PDA

View Full Version : What was your family hair like?

Niftytiffs
October 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I was thinking back to a comment I made about what hair length I'd like to eventually achieve and that got me thinking about hair genetics. I'd love to achieve knee length hair at least once as I knew my mother had that length hair around about when she got married. That kind of suggests to me that I should be able to get there, as long as I have inherited the genes from my Mum.

What were your family hair achievements and do you think that genetically you take after someone?

I know I have my fathers coarseness and my mothers greyness! We have yet to see if I have my mothers ability to grow length!

Tiffers

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 01:40 PM
My dad's hair is way wavier and coarser than mine. My mom's is fine like mine but thinner. They're both very salt and pepper now (mid 50s).

maaria
October 13th, 2009, 01:45 PM
My dads hair was thick and black, later on gray, my moms hair is thin just like grandmoms was and lightbrown just like in my avatar photo. If I could chose I liked to have hair like my dad.

Bene
October 13th, 2009, 01:48 PM
The earliest memories I have of my mom are of her hair :) She had this thick black hair that she kept at tailbone-ish length. So shiny and and soft, straight with some minor waves in it. Like stereotypical asian or Native American hair. She'd let me play with her braid to keep me quiet. Then she went and chopped it all off and dyed it, so I stopped paying attention to what she does to it. Now she's fully grey under the dye.

My dad has really fine, ash brown hair. Like baby fine and soft, but it curls, I'd say he's a 3B. If you closed your eyes and touched his hair, you'd think it was a baby's head :D My dad is greying now, but since his hair isn't so dark, it just looks lighter as opposed to "greying"

I suppose I got my mom's color and thickness/courseness, and my dad's curls.

Merewen
October 13th, 2009, 01:49 PM
My hair is fine like my mom's, but a little thicker and more wavy. My hair is not like my dad's in any way that I can tell.

Color-wise, you'd have to look at my extended family to find anyone with anything close to my hair color, and then it's only one aunt her daughters/my cousins. I seem to have my mom's gray hair genes as opposed to my dad's as well because I haven't found any yet. Sure, I'm only 22, but my mom's family seems to have almost no gray at all, and my dad's family all goes gray super early, so the fact that I haven't found any yet means that I'll probably be watching the gray hair thread in jealousy (My 19 year old brother on the other hand definitely got my dad's genes there).

Length-wise, my mom likes to tell about my great-grandma who had hair longer than she was tall, and how she would stand on a stool and have her hair braided every night, so I'm really hoping those genes got through to me!

Armelle
October 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM
My mom had stick-straight brown hair that grew to her hips when I was too young to remember. My dad has coarse, wavy brown-black hair...I think the longest he let it grow was just shy of apl. The only person in my extended family that had long hair when I was growing up was a step-aunt with classic length hair...and boy, I was enraptured! :D I seem to have the goldish-reddish-brownish hair of a great-aunt on one side of the family and the coarse curls from my dad's side.

I'll have to see if I can find a photo...

dernhelm
October 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
My dad has dark brown, coarse, curly hair (he had an afro in the 70s, I saw the pics). Mom has med. brown fine, thin, straight hair. I got my mom's fine strands and my dad's curls (looser curl pattern, though). I have ten siblings and only three of us (myself included) have curly hair, one has barely wavy hair, and the rest are straight. And there are three with dark blonde hair (no curls).

Lemur_Catta
October 13th, 2009, 01:58 PM
My mother has wavy, coarse hair, and a lot of it. I am not sure it is really wavy though, it is really dry and damaged because of the dyes and if she doesn't heat style it appears frizzy and wavy. But I know she got a perm when she was younger so her hair was probably straighter back then.
My sister has fine, curly hair, the same as my dad, who is starting to go grey now (only a few grays though) that he is fifty. My mother started going gray at 25.
My other female relatives have straightened\treated hair, so I don't really know how it is. My male relatives keep it too short to notice any curl\wave.

I have almost straight (most people ask me if I flatiron :D) normal hair. My mom says it is the same color she has when she was young, but I have seen some pictures and it seems to be darker than hers.
Anyway I don't know who I got the straight hair from :D

spidermom
October 13th, 2009, 02:14 PM
My father is 82 and keeps his hair cropped so short that I really can't see it, except that he still has a lot of dark stubble - lots more dark than white/gray. I have no idea whether it is straight or curly or something in-between. My mother (deceased) also had dark hair; hers was curly. I do have blonde relatives, and all hair types, from stick-straight to at least 3A or 3B curly, baby fine to coarse. All colors and textures and types are present on my head.

Konstifik
October 13th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I have all my hair from my mothers side: Thin, slow and stubborn. :rolleyes:
When I think about it, no one in my family, none on my mothers side and none on my fathers, have long hair.
My aunt recently had about mid-back, but cut it. Now my grandmother is the only one with longer hair than shoulder/neck (she's ~APL).
So, in all of my family, I'm the one with longest hair... APL. :cheese:

pepperminttea
October 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
My mother had really long hair when she got married too - around classic length. She cut it off when she started getting hair headaches, right back to a short 'mature style'. I asked her once why she didn't cut it back to waist, or even BSL; "long hair's for the young". Psh - I hope to be rocking long hair way into my middle age, if not older! :D Though she watched me putting my hair into a single braid for the night at some point in summer, and I could've sworn she looked wistful.

But hair rambles aside, my Dad has thick late-greying coarse hair, my mother has thick, less coarse (though more so these days), faster-greying hair - both about 1B/1C. I've inherited the thickness, and it has gotten more coarse the older I get, though time will tell with the greys, I've only found a few so far. My eldest brother has near-identical hair to mine (albeit a short cut), but my middle brother is much darker in colour - a few days after washing it looks black, rather than its actual rich dark brown.

elianne
October 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
My mother and I (and one of my sisters) have exactly the same hairtype - and I mean exactly. My mom and I currently have almost the same length hair, too! (She has always had long hair.. never shorter than APL I believe.) You can look in my profile/album pics to see what our hair is like.

My father and my other sister have pretty much the same hair as I do, except that it's a little bit coarser and thicker. I once measured my sister's pony and she has a 5" circumference, with the elastic pulled as tightly as possible around her super straight hair. :D

MsBubbles
October 13th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I have no idea what my mother's hair is really like except for the color. She has had it in that 1950s short permed style now since, well, the 1950s! My dad has thin, fine but full head-covering of ashy brown hair that used to be blond.

So let's see: Northern European Mom (ashy brown, ?? texture) + Northern European Dad (ashy brown, fine, straight 'n' greasy) = me (dead straight, ashy light brown/blonde,fine).

The only person I know of in my family, even going back through photos, who ever had hair past APL/BSL was my first cousin, whose Dad is Irish. She had the most stunning cascade of silky brown/reddish hair as a kid, down to TB or so.

This is why I'm so excited to go on this journey with you all here. I will be a rarity/oddity in my immediate family if I ever have healthy, shiny, TB hair.

Niftytiffs
October 13th, 2009, 04:41 PM
You know, I'd love to get a thread together where everyone who can shows off a historical longhaired relative! I think that would be interesting :D

I'm gonna have to check out my parents wedding photos I think as well as some older edwardian ones I have :)

Its interesting to hear about how everyones hair compares to the rest of their family!

Tiffers

Themyst
October 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
My dad's hair is hard to type as he has always worn it slicked back 'Greaser' style with a little curl in the front. It's black, his father was from North Wales.

My mom has light brown fine hair. It's hard to tell what type she is also because she's always kept it fairly short and permed.

I hope I got some of my father's genes because he's in his 70's and only 20% of his hair is gray!

rchorr
October 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
My dad's hair was dark, kinky/curly and rather coarse. My mom's was dark and stick straight. They're both gray/white/silver now. My hair is light auburn, fine and wavy/curly. My brother's is copper penny red, VERY curly and coarse. My sister's is dark and even curlier than my brother's, but it's not quite as coarse.

My mom and dad both had very dark hair, so it was somewhat puzzling when only 1 kid had dark hair! LOL!

RCHORR'

GlassEyes
October 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
My father has 4a or 4b hair, that is (if memory serves) fine and very soft when he doesn't shave it, and my mother has 2c/3a/F/M/ii hair, I think. I think I take after my mom--her hairtype can get pretty damn close to mine at it's short length with some KCCC, and I think we share a similar thickness and texture.

As far as length, she doesn't think she can grow her's out, or that it would look good long (it'd look damn good long--her face could carry anything, damn it), so the longest she's really had it is just past shoulder length. My grandmother was a hippie, and had pin straight, 1b hair, I think, that my sister inherited. :shrug: It might've gotten a bit wavier before she died, but I don't know if she styled it or not--probably did. Her hair could have reached waist at some point in time, but I think it hovered around APL.

If anyone in my family is good to look at for a hint as to being able to grow it out, it's my sister, and her hair isn't extremely long by LHC standards--just passing waist, nearing hip. She's probably going to cut it soon, though. :(

As far as my great-grandmother, I've only seen one picture of what I THINK is her, and she had a traditional 40's bob.

teela1978
October 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM
My dad's hair is very fine and straight, went gray pretty early (thanks dad) but was light brown. Mom is a little wavy but not very, probably an M ii for thickness/texture, so pretty similar to me. She's pretty gray under her blonde dye, but I don't think she really started to turn till her mid 40s or so. Before that it was a very dark brown.

Among 'the aunts' (grandma and her sisters), there's a lot of variation. They all keep their hair in the little old lady with a perm 'do, but none of them dye anymore. Most of them have a few silvers here and there, one is steel grey and one is beautifully white. I have a feeling mine will end up more steel gray like my dad's.

RubyRose
October 13th, 2009, 05:03 PM
My daddy has very very thin hair and my momma has horse-like coarse hair. I got my daddy's. : (

ancilla
October 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have the same exact hair as my mom's, thick when young, very wurly and frizzy and coarse (she's native american). It's quite unmanageable when short, when I had my hair short I would HAVE to flat iron it after every wash or it would look like I was constantly in a whirlwind :(

now that it is long and hennaed, it has calmed down a lot and straightened a bit. I also put it into a damp bun to make it more manageable. I've been henna-ing my mom's hair for a while now and it has helped her hair a lot as well, though she refuses to grow it out longer than her shoulders.

I just hope my hair doesn't thin out like hers has with age :scared:

I forgot to mention, I started seeing a few white hairs a couple months ago (at age 25). I have been henna-ing them though.

Niftytiffs
October 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I have loads of grey already which is my mums fault! She was pure white by the time she was 50 but used that to her advantage! It was bsl for a while and she used to use various hair colours in it to give her pink, blue, green and purple streaks! She was walking through a town centre once and a chap walked into a lamp post as he couldnt take his eyes off her!

Tiffers

windinherhair
October 13th, 2009, 05:23 PM
There really hasn't been anyone in my family that has grown their hair this long besides my great grandmother on my dad's side. I don't know a lot about her hair. So I don't know about their terminal lengths. My dad and mom both have similar hair types so it is hard to tell exactly which one I am taking after. I suppose it will depend if I am having to cover up gray hairs by the time I am 30. My mom told me she had to start coloring when she turned 30. My dad only had a few gray hairs by his 40's.

Fractalsofhair
October 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I do remember fondly my dad brushing my hair a lot when I was little. He has thick, but fine medium brown hair that he did have long when he was young, but that he cut short when he got married to my mother. My mother has brown/black(with red undertones) curly hair that she dyes to cover the grays. It's actually a lot lighter when I look at photos of her natural color, almost a true red(When she was little.), so I do think she's possibly where I get my blonde from. I do know my brother had knee length hair despite balding and wearing it down all the time(and not using conditioner! Or even a 2 in 1), and we have very similar hair in all but color and mine is slightly wavier, but if he can get that with that, I do trust that my hair can grow long, and will probably look a lot better than my brother's. What seems to be very common among people in my family is that our hair dislikes bleach A LOT. My cousin dyed his hair blonde, and it fried(Again, very similar hair). My mother does dye her hair, but she does have a lot of splits from it and keeps it shortish.

Alexannee10
October 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
My mom have very curly blond hair. That's not my case lol .. My father have straight black hair. Not my case too .. I'm kinda in the middle.. Not straight, but not curly (my hair are straighten on my avatar loll) and brown ..

natorade
October 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM
On my moms side everyone pretty much has thick thick hair that grows extremely fast. When my great grandma was 100 years old she still had extremely thick hair. No balding what so ever. My mom and brother can cut their hair and it seems like it grows back fast. My mom cut her bangs real short like Jim Carey in dumb and dunber and in 2 weeks they were past her eyebrows. I know my dad had real thick hair too I don't know about the rest of his family as I have never met them. But my mom told me that my dad would get a crew cut and it would be past his ears in 2 weeks. It seems like my hair doesn't grow as fast but it is definately thick

YoginiCelestial
October 13th, 2009, 05:36 PM
That's a great question Niftytiffs!
My hair is definately half my mothers side and half my father's side.
Mother's was thicker and dark brown, with waves. At her longest length, around mid-back.
My dad's hair thinner, oilier and medium brown, always very short, little wave, not much. His mother,my Granny, had blondish brown, with waves. In her younger years, close to waist length. I do have some blond/reddish highlights from her. The dutch ancestors in her bloodline.
I thank my Granny in the heavens above for those ever so slight natural highlights.

JCFantasy23
October 13th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Wellll I dont know. Ive never seen a long haired person in my family. They do seem to have thick hair though, besides my brother, who doesn't. So I'm hoping I can really thicken my hair up. My mother has some grays but I can't really see them - my fathers hair is not gray but his mustache is. He's 56 and she's 53 so I'm taking this as a good sign.

Teazel
October 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM
One of my paternal great-grandmothers has long been a hair-idol of mine:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=583&pictureid=16865

On the maternal side, my mother likes to tell me of how, when she was a child, she would watch her grandmother brushing her waistlength hair before plaiting it for bed. Then her daughters talked her into cutting it short and a poodle-perm. :sad: She only had a few strands of silver when she died.

Apparently my mother's mother had knee-length hair when she was 13 - one reason why I want to get to that length, myself! She "went grey overnight" in her 30s, and passed that gene on to me.

Both my parents had thick, wavy, dark brown hair. Father went grey before he died aged 59. Mother's hair has thinned a lot; I'm not sure if that's due to female pattern baldness, or because she's been dyeing it for decades. She says she'll quit the dye when she turns 70, which will be March next year. :)

My eldest sister is 50 and still has beautifully thick hair, despite dyeing it. I'm hanging on to hope my hair won't thin like Mother's has....

masterofmidgets
October 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
My mom has very fine, very straight, very blonde hair that I was always super-jealous of when I was younger, especially looking at the pictures of when she was my age and had waist length hair. It's been a long time since I've seen my dad's hair longer than an inch or so, but I'm pretty sure it's thick and 2a/2b wavy. And black - his whole side of the family is dark-haired from my grandma, but he's the only one whose hair is just BLACK.

Shiva
October 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
One of my paternal great-grandmothers has long been a hair-idol of mine:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=583&pictureid=16865

That is such an awesome photo.

:)

I know I have my mom's hair straight, fine and alot of it. My dad had dark, thick, wavy hair. Out of the 3 of us siblings only one of my brothers got my dad's hair.

I know my mom is gray and I am going gray. I don't know if my dad would've gone gray because he died at the way too early age of 46.

Tangles
October 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
My parents have opposite hair--my mom's is straightish, fragile and blonde with a hint of red, while my dad's is coarse, very curly and black (now salt and pepper). My mom never wore her hair longer than upper BSL, claiming it was too straight and thin. However, both my grandmothers had thick, long hair all their lives. I'm at a nice happy medium between my parents with wavy, reasonably thick brown hair, though like my mom's, it does break easily.

shortgoinglong
October 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
My Dad has blonde hair that is thinning. My mom is a long waist length brunette with straight hair. I have thick, straight blonde hair.

Maud
October 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM
my dad's side has thick and fairly coarse straight hair and my mum's side has very thin and very fine hair, also straight. my mum had almost white blond hair while her sister had black hair.And my dad's family has brown hair.
I have straight thick but fine blond hair.

Maddy25
October 14th, 2009, 08:49 AM
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n296/addie2525/4766_94742390913_501835913_2032992_.jpg

I'm in the center, My dad is a natural blonde, he passed away at the age of 29 when I was 7 but had long beautiful hair right up until then. My mom always had bottled blonde, down to past her waist...still does! They both had really thick hair too. I get the blonde from my dad, one of the things Im very proud to share with him and it makes me feel closer :)

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 09:08 AM
There isn't a lot of long hair in the limited ancestry I'm aware of. (Dang, you'd think being an LDS in the past would have taught me to look up my family history? I'm so lazy :D)

My great-grandma had floor-length hair, and one of my grandma's sisters had it too (she was of the Pentacostal faith)...my grandma went to knee-length or thereabouts, but her hair was very very VERY fine and thin. I'd say she'd be a 1a/F/i on the typing system here. I mean, MAYBE five strands of hair were about a foot longer than the rest. But she loved it and kept what hair she did have very long, and I applaud her for that. :)

On my dad's side, I'm not sure about hair length. The 2 generations that are still alive on that side have very short, thick, coarse hair. I think they keep it short because it's so curly, thick and coarse, and would probably be a pain in the tail to deal with otherwise. They would probably be 3c/C/iii on here.

So I'm in the middle, with 2a/M/ii. LOL. I have been nearly to knee in the past, and I don't think I'll have any trouble getting there again. It might even be within the next year, if I can stay off the scissors. (Hi, my name is JamieLeigh and I'm a trim-aholic. :p)

fluffybunny
October 14th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I'm in the center, My dad is a natural blonde, he passed away at the age of 29 when I was 7 but had long beautiful hair right up until then. My mom always had bottled blonde, down to past her waist...still does! They both had really thick hair too. I get the blonde from my dad, one of the things Im very proud to share with him and it makes me feel closer :)

Maddy25, that's an awesome family photo! Such blondeness. Your dad was really handsome.

Teazel
October 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
That is such an awesome photo.

Thanks, Shiva! My sisters and I just fell in love with gt-grandmother's photos when our grandfather first showed them to us. She was a lovely person, too, from what I've heard. :)

Maddy, I just love your photo! How sad that your dad passed away so young. :grouphug:

GeoJ
October 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
My hair is 2bNii and brown, my Mom's is 2aNii/iii and brown with a spattering of grey, and my Dad's was 1cCii and dark brown (now it is short and grey). My parents never grew their hair very long.

My Mom's mother has a white poodle perm now, but used to have strawberry blonde curly hair, always kept fairly short. Her mother had a big pompadour in her graduation photo, but it was bobbed within a few years of that photo. My Dad's mother has short grey hair now, but had 1c brown hair in her youth, her mother also had similar hair, but did not get much grey hair, even in her old age.

I have various old photos of past family with ladies in fancy hairdos- but they are almost all mostly hidden by big fancy hats, and no photos of anyone with their hair down.

Arctic_Mama
October 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hmm, this is a very interesting thread! My dad's side perplexesme on hair, as I have a hard time figuring out what color/texture my grandparents had and have never asked. My dad, however, has medium/fine textured. mid-tone warm brown hair that has maybe a 1c body wave to it. I honestly have no idea how thick it is, but before he started balding a bit it looked ii thickness.

My Mom's side, I know a great deal more about in terms of hair (and everything else! I was always closer to those grandparents). My grandmother had medium to dark reddish brown hair with 3b ringlets, that is curly and thick to this day (hairdressers have a hard time cutting it!) and my grandfather had thin, pitch black hair that was literally darker than typical Asian hair (he was welsh). My mother inherited 2c/3a thick hair that was dark brown, and cool in tone, as well as being very thick.

I find it fascinating that our hair, as a family, gets less curly with each generation. Mine is solidly 2b and as far as I can tell my dsughter's both have 1c/2a hair. I got thickness and texture from my mom, I think. Fine, with some medium hairs, and very thick (it has thinned due to pregnancy sheds and yet it still just over 4 inches). The color though, seems to be my dad's. My mom had fairly light brown hair when she was young but it darkened, and mine was dark ashy blond until a few years ago. Now I cannot honestly tell if it is blond or brown, it's right on the eye, but almost identical to my dad's color when he was in his 20's and 30's.

I used to hate my wave but I LOVE it now. I idolize a beautiful portrait of my grandmother's auburn ringlets from back in the 1940's and now wish mine was a bit curlier like hers, but am enjoying the texture of my hair more and more.

The blond I had for years makes no sense, I don have any family with that shade except two cousins from my dad's side who were a few shades darker than me. I assume my grandfather had blondish hair, based on the grey shade in old photographs, so maybe it was from him? My paternal grandmother had very dark brown hair, herself, that looked thin and 1b, so I don't think I got anything from her :)

It's fun to think about!

lundmir
October 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I've got my dad's fine, straight hair but my mom's bluish black color. Hers is coarse, thick and wavy.

Stephichan
October 14th, 2009, 08:00 PM
My mom has wavy/curly hair much like I do, but her natural color darkened further than mine did when she was my age. I think I once saw a picture of her with maybe mid back or waist length hair... dunno. She cut it short when she joined the air force and the longest it's been since then was somewhere between apl and bsl, but then my dad talked her into cutting it :( Of course, about the same time was when he talked into not dyeing it anymore. He found out that ppd can cause cancer, and my mom's hair was so two-toned because she has a lot of grey and so her roots would always be a reddish brown but her ends would be much darker.

My dad had really light blonde hair as a child, but now it's such a dark brown it's nearly black. I think the longest it's ever been was to his shoulders (which was a very startling discovery, I must add). There was a summer where he didn't have to cut it for ROTC and didn't feel like doing so. I have more of my dad's face, so I often do a side part like he does. I just can't pull off a middle part like my mom and sisters can.

My sisters both have had great hair. My oldest sister (probably about 2a, she's not quite as wavy as I am) used to always keep it around apl, but then she grew it to her waist for her wedding. It was beautiful, but then she chopped it afterwards. My second oldest sister can grow her hair long in nearly no time flat. She has really nice, 1b shiny chocolate-brown hair that for the longest time she had at her waist, then in college she started keeping it shorter. Just today I saw a picture of her and her hair is just about bsl. I was so sad because I've been trying to grow my hair long for about a year (although I did have some big trims here and there) and I'm nowhere close to bsl.

hennaphile
October 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Mom: Had the Same Princess Leia hair I used to have... lots fell out and the rest went to *heck* with nonstop chemical dyes and heat.

Brother: Extremely thick jet black hair

Dad: normal, now balding.

Wicked Princess
October 15th, 2009, 04:08 AM
My hair definitely resembles my Filipino mother more than it does my English father. Like hers, my hair is so dark brown it's nearly black and naturally pin straight (although she perms her hair now, and I permed my own a few years ago - only once - I regret it now!). Until she was 30 or so, she had tailbone length hair, at which point she had children (namely, myself, who was a terror) and told me she really didn't want to take care of that length any longer. So it's around BSL now. I also have her dark brown, Asian eyes, and darker complexion.

My father's hair is naturally very light blond, and very fine. Apparently, all the women on my father's side of the family go grey VERY early - like by 25. I'm 25 now, and have no hint of grey, so we'll see how long it lasts. :)

ZenBird07
October 15th, 2009, 05:34 AM
My mother had thigh length hair in her late teens/ early twenties if I remember correctly ( I was around six years old). She had been maintaining it there for quite some time and took really good care of herself -then cancer struck. Years later she was diagnosed again. Really hard to grow healthy hair after cancer.
I don't know to much about my biological father's hair...
My great grandma on my mom's side had long hair she always kept in a bun, then she got cancer to but I don't know what happened to her hair because that's what she died from...

Ryanne
October 15th, 2009, 09:02 AM
My hair is very similar to that of my father, minus the balding part. He hardly has any left now, but it used to curl a bit, like mine, 2c with some 3a and the colour is also very close. It was shoulderlength when I was an infant.
My mother has 2a/b-ish, brown hair, a few inches above BSL, that she's growing longer.
My brother's blond, fairly short, the ends of his hair will curl once past neck, but then he cuts it back again.

Gladtobemom
October 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Dad's side all have wavy, fluffy, blonde to brown hair. Lots of hair.

Mom's side have coarser very dark hair with a little bit of wave or straight.

Mine is like dad's.

metalgypsy85
October 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
My mom used to have thick waist length hair, but dyed the heck out of it, so now it's barely shoulder. My dad's hair is super thick and curly. Mine is fine and stick straight. The longest hair in my family is one of my cousins. She has tailbone length super healthy hair, and the same type as me-thin, fine, dark. I eventually want to reach thigh length, but no one in my family in the past 100 years that I know of has ever grown it that long.

RocketDog
October 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM
My father had thick, dark brown curly hair in his youth, and my mother has thin, wavy hair that was mid-brown until she started going silver in her 40's.

I inherited my father's texture and my mother's volume... my blonde haircolor is a throwback to my grandparents' generation. My brother got my father's color and thickness, but no curl. My middle sister got my mother's volume and a similar color to mine, but hers is slightly wavy instead of curly like mine. My twin sisters got my father's thickness and my mother's mid-brown color, but their hair is stick-straight.

Leisje
October 15th, 2009, 11:55 AM
My family all has thick, dark hair. (Well, except Pops. Who is now balding.) And not one of them has long hair!

I somehow came out with very fine, white blond hair.
I envy them.

young&reckless
October 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I have thicker hair (individual hairs) then my mom but the same overall thickness. Her hair never would grow longer then BSL and mine is currently a little past waist. My family has rainbow hair! Everything from White blond to red to almost black all more straight then wavy with no natural curls.

My hair is a mix of colors of medium brown, blond and a few stray reds. So color wise and texture I'm totally my mom's side of the family (strange because beyond that I look like my dad's side, all white pale skin, and inches shorter then even my teenage family members on my mom's side.)

burns_erin
October 15th, 2009, 02:46 PM
My mother's hair is very fine AND thin abd pin straight, and before she went grey she was dirty blond, oddly, her greys are darker than her blonde was. She started greying in her thirties, but is not completely grey. And her hair simply will not grow past midback.

My father's hair is courser, but very thick, and wavy. His hair is black and white. He started greying in his teens and it is still incomplete. His hair will grow quite long but he has never explored terminal.

My hair is very fine, but very thick, and pin straight. BUt my hair color is dar brown and red mostly (even without the henna). I started greying as a teen, and seem to have about as much as my father had at my age, but instead of lovely white it is very dark grey like my mother's. The longest my hair has ever been is classic, but that is still pretty long.

So I am a very curious mix of the two.

prittykitty
October 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
My mother always had very fine, kind of thin straight hair and wore it short the majority of her life. She was in continuous bondage to hair coloring. In fact I have never seen her real hair color. I am sure she has had just about every color they make. She has always used heat styling and as a teenager I can remember always seeing lots of little pieces of hair in the bathroom sink after she was done doing her hair. Still she would always comment me about how lucky I was to have the long hair I had when I was a child. I don't know why she didn't take care of her own hair. On my fathers side they are all Mexican and have thick, curly and wavy dark hair. Some members on that side even have very long straight, dark hair. I seem to have taken after the Mexican side of the family because my hair is definitely not straight and thin like my mothers. Mine is dark,curly/wavy not super thick, but not thin either.

klcqtee
October 15th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Over the years I've wondered if my dad was sleeping around...I really think that I'm not related to my mother, but she claims she was there for the whole thing! haha.

I have my dad's coarseness, thickness, curl, and wave pattern (one side flips up, one side flips down). I might have my mom's colouring. Although, my mom and Aunt (on my dad's side) have the same colour...

Most people in my family have always had short hair, because it's so much easier to deal with, when it has enough wave to get poofy, but not enough to get curls. It was basically just too heavy to keep up all the time, and too hot to leave down. My mom has very very thin hair, but she once had it grown to tailbone for many years, and she now maintains between BSL and Waist. She also dyes it California girl blonde, so the fact that she maintains it at such a long length, while covering it in peroxide give me hope!

Amy-Lee
August 16th, 2021, 07:09 PM
My mother had very fine, straight, silky hair. Her salt and pepper locks was passed her bum. My father had thick, curly, coarse hair. Before I was born, he wore it in a big afro. I ended up with hair in-between... wavy.

Kathie
August 16th, 2021, 09:12 PM
My mother had thick long WL hair when she was in her 20s. Unfortunately, soon after that she was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. As a result, for most I've my life she has kept it really short because she finds it easier and cooler. But even to this day she only has a very few number of gray hairs.

My farther has dark hair that's about 50:50 gray.

Shepherdess
August 16th, 2021, 10:06 PM
My dad has very fine strand thin mostly straight light blonde hair. He tried growing it out but wasn't able to get it much longer than shoulder length; granted he didn't put it in any protective styles. He is half Finnish, with Swedish and other northern European backgrounds.
My mother has very thick/dense medium/coarse strand, poofy frizzy curly hair. It was brown with a few red tinges in her young adult years but turned silver grey early on in her 40s. She is Scandinavian, German, English, and other European backgrounds. She used to always keep it around waist to hip length, but now that she is older it is around knee length. Her father also greyed early and had a full head of curly white hair by the age of 30. Her aunt was a red head with very curly thick poofy hair. Her mother had finer blonde wavy hair that she always kept short.

I have a mix of mostly fine with medium strand hairs and very thick/dense 3a/3b poofy frizzy curly ashy golden blonde hair (gets a few red tinges from sun exposure). I must have got my fine strands from my father's side and my curls and poofyness from my mother's side. :p Although my hair is even curlier than my mother's, so I'm not sure how that happened. It is an interesting combination!

I took a DNA test recently from 23andme and my results showed I am about 40% Scandinavian and 22% Finnish, with some other European backgrounds. In my traits report it mentioned that I most likely have "fine straight or wavy blonde hair" according to my background, which I found interesting, since my hair is so very curly and frizzy! :)

Lady Neeva
August 16th, 2021, 10:13 PM
My dad has hair that is of medium thickness and my mom has very thin, very fine hair. She told me that after she had the kids her hair thinned out so she's had short hair for the past twenty something years.
I have my dad's hair but his hair started thinning and graying when he was 40 so that does not bode well for me.
My maternal grandmother and her mother both had black hair well into their 70s but there is the rumor that they secretly dyed their hair.

Jools69
August 16th, 2021, 11:50 PM
My father has very dark brown/black straight, fine, thin, short hair. I recall in the 70s his hair was slightly longer (the style of the day :) ). Then in the 80s/90s he combed it back off his face.

My mother has wavy (2C) brown/dark brown, medium, thin, short hair. She always wore it short due to the hot humid Queensland (Australia) summers. She would tell me how curly her hair was when she was a child. I was desperate to have wavy/curly hair like hers, but instead, I had my father’s hair type and my mother’s colouring. It wasn’t until I was in my 30s that my hair started to go wavy.

Glitch
August 17th, 2021, 01:23 AM
Everyone in my family has straight, super thick and incredibly shiny, course hair, and my mother used to have hers to her knees! No idea why my hair is super different, like tons of waves, hair on the thinner and finer side, and extra work needed to keep it just as healthy. My family members don't even do anything special for their hair, and actually treat it rather roughly and yet it still looks splendid! :demon:

Xlena
August 17th, 2021, 02:09 AM
My mom hair is extremely thin, curly, light brown and barely has white hairs (she's almost 60)
My dad hair is thick, straight and it was black, but now is gray
My mom's brothers and sisters are between 40 and 60yo and all of them barely have white hairs so it's a family genetic thing. I hope I carry it xd I'm 26 and my brother is 31 and none of us have any white hair atm. We both share my mom's hair colour.

sapphire-o
August 17th, 2021, 04:05 AM
Hair genes are strong in my family and seem to pass down without much change. From my grandma to my dad, to me and my first son, we all have thick, wavy hair that's very shiny and heavy. I was most amazed that my son's hair is like that, too, considering that I married a white guy with blond hair. :D But my son looks just like my dad somehow.

Bat
August 17th, 2021, 05:09 AM
My mother had 1b/1c hair that was naturally almost black fine but a lot of it, my dad had medium brown ringlets proberly 2c/3a average thickness

I used to have dads brown hair and thickness but it was mums texture

Now it seems as I get older my hairs gotten thicker and coarser and it's beginning to be more curly:/

lapushka
August 17th, 2021, 06:05 AM
My mom has had average to now thin (age 75 now) hair, but she has had thinner hair ever since pregnancy and it did not come back the way it used to after that. Mom has black hair. Fine in texture, 1b/c.

Dad has black hair, 2b/c but keeps it very short now since his career and also now after retirement. In the 60s it was longer up top and that is when his texture shows, also as a young child, when he had this one ginormous curl on the top of his fine, (then) blond hair.

I don't know where I got the iii hair though, my dad has thicker hair too.

My mom has 10 siblings (2 died in infancy), and of the 4 remaining girls and 4 remaining boys, all 4 boys are bald to some degree and 2 girls have the thickest hair you have ever seen (like 5 inches easily) and 2 have hair just like mom. Average to thin.

Grandma had thick hair as well, their mom.

And my dad's dad had the thickest wavy hair you can imagine, until well in his 80s.

I have a picture frame here in the hallway, of the parents of my granddad (on mom's side) and the lady in the picture has the thickest wavy black hair you can imagine.

I can't say I have good genes because it looks a lot like the luck of the draw in my family. :lol: ;)

The iii hair I have because of my aunts, I think. F hair does run in the family, though, both sides.

Funny that one of the aunts with the thick hair, has 2 girls & 1 boy. One of the girls has thin fine hair (just like my mom and her other sister) and one girl is another 5 incher. Yeah. It's kind of like I said: luck of the draw.

Bri-Chan
August 17th, 2021, 06:45 AM
I have the same hair type my mother had when younger. Not straight, not wavy (she uses/used to style it with a flat iron in the last two decades), light brown, fine, ii thickness but more on the thinner side. As far as I've seen, she has always had medium to long hair (SL to BSL). Now 'round APL, and with age it became thinner and straighter. Her mother had this hair, but way darker.
I typed my father's hair as 2c/3a M ii. It was a dark brown when younger. Always had it from 1 inch short to neck area, in the last years he has always the same length: hair long enough to show one ringlet. He took his hair from his mother.
My sisters have more or less my father's hair, but less curly and medium/light brown. One of them is more on the 2b/2c (hard to tell for the way she styles it) and F or F/M. Another one has the same 2b/2c, medium thickness but a lot of hair (maybe iii).
On my dad's side of the family, other than curly hair, there are people with thick and very coarse straight hair (but curly hair is the most common thing). On my mom's side, I have an oncle with curly hair (3a at least), I think medium thickness, and my grandfather has straight hair and a lot of it.
So, there were several options for the genetic in my family.

AmaryllisRed
August 17th, 2021, 07:53 AM
My mom has had her hair short my entire life. And she dyed it for decades so I'm not even sure what her natural color was. She had some wave, but not as much as me, and her hair seems to be neither particularly fine nor coarse.
My dad has always had very fine, fly-away hair, so that's obviously where I got THAT quality. And before it went gray, it was a sort of light-brown-dark-blond that bleached significantly in the sun every summer, which mine does as well.
Both my parents have had thinning as they age, but my dad's dad is 89 and still has the thickest gray hair. I hope I can keep some thickness like he did. I've lost some in the last couple years but I'm hoping that's just temporary.

Dark40
August 17th, 2021, 04:12 PM
I was thinking back to a comment I made about what hair length I'd like to eventually achieve and that got me thinking about hair genetics. I'd love to achieve knee length hair at least once as I knew my mother had that length hair around about when she got married. That kind of suggests to me that I should be able to get there, as long as I have inherited the genes from my Mum.

What were your family hair achievements and do you think that genetically you take after someone?

I know I have my fathers coarseness and my mothers greyness! We have yet to see if I have my mothers ability to grow length!

Tiffers

I think just like you! :D My memories of my dad's side of the family their hair is mostly between wavy to curly and thick. I remember stories of my mom telling me that my aunt on my dad's side of my the family had very long hair. Like, to her butt or to her tailbone. Or, it was a little pass her butt, and my mom also told me of how my dad and my aunt's hair type and texture were the same. Which is both curly and thick. My mom also often told me stories of a second cousin on also on my dad's side of the family that also had hair to her butt as or to a little pass her butt as well! And her hair texture and color was a lot different from the rest of the family. It was more like a soft finer grain of hair. It was thick but it was a lot of it. But til' this day I have never seen neither my aunt's or cousin's extremely long hair. Because, by the time I was born they had chopped it all off. The strangest thing my mom always told me ever since my childhood she has always told me that I could never grow hair as long as my aunt's or cousin's, and also still as of these days she still says the same thing but I don't believe her. Because, the longest my hair ever was during my childhood was 2 inches above my hips. So, I've always figured that if it grew that long that means I can grow extremely long hair like both my aunt and second cousin as well!

But as I got into my upper toddlers year like 8 and 9 years old I've often asked me mom, "Who's hair did I take after?" and her response was, "Well, you took after both me and your daddy," but nowadays she tells me I take after my dad. She is now always telling me that I have that wavy/curly hair like my dad and aunt's hair, and my hair is graying just like my dad's and aunt's as well. I truly believe that when I go gray all over my color or gray will be white like my aunt's. Nowadays she keeps her hair cut short in a pixie style. She hasn't let her hair grow all of the way back down to her butt or tailbone ever since she was a teenager. I have a good feeling that my hair will grow as long as my aunt's and second cousin's hair as well! Or, maybe perhaps even longer.

My mom's hair is thicker and coarser than mine is. The longest it has ever been is BSL.

Laurab
August 17th, 2021, 05:43 PM
My mom has fine, thin-ish curly hair. It's curlier in the front than in the back. Her sister/my aunt has even curlier hair than her, and I think it's a bit thicker? I'm not quite sure. My dad's hair is exactly like mine, fine, thick, and just slightly wavy. He had it long back in the 70's, he went I think four years without cutting it. My brothers hair is thick and curly, he's never had it long and I'm certain he never will. All of us are naturally in the ash brown color range.

Jane99
August 17th, 2021, 07:13 PM
Mom’s hair was always short, she used to get it permed. In old pictures from her youth it looked like maybe there was some wave to it. She had thicker hair than my dad, who also kept his hair short. Both my grandmothers always kept short hair. I think I’ve seen pictures of maybe SL hair on my maternal grandmother, it looked wavy. Her hair was dark. Mom’s hair was kindof auburn. Dad’s hair was blonde. Paternal grandmother had wavy hair in some pictures, short. I could not tell you the color from the old b&w photos. Paternal grandfather I believe had thinner blonde hair. Maternal grandfather may have had darker thicker hair but he had been balding for decades before he passed away. I have one cousin with TBL hair. Her hair is thicker than mine. One half sister on mom’s side has grown her thick red maybe 2C/3a hair to at least hip. One paternal half sister has thin wavy maybe 2b hair light blonde hair, I believe she has grown to around waist. I think my other maternal sister may have had longer dark brown hair when she was younger before she had kids but that was 26 years ago when my nephew was born. Her hair is in the 1’s. I think I have mom’s hair thickness. Naturally dirty blonde. More coarse than fine hair. 1c-ish texture. Genetics is weird. I couldn’t imagine keeping my hair short and trying to style it with the upkeep of a curly perm. I’m way too lazy/low maintenance for all that

JasminxCat
August 18th, 2021, 03:00 AM
Mom has chestnut brown hair with 3a ringlets. Dad has dark brown 1a pin straight hair type. I have a hair color mixed between both sides, and 1b hair type (I think) if that considers mostly straight but with a slight wave to it

Ashtaroth
August 18th, 2021, 05:23 AM
All women in my family have the same hair more or less - straight (maybe ever so slight wave that is mostly just cowlicks), midbrown, fine, and lots of it. My Dad has that too, but dark brown verging on black - in his 70s and still gets it thinned.

I made my kiddo with someone with the exact same kind of hair on his maternal side so my kid seems to be carrying these hair genes into the next generation.

Begemot
August 21st, 2021, 02:06 AM
Both of my parents have wavy/curly textures but somehow my hair has always been straight, texture nor color changed as a kid and then as teenager. Mom has coarse and father has fine hair. Mine has been fine/medium but the past couple of years I have been getting coarser hairs in the mix. Both my parents had light brown hair but mom is now darker brown and got dark gray streaks. Father went fully white in his fifties. My hair is light brown too, warmer tone though, and I have been growing white hairs here and there for some years now (mom is very worried, she thinks it's too soon since I'm in my twenties still haha). Maybe I'll get my dream hair eventually as I grow older: wavy and all white :D

sweetlyfallen
August 22nd, 2021, 05:23 PM
My moms side has always kept fairly short hair ( I am only now getting my mom onto the long hair train) My aunt (moms sister) is a hairstylist so we always had a person around to give big chops. My moms hair is quite thick but her moms is fairly thin (grandma basically refuses to grow it past more than 1/2" long, I have never seen her with any length in my life). On my dads side my grandma once had hippie length blond hair, thick hair runs on that side as well but not as noticeable. Once I was born her hair was usually around shoulder length and she played with hair dye a lot. No one was committed to the long hair journey haha.

AmeerahKhanNot
August 22nd, 2021, 05:48 PM
My mom has very curly shoulder length hair (like 3b) my dad is bald now but he had long pin straight hair in his youth from the photos i've seen. Mine is wavy as a result I guess.

lithostoic
August 22nd, 2021, 10:05 PM
Both my parents seem to have more texture in their hair than me lol. My dad is 2b/c but he keeps it short so it looks straight. My mom is 2c/3a. Her hair used to look like mine and my hair has gotten steadily more textured with age, so I suspect it'll be wavier in time.

mermaid lullaby
August 24th, 2021, 02:26 AM
My mom used to have medium brown hair but now it's grayish with brown mixed in, her's is medium texture and straight.
My Dad used to have dark brown and fine hair but now he's mostly bold with grey hair. His hair was straight too.

I have my Dads hair color, but my mom's thick hair. My coarse hair is in my Grandparents on both sides.

TatsuOni
August 24th, 2021, 12:13 PM
My father had black hair that started going grey in his twenties. It's maybe 95% grey now (he's 60 now). He's always kept it short, but I think that it's M in strand thickness.

My mother has light brown hair that turns blond in the sun. It use to be F but is now M and probably medium thickness. She keeps it around hip length. After that it annoys her and gets full of split ends, because she's always wearing it down. She says that she has some grey hairs but we havent seent them :p

My maternal great grandmother used to have hair somewhere between classic and knee that she always wore up. (I've been told stories about her hair from my mother and grandmother.)

I have a colour similar to my mothers. It used to be F but's now M with a few coarse hairs. And I think that my mother and I have around the same thickness.

zeroplex
August 24th, 2021, 01:24 PM
My dad had blonde hair as a child and jet black as an adult. It was so coarse it would grow straight up. His sister, my aunt has blonde 3c curls.
My mom has always keept her hair at shoulder length and dyed it brown. I think it was originally more strawberry blonde. Wavy. She recently learned about the curly girl method and has stopped covering the gray and is growing it out

I have a mix of the above. coarse, grows straight up, curly and strawberry blonde

WinterMayhem
August 24th, 2021, 05:28 PM
My dad has fine, fine hair with no body to it at all. He kind of has hair like a Muppet, moving with the slightest breeze. It used to be brown.

My mom had dark brown, almost black hair, that was super curly, but it was frizzy and fine as all get-out. It was also the consistency of cotton candy.

Inn glad I didn't get *their* hair.

Pouncequick
August 24th, 2021, 06:25 PM
My parents are in their mid fifties and both have fine hair. Mom is baby fine and thin with straight hair that was a deep reddish brown (now greyish white). Dad is fine and very thick with very dark brown hair (near black, hardly any greys, little receding). Both have straight to wavy hair. My brother has medium hair that is curly in texture and is a warm mid-brown color. His hair is probably average to thick and he didn't seem to get it from either of our parents. My hair is baby fine like my mom's but I have more of it. The color is lighter than both of my parents, but nearly identical to my paternal grandmother's. The only difference is I inherited some reddish highlights from my mom and I seem to be going grey a little on the young side compared to my dad's family. I'm not yet thirty but I have a nice, thick grey streak in my part. My mom's family went mostly grey by 30-40, while most of my dad's family slowly got there in their 60's and 70's (if they still had hair). No one in my family has hair longer than tailbone even though I'm sure many of them could. There are many stylists in my family so I have a lot more relatives with interesting styles and dyes. Even the kids. My long, virgin hair is an anomaly but at least most of them find it interesting.

Allorapisma
August 26th, 2021, 10:24 PM
No one from both sides of my family has wavy and fine hair except my mother. Everyone else has strong coarse straight hair.
I think that straight coarse hair would suit me much better, however I inherited wavy and fine hair from my mother. Genetics is interesting ;)

zhivago
August 29th, 2021, 06:42 AM
I got my mother's side's hair type and the colour from my dad's. My mother is Asian so from her side the family has very smooth/strong/straight hair and it's either black or very dark brown and grows very fast. My dad's side is mostly made up of redheads and they have a lot of variety in hair type, but most have thick curls.

Handel'sWig
August 29th, 2021, 07:14 AM
Dad: Blondish when he was young, now dark brown like mine. His hair is too short and there’s too little of it (he’s more than halfway bald now) to tell his hair type and I doubt he ever cared enough.

Mom:Medium, thick-ish. Straight , maybe 1b/1c. It was a medium-brown color with tinges of red when she was young, darkened slightly over the years and is now salt-and-pepper. As long as I’ve been alive she’s had the same neck-length bob.

Brother: Mentioning him because it’s interesting. My younger brother has my exact hair type. Fine/ Medium, thick, 2A/2B. He started out bright blonde as a child, but his hair has darkened until now (he’s 16) it’s light brown with maybe a little tint of blonde remaining. He has a typical men’s cut with “more on top”.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2021, 02:23 AM
I got my mother's side's hair type and the colour from my dad's. My mother is Asian so from her side the family has very smooth/strong/straight hair and it's either black or very dark brown and grows very fast. My dad's side is mostly made up of redheads and they have a lot of variety in hair type, but most have thick curls.

My gosh what if you had inherited that curly hair. Sorry, I love curls. :D
That said, true all smooth, flat, 1a hair is quite rare!

Natalia_A00
September 6th, 2021, 06:16 PM
Mother, and maternal grandmother: Super thick, coarse and gorgeous wavy hair. They had black/dark brown hair in that side of my family.
Father, my dad's family: Fragile and very thin hair, super oily.

Me: Thanks to my mom I have beautiful hair I think. However back in the day her hair was thicker than mine, but I'm not complaining. Unfortunately my hair is as oily as my dad's. It's a pity because my mother could go about a week without washing her hair but I have to wash mine every other day or more.

cutie-pie
January 14th, 2022, 03:06 PM
My hair is a mixer. It grows fast like my dad's and it's wavy like my mum's

claudiarae
January 14th, 2022, 03:16 PM
Mom: super fine, blonde that turned to ashy brown, stick straight. Very bleach and heat damaged, always cut short.
Dad: medium thickness, brown-black and curly.

My mom always took care of my hair like her own; lots of combing, washing daily, always encouraging me to have it cut short so I could have more volume. Turns out I have a little bit of wave from my dad so the combing and frequent washing just causes dryness and frizz. Slowly learning to work with my own hair type and not my mom's!

Dark40
January 14th, 2022, 04:31 PM
My hair is between fine/thick like my dad's, and the texture is also between wavy/curly as well. So, it my aunt's hair my dad's sister. I took hair after my father's side of the family. Both my aunt(his siter) and his first cousin had hair to a little passed their butts. I guess you can say it was to the thighs. Or, to mid thigh lengt. And, they were the only 2 people I knew that had hair that long. I'm hoping someday soon I achieve that length!

zhivago
January 19th, 2022, 11:55 AM
None of my family on either side have long hair. I think the longest is around the neck, which is roughly the length at which i was forced to maintain when I was a child. My mother has very straight and fine black hair, like her entire family, and my father has wavy black hair, unlike the rest of his family who are varying degrees of ginger. I have straight auburn hair.

Solovey
January 19th, 2022, 12:31 PM
My dad had light blonde that turned dark brown, His texture is extremely curly verging on kinky-curly, Rough/Coarse and very, very thick (He said when he tried to grow it out it grew more out than down ;))

My mom has hair almost exactly like me. Lightly wavy, dark blonde/light brown, thick. The interesting thing is she has a patch of grey/white hair she's had since she was a teenager for some reason

My sister also has hair very similar to mine and my moms, but hers leans more toward ashy blonde.

My grandma, and aunts on my moms side have had long to very long hair. At some point my aunt had something between thigh to knee blunt cut can't remember exactly but it was well past classic. My grandma had beautiful salt and pepper 2b/2c hair down to her waist or so before she cut it because of health issues but I always loved it.

MusicalSpoons
January 19th, 2022, 01:15 PM
Wow this turned out long! tl;dr: most of my family have average hair for English people. Mum has weak curls that not all on her side share, and my Dad and his twin have strong curls but again not all on that side. All seem to be average thickness, maybe tend towards finer strands on my Mum's side (F/M, not *very* fine) and medium on my Dad's side.

Dad: curly hair, medium strands maybe. Bald on top. Was blonde as a child (don't know if curly back then though) but fairly dark brown as an adult turned to grey then white.

Dad's parents: I don't really know. Both had full heads of white hair when I knew them, a few inches long - so any texture by then not as curly as my Dad. Any photos of my Nan when younger, I don't know if any texture was natural or styled.

Dad's siblings: his twin has identical hair. Two brothers, not balding, grey/white. Kept too short to show any texture even if they had curls. One sister, keeps her hair similarly short as my grandparents and no evident curls. Was dark brown now grey/white.

Mum: was dark blonde as a child, describes her hair then as 'stringy'. Medium I guess? As an adult, darkened to a warm brown, no idea of texture because she permed it for some years and then when she stopped perming it, blow-dried it fairly straight. Now grey/white, with a mix of medium underneath and fine on top. I don't know how long it was when it was permed, longer than a bob but I can't remember exactly how long it appeared so can't extrapolate how long it might have been stretched out. When she stopped perming, then kept it in a bob for some years and then cut shorter after that. Since the pandemic she's let it grow - out of necessity at first, but then discovered curls so continued to let it grow. It's now maybe APL or a bit longer. The curls are ringlets at the end, plus around the back hairline and her ears.

Mum's parents: father was bald on top, brown hair. Died when I was young and for various reasons we don't really look at photos of him so I don't know more than that. My Grandma I recall having short brown hair when I was younger (pixie short) but has let it grow longer, ~CBL/APL in the past years. Mostly white. No discernible texture but I think she blow-dries it, and definitely brushes it out. I think it's on the finer side of medium.

Mum's siblings: middle sister has always had hair similar to Mum's, and they look very similar. When Mum first had her shortest haircut I did a double-take, even though this aunt lives nowhere near us! Younger sister has blonde hair, turning white. I guess medium, maybe on the finer side. Don't know about texture because she has always washed her hair every night and put it into small plaits to dry with braidwaves. No obvious curls in her fringe though, so I would guess she couldn't possibly have anything more than waves. She's always had it long (~waist or so) but in the past few years she's gradually cut it shorter so the last time we saw her it was ~APL.

This aunt has had the longest hair out of all my close relatives, used to be about waist length or maybe a bit more - I don't remember actively wanting to emulate her, but maybe she did have an influence on me, at least that long hair was an option, or perhaps a stronger influence than that because we did have similar hair colours at the time. I don't know. The only other family member with long hair as an adult is an aunt by marriage, with dark hair (now greying) that she wears in a plaited ponytail. I think it has a curl on the end but it's been a very long time since we last saw her so I can't be certain.

My siblings: brother was dark blonde when young, turned auburn. Fine hair, thinning on top now in his twenties. He has the beginnings of curls when it grows out a bit (never gone past bob length and I can't think of how to describe it. Just … overgrown. He keeps it a few inches long to start with because any shorter and his cowlicks really stand out). My sister had light blonde hair, now darker blonde naturally (but dyes it Western she feels like it) and highlights in the sun very easily. She always had ringlets at the end and around her hairline, but disliked them so spent a lot of her childhood straightening it. Now as an adult it dries wavy (never done a proper typing but I'd hazard a guess at maybe ~2b) with the hairline ringlets still. She has had it moderately long, down to MBL, but tends to keep it between CBL and APL more now. I know she has average thickness.

Cousins: on Mum's side, one with light/medium brown hair with no noticeable texture and one girl whose hair is now dark and curly. On my Dad's side, a fair few cousins but I don't know who dyes or straightens or what. A couple keep their hair long enough to ponytail (APL~BSL) and I know one of those has always had dark hair (and her sister had blonde hair as a child, turning darker with age) but beyond that I don't know anything for sure. None of the women seem to have especially thick hair, no idea about the men.

Me: 2a dark blonde (although indoors it can tend to look brown; I still call myself blonde though because my lengths are and in sunlight it all looks lighter and kinda sandy) F/M, ii. My waves fall out quite quickly on the whole, so I guess I probably take more after my Mum's side in that respect. Length-wise, once my hair was longer than my youngest aunt's in my teens, myself and my other aunt (with the plaited ponytail) had roughly joint longest in the family. Since finding LHC and getting beyond TBL mine's definitely been the longest. Now at ankle length, it turns out we definitely did have some long hair genes in there somewhere :lol:

AllyByrd
January 24th, 2022, 01:25 PM
My mom has very fine, thin, brown hair.
My dad has thick dark brown hair.
I am in between, with medium thickness hair. Despite them both having dark brown hair, mine is strawberry blonde! Go figure.
You can see a red hair gene popping up on my mom's side, though, so I think I got that gene from her.

No one in my immediate or extended family has long hair (nothing past MBL or so, I think), so I was curious if I could grow it long. Apparently, I can!

BuddhaBelle
January 26th, 2022, 03:34 AM
I think I have my dads hair - though he's been bald as long as I can remember - just because we have the exact same colour. My mom's hair is thick and straight, mine has never been as thick as hers! No one else in my family I think I have the same hair type to, apart from colourings of course.

summertimes
January 26th, 2022, 05:21 AM
My dad had a lot of thick hair - and so do I. He always kept it shaved down, but he had lots and lots of photographs of back in the 70s where he had a massive, massive afro. I think my mother always had fairly thin hair. It was always flat-ironed straight and in a ponytail so, I have less memories of it, honestly.

deannabanana
January 27th, 2022, 11:28 PM
My mom's hair was light brown, thick in volume and probably 2b type. It's still very thick although she's older now and has mostly grey hair that she dyes. My dad's hair was dark brown, fine and seemed thin in volume but probably 3a in type. My siblings seem to have quite curly hair, more than me, but thinner in volume. I seemed to inherit my mom's thick but loose waves as opposed to my dad's curly fine hair

Shol'va
January 30th, 2022, 11:20 PM
My mom has straight, medium brown hair, medium thickness, high density. My dad has wavy, medium/dark blonde/ginger hair, fine thickness, medium density. Mine is wavy, medium brown (but lighter than my mom's), fine/medium thickness, high density.

tseh
January 31st, 2022, 02:36 AM
My father has shortish dark curly hair , medium thickness and my mother's hair is fine thikcness, similar color to mine (with grey). My brother has short medium blonde hair so I am the only long hair in my family. I've been told that my great-grandmother from fathers side had long thick thair.

onnolee
January 31st, 2022, 07:14 AM
My mother has indigenous hair - it's incredibly thick, coarse, and textured, and feels and looks like relaxed 4c hair. It has a very, very slight wave to it. She keeps it around SL because it's just too much to handle if it's long. My father's is very soft and maybe medium thickness? Mine is ridiculously thick and medium, and currently a bit past BSL. All of us have very dark hair, but my mother's is the darkest - not quite black, but close.