PDA

View Full Version : Heat dangerous for our hair

maaria
October 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Well, i think that i have got that right , NOT use things that can damage your hair with heat, BUT how about sauna?? :confused:

Calista
October 12th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I don´t think the sauna is damaging. The straightening iron gets about 200°C hot, the sauna only 90-100°C. Some people like to protect their hair with a towel, though; IMO the best thing you can do is what you did yesterday: do a nice deep treatment, wrap a towel around your head and relax. Good for you, good for your hair! :)

Carolyn
October 12th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Warm moist heat is not a bad thing for hair. Many of us load up our hair with conditioners and/or oils and use a heat cap. I don't think a sauna would be much different. The heat that damages is a high heat directly applied with metal plates (curling iron and straightening iron) or the high heat blast from a blow dryer. I'd say enjoy your saunas and maybe make them a time for deep conditioning your hair.

akurah
October 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
My rule of thumb for heat and hair is this: if it's hot enough to injure your skin or damage your nails, it's hot enough to damage your hair.

I don't think a sauna would be all that harmful given that it doesn't generally damage your skin, but you'll probably want to either do a deep treatment after or possibly protect your hair with a towel.

maaria
October 12th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Ok, thank you all, i think iŽll wrap a towel around my hair :p

alys
October 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Heat and steam from the sauna will raise your cuticles of course, and restore your hydrogen bonds, thus the poof and frizz in hi-humidity. When I use the sauna, (a lot), I always layer some oil or conditioner on my hair when it's dry, right before I go in. This way when the cuticles do open up, they drink in all that good stuff. I'm an ACV freak and always follow anything like that with an ACV rinse but that's just me :)

Arctic
October 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
This is not really an LHC advise, just something I've learned along the way:

- always wet your hair before going in the heat
- protecting the hair with towel or sauna hat would be very good. I think sauna hat's are not possible option for long hairs unless you make one yourseld that is big enough :)
- Using the time for deep treatment is perfect!

ETA: At least many electric saunas here are not very steamy at all, the air is quite dry. It's different in saunas warmed up with wood/ traditional sauna. I think some folks may think more like steam room when they hear the word sauna.

mbaker223
October 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I cannot believe I signed on to see this question. Just this morning I was in my gym's steam sauna and I was wondering just the same thing, I made a mental note to ask on the forum but of course I forgot.

Thanks so much for asking, I can't wait to see all the information!

Ash
October 12th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I wouldn't think a damp heat would be damaging but dry heat might. It would be a perfect opportunity to do a deep treatment, maybe with oils or conditioner under a towel or something. :) If it is dry heat, at least dampen the hair first.

clairenewcastle
October 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM
ETA: At least many electric saunas here are not very steamy at all, the air is quite dry. It's different in saunas warmed up with wood/ traditional sauna. I think some folks may think more like steam room when they hear the word sauna.

Good point about the electric saunas having very dry air, I used to take saunas a lot in the past and the air was exceptionally dry. Sometimes I would put conditioner on my hair before I went in but regretfully not always.....back then I wasn't as hair-aware as I am now.

Wicked Princess
October 13th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I use a sauna once a week and haven't noticed any harm to my hair. :) I do wrap mine in a towel when I'm in there, though.

spidermom
October 13th, 2009, 10:19 AM
We have a dry sauna at the fitness center I use, and I only go in there with well-oiled hair, which I figure makes it a hot-oil treatment.

Carolyn
October 13th, 2009, 03:53 PM
We have a dry sauna at the fitness center I use, and I only go in there with well-oiled hair, which I figure makes it a hot-oil treatment.Multi-tasking is a good thing! :thumbsup:

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Dude - this makes me want to join a gym! LOL

Bene
October 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I think there's a BIG difference between direct heat (blow dryer or flat iron) and sauna heat. I doubt a sauna would be harmful.