visible progress in less than 2 or 3 months.

Syaoransbear
October 25th, 2009, 09:09 PM
How can there not be any visible progress in less than 2 or 4 months when you gained an inch in the first two weeks :S, that's pretty visible to me!

piratejenny23
October 25th, 2009, 09:35 PM
because i can't make sure my chin is in the EXACT SAME position every time i take a picture. if i tilt my head forward, my hemline touches my bra strap. if i tilt back, it reaches past my tailbone...almost 12" difference. it's easy to be off by an inch or so even when i think i'm holding my head straight.

all i can do is measure the TLHC way...hairline, over the head, down the back.

i really want to get a trim, too, but is that going to "disprove" my growth rate to all the negative nellies?

i thought this was supposed to be a SUPPORTIVE community!

piratejenny23
October 25th, 2009, 10:39 PM
oh, and another rave about SULFUR!!!

i lent my bottle of MTG to my neighbor last Monday 10/19. her little dog Mindy had puppies earlier this year, and almost all her fur from her shoulder blades back to her tail & down to her legs fell out, and hasn't grown back much in over 6 months. she's a cute golden color but she looked almost grey because of her skin showing through, and she was always gnawing on herself.

well i warned my friend about the smell, and she tried the MTG anyway! she said the very next day she thought Mindy looked better, but she told herself she must be imagining it. after 4 or 5 days though, there was no denying it--even her 5 sons noticed it. also, Mindy has been much happier and friendlier because her skin isn't itching. i hadn't seen her since last monday, and she's looking much prettier! still very patchy but the grey spots look smaller already.

my friend has been rubbing a little on her scalp too, and thinks her hair is falling out less. she's going to buy another bottle to share with her aunt & mom, so the 4 of us can compare our experiment results. oh, i mean 5--sorry, Mindy! :p

LittleOrca
October 25th, 2009, 10:46 PM

This is a supportive community, but I believe that they are searching for in their requests is some visual proof that the item in question is working. Not many people would leap in and buy something without knowing someone who has had good results they can see or without seeing those results in images that were not photo shopped (yes, hard to find nowadays I know.)

There are lots of people out there selling "snake oil" to cure or fix this, that, and the other thing (usually things we dislike about ourselves, in this case that our hair is not as long as we like.) I know you are not selling the product personally, but your posts are endorsing it and visual proof is all they are asking for.

piratejenny23
October 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM
"some of us need proof, you should take pics of your hair over the next few days"

this sounded to me like a challenge & just really rubbed me the wrong way, but then i've never liked being told what i "should" do. sorry if i overreacted, but

"could you please take pictures, i would love to see your progress" is how i would word a request.

i really just wanted to share a positive experience, but i feel like i've been dogpiled. i noticed this on some other threads, too; specifically, someone posted a recipe for a hair mask that had made her hair really soft, and it contained salt & bentonite clay. and there were pages and pages of people criticizing her & saying that salt & bentonite would dry out hair & they would never try it & nobody else should either. now how does that add to the discussion?

also, someone asked me if my supplements were making my body hair grow faster. maybe they just joking but it felt like ridicule. i have worked in several health food stores & am familiar with many lines of supplements; my aunt is a hairdresser; both my mother and grandmother suffered with alopecia and tried many supplements & home remedies; but NEVER have i heard anyone say that anything they've taken for their "head hair" has made them hairy all over.

i think silica & biotin & sulfur are helping my hair grow, and i don't mean to endorse any brand any more than saying "eating more protein is helping my hair grow" would be an endorsement of mcdonalds.

Rapunzal2Be
October 26th, 2009, 05:04 AM
"some of us need proof, you should take pics of your hair over the next few days"

this sounded to me like a challenge & just really rubbed me the wrong way, but then i've never liked being told what i "should" do. sorry if i overreacted, but

"could you please take pictures, i would love to see your progress" is how i would word a request.

i really just wanted to share a positive experience, but i feel like i've been dogpiled. i noticed this on some other threads, too; specifically, someone posted a recipe for a hair mask that had made her hair really soft, and it contained salt & bentonite clay. and there were pages and pages of people criticizing her & saying that salt & bentonite would dry out hair & they would never try it & nobody else should either. now how does that add to the discussion?

also, someone asked me if my supplements were making my body hair grow faster. maybe they just joking but it felt like ridicule. i have worked in several health food stores & am familiar with many lines of supplements; my aunt is a hairdresser; both my mother and grandmother suffered with alopecia and tried many supplements & home remedies; but NEVER have i heard anyone say that anything they've taken for their "head hair" has made them hairy all over.

i think silica & biotin & sulfur are helping my hair grow, and i don't mean to endorse any brand any more than saying "eating more protein is helping my hair grow" would be an endorsement of mcdonalds.

I for one am sorry that you took the requests or statements the wrong way - or were hurt by them.

But I think it is a fair request to see the wonderful progress you've experienced. :D I don't think anyone here was trying to tell you what to do, call you a liar, or ridicule you.

babybabycat
October 26th, 2009, 06:49 AM
;)

This is a supportive community!

For example: One shampoo that works wonders on my hair will probably give another split ends. Keep in mind that something that works for one may not work for another.

PirateJenny, Congrats on the new growth and I hope you continue to have success. I also wish everyone here health, happiness and hair growth! You will find that this is a supportive community, it is a fun place to be. Glad you're here!

MakeLoveNotWar
October 26th, 2009, 07:30 AM
PirateJenny you may have already answered this, but what is your hair type? Like is it fine, thick, on the drier side, etc.? Because I've come to find that people with similar hair types have similar success with growth products. Thanks!

akka naeda
October 26th, 2009, 08:17 AM

I have, and not just me but people I've recommended MSM to. Not "hairy all over", but what speeds up head hair growth speeds up body hair growth - underarm hair etc, but it won't for example cause you to grow a beard unless you're male:) (and nail growth will speed up) too, I think other people on this forum have also found this but they are probably not reading this thread.

omgkfclolz
October 26th, 2009, 10:26 AM
i wanna see pics. and i wanna try this but i'm scared. if being a guinea pig means ruining my health, or death then forget it.

LittleOrca
October 26th, 2009, 10:33 AM
i wanna see pics. and i wanna try this but i'm scared. if being a guinea pig means ruining my health, or death then forget it.

I am not sure it will kill you, unless you overdose it to the extreme or choak on the water you take it with. :) However, finding the right vitamins and minerals combination could help. Take some silica pills (be sure to get the right ones,) MSM hair-skin-nails herbal pill, and perhaps some more biotin. Check your biotin levels though. The hair-skin-nails pills usually contain some of it in there, and taking 10mg (10,000mcg) a day is considered safe, so I read.

Spring
October 26th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Yes, that's why I posted about the watercress juice mix (which also speeds up my nail growth). It's the same as taking vitamins. I don't think anyone would mash up a vitamin capsule and put that on their scalp:).

:D I was actually thinking about doing something similar to this last night :). I have the msm capsules that you can just pull apart (no crushing, it's pretty easy). I was just thinking of maybe putting it in coconut oil, for an overnite treatment. It's amazing what ideas we can come up with while reading these threads :)

wahmof9
October 26th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Aluminum is very toxic and has been connected to Alzheimer's.

In patients having Alzheimer's disease the brain is somewhat shrunken and, on postmortum examination, a definite loss of nervous tissue is noted. Examination of the brain tissues under a microscope reveals small bundles of material called senile plaques, scattered throughout the tissues. The more plaques that are present, the worse is the mental condition of the patient. Chemical analysis reveals the presence of the metal aluminum at the core of each plaque and within many of the cells found in the plaques. Evidence is accumulating to indicate that aluminum may be involved in the formation of the plaques, and it is therefore a prime suspect as the initial cause of the disease.

Erin1152
October 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
That's really odd.. On websites selling the stuff, they have this quote. "It is even said to prevent and lessen the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease by deterring aluminum absorption in to the body." Who really knows besides someone who has been taking long term? It's all experimental.

Canarygirl
October 26th, 2009, 11:34 AM
FWIW, I stopped taking my hair vitamins (with horsetail) and the Biosil I recently started due to increased frequency and severety of migraines. When you get two nasty, lose the entire day migraines in a single week, it's time to take stock and try to identify the cause....

MakeLoveNotWar
October 27th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Well I just got my 1lb bag of DE in the mail today and took my first teaspoon! I've also upped my biotin dosage a bit, so we will see what kind of results i get in a few weeks. I am very excited and hope I get some good growth!

rchorr
October 27th, 2009, 06:45 PM
I've been lurking here, and I started looking for DE. Neither feed store (1 was Farm 'n Fleet ... I thought they had EVERYTHING!), neither healthfood store, and the 1 garden store I went to had any. We're talking about an area that has LOTS of agriculture. I was a bit surprized!

RCHORR'

MakeLoveNotWar
October 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
So today I took my 4th tbsp of DE, and I don't want to get my hopes up, but I swear by my tattoo that it feels longer already! I also upped my biotin and have been doing more scalp massages, so maybe all these things combined are finally working! Like I said I don't want to get my hopes up, but I have a good feeling about this. :D

Erin1152
November 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Just a warning to those who may or are trying this.. be careful.

Last night I took my first serving. When I put water in my glass, there ended up being a small cloud of dust that rose from the glass. I've been freaked out ever since last night and have done a ton of research today. Apparently the stuff is very hazardous to your lungs if breathed in. Workers in fields like construction often come down with silicosis which is life threatening. I don't know if I did damage after one time.. but I think i've scared myself off from doing it again. I just pray i'm ok.

ladycatpurrs
November 3rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
Hmm, let me see, so far I have put pet condish on my hair (mega-tek), various Indian herbs, (some smelly), take vitamins that I knew might break my face out (they did), invested in many quality hair tools and toys and had bird seed for breakfast (millet, I felt like the Road Runner) but eating something that I sprinkle around to kill bugs in my chicken fence? I think I will wait to see how many people that are posting now that they are using it continue to come on here and post. Not to see if it is working, just to make sure that my fellow long hairs aren't dropping like flies, LOL! Knowing my luck, this is exactly what my body needs to shoot out a foot of loveliness from my head before Christmas and I am passing it up! I hope it gives everybody great growth.

Syaoransbear
November 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM

Last night I took my first serving. When I put water in my glass, there ended up being a small cloud of dust that rose from the glass. I've been freaked out ever since last night and have done a ton of research today. Apparently the stuff is very hazardous to your lungs if breathed in. Workers in fields like construction often come down with silicosis which is life threatening. I don't know if I did damage after one time.. but I think i've scared myself off from doing it again. I just pray i'm ok.

To be honest I'm not sure a little poof of this stuff in the air once a day is going to the do the same damage as working with it in the air 8 hours a day for 30 years will. This stuff settles to the bottom of the cup so quickly that just standing an arms length away while pouring it in would probably be good enough for it to settle to the floor.

MakeLoveNotWar
November 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM
I always just turn my head away when I open the bag, and I've never really inhaled any

wahmof9
November 3rd, 2009, 03:11 PM

I have used it with my animals and we always made sure we had masks. It is very dangerous inhaled because it is an abrasive. DE is
made from tiny fossilized water plants.

I used it as a pesticide.

wahmof9
November 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
I found more info on the aluminum content which does show on a hair analysis.

"The author also noted an increase in aluminum in his hair analysis while DEtoxing with PermaGuard's product.."

" I feel that 1100 parts per million is way too high to ignore. If water had that much it would be considered too toxic to drink. The amount of silicon is miniscule compared to the aluminum."

"I consulted a couple biologists and chemical bioligists at work, they all made a face or an uh-oh expression at that amount of aluminum in something that would be intended for consuming, and none of them said they'd take it themselves."

Syaoransbear
November 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
I fell off the wagon taking this stuff because I've been working so much and our house is getting renovated so I'm not actually around here very much, but the toxic levels of aluminum don't really bother me. It's not like I'm going to take it as a supplement for life.

Bene
November 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
I totally forgot about this thread, but I sort of have an update.

I've been taking this stuff for a little over a week. I've also been taking GNC Hair, Skin, & Nails Formula consistently.

I probably should have measure my hair just before I started taking it, but, my growth for all of October has been exactly 1 inch. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, since this is only the progress for one month, and maybe I mis-measured last month. I'll know for certain at the beginning of December.

Progress shots are in my album in case anyone is interested. It doesn't look like significant growth since it's only 1 inch, and my hair is curly. The only way to see anything would be over the course of a few months.

free_hug
November 4th, 2009, 02:29 AM
In Hungary DE pills are a very common cure against hair loss, and some people also ue it for just hair growth/thickness in general. As much as i've heard, it's good against hairloss, but effects vary a lot when someone just takes it to improve hair growth rate, or the thickness of hair that's healthy to begin with.

Anyone has the right to try though, it might as well work.

free_hug
November 4th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Addendum: my mom used to take it for months for her baby fine hair and soft nails, and saw no improvement at all. I heard of no other first hand experience. Her hair is naturally fine and thin though, and results may be better for people who have lost hair because of stress or illness.

MakeLoveNotWar
November 4th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I totally forgot about this thread, but I sort of have an update.

I've been taking this stuff for a little over a week. I've also been taking GNC Hair, Skin, & Nails Formula consistently.

I probably should have measure my hair just before I started taking it, but, my growth for all of October has been exactly 1 inch. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, since this is only the progress for one month, and maybe I mis-measured last month. I'll know for certain at the beginning of December.

Progress shots are in my album in case anyone is interested. It doesn't look like significant growth since it's only 1 inch, and my hair is curly. The only way to see anything would be over the course of a few months.

Make sure you keep updating your progress, because I'm curious to see if it works for you. I have only been taking it about a week, and I swear it feels longer. Then again it could be my imagination. I'm not very good at taking pics of my hair (they always look different!) so it's hard to tell :confused:

pdy2kn6
November 4th, 2009, 07:56 AM
is silica the stuff thats in cucumbers?

jel
November 4th, 2009, 10:53 AM
is silica the stuff thats in cucumbers?

No, that's seeds. :D

To make this a quality post, here's Wikipedia on silica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica).

KarenH1
November 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Wow, that just seems so quick!! I have never had results like that in any product I have used. Thank you.

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Well mine hasnt come yet. I have emailed them but no reply which is quite frustrating!

I hope I get some good results too.

lhangel9
November 4th, 2009, 07:09 PM
it is only harmful to insects with exoskeletons. in contrast, earthworms can digest it with no damage.

because of the size difference between us and insects, i think you would have to eat something like sand or gravel to get the same kind of damage factor.

you can decide when you get it. you'll see--it's very soft, like baby powder.

piratejenny is Right! A few of my family members have used it for years and their hair and nails have grown ridiculously long. I was afraid at first due to the aluminum content, but I became brave and have been using it for 1 week and 4 days. I DID have a parasite problem -- Now Gone:cheese: I don't mean to sound gross or anything but even my fecal matter no longer has a horrid scent (I think this is due to the full cleansing of my colon from taking DE). Haven't seen any phenominal results (yet) but my hair is so much softer than it used to be, my nails are not as brittle and it does appear that my hair has grown although very little but more than normal. But what do you want after only taking it for just over 1 week? I think that DE works on us individually. If your body lacks a certain amount of silica than DE would make up for it and you would see the results accordingly (Gee I'm beginning to sound like a distributor or something :)) but trust me - I'M Not!! Although it may be harmful to small insects, parasites, etc. I don't think it could even have the same harmful effects on us Humans. I have much more energy than before. I can't wait to use it for a complete 3 months. I will also measure my hair growth then. I'm currently at BSL (23" to be exact). In 3 months I'll measure again. Knowing myself, I'll probably measure every month for 3 months straight. Oh guess what also I lost 2 pounds. I know that's not a lot, but I think it was the cleansing that did it. Well enough for now. I'm going to keep visiting this topic and hope to hear other results - positive or otherwise.

lhangel9
November 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Also, DE looks and feels like baby powder. I purchased a 4 pound bag for $13 at a garden store. I sprinkled a little in my chihuahua's feeding bowl and guess what? It dewormed her and she has been doing fine. Felt a little guilty and took her to the Vet. He said that she was as fit and healthy as ever. I told him that I'd been giving her DE. He said it was 100% healthy for both pets and humans:cheese:

jojo
November 4th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Oh I never thought of this, my dog is doing the 'bum walk' thing across the floor, i was going to worm her this weekend, hopefully my DE will arrive soon and she can have some.

audeo
November 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'm in!! I'm not really interested in length as much as strength, since my hair is fine and I do a lot of damage to it, color, heat, etc. :o
Hopefully, the silica should help out. I got my DE and started a tablespoon a day, but I have also been looking for more information. I found this on curezone:

Taking DE by the spoonful will not be as effective as adding it to a large volume of water, letting it settle out then drinking the water. Silica is very poorly absorbed, so taking a half or full teaspoon at one time will not increase absorption. It will only mean more passing right through the system. This is why I add a spoonful to a gallon of water. Then I let it settle out. The water will dissolve a tiny amount of the silica forming orthosilicic acid. The excess silica settles to the bottom as a mud. I leave that there. Then I drink the water above the mud throughout the day. This allows me to absorb a small amount of the silica each time I take a drink. This will improve absorption even if stomach acid is low. As the water level goes down I add more water to dissolve a little more of the silica. Just keep repeating this process. A spoon full of silica will last several years. but I usually change out the silica about every 6 months. The additional advantage comes from the higher daily levels being absorbed. To understand this lets say a capsule of silica contains 500mg. And let's say that the body only absorbs 1mg each time you take a capsule. If taking capsules 3 times daily as most capsules are supposed to be used this would a total of 3mg being absorbed daily. That is based on people actually complying and taking 3 times daily like they should. Now if you absorb 1mg per glass of water with DE dissolved in it and you drink an average of 8 to 14 glasses of water throughout the day we can see you end up with a lot more silica in your system at the end of each day.

Makes sense to me, so I'll be testing it out, just drinking the water. I read that DE is supposed to help lower blood pressure and cholestorol too. Don't know if the 'water' method will produce those lowering results?? But if it strengthens hair, it should strengthen bones and skin as well. I don't expect to see real results for several months, but I'll post what I experience. Seems better than more supplements!

MakeLoveNotWar
November 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Ok I have finally found a good way to measure my hair growth! I have a tattoo on the back of my neck and instead of trying to eyeball it or take pictures that will look different every time, I'm just going to measure from the bottom of my tattoo! Right now, the ends fall about 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches below the bottom. I will try to keep updating and wish me luck!

Shiva
November 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I want to get DE not only for me, but for my animals, too.

Thanks for sharing all your positive experiences.

gmdiaz
November 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I just ordered the DE from Wolfcreek Ranch (http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/buy_diatomaceous_earth.html#)

Will post results. . .good, bad or ugly.

"Food grade diatomaceous earth is great for the human family members as well. Overly toxic persons might experience a "healing crisis", as their system is detoxing too quickly, so it is suggested to start with a small dose and work up to the heaping tablespoon over a period of a few days or weeks, to help avoid this situation."

Editing to add: Regarding a possible "healing crisis" period. Read here for possible unpleasant reactions in the very beginning. Just something to consider (http://www.boducci.com/node/3) before embarking. :cool:

piratejenny23
November 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM
well i just wanted to give a little update. i haven't used the Shapley's MTG in 3 weeks, and my hair has barely grown 1/2". it grew 1/2" per week for a couple of weeks.

i gave my MTG to my friend for her dog, which lost almost all her hair after having puppies, and she is looking super-healthy and about 80% of the lost hair has grown back in 3 weeks. she actually looked better only 5 days after 1 application! i bought a new bottle yesterday, am going to do a treatment tonight & try to get back in the habit of a weekly treatment.

i'm not concerned with length so much as (1) NOT having handfuls of hair fall out every day, (2) having a healthy scalp* and (3) fewer split ends. however, stress seems to affect my hair immediately, so when my hair is healthy & growing fast i feel it means i have a good overall balance of nutrients & am not losing my mind!

i started taking MSM sulfur capsules a couple of weeks ago and it seems i only lose 2 or 3 hairs now when i brush--also, i used to lose a few hairs every time i ran my fingers through my hair, and there were always several strands on my scrunchies, but now there are none. between the biotin, sulfur, and DE my hair loss has slowed significantly and even if my hair isn't growing fast, the longer it stays on my head, the longer my potential "terminal length" might be, right?

*if you have dandruff, msg me or check out my blog...after 20 years of misery, i seem to have found relief!

jojo
November 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
still waiting for mine to arrive, delay due to postal strikes AHHHHHHHH the frustration!

Shiva
November 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I am watching this thread.

http://www.emoticons.free.fr/smileys/zz-Uncategorized/scientist.gif

Rosamunde
November 11th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I am watching this thread.

http://www.emoticons.free.fr/smileys/zz-Uncategorized/scientist.gif

me too - this is fascinating!

MakeLoveNotWar
November 11th, 2009, 10:47 PM
So I'm thinking about wearing my hair up all next week and only taking it down to wash, then measure how much growth I've had in a week. It will at least feel longer after being up all week, so we'll see!

Hydrilus
November 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
So piratejenny...

I read the large majority of this topic but it seemed things getting repeated so much got me confused about what is causing the hair growth for you....

Have you pinpointed what it is? or what the combination of things are that causes it?

You said you've been taking biotin, sulfur stuff, DE...and? Just curious to get a kind of "summary" of this topic or something so I'm not confused anymore lol

edit: Maybe we could compile a few places to buy DE online for those of us too lazy to go to a garden store haha... So far in this topic, I've seen these two places mentioned:
and
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/buy_diatomaceous_earth.html#

Is this DE on Amazon the same?
http://www.amazon.com/GreenSense-Diatomaceous-Earth-10-lb/dp/B00025H2PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1258009831&sr=8-1

pdy2kn6
November 12th, 2009, 12:21 AM
so i'm a crazy lucky liar? gee, thanks.

i'm not selling anything here. i don't have anything to prove. i'll take pictures when i durn well feel like it, but i doubt there will be any visible progress in less than 2 or 3 months.

haha I wasn't calling you a liar, I am just saying, like you said, sometimes it may appear more or less depending on perhaps where you angle your chin, it may be leaning up a bit more or less a bit more when measuring, leading to different results on the tape measurer. If it has been working, I am sure you will be able to notice a really significiant change in the next few months. I am including as much silica in to my diet as possible now anyway (thanks to your advice), I managed to find a shop that sold 3 big cucumbers for a pound...silica diet lol

pdy2kn6
November 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM

lol, I am sorry if it came across like that!!! I was just suggesting that alot of us would need proof before we do go out and buy the product, because 1/2 in 4 days sounds unreal, amazing but only something you could dream about. I think this is one of them occasions which is on another thread about people just having a different way of putting things across dependent on cultural backgrounds and stuff.

piratejenny23
November 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM
So piratejenny...

I read the large majority of this topic but it seemed things getting repeated so much got me confused about what is causing the hair growth for you....

Have you pinpointed what it is? or what the combination of things are that causes it?

You said you've been taking biotin, sulfur stuff, DE...and? Just curious to get a kind of "summary" of this topic or something so I'm not confused anymore lol

edit: Maybe we could compile a few places to buy DE online for those of us too lazy to go to a garden store haha... So far in this topic, I've seen these two places mentioned:
and
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/buy_diatomaceous_earth.html#

Is this DE on Amazon the same?
http://www.amazon.com/GreenSense-Diatomaceous-Earth-10-lb/dp/B00025H2PY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1258009831&sr=8-1

re: amazon: yes, that's the stuff.

well my average growth for the last few years (not that i measured diligently, but i tend to dye my hair 2-4 times per year, so going by the roots) was 1/2" or less per month.

i started taking biotin about 15 months ago.

the amount of hair shedding slowed down significantly after about 3 months on biotin. after about a year on biotin, i realized my hair was growing faster, 3/4"-1" per month. my last haircut was april 10th and my hair has grown a good 7" since then.

i started taking DE around sept 26 and applied MTG on oct 8 & 16th

i measured my hair:
on oct 2nd, 30-1/2"
oct 9, 31"
oct 13, 31-1/2" (the day i started this thread)
oct 20, 31-3/4"
oct 28, 32"
today, 32-1/4" and it seems to have been stuck at this length for a couple of weeks.

so, i think i got a growth spurt from the diatomaceous earth and the topical sulfur (Shapley's MTG) but it seems to have slowed down. i took a break from the MTG for 3 weeks but i'm going to try to use it once a week (see nov 8 post). also, my shedding has decreased even MORE between DE and MSM sulfur.

that probably didn't clear anything up, did it? i guess the answer would be "a combination of things". :D

jojo
November 12th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Thats excellent progress, I suppose the DE works if you are deficient in silica, but then again reading the research (not useless websites but evidence based research!) it seems we are all deficient in this mineral.

I have just received mine and I am very positive about this, at the end of the day its a natural occuring mineral which excess is flushed out of the body, in my opinion its a lot less harmful than say overdosing on say iron supplements, yet people are all too ready to take more than their body requires in the form of prenatal pills etc.

Its a case of suck it and see! even if I dont get extra growth, its beneficial to my health in other ways. Wish me luck!

jojo
November 12th, 2009, 06:18 AM
My suppliers for those in the UK
http://holisticpetsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=476

Erin1152
November 12th, 2009, 08:07 AM
As an advisory, I just found this information about one of the ingredients in MTG..

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=704787

Erin1152
November 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Since reading and researching the above ingredient, I can no longer use this. I'm not playing around with something that can cause cancer.

Be careful, guys.

Unfortunately, now I have a bottle that I paid $30 for after shipping that i've barely used.

jojo
November 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Which research did you read that says it can cause cancer? From what I have read DE decreases the chance of getting cancer as cells can not become cancerous in a silica rich enviroment.

Conflicting information, was your research evidence based, as in undertaken by people with the correct qualifications and experience to comment?

This is very interesting, thank you for sharing. I shall research further.

pdy2kn6
November 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I have just received mine and I am very positive about this, at the end of the day its a natural occuring mineral which excess is flushed out of the body, in my opinion its a lot less harmful than say overdosing on say iron supplements, yet people are all too ready to take more than their body requires in the form of prenatal pills etc.

That's good to know that any excess is just flushed out. I think this may be on the cards as an option to try, its sounds better than filling your body with a wide variety/overdosing on certain vitamins which can't be flushed out. Good luck Jojo :)

Erin1152
November 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
jojo, I wasn't talking about DE. I meant Shapley's MTG (the oil for horses)

LuXious
November 12th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I found this ad funny. Gonna have to get me some Shapley's!

"Shapley's Original M-T-G has proven results after just one application! Use as a leave-in conditioner/detangler and for promoting mane and tail hair growth. Use on damaged, chewed-off tails to rapidly grow length. Use on long tails to enhance fullness, condition and retain length. Can produce tail growth over two inches in a month! M-T-G will also eliminate grass and urine stains.
Original M-T-G is also a dermatitis treatment recommended by veterinarians for a variety of skin problems including: fungus, rain rot, girth itch, scratches, dandruff and tail rubbing. It offers quick relief and visible hair growth that can be seen in 3-5 days!

Available in 32 oz. bottles. "

LuXious
November 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I found this ad funny. Gonna have to get me some Shapley's!

"Shapley's Original M-T-G has proven results after just one application! Use as a leave-in conditioner/detangler and for promoting mane and tail hair growth. Use on damaged, chewed-off tails to rapidly grow length. Use on long tails to enhance fullness, condition and retain length. Can produce tail growth over two inches in a month! M-T-G will also eliminate grass and urine stains.
Original M-T-G is also a dermatitis treatment recommended by veterinarians for a variety of skin problems including: fungus, rain rot, girth itch, scratches, dandruff and tail rubbing. It offers quick relief and visible hair growth that can be seen in 3-5 days!

Available in 32 oz. bottles. "

It's the chewed-off tails and urine stain parts that made me giggle. Sorry. I'm immature.

Rapunzal2Be
November 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Since reading and researching the above ingredient, I can no longer use this. I'm not playing around with something that can cause cancer.

Be careful, guys.

Unfortunately, now I have a bottle that I paid $30 for after shipping that i've barely used.

If you look up many ingredients in everyday products on that website you'll find that someone somewhere says it can possibly cause cancer.

However, if you want to go the MTG route but don't want the additives, people on another hair board i am on have had success with making their own using just sulfur powder and the oil of your choice (coconut, olive oil, emu oil, etc.).

jojo
November 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
jojo, I wasn't talking about DE. I meant Shapley's MTG (the oil for horses)
oh ok still interesting all the same, maybe the sulpher is the culprit, not really read alot on that but all the same interesting. x

jojo
November 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
That's good to know that any excess is just flushed out. I think this may be on the cards as an option to try, its sounds better than filling your body with a wide variety/overdosing on certain vitamins which can't be flushed out. Good luck Jojo :)
thanks and yes i agree too many vitamin pills can cause such damage and may even reduce the speed hair grows at. I also think the DE sounds a good option. good luck to you too x

Hydrilus
November 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
re: amazon: yes, that's the stuff.

well my average growth for the last few years (not that i measured diligently, but i tend to dye my hair 2-4 times per year, so going by the roots) was 1/2" or less per month.

i started taking biotin about 15 months ago.

the amount of hair shedding slowed down significantly after about 3 months on biotin. after about a year on biotin, i realized my hair was growing faster, 3/4"-1" per month. my last haircut was april 10th and my hair has grown a good 7" since then.

i started taking DE around sept 26 and applied MTG on oct 8 & 16th

i measured my hair:
on oct 2nd, 30-1/2"
oct 9, 31"
oct 13, 31-1/2" (the day i started this thread)
oct 20, 31-3/4"
oct 28, 32"
today, 32-1/4" and it seems to have been stuck at this length for a couple of weeks.

so, i think i got a growth spurt from the diatomaceous earth and the topical sulfur (Shapley's MTG) but it seems to have slowed down. i took a break from the MTG for 3 weeks but i'm going to try to use it once a week (see nov 8 post). also, my shedding has decreased even MORE between DE and MSM sulfur.

that probably didn't clear anything up, did it? i guess the answer would be "a combination of things". :D

That's actually perfect piratejenny haha, thank you for taking the time to clear that up. It'll definitely help when compiling the shopping list hehe

jojo
November 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I have taken it for just 2 days now and no i havent grown 10" overnight but I am coughing less and breathing a lot better, I have not used my inhaler once during the last 48 hours which for me is a huge bonus.

wahmof9
November 13th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I have taken it for just 2 days now and no i havent grown 10" overnight but I am coughing less and breathing a lot better, I have not used my inhaler once during the last 48 hours which for me is a huge bonus.
I have tried to have someone answer the question about the aluminum. I contacted two places and ask if they could help me on that one. Since aluminum is toxic and does not leave the body BUT they all claim DE helps with aluminum detoxification...

Any one else can answer this for me?

I am interested but concerned about the health issues...

Bene
November 14th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Update #2

- So, I cheated and measured my hair today. At my last measuring in the beginning of November, I was at 29 inches. Right now, it's a bit longer than 29.5... Since I change my status and take a length shot only at the beginning of the month, I'll do my double and triple measurement in December, just to be completely certain.

- I haven't had any changes in my health, none that I've noticed. I have a 1.75 liter bottle that I fill with water and a few teaspoons of DE. As the bottle empties, I add more water, but no more DE and I keep drinking until all of the powder is gone. Then start again with a few more teaspoons.

- I'm still taking the DE and GNC Hair, Skin & Nails Formula. I really don't know which of these is making my hair grow, but I'm good with this combination. Again, I don't want to get anyone's hopes up without real data to show (but I did promise updates) , mainly since I don't really believe this growth myself, even though I can tell the difference. But am getting closer and closer to waist length. So in January, I'll be certain whether to give this combination a glowing recommendation or not.

Until then, I'll remain your humble guinea pig :D

gmdiaz
November 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Received my jar of DE.

I am taking one heaping tablespoon daily in water. It tastes chalky but isn't bad at all. It's very easy to drink.

Beginning date: Evening 11-12-09

piratejenny23
November 14th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Received my jar of DE.

I am taking one heaping tablespoon daily in water. It tastes chalky but isn't bad at all. It's very easy to drink.

Beginning date: Evening 11-12-09

gmdiaz,
i started off on 1/2 teaspoon and am only taking about 1 heaping teaspoon a day (well, 3-4x/week, probably). i haven't had any bad side effects but some people say the DE "detoxes" them, so starting off on a heaping tablespoon might be uncomfortable!

also, as a couple of people have mentioned on this thread, letting the DE sit in a bottle of water and then drinking that water might make the silica more bioavailable. i'm going to try that too, as i tend to not look forward to my turmeric-DE drink.

gmdiaz
November 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Midas,
i started off on 1/2 teaspoon and am only taking about 1 heaping teaspoon a day (well, 3-X/week, probably). i haven't had any bad side effects but some people say the DE "detoxes" them, so starting off on a heaping tablespoon might be uncomfortable!

also, as a couple of people have mentioned on this thread, letting the DE sit in a bottle of water and then drinking that water might make the silica more bioavailable. I'm going to try that too, as i tend to not look forward to my turmeric-DE drink.

On the very first try, I went with 1 teaspoon. . .no "effects" whatsoever. So day two I went with 1 tablespoon. . .still no "effects". . .starting on day three with 1 tablespoon. . .still nuttin.

I am thinking the strong "side effects" a person might experience, depend on how unhealthy they are to begin with. So far, I am not feeling any detox effects at all.

I am really healthy and don't have any particular health issues of note. . .so am not expecting much from the DE but HOPEFULLY the DE will:

Remove any mercury I have tucked away. I have a mouthful of mercury fillings.
Give my hair, nails and skin a boost, although I've already got good skin and hair but do have lousy nails.
Love to have extra energy.
And maybe it will help with a super mild but arthritis type, joint stiffness.
Scrub out any junk in my digestive system.
And it would be awesome if I could get rid of this nagging cough and mild asthma when I get too tired. I think it's something left from a previous illness.I'll try the drinking the silica water too. . .see if the silica absorbs better. Maybe do that every other day for three months. And then, see about doing a maintenance of 1 tsp a day.

Of course, all this could change. . .so I am on the lookout. lol

piratejenny23
November 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Since aluminum is toxic and does not leave the body BUT they all claim DE helps with aluminum detoxification...

Any one else can answer this for me?

aluminum DOES leave the body.

aluminum is the 3rd most abundant element in the earth's crust, comprising 8.3% by weight...it is in our food, water, and any dust in the air we breathe...if aluminum never left our bodies, we'd all be Tin Men!

my (very, very rudimentary) understanding is that the bioavailability of ANY mineral depends on its molecular size/what it's bonded to/whether it's been artificially processed. this is the basis for a lot of the competition between vitamin companies..."our iron is more bioavailable than their iron", "a calcium supplement without Vitamin D and magnesium is useless", "whole-food derived vitamins are better than synthetic", etc, etc...

i think the aluminum in dirt is very different from, say, the aluminum in anti-perspirant.

please refer to my post of Oct 23rd (post #86/page 6 of this thread) for some info i found about aluminum.

"(I)f there is any toxicity of aluminium, it must be via a very specific mechanism, since total human exposure to the element in the form of naturally occurring clay in soil and dust is enormously large over a lifetime." (NIEHS/wikipedia)

gmdiaz
November 14th, 2009, 10:56 AM
gmdiaz,
i started off on 1/2 teaspoon and am only taking about 1 heaping teaspoon a day (well, 3-4x/week, probably). i haven't had any bad side effects but some people say the DE "detoxes" them, so starting off on a heaping tablespoon might be uncomfortable!

also, as a couple of people have mentioned on this thread, letting the DE sit in a bottle of water and then drinking that water might make the silica more bioavailable. i'm going to try that too, as i tend to not look forward to my turmeric-DE drink.

I'd like to hear more aobut your turmeric-de drink!

wahmof9
November 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
aluminum DOES leave the body.

aluminum is the 3rd most abundant element in the earth's crust, comprising 8.3% by weight...it is in our food, water, and any dust in the air we breathe...if aluminum never left our bodies, we'd all be Tin Men!

my (very, very rudimentary) understanding is that the bioavailability of ANY mineral depends on its molecular size/what it's bonded to/whether it's been artificially processed. this is the basis for a lot of the competition between vitamin companies..."our iron is more bioavailable than their iron", "a calcium supplement without Vitamin D and magnesium is useless", "whole-food derived vitamins are better than synthetic", etc, etc...

i think the aluminum in dirt is very different from, say, the aluminum in anti-perspirant.

please refer to my post of Oct 23rd (post #86/page 6 of this thread) for some info i found about aluminum.

"(I)f there is any toxicity of aluminium, it must be via a very specific mechanism, since total human exposure to the element in the form of naturally occurring clay in soil and dust is enormously large over a lifetime." (NIEHS/wikipedia)

True...kind of like natural fluoride and the junk in toothpaste...thank you!

piratejenny23
November 14th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I'd like to hear more aobut your turmeric-de drink!

i (try to) take a teaspoon of powdered turmeric every day in a small glass of water. i'd been doing this for a few weeks before i started taking DE, so i just took them together. however, sometimes i really procrastinate about taking the turmeric, so i end up not taking the DE. if i make up a bottle of the DE water, then i can at least be getting that even if i slack off on the turmeric.

really the turmeric is NOT that bad. it has a strong pungent odor but there's no aftertaste...it's very good for the liver and a potent anti-inflammatory...i need to stop being such a wuss...lol!

jojo
November 14th, 2009, 05:07 PM
True...kind of like natural fluoride and the junk in toothpaste...thank you! not to mention all the carbon monoxide we breathe in on a daily basis! and dont get me started on pestisides!

jojo
November 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Well only day 3, my nails are starting to grow, not noticed much in the way of hair growth but it has been up for the past 3 days BUT I have to say my breathing is the best its ever been, no cough at all and no inhaler, this I know sounds too good to be true but I swear this stuff is the buisness! I am not even interested if I dont grow quicker, as I see it, if my lungs are working properly, more oxygen is generating around my body, so eventually it will reach my hair anyway!

I take 2.5 tablespoons a day, tastes of chalky nothingness really! I also rwad to take it a good hour before food so it can work properly.

piratejenny23
November 14th, 2009, 07:00 PM
On the very first try, I went with 1 teaspoon. . .no "effects" whatsoever. So day two I went with 1 tablespoon. . .still no "effects". . .starting on day three with 1 tablespoon. . .still nuttin.

HOPEFULLY the DE will:
Remove any mercury I have tucked away. I have a mouthful of mercury fillings.i am glad you are not having any side effects! def. the more toxins and/or parasites one has, the more drastic the detox effects!

if you are interested in removing mercury, raw cilantro (aka coriander or Chinese parsley) is a very tasty way to do so! you can use an Indian-style coriander chutney or this delicious pesto recipe:

http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/articles/art_cilantroremheavymetals.html

good luck!

gmdiaz
November 14th, 2009, 08:08 PM
if you are interested in removing mercury, raw cilantro (aka coriander or Chinese parsley) is a very tasty way to do so! you can use an Indian-style coriander chutney or this delicious pesto recipe:

http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/articles/art_cilantroremheavymetals.html

good luck!

Thank you! That receipe sounds really good!

ChloeDharma
November 15th, 2009, 02:52 AM
i (try to) take a teaspoon of powdered turmeric every day in a small glass of water. i'd been doing this for a few weeks before i started taking DE, so i just took them together. however, sometimes i really procrastinate about taking the turmeric, so i end up not taking the DE. if i make up a bottle of the DE water, then i can at least be getting that even if i slack off on the turmeric.

really the turmeric is NOT that bad. it has a strong pungent odor but there's no aftertaste...it's very good for the liver and a potent anti-inflammatory...i need to stop being such a wuss...lol!

Hi :)
You may already know this, but in case you or anybody reading who is interested in turmeric doesn't know, you need to take it with black pepper to increase the bioavailability of the curcumin (yellow pigment). It really is amazing stuff, personally i prefer it in food but well done if you can drink it :)

gmdiaz
November 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I've ordered the Brahmi Amla hair oil from this place. . .so had been looking at this Tumeric supplement, since I don't cook much. lol

http://www.tattvasherbs.com/-strse-191/turmeric%2C-supercritical-turmeric%2C-curcumin%2C/Detail.bok (http://www.tattvasherbs.com/-strse-191/turmeric%2C-supercritical-turmeric%2C-curcumin%2C/Detail.bok)

Desideira
November 15th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I have a qestion about diatomaceus earth.... I found it today in list of igriedients of some hair mask ment for healing dandruff on the scalp. It was fourt igriendient on list. Does anyone know if its safe to use on scalp and could it be effiient in anti dandruff treatment? Maybe it will make hair grow faster too?

Rapunzal2Be
November 17th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I have a qestion about diatomaceus earth.... I found it today in list of igriedients of some hair mask ment for healing dandruff on the scalp. It was fourt igriendient on list. Does anyone know if its safe to use on scalp and could it be effiient in anti dandruff treatment? Maybe it will make hair grow faster too?
It's a hair mask, right? So why wouldn't be safe to use on your scalp?

khan
November 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hi :)
You may already know this, but in case you or anybody reading who is interested in turmeric doesn't know, you need to take it with black pepper to increase the bioavailability of the curcumin (yellow pigment). It really is amazing stuff, personally i prefer it in food but well done if you can drink it :)

Thanks, I've known for awhile that interaction of different herbs, etc. make them more efficient. This is the first time I've heard anything about tumeric. Off to the grocery I go :happydance:

Desideira
November 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM
It's a hair mask, right? So why wouldn't be safe to use on your scalp?

Now I feel my qestion sound a bit dumb:( sorry I should be more precisley.. I was wondering if it safe to sue on very irritated scalp (I forgot to emntion this) but more I was wondering how it would affect on hair growth.

piratejenny23
November 18th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Now I feel my qestion sound a bit dumb:( sorry I should be more precisley.. I was wondering if it safe to sue on very irritated scalp (I forgot to emntion this) but more I was wondering how it would affect on hair growth.

i think it would depend on what other ingredients are in the mask. DRY diatomaceous earth can irritate the eyes or throat, but when it's moist it doesn't have the same effect. however, if your skin is irritated to the point of being raw or open in any way, any thick mixture could be hard to wash out and then would cause more irritation when it dried.

maybe try it on a small area first?
or use it on the length of your hair but avoid your scalp.

i doubt that diatomaceous earth applied to your scalp would help your hair grow. i could be wrong but i just don't think your skin would absorb the silica in that form.

milk of magnesia is very soothing to the scalp. i tried it recently when i had an allergic reaction to hair dye--it looked like i'd been burned or had poison ivy. just soak your scalp with it and leave it on for 30 minutes or so. as it dries, it will look like you have powder in your hair and it may feel like it will be very hard to wash out; however, it washes out very easily.

aloe juice is very soothing and healing too. you can apply that directly to your scalp and let it soak in for a while. i hope you feel better soon :)

jojo
November 18th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Well update from liitle ole me!
Breathing 100% better, no constipation and 2Lbs weightloss without even trying!

I dont know about my hair growth, it feels longer and fuller but again ? wishful thinking! but for me the other health benefits are worth taking DE, I have ordered some more and intend to keep using this.

ETA just ordered some Shapleys MTG so going to give that a bash as well!
Will keep you all updated!

Erin1152
November 18th, 2009, 07:38 AM
If anyone is interested, i'll sell my MTG barely used for $15 (including UPS shipping)

jojo
November 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Ive already ordered but would have bought that off you, im sure somebody will take it off your hands.

LawyerGirl
November 18th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I've been watching this thread for a while... it's been really interesting. I haven't gone searching for DE but have started taking silica supplements and feel like they have made a difference. My hair is still short, so it's difficult to measure... but I can definitely see a difference in my nails, which have grown SO much. And I definitely have to shave more often since I started taking silica... not something I worried about with biotin or MSM or a multi. If there are people who are concerned about the side effect of DE, silica supplements are an option (expensive though) and have worked well for me.

Just a thought.

Desideira
November 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
i think it would depend on what other ingredients are in the mask. DRY diatomaceous earth can irritate the eyes or throat, but when it's moist it doesn't have the same effect. however, if your skin is irritated to the point of being raw or open in any way, any thick mixture could be hard to wash out and then would cause more irritation when it dried.

maybe try it on a small area first?
or use it on the length of your hair but avoid your scalp.

i doubt that diatomaceous earth applied to your scalp would help your hair grow. i could be wrong but i just don't think your skin would absorb the silica in that form.

milk of magnesia is very soothing to the scalp. i tried it recently when i had an allergic reaction to hair dye--it looked like i'd been burned or had poison ivy. just soak your scalp with it and leave it on for 30 minutes or so. as it dries, it will look like you have powder in your hair and it may feel like it will be very hard to wash out; however, it washes out very easily.

aloe juice is very soothing and healing too. you can apply that directly to your scalp and let it soak in for a while. i hope you feel better soon :)

thank you so much for reply and information:)

Espcially the advice about trying aloe and milk as a soothing tretarment. I will definetly give it a try:)

I have a red round irritated area on my scalp. It have few centimetrs and he rest of the head is itching all the time.
Its also combined with extra oil scalp wchich I never experience before.

Kitten87
November 19th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Erin, I'd like to get the MTG from you.

What was it that made you decide to not use it?

Syaoransbear
November 20th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Just wanted to say that I filled my water bottle up with DE and after three days some parts of the DE turned brown and when I shook it up the entire mixture was a light brown color. I'm not sure if this is good or not but it seems weird that a white powder would turn brown after a few days in only water. I don't think I'm going to leave the mixture in there as long anymore.

StellaReade
November 20th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Are the silica supplements something you can get at your local Walmart? And is it just called "Silica?"

Sorry, that was a question for Lawyergirl :)

Syaoransbear
November 20th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Are the silica supplements something you can get at your local Walmart? And is it just called "Silica?"

Sorry, that was a question for Lawyergirl :)
I've only seen it in specialty vitamin stores and only in very tiny amounts. Most of the time I just see Horsetail.

Did anyone order their DE from agrogreen? I just got sent an e-mail from canada post saying that they have shipped my order from agrogreen today BUT I DIDN'T ORDER ANYTHING. I'm going to be so mad if they are automatically charging me and shipping stuff to me. I already have enough of this stuff to last me like 5 years.

meme
November 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM
hello

Iam now using the biotin
I want ask you
how much did you take daily??
I take 2000mcg daily
and did the hair loss stop or not ??

Rapunzal2Be
November 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've had my DE for two days now - I put a tablespoon or so in the bottom of a big glass, filled with water and topped off with a splash of juice (orange mango). I sipped it over time and refilled with more water and another splash of juice a few times during the day. At the end of the day I drank it all, with the remainder of the DE in my last swig. From what I have read this method helps with the absorption, and although it is a little chalky at first and the very last, I have no problems with it.

I'm still a bit skeptical and worried about taking this, as reading about it online has shown mixed reviews about it being ingested. But I will give it a fair shot. :)

My sulfur powder came today as well so I'll be mixing up my sulfur oil and probably trying that out this weekend. Only thing is I do not have any essential oils to help mask the smell, so we'll see how that goes.

piratejenny23
November 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
My sulfur powder came today as well so I'll be mixing up my sulfur oil and probably trying that out this weekend. Only thing is I do not have any essential oils to help mask the smell, so we'll see how that goes.

the sulfur powder does not have much of a smell. just a little bit when you rinse it out it the shower.

LawyerGirl
November 20th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I got mine from a vitamin store near where I live... it comes in a big bottle and it just says "silica"... it was in the section with the hair/skin/nails vitamins. I know you can also order it online.

gmdiaz
November 21st, 2009, 06:00 AM
DE Update:

For the first week (Nov. 12-19) I used the DE I purchased from Wolf Creek Ranch. (http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/buy_diatomaceous_earth.html#)

This DE is white, has very little taste. . .it's just a little bit like drinking water with chalk in it.

I was drinking up to 3 tablespoons mixed in water, slowly throughout the day in a small Gatorade jug. The first thing I noticed was getting really chapped lips.

So I changed to drinking the same mix in less water. And then drinking straight water the rest of the day. Chapped lip issue resolved. lol

Lots of trips to the bathroom. . .the water runs through you much more frequently. And I am not drinking more of various drinks than usual.

More trips to the bathroom. . .this stuff does remove waste. The DE seems to gently regulate the whole digestive system. Nothing crazy or excessive, just more trips to the bathroom. . .maybe two to three a day.

I noticed within the first week that all the sudden I was sleeping better, more soundly. I wasn't sleeping longer but deeper. I dreamed a lot and remembered them upon waking. I've been sleeping really poorly for a couple of years with lots of tossing and turning. . .so this is a significant, greatly appreciated turn for the better.

My skin already looked healthy. . .but I seem to have a tiny bit more color and vitality.

And my eyes feel a tiny bit different too. . .things seem a little clearer.

And the DE is a huge appetite suppressant! You just don't feel hungry at all. . .so it's easy to eat less!

Then I received my second order of the DE that I got From Earthworks.com (http://www.earthworkshealth.com/)(Ebay store, Earthworkshealth (http://shop.ebay.com/earthworkshealth/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340)) and started taking it on Nov. 20th. I ordered the big 2.5 gallon jar. My husband is now taking the DE too.

I was really interested to try this variety because it's supposed to be super pure. It's made by Perma-Guard.

Upon first inspection, it's a slightly different color. . .more cream colored. And it tastes totally different. . .not terrible but there is a taste that the Wolf Creek Ranch DE did not have. I don't love it.

I took my usual 3 tablespoons early in the morning while I was working at my desk and rushing through all the paperwork. About an hour and a half later. . .I was zinging! I MEAN speeding. . .like I'd had five cups of coffee. I could feel my heart thrumming along too fast.

That was about lunch time, so after eating, the excess energy level calmed back down. But by the time I went home for the day, I was EXHAUSTED and felt like my head was squeezed into the shape of a giant Q-Tip. LOL But that could just be my job. ROFL. I feel better this morning.

Sooo. . .this variety is much more "potent" for me, than the Wolf Creek Ranch version and this morning I've gone backwards to reduce my dosage to about 1-1/2 tablespoons in a little bit of water.

I can't report on hair growth or fingernail strength. . .nothing of note. But I do measure my hair once a month, so we'll see what we see around the first of December. I've been on a really good vitamin regime for about eight months now, so my fingernails are already growing quickly and have good color but they're pretty soft.

I am still having a little asthma. . .so I can't say it's helped with that, yet. We'll see about this though in a few more days, now that I am using the new DE.

More layta

Rapunzal2Be
November 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM
the sulfur powder does not have much of a smell. just a little bit when you rinse it out it the shower.

Thanks! Good to know!

I mixed mine up (2 tsp) in a hair color bottle filled with coconut oil (melted first, mixed the sulfur powder into it, poured into the bottle and then added the other oils), olive oil, bhringaraj oil, castor oil and sweet almond oil.

I shook it up well and applied to my scalp, and will leave it on for about an hour before hopping in the shower and washing. I will try to leave it on longer at other times, but today I wanted to use it but need to be showered and hair washed before I go out this afternoon. :)

So we'll see how it goes!

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 09:22 AM
gmdiazm, wow, thanks for the update. I'm starting to wish I could find it locally. The part about sleeping deeper and seeing clearer really struck a chord with me.

gmdiaz
November 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
gmdiazm, wow, thanks for the update. I'm starting to wish I could find it locally. The part about sleeping deeper and seeing clearer really struck a chord with me.

My husband started taking DE one day later than I did. . .his results are exactly the same. . .good SLEEP. He says that his eyes feel very slightly better as well, but that could be the result of our both taking flax seed oil for a few months now.

He is also reporting an overall mood improvement. He feels like he's better able to cope with stress. Might well be the result of getting decent sleep! But he really does seem calmer and more cheerful. :cheese:

Don't hesitate to order the DE online at the Earthworks ebay store. . .you can use PayPal. The DE arrived safety sealed, shipped fast and it's the super good Perma Guard brand. The 2.5 gallon with shipping was under $30. Cheap really and there is plenty to split with a friend. . .so I think you could get the price down to about $15.

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 09:44 AM
I don't live in the US unfortunately, and this usually results in redicilously huge shipping fees (for example, if I try to order BAQ henna, it doubles the price of it). I've been taking silica supplement for 3 month and seen no improvement neither in my hair, nor skin or even nails (which responded greatly to fish oil). So I'm slightly reluctant, but I'll check out what will it might cost me.

piratejenny23
November 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
about a week ago i switched from swallowing DE in a small amount of water to putting it in a large bottle, letting it settle, and drinking the water.

i have had insomnia, nightmares, and very disturbing dreams for YEARS...at least 10 years. i also have bipolar disorder and am on medication.

since taking the "silica water", as i think of it, i have been having much less vivid/disturbing dreams, which is great! and i feel much calmer. i never skip my meds, but sometimes i forget to take them until the afternoon. usually i remember because if it gets to be about 2pm and i'm getting irritable and crying over any stupid thing...i didn't take my meds! *but now i just notice the time, and think, "wow, i can't believe it's 4pm and i'm not freaking out!"

unfortunately i have not had the weight loss, appetite suppression or increased energy that others have reported. but i have also noticed that my color is very healthy. i have olive skin so i usually look sort of yellowish/greenish this time of year or when i'm tired, and i've noticed i always have rosy cheeks now.

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Can you guys attribute it to the the DE or silica in general?

piratejenny23
November 21st, 2009, 12:22 PM
I've been taking silica supplement for 3 month and seen no improvement neither in my hair, nor skin or even nails (which responded greatly to fish oil).

You may have seen no improvement because you're not deficient in it, so buying any other form could just be a waste of money.

I've also read that it's not easily absorbed by the body. http://www.internetarthritiscenter.com/siliconbenefits.html A different type might work better for you; what brand of silica supplements are you taking now?

either i'm having deja vu or i'm repeating myself. please forgive me if it's the latter, but i can't read over this whole thread right now to see if i've said this before :P

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 01:09 PM
You've probably been asked that before, and I've probably mentioned the 3 months silica try before too, but we weren't directly replying to one another. :wink:

Anyway, I've read about these supplements being a waste of money due to the inability to actually absorb the silica in them. I've taken silica pills by a German (methinks) brand Silicea (http://www.silicea.com/). In the brochure they did a nifty graph that show significant improvement after 8-10 weeks (I see they changed it now, and specifically wrote "5 to 6 months is needed to see the positive influence of silica on nail growth and strength". I wonder.). I patiently took the pills for 3 months and my nails were as weak as always.

My diet is not really steady or healthy, and peaking at a list of foods rich in silica I can't say I really eat them regularly or in sufficient quantities. But who knows, maybe silica is not something that I need. :shrug:

hennared
November 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
I've got interested in this too, now. I went to the Perma Guard website (they make a food grade DE) directly, and found the MSDS for the fossil shell flour (I assume equal to the food grade) It say no known hazards under "ingesting"... FWIW. I really REALLY wanted to know what percent pf crystalline silica is in there, as apparently, that is key for safety. Anyone who has this brand know (is it on the label)?

Not entirely sure yet I'm jumping on this bandwagon, but I might...

Spring
November 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
You may have seen no improvement because you're not deficient in it, so buying any other form could just be a waste of money.

I've also read that it's not easily absorbed by the body. http://www.internetarthritiscenter.com/siliconbenefits.html A different type might work better for you; what brand of silica supplements are you taking now?

either i'm having deja vu or i'm repeating myself. please forgive me if it's the latter, but i can't read over this whole thread right now to see if i've said this before :P

Piratejenny, you're not having a deja vu.. lol, I PMed you the other day about silica. Thanks for the response and the link.

gmdiaz
November 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Here is a link to an independent lab analysis (http://www.earthworkshealth.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-FAQ.php) of Perma-Guard.

Look down at the bottom of the page for the links.

I am not worried about how much silica is in the mix. . .you absorb what you can and the rest is excreted. Anything you get is helpful. I think the diatoms are amorphous, so it's not the super sharp crystalline kind, like comes of out the ocean. It's the fresh water type.

What I AM worried about is the metals that are removed from your body in this process. I want the bad ones removed, like mercury of course, but this also removes such metals as zinc. . .which is also really important for your health.

I am seeing some soft white horizontal lines across two of my fingernails that just showed up this week. I read that it's indicative of a zinc deficiency. The last couple of days, I've been craving protein. . .nuts and meat.

So I am thinking that it's important to take a low dose of DE, maybe a heaping tablespoon a day and no more.

I think I can eat plenty of good food and vitamins to make up for the loss of metals and still get the benefits of the DE. And there are a lot of benefits!

Edited to add: After more reading, I am really thinking the white spots on a couple of my fingernails, are some sort of mechanical bump or boop, not some sort of deficency. Whew.

gmdiaz
November 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
unfortunately i have not had the weight loss, appetite suppression or increased energy that others have reported. but i have also noticed that my color is very healthy. i have olive skin so i usually look sort of yellowish/greenish this time of year or when i'm tired, and I've noticed i always have rosy cheeks now.

I've got an olive complexion too and I've noticed that I have rosy cheeks. . .looks like I have applied really pretty blush but I haven't. At least not on the outside. :p

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I am seeing some soft white horizontal lines across two of my fingernails that just showed up this week. I read that it's indicative of a zinc deficiency. The last couple of days, I've been craving protein. . .nuts and meat.
I got excited for a sec, before realising that my nail have vertical weird lines, sometimes they break alone them. I'm not sure what does that mean (ie what am I deficient in), I also get this rough uneven surface on my nail whites. :shrug: If anybody got a clue, let me know! :?

gmdiaz
November 21st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Do a Google search! There are a lot of web sites about what the fingernails show about a person's health!

Heidi_234
November 21st, 2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I always plan to google it and get sidetracked by hair stuff :doh:

gmdiaz
November 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
The Perma-Guard DE has 0.5 crystalline silica.

My understanding is that you want under 1% and as low as you can find.

MakeLoveNotWar
November 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM
So I am very excited because I believe I am making progress! I saw my friend last night that I haven't seen in 3 weeks and he is like "your hair looks a lot longer than the last time I saw you!" I was like really?! Haha, I figured if a guy noticed, than it must be true!

hennared
November 22nd, 2009, 12:08 PM
The Perma-Guard DE has 0.5 crystalline silica.

My understanding is that you want under 1% and as low as you can find.

Exactly what I wanted to know, and yes you are exactly right about the under 1% crystalline part.

Thanks a bunch!

jojo
November 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM
My MTG has arrived and what a huge bottle! I am going to wash my hair and put it on my scalp ooooooooooooohhhhhhh soooooooooooooo excited and i just cant hide it!!

jojo
November 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM
Well just applied the MTG pooh it stinks like smoked bacon but I will percivere with it!

Other updates;
Sleeping much better
Nails growing like weeds!
Appetite much decreased no sweet cravings
Breathing well worth taking it just for this, I feel cured, seriously my breathing is so much better.
BP now reduced to 120/80 was previously 170/90
No hair growth, but then I havent measured!
Blushing more though
No constipation
No bloating but farting like mad! (TMI)

Would I recomend it.....hell i would!

piratejenny23
November 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
jojo, that is amazing! just the improvement in breathing and blood pressure alone is, like, miraculous! plus it's only about 10 days...i don't think i've ever heard of someone's health turning around like that in such a short time using even "real" medication. i'm so so happy for you :hollie:

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
I totally agree, this is a life time supplement for me. It really goes to show how our health is comprimised when certain minerals are deficient. I did however use my inhaler today as I am getting a slight cold but other than that all is good.

The MTG washes out quite well, though next time i shall be using less. how often do you use it?

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
NEWS FLASH! DAY 11 AND I HAVE GOT ME AN INCH OF GROWTH!

A lot of you may remember I had 2" cut off 2 weeks ago, I started taking DE on the 12th november, apart from my posted health improvements, this really is the cherry on the cake for me!

I wasnt going to measure and as many of you are aware i have a photo thread, which I shall be updating on Thursday for those who need photographic evidence!

I cannot thank Jenny enough for sharing her findings on this thread, I owe you a million times over.

piratejenny23
November 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
1" in 11 days--that is SWEET!!!!!

jojo, since you got the enormous size of MTG, you might like this thread on how to mask the bacon smell:
(peppermint, lavender and orange essential oils seem to be the most effective)
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-69545.html

on similar boards, i have read of people mixing sulfur with WGO (wild growth oil) or any favorite mix of oils (coconut, etc); and apparently you can get sulfur (aka flowers of sulfur) at most pharmacies.

i really wanted to try a non-oil recipe but haven't found any; i don't know if that's because sulfur is more effective with oil, or if it's just traditional. i don't really like oil on my scalp. maybe i can mix with conditioner and leave on overnight as a mask.

PS--jojo, i love your new siggy pic! your hair is so shiny & sleek!

Heidi_234
November 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
So piratejenny23, I think my question got lost somewhere in this thread - is it the silica contect of the DE makes it work like that? If I can buy silica supplements, will it be about the same thing? Or does something in the DE makes it possibly absorb better?

Also, after seeing good sleep mentioned I thought about it and recalled that around that time I was sleeping really really well. I'm not sure it was right when I took the silica supplement, but it was definitely around that time, I was sleeping very well, waking up early and not feeling tired at all doing so.

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 01:07 PM

jojo, since you got the enormous size of MTG, you might like this thread on how to mask the bacon smell:

on similar boards, i have read of people mixing sulfur with WGO (wild growth oil) or any favorite mix of oils (coconut, etc); and apparently you can get sulfur (aka flowers of sulfur) at most pharmacies.

i really wanted to try a non-oil recipe but haven't found any; i don't know if that's because sulfur is more effective with oil, or if it's just traditional. i don't really like oil on my scalp. maybe i can mix with conditioner and leave on overnight as a mask.

thanks my dear, i think I will be mixing it with some EO's! it pongs to high heaven!

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
So piratejenny23, I think my question got lost somewhere in this thread - is it the silica contect of the DE makes it work like that? If I can buy silica supplements, will it be about the same thing? Or does something in the DE makes it possibly absorb better?

Also, after seeing good sleep mentioned I thought about it and recalled that around that time I was sleeping really really well. I'm not sure it was right when I took the silica supplement, but it was definitely around that time, I was sleeping very well, waking up early and not feeling tired at all doing so.

I think its a mixture of things, like it detoxes the body, we know that as it makes you go to the toilet! by cleansing the colon (this is only my theory) it rids the body of toxins, it aids in cell metabolism which in turn makes red blood cells more efficient, more red blood cells = more oxygen generating around the body (as in my breathing getting better) the more oxygen we have in efficient supply, the better our bodies work.

Silica is a mineral which apparently we are all deficient in, a body with enough silica in it cannot become cancerous (quoted on site and in various research articles, i will post the ref's when i find them). As we live in a hurried world where fast food and processed food is readily available, more people are in stressful jobs and situations ultimatelly our bodies suffer.

The hair to the body is unimportant, so is the first to show when we have less than adequate minerals and vitamins, but also the last to receive any worhtwhile nutrients; the body is more concerns with keeping our inner organs ticking over! Therefore it stands to reason, if we receive the correct balance, the hair doesnt have to compensate for other organs so gets a rich supply; result faster, healthier looking hair and health wise we also improve.

I am totally amazed at how quick DE works, from day 1 I felt much better. To summarise I believe DE works by riding the body of bacteria which has accumalated in our bodies and replacing it by more effective minerals, which enable the body to reach its intended homeostasis for optimum health.

piratejenny23
November 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Heidi,

yes, DE is about 85% silica, and i do believe that DE might be absorbed better than other forms...that could be its main health benefit--

however, DE is also used to remove parasites and heavy metals such as mercury, so for some people who have "mysterious" allergies, skin conditions, fatigue, etc, it might not be the addition of silica so much as the elimination of parasites & toxins that improves their health.

if you can't get DE where you are, then silica supplements might help. but at least here in the US, i can get 2 kilos of DE for less than $12, or half the price of one bottle of silica pills!

you wrote earlier: "I patiently took the pills for 3 months and my nails were as weak as always." i was just thinking, depending on how fast your nails grow, the new growth might only be about halfway up your nail bed so perhaps the stronger part isn't at your fingertip yet (i think nails grow from the "root" like hair, so vitamins aren't going to affect the part that's already out).

Heidi_234
November 23rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks Jojo and Jenny for the response!

I the detoxing is something I haven't considered, and what you've said makes perfect sense to me. I wonder why such a great supplement goes 'undiscovered'? With such benefits it could be all over the supplements aisle...

I tried to check out locally, it seems to be imported only for agricultural purposes, probably not food grade stuff. The only other reference to it is about the invention of the dynamite. :lol: I wish shipping fee weren't tearing holes in my wallet. If it was 12$ for 1 kg, I would have ordered it in a heartbeat.

Jenny, about my nails - it might be working differently than I thought. I compared the way it worked to the way a simple multi vitamin plus fish oil worked. I was taking this combo for 2 weeks and my nails became hard rock. It's not that they grew really fast all of a sudden, so it definitely affected the already grown part of them. The silica I was taking for 12 weeks did nothing of a kind.

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
My nails have also grown quite quickly since taking DE, maybe myself and Jenny have more deficiencies than you? and maybe you will see improvements else where.

grldollies
November 23rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
I will have to give some of this a try. I had a bad stress time just recently since Aug (two family members very sick – daughter heart issues & father contracted VISA) So I have lost a lot of hair – shedding which has me concerned. But at least my hair line did not recede again. Meds that I have to take caused that along w/ trying Alli which pushed me over the edge last year – I wouldn’t recommend Alli if you like your hair. I oil regularly and my hair is in good to fair shape but maybe the sulfur hair treatments & the DE my help me with my hair shedding problem. It is about triple what is the norm Has anyone seen a reduction of hair shedding? I appreciate any advice – Thanks – Gay : ) Qapla’

My hair – Nutritional Background:
I've been taking liquid Biosil more a couple of weeks now and I do have stronger nails (but still shedding), so I know this form of silica can help some. I did not have the same results from horsetail or silica pills - I took them for 8 months.
I take new chapter calcium bone strength take care, Citracal Plus Bone Density Builder, NeoCell.Collagen, Move free, Herbal Vein supplement, a liquid muli & multi B has helped my bones & joints. No more bad knees, hair grew back. I was having vein issues too. I also lost over 50 lbs since Jan 09. January I joined Curves, I work out 3-4 times a week. I will be off my high blood pressure meds next week (doc cut dose in half twice) Yea!!!! In January I Quit Diet Soda & all Aspartame/& like products. I increased my Veggies & Fruits which I like anyway! I horde the berries! I drink Arizona Pomegranate Green Tea & Water mostly. I don’t smoke or drink except a glass of Asti @ new years. I have made a big effort to change how I live & eat but stress still can take a toil on someone even when they are doing the right things. I never thought my hair would start to fall out again. But then how can we predict our future or what comes our way?

Rapunzal2Be
November 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM

Sulfur is only soluble in oil, not water. So that is why oil is always used in the mixture.

My scalp does not like oil - I used my sulfur mix last night and when I washed this afternoon I lost so much hair it was pretty upsetting. I really want this to work for me, but if I shed like that every time I use it, I'm going to have to discontinue. Also, I hate oiling overnight, it's so gross to me.

I wonder if maybe just putting it on an hour before wash would be enough?

piratejenny23
November 23rd, 2009, 03:45 PM
treatments & the DE my help me with my hair shedding problem. It is about triple what is the norm Has anyone seen a reduction of hair shedding?

hi, i have probably said this before & it's in my blog, but this is what helped my hair stop falling out:

i take biotin, 5mg/day. it took almost 3 months until i noticed a difference, but it was drastic. i would lose a handful every day, then one day only about 5-10 hairs came out when i washed my hair. in other words, it didn't taper off, it was overnight...after 3 months!
this is what i take: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Biotin

when i started taking DE, i noticed further improvement after about a week.

about a month ago i started taking Jarrow Formulas MSM sulfur, and the next day when i brushed my hair there were only 2 or 3 strands of hair in the brush! usually there are quite a few more, and any time i run my fingers through my hair or take out a scrunchie, i would find another 2-3 strands...and find hair on my shirts & pillows. however, now it seems there are ZERO hairs falling out throughout the day, except a reasonable amount when i brush & wash.

i would suggest starting with the MSM sulfur since i got such quick results from it, and it's good for your joints anyway. a lot of people take biotin for their hair but a small percentage experience pimples from it, and usually the benefits aren't immediately noticeable.

annarose
November 23rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Does Wolf Creek DE look okay to use? It doesn't specify that it is Perma Guard so I'm a bit leary. I'm having trouble finding anyone that will ship to Ontario without costing a fortune or having to buy a huge bag of it.

Gmdiaz, was it okay for you? Is the Perma Guard that much better than Wolf Creek?

Ha, I'm going to try this stuff one way or another! :grin:

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 08:10 PM
I also have to say, i did get a slight headache for about an hour after my first application of MTG, I remember this is why i stopped sulfer treatments a few years back, but Im going to stick it out but will take a paracetamol before and see how it goes. Like ive a HUGE bottle and i want my moneys worth!!

jojo
November 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Does Wolf Creek DE look okay to use? It doesn't specify that it is Perma Guard so I'm a bit leary. I'm having trouble finding anyone that will ship to Ontario without costing a fortune or having to buy a huge bag of it.

Gmdiaz, was it okay for you? Is the Perma Guard that much better than Wolf Creek?

Ha, I'm going to try this stuff one way or another! :grin: mine doesnt say its for humans, just goes on about dogs fleas and worms eeek! but cant say ive felt woof off it!

Gvnagitlvgei
November 23rd, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'm ordering my supply right now. Looks like I might get some allergy relief from it as well. Hair growth will be a perk!

krt1013
November 23rd, 2009, 08:32 PM
I started to take MSM and silica this week, and I definitely got a headache the first two days. Seems a little better now, though. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be worth it (biotin broke me out like a beast!), because I'm sloooowly growing out from a chin-length bob that I had my hair chopped into 11 months ago. :/

At least I'm about an inch below collarbone again --- I'm hoping to be APL by summer.

MakeLoveNotWar
November 23rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
I started to take MSM and silica this week, and I definitely got a headache the first two days. Seems a little better now, though. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be worth it (biotin broke me out like a beast!), because I'm sloooowly growing out from a chin-length bob that I had my hair chopped into 11 months ago. :/

At least I'm about an inch below collarbone again --- I'm hoping to be APL by summer.

That's my goal too, APL by summer!

piratejenny23
November 23rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Sulfur is only soluble in oil, not water. So that is why oil is always used in the mixture. Thank you for this information :)

I used my sulfur mix last night and when I washed this afternoon I lost so much hair it was pretty upsetting. I really want this to work for me, but if I shed like that every time I use it, I'm going to have to discontinue.

the first 3 times i used MTG, i did not have any more hair than usual fall out. then i skipped a couple of weeks, and the 4th time i used it a slightly alarming amount of hair fell out (but no more than what was normal for me a couple of years ago). i decided to give it another chance last night, and today when i washed my hair just a "normal" amount came out.

I wonder if maybe just putting it on an hour before wash would be enough?

i rather doubt it; the instructions for animals say to apply it once a week and not wash it off at all! if you're going to oil your hair anyway, using sulfur mightn't hurt (unless it keeps making your hair fall out! eeek!) BUT if you don't like oil on your scalp, it seems like a lot of trouble to put it on for just an hour.

Elenna
November 24th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Today I brought some liquid silica, since diatomaceous earth (DE) is a good source of silica.

And I brought some multiple-grain cereal to eat in addition to millet, flax, oats, etc.

Minerals seem to be a part of your fast-hair-growth protocol. But it is hard to judge whether I have enough minerals in the diet.

I have to say that egg yolks have a good amount of sulphur. And I'd rather eat eggs than put sulphur on my hair.

grldollies
November 24th, 2009, 01:51 AM
hi, i have probably said this before & it's in my blog, but this is what helped my hair stop falling out:

i take biotin, 5mg/day. it took almost 3 months until i noticed a difference, but it was drastic. i would lose a handful every day, then one day only about 5-10 hairs came out when i washed my hair. in other words, it didn't taper off, it was overnight...after 3 months!
this is what i take: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Biotin

when i started taking DE, i noticed further improvement after about a week.

about a month ago i started taking Jarrow Formulas MSM sulfur, and the next day when i brushed my hair there were only 2 or 3 strands of hair in the brush! usually there are quite a few more, and any time i run my fingers through my hair or take out a scrunchie, i would find another 2-3 strands...and find hair on my shirts & pillows. however, now it seems there are ZERO hairs falling out throughout the day, except a reasonable amount when i brush & wash.

i would suggest starting with the MSM sulfur since i got such quick results from it, and it's good for your joints anyway. a lot of people take biotin for their hair but a small percentage experience pimples from it, and usually the benefits aren't immediately noticeable.

Hey thanks! :) I will go to Chamberlains here locally to get them quick if they have the items. Being a holiday week it will take longer to get it from Vitacost. I've bought from them before, they have great prices & only $4.99 ship charge. One brand I wish they carried is Paragon. I do buy New Chapter items from them. I checked the label on the Shen Min hair nutrient woman's formula I've been taking and it has 700 mcg of biotin plus I take a Multi-B - has 300 mcg Biotin. I alternate taking them w/ an soft-gel Multi complete which has 30mcg biotin. I used to take 5000 mcg biotin every other day. I still have some, I guess I could start that again. Probably should take Flax-seed for omega 3s more regular too. I was taking Saw Palmetto 80mcg (very small amount) three times a week to retard DHT also. I just started to add that again.
I will ck for the DE @ Chamberlains just in case they have it. On line they have the brand Woodstream L & G Diatomaceous Earth Crawling Insect Killer. So they may have it in the store. Otherwise I will have to do the online thing. I also buy through amazon sometimes if the price is right, free 2 day shipping if its prime too.
Thanks so much for the tips!

Have a great Thanks-Giving! - Gay : ) :puppykisses: MinPin Lover!

Rapunzal2Be
November 24th, 2009, 05:40 AM
i rather doubt it; the instructions for animals say to apply it once a week and not wash it off at all! if you're going to oil your hair anyway, using sulfur mightn't hurt (unless it keeps making your hair fall out! eeek!) BUT if you don't like oil on your scalp, it seems like a lot of trouble to put it on for just an hour.

Hmmm, so how are you doing it, then? Maybe I am doing it wrong. You see, I don't regularly oil my scalp. It seems to tolerate a tiny bit of coconut oil every now and again, but other oils and I get hair fall.

Unfortunately, I added a mixture of oils to my sulfur mix, which could be the culprit. Since I have a nice sized jar of sulfur I could always just go back to the drawing board and make a mix of just coconut and sulfur. That might make an improvement.

But I'm wondering about a scalp application. I use a hair color applicator bottle and apply like applying hair color to the roots - so I really saturate the hair at my scalp, and then I massage it in. There isn't ANY way I could go around like that without washing. So I covered my head with my Aquis turban and slept on it. The next afternoon I washed it out. Lost a lot of hair, almost double what I'd lose during a wash on a bad day.

My hair still smells faintly of sulfur today - not enough to offend anyone else, but enough to bug me on and off - so I wonder if I can expect that means I still have some working on my scalp.

But if you are supposed to apply it and leave it on - how are you ladies doing that? Do you just use a great deal less than I am? Does your hair not look like a grease ball after you first apply? I need some help!! :cheese:

(I just had my Mom measure my hair last night, and by her calculation, my hair is only .5" at best longer than it was TWO MONTHS ago!! I have not had any breakage, hair is in great condition, but I did stop Nioxin, MN and MegaTek in that time. I am not a happy camper. But my Mom insists that my husband, who used to do my measurements, wasn't accurate and boosted my length to make me happy. So I've got a fresh start with her as my new measurer and we'll see how the DE and sulfur do. I am crossing fingers to see the great results you ladies are having!!! :cheese: If not, I will have to go back to MegaTek and/or MN and see if I can some results there again. But I really don't want to go back to Nioxin, I'm pretty happy SLS and 'cone free.)

Cat Lady
November 24th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Heidi,

yes, DE is about 85% silica, and i do believe that DE might be absorbed better than other forms...that could be its main health benefit--

however, DE is also used to remove parasites and heavy metals such as mercury, so for some people who have "mysterious" allergies, skin conditions, fatigue, etc, it might not be the addition of silica so much as the elimination of parasites & toxins that improves their health.

if you can't get DE where you are, then silica supplements might help. but at least here in the US, i can get 2 kilos of DE for less than $12, or half the price of one bottle of silica pills!

you wrote earlier: "I patiently took the pills for 3 months and my nails were as weak as always." i was just thinking, depending on how fast your nails grow, the new growth might only be about halfway up your nail bed so perhaps the stronger part isn't at your fingertip yet (i think nails grow from the "root" like hair, so vitamins aren't going to affect the part that's already out).

Wow. You've really got my attention now. I have "CFS" (this basically means they don't know what's making me sick) but my doctor recently indicated this may be caused by hydrogen sulfide toxicity, and the hydrogen sulfide is produced by nasty bacteria in my gut. (Sorry - that was probably TMI - I'm just so excited I had to share.) I wonder if this DE stuff will mop that up as well as provide silica so that I am healthy again, AND grow some nice long hair?

I am incredibly impressed by the fantastic results many of you are getting, especially JoJo - your hair is becoming so much longer, so quickly - and it shines like glass!

Are there any Australians on this thread who can tell me where to order DE from? I have a feeling customs might not like importing this stuff from overseas.

jojo
November 24th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Thank you so much Cat Lady, my hair normally grows quite slow from BSL to waist like 2.5" since January, from short to BSL I was getting 0.75" a month! So this is a great find for me, if I get just 1" a month i will be happy, plus the other health benefits are worth it, Id highly reccomend the DE especially its wonderful stuff.

piratejenny23
November 24th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hmmm, so how are you doing it, then? ... if you are supposed to apply it and leave it on - how are you ladies doing that? Do you just use a great deal less than I am? Does your hair not look like a grease ball after you first apply?

oh, i look like a total greaseball! lol
i only do it once a week (or less), so i put on a couple of ounces of MTG and leave it on overnight, sometimes do a heating cap for 1/2 hour too. if i did it more often i might try using less. but i think it's a pain, and 4 drops of ANY oil makes me look like a greaseball anyway so on the rare occasions i do oil, i just go nuts.

using sulfur hair oil products seems to be quite common amongst women of color, including Latinas. there are many more products in the "ethnic" haircare sections (doo gro, sulfur 8, de la cruz pomada de azufre) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/ndgoogle.php?cx=partner-pub-7395734147199233%3A9wvtpiv4l86&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=sulfur+hair+growth&sa=Search&siteurl=www.longhaircareforum.com%2Fforums%2F#1153

it sounds like oiling your scalp really frustrates/disgusts you; maybe try taking MSM sulfur pills first?

Rapunzal2Be
November 24th, 2009, 09:45 AM
oh, i look like a total greaseball! lol
i only do it once a week (or less), so i put on a couple of ounces of MTG and leave it on overnight, sometimes do a heating cap for 1/2 hour too. if i did it more often i might try using less. but i think it's a pain, and 4 drops of ANY oil makes me look like a greaseball anyway so on the rare occasions i do oil, i just go nuts.

using sulfur hair oil products seems to be quite common amongst women of color, including Latinas. there are many more products in the "ethnic" haircare sections (doo gro, sulfur 8, de la cruz pomada de azufre) http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/ndgoogle.php?cx=partner-pub-7395734147199233%3A9wvtpiv4l86&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=sulfur+hair+growth&sa=Search&siteurl=www.longhaircareforum.com%2Fforums%2F#1153

it sounds like oiling your scalp really frustrates/disgusts you; maybe try taking MSM sulfur pills first?

I do take MSM, have for about six months. I've noticed a difference, too! :)

Just thought this would be good to try, as well.

Well, it doesn't really disgust or frustrate me so much as I hate to lose so much hair in the wash afterwards. :(

Canarygirl
November 24th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I just ordered the DE from Wolfcreek Ranch (http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/buy_diatomaceous_earth.html#)

Will post results. . .good, bad or ugly.

"Food grade diatomaceous earth is great for the human family members as well. Overly toxic persons might experience a "healing crisis", as their system is detoxing too quickly, so it is suggested to start with a small dose and work up to the heaping tablespoon over a period of a few days or weeks, to help avoid this situation."

Editing to add: Regarding a possible "healing crisis" period. Read here for possible unpleasant reactions in the very beginning. Just something to consider (http://www.boducci.com/node/3) before embarking. :cool:

Boy, is that ever an excellent article about the healing crisis. I always wanted to understand more about how/why that happens. Thanks for posting. :)

CrisDee
November 24th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but this forum is so comprehensive and I'm still bumbling my way around. Many of you have been referring to MSM supplements - is this the same MSM that's often found in glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, or is this something else?

Also, is there any way to "bookmark" a thread? This particular thread has SUCH a wealth of information, I'd love to have it somewhere for reference when it gets bumped down the forum food chain by other threads :)

Thanks for helping a newbie figure things out :)

~CrisDee

Heidi_234
November 24th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but this forum is so comprehensive and I'm still bumbling my way around. Many of you have been referring to MSM supplements - is this the same MSM that's often found in glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, or is this something else?

Also, is there any way to "bookmark" a thread? This particular thread has SUCH a wealth of information, I'd love to have it somewhere for reference when it gets bumped down the forum food chain by other threads :)

Thanks for helping a newbie figure things out :)

~CrisDee
Yes, it's that exact MSM. It said to be helpful with joint problems.

You can subscribe to this thread by clicking "Thread Tools" on right side right above the thread (scroll to the very top of the page), and then "Subscribe to this thread". It will appear in your User CP everytime someone writes new reply, and it will be save in your subscribed threads section.

Elenna
November 24th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Calcium in milk products has been advertised for years and years as the answer for stronger bones and teeth. But this is to sell dairy products. Some people are intolerant to milk products, others don't drink/eat enough milk products, and it may not be part of diet in a culture. Don't get me wrong, calcium is important for strong bones.

However, if silica is good for nails and hair, then it must be good for bones and TEETH. I get plenty of calcium. So I am thinking that my problem with teeth enamel might be helped with silica.

Piratejenny, although this is about hair growth, I think that you've found something very important. And it makes sense that something that would cause hair to grow faster would be healthy for the entire body.

jojo
November 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I totally agree Elena, I know there will be a few sceptics but isnt there always? I know first hand, that DE is a wonderful product whose health benefits are amazing and quick results too.

It makes perfect sence to me, hair will only grow to its intended rate if the rest of the body is adequatelly nutritioned. DE has turned my health around and I truely believe its helping my hair, even if its just coincidence I still love the stuff, my only negative is the wind, its awful hopefully this will calm down, either that or I will have to take up kite flying!!! LOL!!

Demetrue
November 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I definitely want to get on the DE bandwagon. I've been suffering from back pain, joint pain AND asthma and poor sleep for a while now. It would be nice if I could take a supplement that would help all those other issues PLUS help my hair!

RancheroTheBee
November 24th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Question for those who have used DE with success; have you ever taken a silica supplement before trying DE?

gmdiaz
November 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Question for those who have used DE with success; have you ever taken a silica supplement before trying DE?

Yes, I take silica (horsetail) supplements and plan on continuting to take them and the DE. :)

gmdiaz
November 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Ha, I'm going to try this stuff one way or another! :grin:

The Wolf Creek brand was great. I had very good results with it. I've just read that the Perma Guard is more pure. But I really think both are good. Maybe contact Wolf Creek for more information about the difference between what they offer and Perma Guard? That would be interesting to find out!

gmdiaz
November 25th, 2009, 09:12 AM
mine doesnt say its for humans, just goes on about dogs fleas and worms eeek! but cant say ive felt woof off it!

Be SURE the one you use for yourself is food grade. . .that's super important!

Rapunzal2Be
November 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Be SURE the one you use for yourself is food grade. . .that's super important!

When they say it is used for pets, that is food grade. :)

grldollies
November 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM

I recomend Jarrows or Biosil liquid active silicon. I took horstail & silicon supplements for 8 months and they did nothing. I started Biosil about 3 weeks ago and my nails are way stronger for the first time in years. I just hope its helping my hair too! I just ordered some DE today so I will see how that helps soon.

Good Luck! :)

11 sellers on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000CLAI7C/ref=sr_1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1259178768&sr=8-1&condition=new

Local Stores in Fl- Chamberlains Natural Food store
they sell items on line thru thier sister store www.akins.com (http://www.akins.com)
they have a link - http://www.chamberlins.com/

BioSil® is a 30 ml solution of stabilized, concentrated orthosilicic acid, choline chloride and glycerine. Each drop contains 1 mg of silicon as stabilized, concentrated orthosilicic acid. There are 600 drops in each bottle.

Solution composition: 2% elemental silicon (Si) as stabilized, concentrated orthosilicic acid [Si(OH)4] in a solution of 47% choline chloride, 33% glycerol (vegetable) and 18% distilled water.
Other ingredients: Cellulose, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, modified cellulose gum and modified cellulose.

Ok here is a speil on it:
http://www.wrinkle-free-skin-tips.com/biosil.html
The Studies
Scientist from University of Brussels in Belgium conducted a 20-week double-blind study that involved 50 women (ages 40 to 65) with signs of sun-damage and premature aging of the skin.
Half the subjects received 10 mg of the biologically active form of silicon (exact same one found in BioSil™) and the other half were given a placebo.
The results showed that the group who received the biologically active form of silicon experienced 30% improvements in shallow, micro wrinkles and 55% in skin elasticity and a significant reduction in brittle nail and hair.

In addition, researchers at UCLA and other research institutions have demonstrated that silicon is necessary for the normal growth and development of connective tissues, joints; as well as for skin, nails,hair, arteries and cartilage. They basically concluded that every part of the body that requires strength and elasticity requires silicon.

Which Brand Is Best?
You may have seen silicon supplements in health food stores marketed for healthy skin and nails............... But the ingredients read: horsetail and/or colloidal gel (silica). This is the same!
The problem is these ingredients are poorly absorbed because of their insoluble, polymerized forms. In order to have proper absorption and receive optimum benefits from silicon – dietary silicon must first be converted to orthosilic acid – the biologically active form of silicon. Click here to purchase the Original biologically active form of this Liquid Collagen (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/cgi-bin/counter.pl?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ekqzyfj%2Ecom%2Fc lick-3185527-10436184%3Furl%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww%2Elef%2Eor g%252Fnewshop%252Fitems%252Fitem01007%2Ehtml%26cjs ku%3D01007&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ewrinkle-free-skin-tips%2Ecom%2Fbiosil%2Ehtml)

In 2007, the University of Cincinnati College of Pharmacy presented the findings of a clinical trial investigating the effects of the exact supplement original developed by Jarrow Formulas and is now sold by Natrol. Their 9 month randomized, double-blind study on women with fine hair found that the group using the Jarrow Formulas original product experienced a significant improvement in increased diameter of hair fibers (thicker hair).

But the group receiving the placebo actually saw a REDUCTION in hair strength and elasticity. According to Andy Wickett, Ph.D, Professor and Director of the Cosmetic Science Program at the University of Cincinnati....

"This study demonstrates that the oral intake of this dietary supplement may improve hair quality.” “Hair tensile properties such as strength and elasticity may degrade over time because of exposure to sunlight or other factors. In this study the intake of choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid increased the diameter of the hair and reduced the loss of elasticity and tensile strength compared to placebo."

Another study showed that when calves had their dietary silicon intake increased by 5% with this original formula, their silicon blood levels increased 70% compared to control animals. The study also showed a 12% higher collagen concentration in the skin of the BioSil-supplemented animals compared to the control animals. This increase in collagen formation has important implications for bones and joints since collagen is the major fibrous protein in these tissue. BioSil is the only silicon product with scientific proof of absorbability and effectiveness.
Dosage
This product comes in drops and now capsules. Each drop contains 1 mg of silicon and each capsule contains 5 mgs. The drops are tasteless and can be mixed into any drink. The standard dosage is 5 mgs per day.
BioSil Side Effects

Also, orthosilic acid is very safe without any side effects, even in higher doses. If you try to consume more than the recommended amount you may experience a little digestive disorder, bloating or diarrhea. These were the most documented common side effects.

Google price search
http://www.google.com/custom?hl=en&safe=active&client=pub-6067582810707887&channel=5070597267&cof=FORID%3A13%3BAH%3Aleft%3BS%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww. mywoot.net%3BCX%3AWTS%2520Search%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F% 2Flucy.cykian.net%2Fwts%2Fwpcl.png%3BLH%3A50%3BLC% 3A%23714701%3BVLC%3A%23663399%3BDIV%3A%23f29f01%3B&adkw=AELymgWKcM3rzdyV4nlc3cf2kQWj2D8eRv0XHRwBqzhkY rtahBCXn6z5NKLJZisEMnYBD3DoFQ5ZjQFLUJptMVrFLuK3yEj E4HgI8y4nZKB-SxlcoKB3wOPRV5QwioSla2cj2dmSt2DMndGs1SxZM-JyvdoFroSK16kMup8WnLhocWOHUu3U_cg&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&q=Biosil+%28Silicon+supplement%29+&btnG=Search&cx=partner-pub-6067582810707887%3Ayr3nxi-2c81

Elenna
November 25th, 2009, 02:59 PM
So far what seems to be recommended are:

For silica:
Horsetail supplements
Diatomaceous earth "food grade" by Wolf Creek Ranch or Perma-Guard. Has anyone found any other brands? Perma-guard uses fresh water diatomite earth.
Silica supplements by Jarrow BioSil or Natrol Biosil. What makes one brand "bioavailable" and another brand not?

For sulphur:
MSM
Foods that contain sulphur
Shapley's MTG or other sulphur hair treatments

Other items are biotin and minerals (Molasses, etc).

Crystalline silica particles are a component of quartz!

Rapunzal2Be
November 25th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I am using DE from Greensense (http://amzn.to/bOiYqU) or Nature's Wisdom. (http://amzn.to/crxcxL)

curlywurlygurly
November 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Sorry if I'm repeating someone I got a little lost in all the pages of this thread, but is it even possible to see results from DE in four days?? Or is the result of previous weeks or months regimes that have turned up in these 4 days?