PDA

View Full Version : Can it really be a year?! (picture heavy)

Isa-belle
October 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Well, I cannot believe I have been here for a whole year!
Although, looking back, there is a lot to treasure from all I gleaned on LHC.

When I joined LHC, I had been a member on a French long hair forum for about 6 months, and had already switched to no-cones, SLS-free shampoo and henna: this means my time of TLC doesn't coincide with my arrival here, and some rather big changes had already been happening by then. (my hair suffered several perms and the last one, two years ago, caused so much damage that chunks of my hair basically fell out. By last October, TLC and henna were already beginning to do their work).

Here is my hair just before I started taking care of it, in Feb. 2008:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4079&pictureid=52514http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4079&pictureid=52514
My hair had been permed 3 times in 3 years. It was 67 cm = 26" (BSL). The perm had discoloured my hair - it is naturally darker and richer in colour than this.

Here is how my hair looked like exactly a year ago, when I joined LHC:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4079&pictureid=52515
It was 81 cm (almost 32") long.

I had a growth spurt last Autumn, but not all my hair grew at the same rate, and I was hating my straggly ends. This is a picture from late January, when I decided to trim obsessively, just so you can compare the state of my ends to today. My hair was only one inch shorter than it is now.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4079&pictureid=52516
My hair was 34" (87cm) then. I decided to trim back to 85 cm (33.5") and trim all that grew out monthly for a while to thicken my hemline.

Last May, after a final 2-inch cut, I was back to last October's length (81cm = almost 32").
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4079&pictureid=52517

I haven't trimmed since May and my hair has grown pretty well over the summer. I have vowed not to cut until Christmas.
Here are pictures taken yesterday - my hair was a bit fluffy as it had just been washed:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4079&pictureid=52521
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4079&pictureid=52519
Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/e-zabelle/cheveux/09-10-12lhc_anniversary3half.jpg) is a larger picture of the second one, as it doesn't look great in this smaller format). I was in full, strong, Mediterranean sunlight, and the larger picture shows the henna shades better.

My hair was just shy of 32" (81 cm) a year ago. It is now 35.5" (91 cm). Definitely not the best year growth-wise, but I just couldn't stand my straggly ends anymore. Let's say this year was more about quality than quantity.

My current goals? Keep using natural stuff, keep making most of my stuff; and grow my hair to classic length. Get a heat cap, and make a sleep cap. And enlarge my hairtoy collection, of course!

Here is what I'm thankful for after this year on LHC... LHC has brought me loads that I would never have found otherwise.

- Henna. I'd been hennaing for a few months before I joined, but the art of henna took up a whole new dimension when I read the invaluable articles and threads here. I have learned so much!

- SMT. This is one of the earliest things I experimented with when arriving here, and it is still my favourite. Thank you Snowymoon!

- all the information about pH, acidic rinses, etc. I'd never had any idea about all this before and wow! It made so much sense, and really, really helped diagnosing and taking care of problems.

- Updos! I've always loved experimenting with updos, and was so excited to get to learn many new ones through the fantastic tutorials here. Thanks everyone for sharing so generously.

- In the wake of the former, wearing my hair up more often to prevent damage. I did a "wear your hair up for xxx days" challenge – mine was 100 days and coincided with winter. It really helped preserving my hair during the cold months. I still wear my hair up most of the time.

- Hairtoys :lol: Man, have you guys enabled me... :P I now own 6 Ficcares, a few Flexis, and 2 pairs of Barefoot Maiden sticks (a 3rd being on its way to my mailbox as I type...). This may make you laugh, but I am truly grateful for all the enabling. I love putting together elegant outfits, and these really add the final touch.

- a whole different perspective on what makes the beauty of hair. The open-mindedness here is amazing. I'd never heard of fairytale endings before landing here, let alone imagined some people actually embraced them. This helped me relativize my own frustration at catching up on layers and a U-cut. I've learned that uneven ends could be considered attractive. This is why I've decided to stop trimming until December, even though my ends could be a bit more even.

- The inspiration... the amount of gorgeous hair here, and the variety – and the extremes one can find here, that, again, give a lesson in open-mindedness.
I love the fact we each have a personal page, and albums. I've always seen this as a wonderful way for each member to stress and embrace his/her personal beauty (not just talking about hair or appearances here ;) ).

- Lastly... This has been said oftentimes, and for a reason. The spirit here is unlike anywhere else. The kindness, the tolerance... The patience, the sharing.

Without a doubt, this year has been the most difficult and challenging in my life (which is why I simply stopped posting for a while around spring), and this community played no small part in indirectly helping me cope. I'm sure you would have helped me in a more direct manner, had I had the courage to post more personal matter on the Friendship board.

Enough blabbering... On to the essentials.
Thanks everyone for the laughs, your friendliness, your advice and inspiration; and thanks to the mods for ensuring this place stays as special as it is.

MirandaWelch
October 13th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Congratulations!! I think you've had fabulous growth and your hair is beautiful.

As a newbie I really appreciate you explaining what you think have been the best benefit over the year, so thank you! :flower:

Elyce
October 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM
What a nice recap to your first year here. Looks like you've put all that new knowledge to good use! Lovely pics, your trimming was just right.

On to another great year at LHC :)

GlassEyes
October 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
o-o

I could've SWORN you've been here longer than me. o______O;;

Anyway, I'm glad you're here. We don't speak much, but I've always found you to be quite lovely. :) And your hair looks lovely.

And if you think -that's- enabling, you should see my hair-toy chest. :rolleyes: You've a stronger will than I do. xD; :p

clairenewcastle
October 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
The changes in your hair between the first and last photos are incredible - you'd amazing hair to start with but it has just gone from strength to strength!! You're a wondeful example on what can be achieved on LHC.
I do hope and pray that next year will be a much better one for you in your personal life.
Gentle hug.

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Your hair is SO lovely! That length and your color look superb on you!

Jason
October 13th, 2009, 11:32 AM
That large photo especially shows your hair's beauty. Your progress is inspirational. Best wishes on your future goals.

Calista
October 13th, 2009, 11:43 AM
You´ve only been here a year? I cannot believe it! :bigeyes:

Beautiful hair, beautiful rest of you. :thumbsup:

KarpatiiSiv
October 13th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Congratulations! Your hair is beautiful and the recap of your journey was really interesting.http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/flowerysmile.gif (http://www.millan.net)

patience
October 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! Amazing progress.

rags
October 13th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Congratulations! Your hair is absolutely stunning! Such a difference between the first and last photos. Beautiful!

spidermom
October 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Wow - what a difference a year makes.

Heidi_234
October 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Even though I thought your hair look great in this pic (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4079&pictureid=52516), it just grows and becomes more and more stunning. Congrats on your first LHC anniversary :flowers:

Tangerine
October 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I really love your hair, you are definitely an inspiration in many ways. I really enjoyed reading your lovely recap of your hair journey and the things you have gained from this community. Happy anniversary Isa-belle! :blossom:

Spring
October 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Beautiful progress Isa-Belle!

aahavaa
October 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Congratulations!! What a lot of beautiful growth!! Thank you for sharing your inspiring hair journey.

Tressie
October 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Congratualtions! Your pictures are very inspirational and you have had great growth, even with the trims.

Your hair is looking really healthy and very lovely and you have a lovely figure to go with it! (o:

friskybiznus
October 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Great post! Your hair rocks! Thanks for sharing!!

little_acorn
October 13th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Wow what an amazing year :D and your hair is beautiful :D

georgia_peach
October 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Your hair is so beautiful. You've had quite a transformation. Congratulations!!

bigmama8
October 13th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Your hair is awesome! It's amazing how much growth you've had in one year considering how much you've trimmed. Wish mine would grow that quickly!

adiapalic
October 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Wow--huge difference in color from the first to last pics. Lots of changes--your hair is looking beautiful. :)

Alexannee10
October 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Congratulation :) I love your hair, their color and lenght! You should be proud. Lol.

PS: J'ai reconnu tes cheveux Pluche! Loll! Bonne pousse ;)

Tangles
October 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Very belle Isa-belle!
I love the soft yet thick look of your current hair. It looks so well cared for, yet natural.

JamieRose
October 13th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I love your hair color in that last pic- gorgeous!

camirra555
October 13th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Very pretty! I love your hair colour!

Teazel
October 13th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Congratulations on your first anniversary, beautiful Isabelle. :flowers:

Your hair looks so yummy in that big photo. :yumm:

May your second year at LHC bring you all the happiness a lovely person like you deserves.

JCFantasy23
October 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Sigh...such gorgeous hair. Even when you first started, always so thick and lovely, I envy you! Small waist too http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt288/CFAngel180/biggrin.gif

Stephichan
October 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Wow, your hair is simply gorgeous! I really liked reading the things that have helped you grow in this past year. Thanks, and congratulations!

almudena
October 13th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Your hair is abosolutely beautiful. Congratulations on you aniversary and on such an amazing hair :flowers:

Masara
October 13th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary. Your growth has been amazing and the condition of your hair is enviable

Charlotte
October 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Isa-belle, your hair looks very beautiful and is an inspiration to me. It is amazing what only one year of taking proper care can achieve. I hope that my hair shows as much improvement when my first anniversary on the LHC comes around. :D

jojo
October 13th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Excellent progress in just a year and beautiful hair too.

fluffybunny
October 14th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Great post. As a newbie it's inspiring to hear what a positive influence this place has been. I especially like your point about fairytale ends. I would probably never have never thought to value them or find them pretty either, but now I really enjoy them.

Ryanne
October 14th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Congratulations on your anniversary. Lovely hair.

MissManda
October 14th, 2009, 12:45 AM
That is such an amazing progression! :D I love your hair! Congratulations!

Elenna
October 14th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Isabelle, your hair is so lovely. That's what I like about this forum too, the encouragement and helpfulness.

Amoretti
October 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Isa-belle; congrats on your 1 year anniversary! :flowers:

You're right, the LHC is definitely a wonderful, supportive community. :) Your hair is lovely and you have a good plan. Keep growing! :)

winter_star
October 14th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Happy Anniversary! Your hair looks great.

janeytilllie
October 14th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Happy Anniversary! :flowers:

Your hair is absolutely beautiful! The progress you have made is fantastic :D

DavidN
October 14th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Congratulations, Isa-Belle, on your LHC anniverasry, and here's to many more!

What wonderful progress, and I am amazed at the difference in such a short period of time. Thank you for your inspirational photos!

Chrissy
October 14th, 2009, 04:57 AM
I love the recap of your first year here. The way you describe this wonderful group of people is exactly how I feel. Your hair looks wonderful. I'm so glad you let it go dark again. I wish you another year of healthy long hair.

Ylliria
October 14th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Thank you so much for the pictures but also for explaining so good what LHC represents for you, Isa-belle. I perfectly understand what you wrote about the pleasure and the benefit to be a member of such a great community.

And of course: congrats and happy first anniversary here!

Robinlyn
October 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Beautiful Hair! Happy Anniversary to you :)

JamieLeigh
October 14th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Congrats on such awesome hair! The trimming has really seemed to make a difference, your hemline looks very thick. I love the shades the henna/sunlight combination plays across your hair, very fairy-tale! :flower:

I've enjoyed getting to know you here at LHC and on Facebook as well. Thanks for giving ALL OF US a great year! :D

Belisama
October 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Wow - the color is absolutely beautiful. :D

rossjen
October 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Happy 1st LHC anniversary :) You've made great progress, and your hair keeps looking better and better. I love the color you've achieved with the henna in the last photo.

jel
October 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Congratulations on your LHC-versary! :flowers:

Your hair looks gorgeous, and it has grown so fast - and that's with the trims! Lucky you :D

melikai
October 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Congratulations on 1 year, Isa-belle! Your hair is simply lovely. And thanks for your great blog too ;)

Isa-belle
October 15th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Wow, thank you so very much to all of you. :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:
I was away because I was travelling - and I wasn't expecting such a response on logging back into LHC!
I don't usually see my hair as particularly special (as compared to the amazing hair one can see here), so your comments are very encouraging. :flower:

Excellent progress in just a year and beautiful hair too.
The progress I'm showing is actually spread over a year and a half (I know my first post was a bit confusing in this respect :oops:), but thank you so very much :flower:

I long to reply to each of you separately, but that is not possible just right now (swamped by work!) so here's a gigantic hug for you all :grouphug:

Your words make me realize even more how surrounded by friendliness one can feel here. It's like being wrapped in a big fuzzy blanket on a cold day :D