PDA

View Full Version : I Want to go on A Hair Toy Spree!!!

HappyHair87
October 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I want some new hair toys...but everytime i go to a store or look online...there's soooo many designs to choose from until i don't know what to get so i just give up:justy:.

I want something new....i have dark hair so i don't really want anything black or dark brown bc it'll just be invisible....i want mainly new hair sticks and hair clips and little barrettes to decorate around my buns:).

Any recommendations? I get overwhelmed easy by too many choices.:(

klcqtee
October 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Hm. If I were you, I'd make my own. I used chopsticks, and some bright nail polish (it gives an awesome, smooth finish) and old dangely earrings. You know, chandelier kind? I had some that were too long for me, and so I used some thin wire to secure just the dangely bit (after removing the stud/hook) to the end of the sticks.

I only suggest this because then it will help you find out what you do/don't like in hairsticks. I've found that I like 6-8" ones, that don't make noise! I'm glad I didn't buy a pretty beaded one I was drooling over on etsy, because I know now, the beads clacking together would have driven me up the wall.

This might not really help, but, at least this way, you'll be able to limit what your options are.

HappyHair87
October 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Sounds good...but i have a very short attention span for making things :D

I'm actually thinking about buying a 60th street hair fork!! I'm looking at the site now...not on etsy...the original one...:cheese:

RedJen
October 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I like little sparkly butterfly clips or bobby pins rather than barrettes. For hairsticks, something silver would probably look great!

Or you can save up for a Ficcare!

I know the feeling about wanting to go on a hairtoy binge! I suddenly want to buy a bunch of sticks off etsy!

Shiva
October 11th, 2009, 11:21 PM
OOOOh, yes. Ficcares... must have more Ficcares.

Ficcares are fabulous.

:agree:

klcqtee
October 11th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Sounds good...but i have a very short attention span for making things :D

I'm actually thinking about buying a 60th street hair fork!! I'm looking at the site now...not on etsy...the original one...:cheese:
I used a hand-held pencil sharpener to make them shorter, and it only took me about 20 minutes for the pair (just be sure to sand them well, so your hair won't snag on them). Even less than that, if I don't add the dangely bits.

fluffybunny
October 11th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I want some new hair toys...but everytime i go to a store or look online...there's soooo many designs to choose from until i don't know what to get so i just give up

That is exactly what happens to me. I want some porcupine quills, some Quecraft forks, some France Luxe sticks, some plain sticks from firemountaingems.com, some children's chopsticks, another Ficcare, more Ketylos, and some Barreaeis sticks. Oh, and some decorated ones with Japanese cartoon characters on the ends. I can't decide where to start, so I don't order any :(

motormuffin
October 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I picked by narrowing it down. I picked a style first...like stick or fork. I figured what color I wear the most so that I would get the most mileage out of it. I kept looking on etsy and saved favorites for all the ones that stood out. Then I went back through and narrowed it down from there. Then there are still all of the others saved for the next time I want a new one to choose.

GlassEyes
October 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'll actually cast a vote for 60th street. I use their hairforks a ton more than my hair sticks, at least at my length--even more than my ficcare. :p

mwedzi
October 12th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I want to go on one, too! Cursed poverty! Of all the hair toys I've tried, I think I like the Ficcare best. I sold mine because, at a medium size, it was too small. But I'll definitely get another in large.

rchorr
October 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Getting out of a "hair toy store" is as bad as getting out of a book store, for me!! LOL! I want to buy EVERYTHING ... but my pocket book disagrees. :shrug:

RCHORR'

twilight_faerie
October 12th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Another vote for 60th St. forks! They're just incredibly well made, and you can choose what color you want, too. I love the really colorful ones. I'm also coveting Ketylos.

GlassEyes
October 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Getting out of a "hair toy store" is as bad as getting out of a book store, for me!! LOL! I want to buy EVERYTHING ... but my pocket book disagrees. :shrug:

RCHORR'
Agreed. Only more boys or more toys can fill this need. :p

Edit: I'm tempted to edit this so that it properly says "books", but the freudian slip is far too funny to erase. xD;

elianne
October 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Edit: I'm tempted to edit this so that it properly says "books", but the freudian slip is far too funny to erase. xD;

Hahaha, I LOVE it! You made my day, GlassEyes! I'm glad you didn't edit it out.... and, it's also a freudian slip I would have made. :)

To the original poster: Go with 60th street, you won't be disappointed! Also, I've heard nothing but great things about ketylo (going to order my first ones soon...) And if you really want to go on a spree, just wander around etsy! I'm sure you'll find lots of pretty shinies that you love :)

twilight_faerie
October 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Haha! I read that before you edited it and was like, "huh?..."

Anje
October 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I'll toss out a vote for Ketylos. Light wood or dymondwood ones would be nicely colorful for you.
Etsy.com is loaded with all sorts of stuff -- our own Nightshade has quite a following, but you'll have to keep an eye on people's signatures, because quite a few members have Etsy stores and do great work!
Lots of people like Flexi-8s (http://www.flexi8.com/), but I haven't tried them.
Finally, if you like sparkly stuff, there are Ficcares and Crystalmood.com.

JamieLeigh
October 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I know exactly what you mean!! :p I have a wide variety of likes and not a lot of dislikes, so it's hard for me to make up my mind on hairtoy purchases and like you, I eventually give up and go do something productive, lol. Lately, I've been buying the geekier stuff - hairsticks with dice, Star Wars figures and chess pieces on them - and before that, I was going crazy over girly stuff - the metal sticks with beaded flowers or porcelain flowers were catching my eye - and now I'm back on goth stuff again - skulls, black roses, etc - it changes frequently. :D

I'm sorry I have no advice to offer...but I do want to let you know I share your pain!! :flower:

DragonLady
October 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I have the same trouble.

So, I go "window shopping" on the 'net, and look at all the lovely things. Then, the next day pull out a notebook and make a list of the things I remember I wanted. If I don't remember something, I probably didn't really want it. I do that no matter what I'm shopping for.

Then narrow the list down by what will go with my clothes, what I can afford, what really seems like the kinda thing I would reach for everyday. Sparkly stuff gets my attention, but when I'm getting dressed I really like simple, unfussy things. So that's what I usually end up spending the most money on.

So far, I have two 60th Street forks and one on the way, and five Ketylos. And I can honestly say I love them all. I also have some nice things from the swap board, and I wear/use them, too.

Snowflakey
October 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Personally, I really like BiNe hair forks. I went on a spree last month and bought six from that Elegant Hair Acc website.

Nightshade
October 12th, 2009, 02:38 PM
If it helps CrystalMood.com is having a 40% off everything sale at the moment :)

Xandergrammy
October 12th, 2009, 02:41 PM

:gabigrin: Excellent!

windinherhair
October 12th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I have felt the same way! There is so much to choose from, so every month I have told myself that I am treating myself to something I know I like and also trying something new....that way I am not getting hundreds of hair toys in the mail and I don't even know which ones I like yet and which ones I do. :)
My big purchase this month was my first hair fork. So far it is one of my favorite hair toys besides wooden hair sticks. Next month I would like to try a couple Flexi-8's and see how I like them.

HappyHair87
October 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Thanx everybody! :D I have a Ficcare...THANX Bene!!....And i like it but i love the look of forks and sticks bc not everyone is wearing them...let alone know what to do with them. Lol!!

MotherConfessor
October 13th, 2009, 01:12 AM
My personal favorite is "The Bronze Jewelers" His stuff is the most beautiful and it lasts forever. You should totally check it out. http://www.bronzejewelers.com (http://www.bronzejewelers.com/)

HappyHair87
October 15th, 2009, 11:12 PM
OMG you guys!!!! I'm SOOOOOO excited!!! I went on a hairtoy spree today....i'm patiently awaiting all my toys to come in the mail!!

I bought a 60th street fork
2 Flexi 8s
And a pair of Barefoot Maiden Sticks!!! WEEEEEEEE!!!!! :misskim: