PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for Long Hair

luvitlong
April 20th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I suspect we all have different reasons for wearing hair long. I have listed all the reasons I can think of, but maybe others can think of other reasons.

Why do you wear your hair long?

Eboshi
April 20th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hello luvitlong,

There are already a bunch of threads on this theme. (There is a "search" function at the top right of your screen that will take you right to them)

In the meantime, what are your hair goals and your reasons for growing your hair out ?

luvitlong
April 20th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Oops. I can't find the button to turn this into a poll with choices listed.

Eboshi
April 20th, 2008, 02:05 PM
What are your hair goals and your reasons for growing your hair out ?

Rosepatrice
April 20th, 2008, 02:37 PM
What are YOUR hair goals?

ElStuddo
April 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Well I dont wear it, but I support it. :)

luvitlong
April 21st, 2008, 12:23 AM
My goal is to grow my hair longer...I'm not sure how long I will actually go. I like the variety of styles one can obtain with longer hair.

MoonSong
April 21st, 2008, 01:50 AM
What sort of information are you looking for? Why don't you tell us a little bit more about yourself, and maybe we can help.

Eboshi
April 21st, 2008, 08:54 AM
My goal is to grow my hair longer...I'm not sure how long I will actually go. I like the variety of styles one can obtain with longer hair.

That's great ! Why don't you tell us more about yourself and your hair goals? What sort of styles do you do currently ?

dulce-de-leche
May 31st, 2008, 11:48 PM
I was thinking of growing my hair to my TB but I have decided to grow it longer.I am growing out my hair because I love long hair & I think it looks sexy.My husband likes long hair too so he's another reason but mostly because I like it.

eadwine
June 1st, 2008, 04:15 PM
I have always wanted to have it long but never could/never thought much about it.

Coming here looking for updos jolted that old wish back up, and now I am going for it full force :D

purplebubba
June 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
I'm a male.
I grew and kept long hair for basically one reason.
I do not want short hair. I want hair that is long enough for a ponytail.
At the moment I have that and more.

Kirin
June 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
My answer is simple.

Because I can. No. really :)

RavennaNight
June 1st, 2008, 08:28 PM
I'm growing long hair because I never had hair past BSL and always liked long hair. I think it also bucks the trend, but thats not to say if Long Hair became trendy I'd cut. I just like the look and we all (arguably on spiritual levels) only live once that we know of or remember, so if you want to grow it, enjoy it.

jojo
June 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I am growing my hair to waist or classic because long hair is who I am and is what I prefer.

Beatnik Guy
June 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Why not? :wink:

CountessDeJager
June 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I have listed all the reasons I can think of, but maybe others can think of other reasons.

Can you post those reasons you came up with that got lost? I'd be interested to see what you thought.

Forever_Sophie
June 5th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Oh, this sounds bad...I'm keeping it long b/c I look younger w/ it this way. I work in theatre so it's important, as several of my friends have noticed, too, we get more work w/ our hair like this.

Wanderlust
June 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I'm growing my hair long because I look better with long hair, I like to play with it, and my boyfriend likes looooong hair (like even longer than i want it, which is hip length...!!!)

chotee
June 7th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I have experimented with my hair having all kinds of hairstyles when i was younger but as i grow older, i think i would like to grow it long so i will look classy. My grandmother wears her hair long and braided bun and she looks fabulous with her golden hair bun :smile:

chotee

stargrape
June 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Well I am a new one here and this is just my 2nd post to LHC but the reason I am growing out my hair is I want to look more feminine and pretty. In the mid-nineties I had BSL hair and that is when I felt my most prettiest. :love:

About 3 months ago I got a really short, heavily layered, copied from Olivia Newton-John Live in Sydney concert video hair style. It was a fun hair cut but I want to get idea of myself having to have short hair to be a mommy to 2 under the age of 3. I want to feel young and pretty with long hair again. So my goal is BSL with side layers and to have short, round brushed bangs. I have a certain pic of my hair goal and as soon as I can configure how to add images I'll post it. I am enjoying LHC already, reading much and now I am going out to buy Suave Coconut Cream conditioner today.

Aisha25
June 7th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I have experimented with my hair having all kinds of hairstyles when i was younger but as i grow older, i think i would like to grow it long so i will look classy. My grandmother wears her hair long and braided bun and she looks fabulous with her golden hair bun :smile:

chotee
Wow,that is what I want when i'm older to have a long hair like that.

dukkelisa
November 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
For the most part, just because I got sick and tired of fussing with my hair. I bleached, curled, hairspray my hair into submission most of my adult life. Suddenly in my mid 40's I had had enough. I let it grow. I love being able to put my hair up in a bun in just a few minutes and not thinking about it all day.

After it grew very long, I started to love the scent of it freshly washed, the feel of gently detangling with my fingers, the indulgent joy of knowing I am not doing what every one else is doing. I wonder how much money I have saved in the last few years from NOT fussing with my hair?

Tressie
November 12th, 2008, 10:46 AM
For the most part, just because I got sick and tired of fussing with my hair. I bleached, curled, hairspray my hair into submission most of my adult life. Suddenly in my mid 40's I had had enough. I let it grow. I love being able to put my hair up in a bun in just a few minutes and not thinking about it all day.

After it grew very long, I started to love the scent of it freshly washed, the feel of gently detangling with my fingers, the indulgent joy of knowing I am not doing what every one else is doing. I wonder how much money I have saved in the last few years from NOT fussing with my hair?
I think you have hit the nail on the head in your post so to speak! While our grandmothers or greatgrandmothers may have cut their hair as a symbol of freedom. I think we grown ours long as a symbol of the freedom FROM convention sometimes.

Enjoying our own long hair can indeed be a very sensual experience, that many people just never have the privilege of knowing! (o:

Copasetic
November 12th, 2008, 11:06 AM
when i was little, my mom used to keep my hair REALLY short. like a couple of inches at most. i guess the fact that i have never really had long hair has fueled my desire to get it!

Ryanne
November 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Because I can, I look better with long hair, and because I want to feel my hair on my back :).

Raven69
November 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Being rebellious towards ex-parents. Cause they never allowed me to have longer hair than BSL. More now cause the military chopped it off when I was 17 and because of their silly regulation on how wide and thick the bun is supposed to be...and to feel like a woman. Plus I love the medeviel time period and that having long hair was more common then...

So, I can flip people who make me mad with it...hehe...*is secretly evil*

Plus some of my anscestors/relatives have it and it is tradition.

ladyfairington
November 14th, 2008, 10:22 PM
i've had long hair all my life, but for a reason.

when i was around five years old, my grandfather died- he was the first person in my family to die and it really hit me hard.

my hair started to fall, little spots here and there, until i had lost 3/4ths the hair on my head.

after taking me to various hospitals, the doctors said that i had alopecia, a disorder that makes your hair fall out.

my mother and father tried everything- it was all very traumatic for me and, with all the added stress, even more hair fell out

it was hard- i would like to brush my hair like rapunzel but it would fall out, even washing my hair at night was a nightmare.

i had just been switched to a new doctor who gave my mom this cream in a little white jar to put on my bald spots every night.

my mother had cried herself to sleep one night and was in-between sleeping and exhaustion when she had a vision: a bright light shone in front of her and, just when she thought she would go blind, she heard a voice saying "i have changed my mind about little mary ann."

she woke up and ran to my bedroom, i was asleep in my bed.

after that, my hair began to grow back, all of it.

it is truly a miracle- i wasn't meant to have hair on my head, my underarms, my legs, eyelashes, nowhere.

and so even though i'm "a hairy european young lady", i couldn't be happier. <3!

Celtica
November 15th, 2008, 04:52 AM
I don't know really. I've had what would generally be considered long hair for most of my life, apart from a couple of years from 18-20 when I went from probably bsl to a short pixie -which was great in the morning -wash, rub dry, run out the door, but a bit of a PITA when it came to the 6 weekly trims.

Around 13 I had long hair I guess, must have been waistish, if I recall. It's generally been between shoulder and waist for most of my life, particularly in childhood. It'd be the longest it's ever been now though, hip/almost TB. Why am I growing it now? Dunno really. Is "Cos I want to." an acceptable answer? I want hair longer than is common around here, so I guess there's a bit of "just to be different":wigtongue: . Waist is definitely quite common where I am, and TB is also fairly often seen, especially among young Maori women, often in a single long braid.

katiana
November 16th, 2008, 12:42 AM
i've had long hair all my life, but for a reason.

when i was around five years old, my grandfather died- he was the first person in my family to die and it really hit me hard.

my hair started to fall, little spots here and there, until i had lost 3/4ths the hair on my head.

after taking me to various hospitals, the doctors said that i had alopecia, a disorder that makes your hair fall out.

my mother and father tried everything- it was all very traumatic for me and, with all the added stress, even more hair fell out

it was hard- i would like to brush my hair like rapunzel but it would fall out, even washing my hair at night was a nightmare.

i had just been switched to a new doctor who gave my mom this cream in a little white jar to put on my bald spots every night.

my mother had cried herself to sleep one night and was in-between sleeping and exhaustion when she had a vision: a bright light shone in front of her and, just when she thought she would go blind, she heard a voice saying "i have changed my mind about little mary ann."

she woke up and ran to my bedroom, i was asleep in my bed.

after that, my hair began to grow back, all of it.

it is truly a miracle- i wasn't meant to have hair on my head, my underarms, my legs, eyelashes, nowhere.

and so even though i'm "a hairy european young lady", i couldn't be happier. <3!

Wow..that is a really interesting story! I definitely believe in miracles! I am glad to hear that everything turned out so well for you!!

I think my main reason to start growing again was after my first child was born..I cut it, but then shortly after, started growing out. Found it much more affordable and less time consuming worrying about styling my short hair at the time. I would also say as a little girl, I always admired my mother's long locks...my husband really does not comment on my hair too much, but my girls love it..
They want to grow out their hair as well.
I think they probably feel the way I did about my mother's hair:p

ladyfairington
November 16th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Wow..that is a really interesting story! I definitely believe in miracles! I am glad to hear that everything turned out so well for you!!

I think my main reason to start growing again was after my first child was born..I cut it, but then shortly after, started growing out. Found it much more affordable and less time consuming worrying about styling my short hair at the time. I would also say as a little girl, I always admired my mother's long locks...my husband really does not comment on my hair too much, but my girls love it..
They want to grow out their hair as well.
I think they probably feel the way I did about my mother's hair:p

thank you very much.

awh, i used to love playing with my mom's hair too.

it's blonde, but not very long.

she would fall asleep when i'd brush and braid her hair.

kiora
November 16th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I rarely used to cut my hair when I was younger. My mom trimmed the hem a bit now and then so my hair was always somewhere around BSL.
Then I wanted a change of course and cut it above shoulders when I was 17. From then on it's been ever changing both in colour and length.

I think my hair is easier to manage when it's longer and I like being able to do nice updo's. I miss being able to flip it back and have it stay there, it also makes me feel more feminine in a way.
It's not long yet but I know it will be in two years or so. Just have to get rid of some (a lot) of layers. Can't wait :)

ginnysgems
November 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I keep my hair long because I basically get BORED. With long hair you can wear it up, back, braided, put in a barrette, you can knot it, put it in a twist, put it in a bun, a pony tail, "stick it"...... It's never ending! When I wore my hair short the only thing I could do to really change the "look" was to keep cutting it!!! At one point my hair was SO SHORT I couldn't cut it anymore without shaving it..... So I've had it long for many many years now (not counting the time I had the horrid bleached incident!!!!). But this is the first time that I am trying to grow it out to see just how long I can get it! :)

Drynwhyl
November 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Because it's just me. I can't imagine how I would feel if I'd cut it. It's like cutting off a limb :S
And it serves like a blanket I use to hide, I feel more secure when I let it down o_O

Payal80
November 19th, 2008, 12:39 AM
as per me I just love the secure feeling I get from long hairs

Nicole.Amina
November 19th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I had a bad salon experience where I walked out with hair that was shorter than chin length. Aside from the easiest hair maintenance I've ever experienced, I hated having short hair. I didn't go near a pair of scissors for 6 years. Then something possessed me to cut my hair to shoulder length. I am currently hiding my scissors.

So apart from bad salon experiences, I just like how long hair looks on me

PurpleRays
December 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I recently found a photo of when I was 8 years old - My hair was waist length. I am trying to grow my hair at least as long.

Also, my boyfriend loves long hair and has encouraged me to no longer color and let it grow in naturally.

kam984420
December 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I've had short hair all my life (almost 30 years) and am ready to try something different.

sahiba
December 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I was born in the country where long hair is common and almost taken for granted. And I belong to the religion where cutting hair is a sin. So long hair was the only option , not that I regret it. ;)

Phalaenopsis
December 29th, 2008, 02:56 AM
I used to have long hair, in my teens I wanted to be like the rest, so I cut my hair. And after my first real bad haircut, I never wanted it again, I just wanted to be me again. So here we are :)

Yedda
December 29th, 2008, 03:02 AM
My reason for trying to grow my hair out is simple- I think it is sexy and feminine, and if taken care of, beautiful.

I would like to grow my hair to my bra band only. I have had a hard enough time keeping healthy shoulder length hair, and I'm not trying to take on growing hair any longer than my bra band at this point.

LadyEliza
January 19th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Because it's something I can control. My hair is the prettiest part of me

RancheroTheBee
January 22nd, 2009, 03:11 AM
Well, I've always associated hair with growing up, and by extension, freedom. My grandmother cut off all of my hair when I was very young (something about the devil being in my hair, or something). I grew it out, and chopped it all off at nine, because I thought it looked good (it didn't.)

So, between then and my first year at college, it fluctuated between chin and shoulder-length. After a series of bad things happened, I decided to shave my head as a way of "cleansing" myself. It helped me feel better.

That was in 2007. Since then, I've kept it fairly short, but in the last couple of months, I've decided that I want to defining myself through emotional crises by chopping off all my hair, and just have the long hair I've always wanted.

slz
January 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM