PDA

View Full Version : New to it all and no idea..

Eilean
October 12th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Dear all,

I am pretty new to natural hair care as you might have noticed and I am starting to wonder if my routine is okay?

I do use Aubrey Organics shampoo every second day because my hair tends to get quite greasy. I do not use the pure shampoo but dilute it down into 300 ml of warm water.

I use Aubrey Organics conditioner once a week, also diluted down into 300 ml warm water.

I use cold rinse and I have done a cold rinse with lemon this morning.

I make a coconut milk treatment once a month.

I am not sure about the following though:
How often should I use the lemon rinse? Every time I wash my hair?

And is there an oil for the ends of the hair I could use as a monthly resp. every 14 days treatment? I tried to find coconut oil but I have not been successful yet. I was in the supermarket on Friday but stood in front of half a dozen rows of oil from sunflower, over olive oil to walnut. Too many choices! :confused:

I know it is all individual and I have to test a lot, however I'd appreciate every advice :) .

Thanks!

Tangerine
October 12th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Hi Eilean, isn't the natural hair thing great:)
I've recently started washing with Indian herbs only and just added a catnip rinse to my routine as well. and am loving all of it. LHC is such an eye opener!

I am sure there will be others along with tips about lemon rinses. I was only wondering why you don't condition every time you wash? Or do I misunderstand you?

About coconut oil: you can order it online (I get mine from Akoma: akomaskincare.co.uk) but Holland & Barratt sometimes sell it too in a big tub for about £11 I think.
If you like you can oil your hair with it as a pre-wash treatment, or use a little after washing in your damp hair. Or just use a little every day on dry hair (just rub a little between your palms and 'slide' it on, if that makes sense).

The Articles section has lots of helpful tips on natural hair care which are really interesting to browse through.

Have fun! :flower:

Eilean
October 12th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Thank you Tangerine :) for your opinion and advice.

I am using conditioner only once a week because I find it makes my hair quite greasy within a short time. I only use the diluted version and rinse it out thoroughly, still my hair is quite greasy after two days. Without the conditioner my hair is still acceptable on the third day. Having said this, it might be that my hair has to get used to the new condi, although to be honest my hair's always gone greasy quite quickly when I used condi. That's why I have not used condi in years! I only strated again last week :eek: .

EDIT: I do not apply the condi to the roots though, only to the length.

I will take a look at the Articles section now. Thanks!

Olivia23
October 12th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Why do you do a lemon rinse? Lemon can be very drying and damaging to your hair. A lot of people on here use apple cider vinegar (acv) rinse instead. Also lemon may lighten your hair so I don't know if you want that or not.

Eilean
October 12th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I actually use both, apple cidre and lemon. I did not find that it made my hair very dry, however I have only used it once. I read on a different forum that it does not make a difference whether you use apple cidre or lemon as it is both acid. What do you think?

I have just popped into the bio market and got myself Biona Organic Coconut Virgin Oil Raw. I hope it is any good. I found it quite reasonably priced (3.69 for 200 ml). I know Asda's got cheaper one (0.89 £) but I could not find any and I don't know about the quality.

Has anyone tried the Biona Coconut Oil ?