PDA

View Full Version : *Geekout*! Coconut Betaine

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I just switched shampoos (again), because [Al'chemy] and my scalp were having a little bit of an argument.

Looking for the right shampoo, I found one containing "coconut betaine". I'm pretty that's a synonym for cocamidopropyl betaine.

Now, I'm sorry, because this probably won't mean anything to anyone without a chem (or bio/biochem) background, but I completely geeked out on seeing this, because I know the "betaine" part means it's a zwitterion. XD

For the uninitiated, what that means is, rather than something like sodium laureth sulfate, where the sodium is a positive ion and the laureth sulfate is the negative ion, and they separate, a zwitterion contains both a bit that is a positive ion and a bit that is a negative ion in the same "chain".

Interestingly, this shampoo formed a half-decent lather. I've been using one with mostly acetate (as opposed to sulfate) detergents, and it made no lather at all. Cocamidopropyl betaine, it would seem, behaves a little differently.

If you are SLS-free but still shampoo-using, I gotta say, this seems to be a good choice for a mild detergent in shampoo.

clairenewcastle
October 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the post Flynn for this is an ingredient I noticed a lot on the back of shampoo bottles recently. I wasn't sure if it was a cone or a detergent because it's normally 2nd or 3rd in the list of ingredients so thanks for enlightening me.

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the post Flynn for this is an ingredient I noticed a lot on the back of shampoo bottles recently. I wasn't sure if it was a cone or a detergent because it's normally 2nd or 3rd in the list of ingredients so thanks for enlightening me.

Yeah, it's a medium strength surfactant -- that means a fairly mild detergent. ^__^

clairenewcastle
October 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I'll bear that in mind. I gave up using cones two years ago and want to keep my shampoo as plain as possible for I don't want it to cause build-up. Mind you I've always seen co betaine with sulphates....I'm not trying to avoid sulfates for I like a shampoo that lathers well, but are there any sulphate free shampoos that just have this as their detergent?

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I'll bear that in mind. I gave up using cones two years ago and want to keep my shampoo as plain as possible for I don't want it to cause build-up. Mind you I've always seen co betaine with sulphates....I'm not trying to avoid sulfates for I like a shampoo that lathers well, but are there any sulphate free shampoos that just have this as their detergent?

Yep, that's what I'm using ^__^ Sulfates seem a little harsh for me.

Exactly the one I have at the moment is this one (http://www.eczema.com.au/skincare-products/grahams-shampoo-and-conditioner/). It's an Australian product, though... I don't know if you can get it anywhere else.

clairenewcastle
October 12th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Love the natural ingredients! With coconut oil the 2nd ingredient and glycerine the 4th it's bound to be moisturizing. Can't see it being available here but then anything can be bought online........

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Love the natural ingredients! With coconut oil the 2nd ingredient and glycerine the 4th it's bound to be moisturizing. Can't see it being available here but then anything can be bought online........

I didn't read the ingredients on that site. The batch I have has the surfactant second, and no free coconut oil or coconut dea.

Still! The point is that it is meant to be natural and very low-irritant. This line of products are intended for people with eczema.

clairenewcastle
October 12th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I've eczema on my right hand and wrist. Recently I decided to use shampoo on my hands rather than soap for it tends to be less drying, this shampoo would be excellent for that purpose. Noticed on the "dry hands thread" that someone else does that too.

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Interesting idea...

I use soap alternatives that are less drying, and less irritating than SLS shampoos, so I don't really know.