PDA

View Full Version : making shampoo from shampoo bar (who posted that?)

intothemist1999
October 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
A while back someone posted how they took a bar (not sure if it specifically a shampoo bar or not) and grated it, added a few things, etc, and turned it into a liquid shampoo.

It was hopeless trying to track that down in a search.

I just wanted to check the details, and to also ask how it worked out on the hair.

Thanks!

SHELIAANN1969
October 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have taken homemade soap and melted it down into water and used it straight as liquid shampoo.

Some folks add a few drops of EO's.

I have also taken a sports bottle, added a chunk of soap to the bottle full of water and it will melt on its' own, it gets slimier that way though.

I still do this and it works well for me.

intothemist1999
October 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Oh, cool! Thanks, SHELIAANN!

Were they shampoo bars, or other suitable bars?

SHELIAANN1969
October 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
It wasn't a shampoo bar per se, but it WAS homemade soap.

I dislike using the bar straight on my head, it causes tangles and frustration, so I started letting some of the bar sit in a container of water, some folks say not to do this as the water can cause the nasties to grow, but I was just dissolve enough for a wash or 2, meaning it would be used right then and the remainder would be used up a few days later.

It has a much better outcome when you melt it all in a pan of water though, it isn't all slimy and it dissolves excellently.

If you want to stay on the safe side, just melt a tablespoon or so into maybe 8 oz or so of water and let cool, then use it that day. I use a sports bottle, the cap/spout aides in distributing the diluted product very well.