PDA

View Full Version : Store Brand Products - Do you like them?

purplebubba
October 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I recently got a job at Kroger grocery store that gives me a discount on store brands so I have been checking out all the stuff they carry. They've been playing a commercial on the speaker for a new store brand called Mirra.

Anyway I did a title search for the word store and didn't see a thread on this sub forum for store brands so I thought I'd ask if anyone uses them? Does it say what product its supposed to be like or compared to? I know many stores have their own version of Pantene and I remember CVS had an Herbal Essences a few years back when H.E. still used the other bottles.

Basically starting a discussion. :)

marikamt
October 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Are you talking strictly about hair/ body care items???
I have used store brand q-tips or body wash, but not shampoo or anything..... home cleaning products, I will buy store brand...... same with some pantry "basics" (pasta, tomato sauce, etc)

purplebubba
October 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Are you talking strictly about hair/ body care items???
I have used store brand q-tips or body wash, but not shampoo or anything..... home cleaning products, I will buy store brand...... same with some pantry "basics" (pasta, tomato sauce, etc)

My question was about the beauty / hair stuff but its ok to mention the other stuff if you wish. Especially since many of those other items seem to end up in hair anyway. Such as Mayo, brown sugar, honey.

ademtce
October 12th, 2009, 04:30 PM
i think the store brand can be great, but you've got to read the ingredients list - thats really the only way your going to know exactly what it does, since they can practically say anything they wont on the labeling.

having said that i've never heard of Mirra, maybe you could scribble down a few of the main ingredients and i could give you my thoughts.

elianne
October 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
i think the store brand can be great, but you've got to read the ingredients list - thats really the only way your going to know exactly what it does, since they can practically say anything they wont on the labeling.

I second this thought! I haven't heard of Mirra either, but you can also check the location of the manufacturer (sometimes they have the address of the place the product was made) -- a lot of products that are "store brand" are really made by the same plant/manufacturer as the "name brand." (For instance, I know this is the case with most of Trader Joe's store brand food products.)

It can be a little annoying to track down all the info on what manufacturer makes the name brand and the store brand, but it's worth it to me since you can save a lot in the long run. Hope that helps!

clairenewcastle
October 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Store brand products can be as good as the more well known brand names - it all depends on what store you are shopping at. A lot of essentials (eg household cleaning products) can be bought for a fraction of the cost if you shop around.

angelthadiva
October 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM
PB: There are some things I don't waste money buying the store brands (IE: Peanut Butter (has to be Jiff) Hotdogs (when we buy them, have to be Eckrich all beef).

From time to time, I use Generic Value hair care products. Meijer store brand items we use a lot of. We actually prefer Meijer Brand Raisin Bran to Kellogg *gasp* for some reason, Meijer RB's raisins are plumper and juicer than Kellogg's.

Interesting thread! :thumbsup:

Hiriel
October 13th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Before I went WO all I ever used on my hair was First Price shampoo and conditioner, which is a generic brand in Norway known mostly for being dirt cheap. The conditioner is in fact cone-free and everything (not that I knew at the time), and my hair certainly liked them :)

clairenewcastle
October 13th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I've noticed in the past that store brand shampoos tend to have very few ingredients in them, which can only be a good thing.
I have tried such shampoos in the past expecting them to be quite harsh but that wasn't the case at all. They done the job as well as more expensive shampoos. Didn't try any ultra cheap conditioners though for although I would economise with shampoo I never did with conditioner.

cindy58
October 13th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Congrats on the new job!

Tap Dancer
October 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Sometimes the store brands are better when it comes to food! I especially love Market Pantry (which is Target's brand) granola bars and fruit snacks. :)

ademtce
October 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM
OT; i love market pantry, their things are always good.

teela1978
October 13th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I've been using kirkland (costco) brand shampoo for the last year or so (BIG bottle, my mom didn't like it and it somehow got transferred to me) and I've been liking it a lot. I recently discovered that another friend of mine uses their shampoo/conditioner religiously. Not sure if I'll stick with it once it runs out or go back to my usual suave though. The pump is quite handy on the kirkland bottle, so it has that going for it.

swirlytresses
October 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I just picked up some of the Mirra gel. There is a coupon on the Kroger site for $5 off the purchase of two or more Mirra products. The gel and co's look to be CG. Anyone try this brand out yet?