PDA

View Full Version : High ponytail with longer than waist?

Irishred
April 20th, 2008, 02:42 PM
I saw a lovely long hair today when I went to the store. (She was getting in her car so I only got a quick look.) She had gray silver locks and I am guessing near knee length hair. I say guessing because she had her hair in a high braided pony tail. The braid was below classic and the tail was tied and started at the crown.

This is not a style I would personally wear unless I was doing a bun, my braids pull enough being very low. Would or do you wear your hair like this when it is below waist?

freznow
April 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Oh, I've tried, and not only does my hair not like being up so high, but it pulls, and it tangles, and it's just overall an awful thing. If it were a braided ponytail, like you describe that person's being, it might work better, but I can imagine the weight be simply too much...

So, no, I wouldn't wear my hair that way. If I did, it'd be because I really wanted to show off the length without it being all over the place, but I'd still probably get annoyed with it a shorter time after and roll it up into a bun.

Lixie
April 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I wear my hair in a high braided pony when exercising, and my hair is past tailbone. It doesn't pull at all, I guess my hair is just light. :shrug:

eresh
April 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
I wear mine (kneelength) in a high braided ponytail when I go to danceclass.
And sometimes a high ponytail when going to a club.
If I tie it right (no pulling hairs) it's comfy for a night, but it would be too heavy for an entire day.

anna1850
April 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I'm only at just about waist but I've never been able to do a proper high ponytail at all. I can never get the hair going into the ponytail to look smooth and it doesn't stay high. Plus, I don't like to comb my hair back at the front because I have a weird hairline and it's difficult to get the hair to go downwards then up into a ponytail.

However, I have found that that by doing a peacock twist and letting the ends hang loose I can get the same look as a high ponytail without messing up my hair at the front. I just start with a low ponytail, twist and clip. I thnk it would work on any length.

capelli lunghi
April 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I wear my hair in a high ponytail sometimes.. I've just gotten used to any weight there is so it doesn't bother me. I like it!

Vela
April 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
If I have my hair in a ponytail, it HAS to be high, other wise it mats.(not tangle, it just mats) I love having my hair up like that, solong as its pulled tight against my head, other wise it hurts if its too loose.

(My hair is halfway between TB&Classic)

wendyg
April 20th, 2008, 04:08 PM
There are quite a few pro tennis players with classic length hair who play with a high braided ponytail, mostly Russians - Anna Kournikova did, Anna Chakvetadze does (and hers looks really thick and heavy; she was the one who got her braid caught in her racquet during a point last year); Mary Pierce (when she was younger and had long hair), Elena Dementieva (though her hair at its longest wasn't quite that long), Alona Bondarenko (again, not quite that long).

wg

Curlsgirl
April 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I can't do high ponytails NOW much less with that length of hair! I doubt a high braid would be any better. So. NO! My scalp is way too tender!

Curlsgirl
April 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Oops double post!

cindy58
April 20th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I'm almost waist length. Friday was the first time that I tried putting my hair in a ponytail before braiding. It pulled uncomfortably, and I ended up taking it out. I think my usual method (starting with a french braid in the back) is easier on the hair.

There is a lady I work with (several years older than me) who has very thick long hair, and the ONLY style I ever see her wear is a high ponytail. She seems uninterested in any other alternatives.

Elle
April 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
My hair is a bit longer than knee-length and once in a great while I wear it in a high ponytail. Not a braid very often, though. I'm really lame at braiding. :lol:

Xanthippe
April 20th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I have worn my hip length hair in a high ponytail once that I can remember. I think it makes my hair look longer, and I got a lot of comments on the length when I did that. I really prefer lower styles though since they pull less in my experience. I hadn't tried a braided ponytail though, but I usually do French braids and I'm not sure how I'd get those to be any higher than nape.

Laululintu
April 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Whenever I do a high ponytail, the weight of my hair pulls it down relatively soon.

Carolyn
April 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I've tried a few times to wear my hair like that (hip length) but I just can't due to the discomfort and the tangling in a ponytail. I love the look but I just can't do it. I know a braid would take care of the tangle issue but a braid seems to add to the weight and my hair isn't really all that heavy.

Kittee
April 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I echo what has been said here. After wearing my hair up like that after a few hours I start to get a headache. =)

Cinnamon Hair
April 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I can do a high pony but if it's the least bit loose it falls within a matter of minutes, too tight and it pulls badly. I don't braid unless starting from an elastic ponytail band (no braiding skillz) and that pulls the same way a regular ponytail does, if not worse.

The only way I can wear a high ponytail comfortably is with a plain hairagami. If I use that at the base instead of an elastic it will distribute the weight across my scalp because of the way hair is flattened and spread in a hairagami. I haven't worn one in ages though.

Meli
April 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Another sensitive scalp here ;) I cannot wear any kind of high updos for more than a couple of hours. I wonder if it would be possible to train the follicles though... Some high updos are very pretty, and it would be fun if I could wear them sometimes.

Sillage
April 20th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I would wear it if my hair was below waist. High ponytails look really alluring imho. When I put my hair in one, I love the way it swings and bounces with me when I walk.

Riot Crrl
April 20th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I used to do it when my hair was that long. Well, I still do now that it's shorter. :) I can't explain the reason for this, but braided it seemed heavier and more pully and weird than it did loose.

Finoriel
April 21st, 2008, 01:23 AM
I canīt say, if I could wear one for a whole day. High ponytails sag down soon, even if they have an elastic at their base and are braided. Too heavy and slippery hair, I guess. Was not able to wear this style for a whole day after about tailbone, I think.
One version of the high ponytail which works for me is to separate the hair of the ponytail in two strands, wrap one of them around the base like a cinnamon bun and leave the remaining hair as a ponytail (braided or not). More comfortable and sagging down slower :)

Poppy Seed
April 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM
I also have trouble doing a 'proper' high ponytail: either it looks ridiculous - like it sprouts out of the middle of the top of my head - or it kind of slides down in about 10 minutes. Which leaves a great 'bubble' of hair underneath, pulls and becomes uncomfortable and permits my parting to reassert its presence!

My hair is not particularly heavy, it's just about getting to classic and also tangles like crazy if left in a ponytail. I think plaiting the tail would not help with the above problems, except for minimising the tangling.

Stevy
April 21st, 2008, 05:20 AM
Wow, that sounds gorgeous! I have to say I don't do high ponytails any more - it's the one hairdo that's guaranteed to give me headaches.

HeavenlyTresses
April 21st, 2008, 06:42 AM
After I reached classic this wasn't an option for me. Same problem of the weight giving me a headache and when I took it out it made my scalp hurt. Maybe I'll make one today just to have a pic of it.

Shell
April 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Actually, I've been wearing my hair in a very high ponytail lately, and I'm just at classic. I really like the look, but find that it doesn't stop me sitting on it--for some reason the ends still reach down to almost classic. I don't usually braid this style, as I find that the braid becomes a weapon. :twisted:

heidihug
April 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
If I have my hair in a ponytail, it HAS to be high, other wise it mats.

Me, too, Vela. I'm at classic, and I never wear my hair in a loose pony anymore - it will be a rats nest within minutes if I do. And I either have to wear a high braided pony or a very low braided pony, or my profile looks ridiculous - I hate it sticking out of the middle of the back of my head. I don't have a problem with weight, as my hair seems to weigh next to nothing. As a matter of fact, I am wearing a high pony rope braid today to go with my peasant-style skirt and blouse.

Speaking of braids as a weapon, Shell, I have some elastics with baseballs attached which I wear when we go to games and on opening day. They are heavy, so if I wear them at the end of my pony, they make pretty nasty kung-fu weapons!

Anje
April 21st, 2008, 09:19 AM
Saw this thread, thought it would be an easy style for me with my bum finger. So I have a medium (ear-height) pony in with a braid right now. Seems comfortable enough, and it feels very "swingy," which is fun. ETA: My hair is a little past hip -- it's down to those little dents above my butt.

Curlsgirl
April 21st, 2008, 12:12 PM
I canīt say, if I could wear one for a whole day. High ponytails sag down soon, even if they have an elastic at their base and are braided. Too heavy and slippery hair, I guess. Was not able to wear this style for a whole day after about tailbone, I think.
One version of the high ponytail which works for me is to separate the hair of the ponytail in two strands, wrap one of them around the base like a cinnamon bun and leave the remaining hair as a ponytail (braided or not). More comfortable and sagging down slower :)

For fun I tried this today and it DOES feel more comfortable! I like the way it swings too! I am about to take it down but I made it for 7 hours anyway! It's not a really high ponytail but higher than usual. It's weird that it does reach the same place on my back like Cinnamon Hair said. You would think it would be shorter :shrug:

Snowblood
April 23rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
No, I canīt wear high pony tails though I love the look on extra long hair.
It sags down very quickly and I get a terrible headache. :( My hair is not in the iii category but still too heavy for a high pony tail.

Magdalene
April 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
I can either do a very high pony, or low- nothing in between! the trick for me is getting it balanced in the sweet spot just above the crown.

A loose pony IS lighter than a braid, for some reason. Less dangerous, too. (I've been requested NOT to wear a braided pony when dancing!)

Rheia Althia
April 23rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
I can do it and it will hold but I'm just paranoid that I am breaking my hair, even with those ouchless elastics (a scrunchie will not hold it up that high).

I get paranoid when it concerns my hair.

Irishred
April 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
I know I wore my hair in a high pony a LOT when it was above BSL. I haven't done one in ages though. Maybe I should try it. I do like the idea of wrapping the base. Maybe a 2/3 braided tail and a 1/3 braid to wrap? Would this make a nice variation for a chinese bun to be really high?

lora410
April 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Actually, when I was a kid lady with a long blond high pony was my first inspiration to grow. I will never forget how in awe I was of that ponytail whenever i saw her and I still can see her hair until this day. I can't wait to have a nice long ponytail.