PDA

View Full Version : weird smell (scalp)?

cleanbug
October 12th, 2009, 08:24 PM
hi there, i have been dealing with (on & off) a scalp that smells less than pleasant. i bravely asked my husband to smell my scalp & tell me the HONEST truth. He said it smells sort of cheezy (parmesian to be exact). Ewwww!
I don't always have this problem & actually noticed for the first time about 2 months ago while using (exclusivly) suave cocunut c/o routine. my c/o routine does include a shampoo once a week with co the rest of the washes (which is usually every other day).

my scalp started to get so itchy & that smell gets worse when the itchies/dandruff is worse so i know they are related.
i have always struggled with flaky scalp & must admit that it is better since using henna regularly. i stopped using the cocunut suave completely after having a conversation with my sis who was using it & her scalp was breaking out.

i bought "big sexy hair" professional products & was using the shampoo & conditioner combo for about a the last month. it seemed better but my hair was starting to feel a bit dry from shampooing & i wanted to try the co again & without thinking, used the cocunut suave 2 times. my scalp gradually started with this weird smell again.

to me, it seems as if its a yeast thing (the cheezy smell) but what would be a good rinse or product to control that?
i take acidophillus, limit sweets, dont' drink milk (which are all suppose to increase yeast in the body).

any ideas? i was thinking of doing a baking soda, white vinegar rinse to see if that somehow cuts through the scalp issues.

thanks
tami

heatherdazy
October 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM
If the shampoo helped your scalp but dried out your hair, have you considered trying cwc?

Demetrue
October 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM
What about using Monistat on your scalp? It's supposed to kill yeast/fungus and also make your hair grow faster for some people.

motormuffin
October 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM
You could try adding some tea tree or oil of oregano to your shampoo.
If the other shampoo is working for your scalp...just wash your scalp and condition the length. You could add some oil to your length after you get out of the shower. You could look at using TSAL too. I have good luck with it making my head not itch.

Toadstool
October 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I would ask a doctor. Be very careful using monistat on your scalp as if you don't use it as prescribed (don't think you can get it prescribed for your scalp yet!) you can become immune so it won't work for any fungal infections elsewhere.
It could be seborrheic dermatitis as that feeds on sebum and grease which would explain why CO would make it worse.

Arctic
October 13th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Avoid the suave condish that gives you trouble! I also suggest CWC washing or using shampoo twice a week and CO (with different product) the other times (or perhaps CO just isn't for you at all.

I have not have smelly scalp issues myself but am familiar with dandruff (I have oily scalp) and scalp itchiness and even scalp breakouts.

My breakouts were from using too mild cleansing on my scalp (co) and oiling my hair, my acneprone skin didn't like them.

I have had very healthy scalp lately, actually for quite a long time now:

I wash with shampoo (undiluted) every other day. Any longer than that, scalp starts to itch and form bumps.

I never put conditioner on scalp.

Right after the wash and towel drying I apply aloe vera (I have used both gel and juice, both are good, gel is easier to apply) in which I have mixed few drops of lavender essential oil (I also add rosemary EO for its known benefit to hair and if I feel a bit itchy, tea tree essential oil too) into my scalp, not rinsing it.
This has been the single most effective help for my problems!

Vinegar (ordinary, apple cider, red wine...) rinses have also been good for my scalp, now adays I dilute them very much, but before my LHC days I even used it neat (without diluting) with great results. I wouldn't recommend that though, as it is probably too drying for long hair and many people have skins so sensitive they can't take even 50% dilution.
The vinegar, esp. stronger dilution, really lifts the dandruff off from the scalp, at least on me, and it first looks like I would have got lot of new flakes but infact I just brus them off and my scalp is clean.

I also wanted to say that I think always scalp's health is more important than the hair's.

viking_quest
October 13th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I would just throw away that conditioner and get another one. I had that problem when I used a certain shampoo. I've stopped using it and now my scalp doesn't smell, itch, or have flakes.

Once you've found another conditioner then try CO again since you seem to like it and hopefully you won't have the cheesy smell.

GoddesJourney
October 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM
CO is not for everyone and you may want to see if a different routine works for you. I tried the CWC and found it didn't wash me that well. CO did nothing for me but build up gunk regardless of the type of conditioner and just waste gallons and gallons of water due to extra time in the shower. I switched to non-sulphate shampoo so I could wash guilt free. I really slather it on my scalp and scrub it down with my fingers, even wash my length. Rinse, follow up with a light conditioner.

aahavaa
October 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Coconut oil also helps to combat yeast infections.
It contains caprylic and lauric acid and will help topically.Even so stay away from the offending products.