PDA

View Full Version : I finished my small twists

mwedzi
October 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Finally! I did them over the course of two days. It took so long because my hair was so tangled and matted in parts. I hadn't had time to do a thorough detangling for a while trying to get my dissertation draft in. I still detangled weekly with my weekly wash, 2 hours each time, but I guess that wasn't enough. It was awful! :justy: Anyway, they are done now. :cheese:
eta: twist out is in post 67 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=823835&postcount=67)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/twistsoct09.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/twistsoct09_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/Photo34_2.jpg

Silver & Gold
October 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Well done! I can't imagine the patience that it takes to accomplish this but it looks lovely.

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Those look so lovely!! It must be refreshing to have all your hair detangled and freshly styled. :)

Jessikinz
October 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Wow awesome job! They look really good.

mugglemomof3
October 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
oh - they are so pretty! Well done you. I would never ever have enough patience.

may1em
October 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM
They look great! Are twists essentially a bunch of tiny little rope braids? That would take forever.

linda g
October 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM
:thumbsup: Looks great!

teela1978
October 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Looks amazing!!!! Your hair is getting really long :)

ETA: dissertation draft in??? congrats!!!!

bgarrison
October 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'm so jealous!! They look really cute on you. :)

Roseate
October 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Looks great! And congrats on the draft!!!

FallenAngel
October 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I am so utterly jealous....

sherigayle
October 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
That looks really good. Great job.

ladylibra
October 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Very nice - I love 'em! :D

spidermom
October 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm impressed by both accomplishments.

renarok
October 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
absolutely beautiful

Bene
October 13th, 2009, 01:32 PM
OH WOW! Just gorgeous! 2 days is certainly worth an outcome like that :)

Did you have any help for the back? I can't imagine doing that on my own.

GlennaGirl
October 13th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Wow. You look absolutely beautiful.

InTheCity
October 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Awesome job! That style looks great with your face :)

Lemur_Catta
October 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The style is fantastic, and it suits you very well! I would never have the patience to do anything like that :D

David's Bride
October 13th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Your hair looks amazing. Is there a way of doing something similar with my hair type? I'm a 1c or 2a. Congratulations!!!

pepperminttea
October 13th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Goodness, I can well imagine that must've taken forever - but it has paid off, looks wonderful!

Armelle
October 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
So pretty! And good luck on the dissertation! :D

AprilElf
October 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Beautiful mwedzi! :)
How long do you leave the twists in for?

Tangerine
October 13th, 2009, 02:26 PM
That looks fantastic! :flower:

lora410
October 13th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I have always loved the twirls and braids. I wish I looked half as good as you in stuff like that :)

mwedzi
October 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks everyone!

They look great! Are twists essentially a bunch of tiny little rope braids? That would take forever.

Yep. Over on the other side(LCHF) we call braids (almost) anything with 3+ sections "braids", though we rarely do more than 3 sections Two sections are called "twists" and one section is a "coil".

mwedzi
October 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Beautiful mwedzi! :)
How long do you leave the twists in for?
Thanks. I will leave the twists themselves in for 1 week. Then I will do my weekly wash with the twists in. Then will let them dry and undo them and wear the twist out for a week. If I want I can retwist, wash again, and finger detangle and redo them. That way it's easier and much faster than having to part and section each bit from scratch.

So pretty! And good luck on the dissertation! :D

Thank you. I'm off to the library for the evening right now!

mbaker223
October 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Oh I love your texture! And those twists look lovely and they actually fall to frame your face, wonderful style on you!

mwedzi
October 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Your hair looks amazing. Is there a way of doing something similar with my hair type? I'm a 1c or 2a. Congratulations!!!

Thanks! When you braid or coil, does it unravel unless you put something on the ends. If that's the case, you might try some strong holding product on the end. Or rubber bands. Or maybe rollers on the end comparable to the thickness of the twist will give it enough curl to not unravel.

OH WOW! Just gorgeous! 2 days is certainly worth an outcome like that :)

Did you have any help for the back? I can't imagine doing that on my own.

Thank you. No, no help. I just go by feel. It's actually better for me since I'm so tender-headed and my hair was so tangled, I'm sure anyone else doing it would have been have been very painful. :(

Thanks again, everyone! Nice to "see" you again, LadyLibra. Thanks for the help with the car thing! I just dropped it off the next day and forgot about it. ;)

BlndeInDisguise
October 13th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Ditto this! ^^

Very pretty! :)

Altocumulus
October 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Beautiful! And congrats on the dissertation draft!

Speckla
October 13th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Very beautiful.

Candide
October 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Pretty! I like it.

Garnet66
October 13th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Gosh, your twists are so pretty. I really like them.

Addy
October 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM
That is so cool! You look awesome! :cool:

rchorr
October 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Quite lovely! Those look like a LOT of work! :)

RCHORR'

masterofmidgets
October 13th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Wow, those look absolutely amazing!

pradabacon
October 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Me, tooooooo!

Thanks! When you braid or coil, does it unravel unless you put something on the ends. If that's the case, you might try some strong holding product on the end. Or rubber bands. Or maybe rollers on the end comparable to the thickness of the twist will give it enough curl to not unravel.

I'm so gonna try this someday.

They look fantastic, Mwedzi! :cheese:

Sister13
October 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Super-nice! Now I wanna do some to my hair.

adiapalic
October 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Wow! That looks so gorgeous. Look at that shine! :flower:

pineapple pea
October 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ooh, those are so pretty!

camirra555
October 13th, 2009, 09:52 PM
So nice! I wish I had the patience and skill for that

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I wish my hair were thicker! I did lots of braids like your small twists but they were all so skinny. :p

GoddesJourney
October 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Wow! You are beautiful and you look great with your hair like that.

Moldilocks
October 13th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Your twists look great!

Pegasus Marsters
October 14th, 2009, 03:04 AM
That looks awesome. I wish I had that kind of patience. (and the hair type to allow this.)

Redheaded Raven
October 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM
WOW it looks amazing!!!!:D

winter_star
October 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Oh Wow! Your hair looks awesome. You must be incredibly patient though.

Chrissy
October 14th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Your hair looks beautiful. I love that style. Very pretty. Do you have to wear anything on your head at night to keep them from getting fuzzy? I know my son who is mixed wore a do rag at night when he had braids. I know this is different from braids but I was just curious.

mwedzi
October 14th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks again, everyone! :blushing: I'm currently trying to find a way to keep them moisturized or lubricated. But I can't add water or anything too watery as they want to tighten up and tangle. I think I'm going to have to stick to oil or my shea mixture (Oyin Whipped Pudding)

Wow! That looks so gorgeous. Look at that shine! :flower:

Thank you. As I was detangling I would spray each section with water with some coconut oil in it. Must be the oil.

So nice! I wish I had the patience and skill for that

Thank you. I promise it is really easy. Just grab two sections and twist them tightly around each other.

I wish my hair were thicker! I did lots of braids like your small twists but they were all so skinny. :p

I bet your braids were lovely. Also, braids always come out skinnier than twists. Braids take me 3 times as long to put in, and about 8 times as long to take out, and they look skinny! That's why I've only tried them twice.
http://public.fotki.com/mwedzi/2007-hair-1/braidsfront.html

Your hair looks beautiful. I love that style. Very pretty. Do you have to wear anything on your head at night to keep them from getting fuzzy? I know my son who is mixed wore a do rag at night when he had braids. I know this is different from braids but I was just curious.

Thank you. I don't know if I can really keep them from getting fuzzy. They kinda start out as fuzzy. But I do cover them at night with a silk scarf. I try to do this every night anyway, but I'm often not quite that diligent. Anyway, I'm not going to keep them in as twists for more than 1 week. Then I'll wash, let them dry, and wear the twist out for a week. When it's a twist out, the frizz doesn't matter and actually looks better than no frizz to me.

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
They look awesome!! I can't even imagine how long that would take me. :eek: But you did a great job! Enjoy 'em!! :D

nmarie33
October 14th, 2009, 11:09 AM
mwedzi, that looks super cute. Please post photos when you finally take the twists out, I want to see what it looks like afterward!

Gumball
October 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Those came out great!

loyaboya
October 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
:bowtome:

Love 'em! Did you use any product other than the coconut oil and water spritz? My twists tend to get pretty frizzy too and I just kinda ignore it (or do updos) because I haven't found a way around it. BTW- you have some great twist-updos on youtube! Really pretty.

ladylibra
October 15th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Nice to "see" you again, LadyLibra. Thanks for the help with the car thing! I just dropped it off the next day and forgot about it. ;)

Ah yes, what a weekend! :laugh: I certainly hope next time we get together, I will be less tired/stressed out... and maybe no more cars will be scraped! ;)

mwedzi
October 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
mwedzi, that looks super cute. Please post photos when you finally take the twists out, I want to see what it looks like afterward!

Thank you. I will be sure to take pictures. I'll probably take them out Wednesday.

:bowtome:

Love 'em! Did you use any product other than the coconut oil and water spritz? My twists tend to get pretty frizzy too and I just kinda ignore it (or do updos) because I haven't found a way around it. BTW- you have some great twist-updos on youtube! Really pretty.

Thanks. While I was doing them, no, I didn't put anything else on them. But I've put some Oyin Whipped Pudding (shea based) on it since then, and I put oil on at least the ends every other day. You might try twisting with something heavier, like shea.

Spring
October 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM
beautiful twists mwedzi!

MAO
October 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Nice!! I don't think I could have that type of patience.....

longhairedfairy
October 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Neat! It looks really good!

Dez
October 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I really like them! looks really good

cuddledumplin
October 16th, 2009, 04:14 PM
They look great! They're really funky and cute.

Gladtobemom
October 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Looks pretty, very flattering too.

My roomate in college had long twisties or braids. Her mom would come to visit and spend hours combing out her hair, washing it well, then gently detangling, conditioning, and re-doing it. It took a LOOONG time.

Her mom used to make a coconut/she mix for Kay to use too. It was 3 parts refined shea butter, 2 parts coconut oil (fracionated) and 1 part mix of cassia goop (strained goop made from cassia and chamomile tea), rosemary oil, and panthenol.

Her mom was a pro, cosmetologist that specialized in braiding and hair problems.

The reason I bring it up is that when she lightly oiled her hair, her breakage was almost nothing. Same for me, in fact.

This is my hair without rolling on big rollers or bun waves, after a coconut milk wash with just a little oil mix. Without it, my hair is wider than my shoulders, just a big pouf.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/08-07-29LiteCoconutMilk.jpg

amyapple329
October 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I love it. Looks great!

Little_Bird
October 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I agree, they look wonderfull on you! Great job! And good luck with your dissertation... I'll be doing mine next year... (panic!!)...

You look very beautyfull :flower:

Demetrue
October 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Adorable!!!

Talma
October 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I love your twists! If you have trouble detangling you may want to try detangling with tond of conditioner in your hair. It creates alot of slip and it's faster and less damaging on your hair. I've tried this method since February and I've had alot less breakage because of it: http://tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Lol I should get paid for how much I promote her website. But my hair would still be frizzy and damaged if it weren't for her. Oh yeah, and I'd be sporting a boxy fro due to a bad haircut.

mwedzi
October 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks, everyone. Here are pics of the twist out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/IMG_3129_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/IMG_3131_2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/mwedzi/hair%20-%20part%202/IMG_3133_2.jpg

mwedzi
October 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Looks pretty, very flattering too.

My roomate in college had long twisties or braids. Her mom would come to visit and spend hours combing out her hair, washing it well, then gently detangling, conditioning, and re-doing it. It took a LOOONG time.

Her mom used to make a coconut/she mix for Kay to use too. It was 3 parts refined shea butter, 2 parts coconut oil (fracionated) and 1 part mix of cassia goop (strained goop made from cassia and chamomile tea), rosemary oil, and panthenol.

Her mom was a pro, cosmetologist that specialized in braiding and hair problems.

The reason I bring it up is that when she lightly oiled her hair, her breakage was almost nothing. Same for me, in fact.

This is my hair without rolling on big rollers or bun waves, after a coconut milk wash with just a little oil mix. Without it, my hair is wider than my shoulders, just a big pouf.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i175/Gladtobemom/08-07-29LiteCoconutMilk.jpg

Wow, that's like the best care I've ever heard of a mother giving to an adult daughter. Nice mix.

I love your twists! If you have trouble detangling you may want to try detangling with tond of conditioner in your hair. It creates alot of slip and it's faster and less damaging on your hair. I've tried this method since February and I've had alot less breakage because of it: http://tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Lol I should get paid for how much I promote her website. But my hair would still be frizzy and damaged if it weren't for her. Oh yeah, and I'd be sporting a boxy fro due to a bad haircut.

I know you love that site! I'm glad it works for you, it seems to have helped a lot of people. And it's obviously working for her; her hair is gorgeous! I can't say this method of detangling works for me, though. And the more conditioner, the more sticky my hair gets. A little non-cone conditioner and oil is the best for me. And oiling regularly helps cut down the detangling.

Ven
October 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Those look really good! Great job!

~Ven

Nyghtingale
October 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
That looks so pretty on you. Just lovely!

truepeacenik
October 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
BEAUTIFUL!
nice twists, too! :)
seriously, they look fabulous.

yellowchariot
October 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
WOW! that looks really amazing! Very cool indeed! :thumbsup: