PDA

View Full Version : only half an inch of growth in almost 3 months... why?

Sarah4983
October 13th, 2009, 08:19 PM
July 25th I measured my hair at 25.5 inches. It is now October 13th and I am only at 26 inches! Is it possible my hair grows THAT slowly?

Dars
October 13th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yes, could be from a variety of reasons including diet, illness, etc. Could also be breakage.

Elphie
October 13th, 2009, 08:24 PM
While I suppose it's certainly possible, it's also equally as likely that you may have not gotten a correct measurement one of those times. I know people use shirts with striped patterns to get a better indication of growth, perhaps trying something like that?

GlassEyes
October 13th, 2009, 08:25 PM
It could also be a measuring mistake--happens sometimes. but yes, breakage can contribute, diet, etc. etc. You may want to examine how you've been caring for your hair--with fine/medium hair, if you're brushing your hair, I'd look at that first.

That said, people can experience stalls--I wouldn't worry too much if there's no obvious breakage or hair loss.

Edit: I tend to go with how long my hair 'feels' or looks rather than measuring--it'd make me too obsessive, more so than now. And then there's my hair being curly, but that's irrelevant at the moment. Maybe try that? Elphie's suggestion is a good one.

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM
The suggestions above sound reasonable... breakage? Temporary slow growth (sometimes I have slow few months and then better growth for a bit)? Incorrect measurement?

You should measure again in a few months and base your growth on an average so that one wonky measurement won't throw you off.

Sarah4983
October 13th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Maybe it was a bad measurement in July... I measured it myself and then had my mom measure it for me and she also got 25.5..... Same with today; we both measured and got 26 so I guess they were right if we both got the same number.

I didn't think about breakage... I may try wearing my hair up more often.

I have a striped shirt I could use to measure.

I have been extremely stressed the past few months due to huge life changes (living situation, ending relationship, starting a new relationship, two new jobs, financial trouble, becoming a vegetarian 3 months ago)..... Soooo maybe that has something to do with it.

Thank you so much for the advice everyone :)

jojo
October 14th, 2009, 12:08 AM
How about 2" in 10 months, now thats slow!

I know mine is down to stress, but at least it has grown if even at a snails pace!

Just do what I do, continue to treat it nice, watch your diet and relax; it will grow!

A watched pot never boils and all that, hang in there. Your a fast grower compared to me!!

BranwenWolf
October 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I'm pretty frustrated, too. I haven't been measuring with inches but I go by where my hair hits on my back, and it's been stalled out most of the summer. My hair used to grow really fast so I don't know.
I might have to try buns more, maybe it's a breakage thing for me.

Hope things start growing better for ya!

RancheroTheBee
October 14th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I was previously under the impression that my rate was about 1/4th of an inch in two months, too. But I was just doing it wrong. :) How are you measuring it?

winter_star
October 14th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Welcome to my world. I'm convinced my terminal length is waist!

But it could just be down to not measuring properly? I'm a hopeless measurer and always get a different length.

spidermom
October 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I only got 3/4 inch in the past 3 months, so maybe we're under a slow-hair-growing moon (haha). I got 2 inches during the same time period last year so I'm really unhappy with this.

maaria
October 14th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I have the same problem :(I dont know why it is like that!! It can be so many things which is making that problem, like:stress, food, vitamins, minerals, sleep, sadness...
I hope get better growth soon!:)

Robinlyn
October 14th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I agree with everyone else...could be mistake in measuring, stress, diet, etc. Try and focus on taking care of your hair, eating well, exercise and drinking lots of water. I use to have hair stalls a lot. What worked for me is taking a vegetarian multi vitamin and biotin. Try not to worry about it too much, it will grow!! :)

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I bet it's either a mix-up in measuring (the measuring system we have here is flawed, but it's what we've got! :p), or that you're getting breakage from somewhere. Make sure you're not letting your hair rub between your back and the chairs or seats you sit in. :flower:

Also make sure you're eating a balanced diet, drinking water and taking plenty of vitamins. When your body goes on strike, your hair will too. :(

frodolaughs
October 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I've been getting 1/3 in or less of growth for the last few months. maybe Spidermom is right about being under a slow-growing moon.

MsBubbles
October 14th, 2009, 09:41 AM
It seems to be a common syndrome that hair grows like a weed to BSL then comes to an abrupt halt around 25 - 26". Mine seemed to do so also in the spring of this year. If you have any wave to your hair, it might simply be a discrepancy in measurement. Mine is dead straight though, so I know it just didn't grow.

Best thing I did at that time was to make like Donnie Brasco and fuggedaboudit.

LadyGunn
October 14th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Mine goes through spurts & stalls. I got 3 inches of growth from Dec. 10 of last year through Jan. 27, then only half an inch in the next several months. I've changed to measuring every couple months instead of every 2-4 weeks. I mainly go by feel - the inches won't appear to have changed much, if at all but yet it feels longer. :shrug: I just try not to worry about it too much anymore.

GoddesJourney
October 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
It is possible that your hair grows that slowly. However, there are four main factors to look at (aside from measuring technique):

1. Nutrition
2. Circulation
3. Stress
4. Breakage

Not enough of the right foods could be inhibiting growth. Poor circulation could be a factor as well. If you're not getting enough excercise, at least massage your scalp. Stress causes everything in your body to slow down, including hair growth. This could be everyday stress or stress due to things like sleep deprivation. Breakage is the unnoticed factor. If you see your roots growing out and your hair isn't getting any longer, this means you have damaged hair and it will break off until the good hair grows out. You can help this with oiling, S&D, or little trims.

Sarah4983
November 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Great advice, everyone. Thank you very much.

Mom measured it (twice because I flipped out the first time and wanted to make sure) and got 26.25 inches. Terrible.

I posted this about a month ago; so 1/4 inch in one month.... no good.... but at least it's going somewhere.

I have been *very* stressed so I'm sure that is contributing. I've been losing hair in clumps and continuing to lose circumference. I need so desperately to start running again... It's been difficult with work's long hours... but I need to force myself because I think exercising would help also as some of you mentioned.

The breakage is also a possibility... I could use a trim... I'm just so uncertain which shears to purchase. I bought $10 ones from Sally's about a year ago but I want better quality ones before I have mom trim.... I'm willing to spend around $30 for a good pair so any suggestions would be great.