PDA

View Full Version : Addicted to SLS Help!

above_rubies
October 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Ok I've only been here a short time and I've only done the cwc method 3 times so far. The first 2 times I used a shampoo that had sls in it and white rain conditioner. Well yesterday I bought a shampoo at wal-mart that is sls free. It's Route 66 by Giovanni. I washed it last night and my hair was so greasy this morning that as I was getting ready for church my ds said "wow mom your hair is still wet from washing it last night?!" :eek: Needless to say it got put in an updo today.

I have tried a different sls shampoo a long time ago with the same results. It wound up being used as a body wash instead.

So today I just couldn't take it anymore. I got in the shower and I washed my hair with that sls shampoo. Twice! Oh the foam! Oh the squeakycleanness! I even piled it on top of my head to wash it!:eyebrows: Now my hair feels so much better. The strands aren't stringy and clumped together like they have been since I started this CWC stuff. It has movement and the strands are separated! I know I'm so bad. I can't help it. I don't know what to do. I know I have split ends probably because of the dryness but I can't stand the greasiness. The only benifit of the CWC was that it was much softer. But it just wasn't pretty and shiny and moveable.

My original routine before I came here was head and shoulder with no conditioner to let you know how clueless I am about hair care. I want to do what's best for my hair but I don't know what to do. I have always had problems with itchy scalp/flakes even on my eyebrows. I did find that the ACV rinse did help with that but not when I used the sls free shampoo. It was really bothersome by afternoon of today.

I don't know maybe I should try some of those CV shampoo bars. I don't have much hope though. It will probably be icky no matter what I try that is sls free.

Kaileida
October 11th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Oh jeez! Hey, it's whatever works for you. Just keep that in mind.

My scalp is too greasy to go more than two days without shampooing, even though most people here wash once or twice a week. I also use SLS shampoos... non sulfates just don't work for me. So I say again: whatever works for you. Everyone's hair is different!

HappyHair87
October 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I too am back to sls shampoos....it just cleans better!!

teela1978
October 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM
There isn't anything wrong with SLS. IMHO the chemists who formulate commercial shampoos do a fantastic job. My scalp is cleaner, healthier (no little scabby spots), and I can go longer between shampoos (and it's way cheaper than many other methods).

I'm curious as to why you don't think you can do CWC with SLS though. Personally I don't really bother with CWC (seems like a waste of conditioner), but there's no reason you can't do it with an SLS shampoo.

ETA: and your hair looks pretty fantastic for someone who's 'clueless about haircare' :) I wouldn't worry too much about making big changes to your routine. Go slow, one thing at at time. Just adding conditioner is a big step!

above_rubies
October 11th, 2009, 11:10 PM
There isn't anything wrong with SLS. IMHO the chemists who formulate commercial shampoos do a fantastic job. My scalp is cleaner, healthier (no little scabby spots), and I can go longer between shampoos (and it's way cheaper than many other methods).

I'm curious as to why you don't think you can do CWC with SLS though. Personally I don't really bother with CWC (seems like a waste of conditioner), but there's no reason you can't do it with an SLS shampoo.

ETA: and your hair looks pretty fantastic for someone who's 'clueless about haircare' :) I wouldn't worry too much about making big changes to your routine. Go slow, one thing at at time. Just adding conditioner is a big step!

Thank you! I don't know, I thought I had read some things on here about sls being bad for your hair. Stripping it of natural oils, making it dry, and being too harsh. Oh well, I'll calm down now.:) I guess I'm wanting the best of both worlds soft non-crunchy ends and happy clean scalp.

teela1978
October 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Thank you! I don't know, I thought I had read some things on here about sls being bad for your hair. Stripping it of natural oils, making it dry, and being too harsh. Oh well, I'll calm down now.:) I guess I'm wanting the best of both worlds soft non-crunchy ends and happy clean scalp.

Non-crunchy ends are good. I've tried several cleansing methods, and none of them seem to do a good enough job on my roots except for sulfate shampoo (ALS or SLS). And some of them really seemed harsh on my hair (harsher than any sulfate shampoo I've tried).

CWC can be a good way to try and keep the ends soft, that way the cleansing ingredients are buffered from the ends a bit. Just using conditioner is probably a pretty good step in the right direction though :) You can also try diluting your shampoo a bit to see if you can get away with using less (I dilute mine down a lot, mainly so it gets underneath my hair and removes oil from all my trouble spots that get missed with thick shampoo).

Anyway, have fun trying new stuff! Its nice to have more SLS-addicts around :D

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Your hair looks lovely, above_rubies. :flowers:

I use SLS shampoos as well. They don't seem to do me any harm. I do CO washing occasionally, and I dilute the 'poo sometimes, but I will also use it full-strength. I tried a couple of SLS-free shampoos when I started here, but they just don't work for me. And CO is nice, but I have to do it more often, so I generally just do a good ol' SLS 'poo followed with conditioner (and I go back and forth between cones and no cones there), just like always. :p My hair also hates coconut oil, which many folks around here love. That's okay.

By all means, try new things and see what your hair likes, but don't fret if something doesn't work for you. Just have fun! :D

ETA: You can definitely have soft, non-crunchy ends and a squeaky clean scalp, too. :heart:

above_rubies
October 11th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Your hair looks lovely, above_rubies. :flowers:

I use SLS shampoos as well. They don't seem to do me any harm. I do CO washing occasionally, and I dilute the 'poo sometimes, but I will also use it full-strength. I tried a couple of SLS-free shampoos when I started here, but they just don't work for me. And CO is nice, but I have to do it more often, so I generally just do a good ol' SLS 'poo followed with conditioner (and I go back and forth between cones and no cones there), just like always. :p My hair also hates coconut oil, which many folks around here love. That's okay.

By all means, try new things and see what your hair likes, but don't fret if something doesn't work for you. Just have fun! :D

ETA: You can definitely have soft, non-crunchy ends and a squeaky clean scalp, too. :heart:

Aww, Thanks Hootie!:puppykisses: I think I'll stick with my SLS 'poos and experiment with some different oils maybe to help with the ends. The CWC with the SLS 'poo was OK but I was getting more and more build up each time and then the third time with the SLS free just threw me over the edge a little bit. :silly:

Arctic
October 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Ok I've only been here a short time and I've only done the cwc method 3 times so far. The first 2 times I used a shampoo that had sls in it and white rain conditioner. Well yesterday I bought a shampoo at wal-mart that is sls free. It's Route 66 by Giovanni. I washed it last night and my hair was so greasy this morning that as I was getting ready for church my ds said "wow mom your hair is still wet from washing it last night?!" :eek: Needless to say it got put in an updo today.

I have tried a different sls shampoo a long time ago with the same results. It wound up being used as a body wash instead.

So today I just couldn't take it anymore. I got in the shower and I washed my hair with that sls shampoo. Twice! Oh the foam! Oh the squeakycleanness! I even piled it on top of my head to wash it!:eyebrows: Now my hair feels so much better. The strands aren't stringy and clumped together like they have been since I started this CWC stuff. It has movement and the strands are separated! I know I'm so bad. I can't help it. I don't know what to do. I know I have split ends probably because of the dryness but I can't stand the greasiness. The only benifit of the CWC was that it was much softer. But it just wasn't pretty and shiny and moveable.

My original routine before I came here was head and shoulder with no conditioner to let you know how clueless I am about hair care. I want to do what's best for my hair but I don't know what to do. I have always had problems with itchy scalp/flakes even on my eyebrows. I did find that the ACV rinse did help with that but not when I used the sls free shampoo. It was really bothersome by afternoon of today.

I don't know maybe I should try some of those CV shampoo bars. I don't have much hope though. It will probably be icky no matter what I try that is sls free.

Welcome to LHC!

Like others already said, sulfate shampoos are not necessarily bad: some people find them drying though.

There are many of us who use full strength sulfate shampoo regularly, we are just maybe more quiet than the people who use alternative washing methods. What ever works for you and your hair and scalp is the most important!

You say you have just recently started to take care of your hair: I think you might be going through a little adjustment shock (:)) because hair feels different with different washing and caring methods. For many LHCers the hair you are used to would mean probably a very dry hair. Give yourself time to get used to the changed feeling and behaviour, you will most probably learn to like them.

Also remember to give enough time for one experiment, so you will know what works and what doesn't, sometimes it takes a little time for scalp and hair to adjust. It's often suggested you clarify your hair before changing your hair washing method.

The piling your hair on top of your head really can be quite damaging though (lot of friction and tangles). There is an excellent article written by Teacherbear about how to handle hair including hair washing, in the articles section. I think it's called Splitend busters or something like that.

above_rubies
October 12th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Thanks Arctic! I checked out that article. It was very informative. I'm very happy to learn more ways to take better care of my hair.

ETA: I love your signature!

prittykitty
October 12th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I have an oily complexion and scalp. I tried CO washing and it just made my scalp even more oily as the day went on. I have to wash with SLS everyday. After I wash I use a rinse out conditioner, then after I blot my hair with a towel I add a leave in conditioner. When my hair is dry I add coconut oil. This seems to keep it soft and moisturized. Not everyone can go days without washing their hair and CO washing is not for everyone either. I have never had a problem with shedding or anything either from washing everyday. The only problem I have had is keeping the ends moisturized and the coconut oil seems to be doing a great job. I am going to try olive oil tomorrow and see how that goes. My ends are dry due to the result of chemical abuse so after it grows out and I get rid of the bad ends I may not have this problem anymore.

If washing with SLS works for your hair you should continue to do this.

Wicked Princess
October 12th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Everyone's hair is different - you have to use the products and hair care routine that works for YOU. What works for one person will not necessarily work for another. My skin and scalp are sensitive to SLS, and because of that I cannot use those products without getting hurt. However, plenty of LHC members use sulfates and their hair is beautiful and healthy!

Do what your hair loves. :D

melikai
October 12th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I strongly second what Arctic said. Trying a new technique twice is not a proper judge of whether something will work for you or not. It can take months to adjust to shampoo bars, for example. In addition, there are many other factors that need to be taken into account, such as if there are silicones in your shampoos and conditioners, what type of silicones (water-soluble or not), what type of oils and other ingredients are in your products, as well as where you apply conditioner (from ears down only or entire head), washing techniques etc etc.

I know many people who have had a minor scalp problem prior to using something like Head and Shoulders, and then a major problem after using such products.

Finally, the foaming agents in SLS shampoos are in no way responsible for the actual cleaning that goes on. They give the illusion of cleaning, that's all.

shortgoinglong
October 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Everyone is different. I had hip length hair for probably 18 years and always used SLS shampoo and my hair was never dry. I washed every 2 to 3 days, used my SLS shampoo and then a rich conditioner and never had any problems. I tried using SLS free shampoos a couple of times (JASON Organix Back to the Basics) and they all left my hair limp and lifeless. I think as long as you don't wash every day and use a conditioner that SLS is fine.

rhubarbarin
October 12th, 2009, 09:35 AM
If sulfates work well for you, don't feel guilty.

Some people have problems with it and prefer other methods, but it's by no means the bogeyman. It's the only thing that keeps my own scalp happy and healthy, and it doesn't bother my hair in the least (probably because I rinse out one condish, leave in another, and also leave in a moisturising gel and EVOO every time I wash!).

GoddesJourney
October 12th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I wash my hair every day with SLS free stuff and my hair is naturally really greasy as well. Because it's SLS free, I don't have to CWC, which I feel doesn't do the trick for me. Also, I can use a lot of it and really scrub it in there, which leaves me feeling squeaky clean. I'm using the Trader Joe's stuff and I've never used the one you mentioned. The TJ's stuff is about $3 a bottle. They also carry a tea tree oil one that smells nice and is a little bit more drying, which might work well for you. I typically wash my length with it as well. I, too, use it as a body wash.

teela1978
October 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM
I strongly second what Arctic said. Trying a new technique twice is not a proper judge of whether something will work for you or not. It can take months to adjust to shampoo bars, for example. In addition, there are many other factors that need to be taken into account, such as if there are silicones in your shampoos and conditioners, what type of silicones (water-soluble or not), what type of oils and other ingredients are in your products, as well as where you apply conditioner (from ears down only or entire head), washing techniques etc etc.

I know many people who have had a minor scalp problem prior to using something like Head and Shoulders, and then a major problem after using such products.

Finally, the foaming agents in SLS shampoos are in no way responsible for the actual cleaning that goes on. They give the illusion of cleaning, that's all.

I often wonder if the 'adjustment' period is really your hair getting used to the product, or you getting used to having different-feeling hair. As my hair has gotten longer I've definitely spaced out my washings more, and I don't feel like I need to wash as often... but I think I'm just more comfortable having slightly oily hair than I used to be (this is using mostly ALS shampoos). I find it hard to believe that you can train your scalp to be less oily in a few months.

I can believe that people with sulfate sensitivities find their scalps to be less oily when they switch to alternative methods... but thats a different story.

above_rubies
October 12th, 2009, 12:26 PM
What is a leave-in? I've left conditioner in my hair on accident before and it was ick, never dried after several hours. I'm going to try to add a comparison pic. Left side is today after the double sls wash yesterday. Right side is after two times of doing CWC with sls 'poo. Same dress, same location 'cause I'm OCD like that sometimes.:)
OK, don't know how to add the pic. It'll be in my album momentarily. Sorry. :p The sls 'poo I'm using is called Rusk Sensories Moist shampoo. The first two ingredients are water and Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate.

ETA: Didn't realize it was ALS instead of SLS but most of my shampoos are usually SLS.

shadowclaw
October 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I love SLS shampoos. I alternate between non-SLS and SLS shampoo, but I may ditch the non stuff once I use it all up. SLS cleans my scalp much better and I can go a few days without washing. With non-SLS shampoo, I get major grease in a day. For me, I don't think it matters which shampoo I use as far as damage is concerned. I keep the shampoo on my roots, which are healthy, strong, and young. My weaker, older length I try to keep shampoo-free.

I also agree, CWC with non-SLS shampoo may not be necessary. I find non-SLS shampoos to be very gentle on my length. It's when you scrub your length with SLS that you need to protect it with conditioner first.

Anje
October 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Like others have said, don't feel bad about using sulfates if they work for you.

To be a bit less harsh on your hair, though, you might want to try mainly just washing the scalp with your SLS/ALS shampoo, and let the suds run down the length when you rinse it out. Put some conditioner on the length and leave it in for a few minutes, then rinse it out. That way, your scalp won't get condish on it and get greasy-looking as fast.

Some people like "leave-in conditioners", which are typically watery sprays that you put on your hair post-shower. Other people put a small amount of regular conditioner (like the size of a pea) in their hair post-wash and leave it in, where it dries. I've never really been a fan of the results of either of these, as they tend to leave my hair feeling sticky, but different hair reacts differently.

Wicked Princess
October 12th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I just took a peek at your pictures and I have to say...I like the right one best! Your hair looks healthy in both pictures, but in the right one, it looks more moisturized and silky. :flower:

above_rubies
October 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I just took a peek at your pictures and I have to say...I like the right one best! Your hair looks healthy in both pictures, but in the right one, it looks more moisturized and silky. :flower:

Thank you. I know, I agree. I like the color and silkiness of the right side but the thickness of the left side. I'll keep experimenting.:)

ETA: What are everybody's specific favorite leave-ins?

prittykitty
October 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I also cannot use SLS free shampoos either. I have tried them and they don't work for me.

prittykitty
October 12th, 2009, 11:14 PM
A leave in is a conditioner that is designed to leave in. Some conditioners are meant to be rinsed out. The bottle of conditioner will usually say if it is a leave in. Leave in conditioners are great for some with curly hair. I use a leave in because my hair is naturally curly and dry and needs the extra moist

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 11:20 PM
A leave in is a conditioner that is designed to leave in. Some conditioners are meant to be rinsed out. The bottle of conditioner will usually say if it is a leave in. Leave in conditioners are great for some with curly hair. I use a leave in because my hair is naturally curly and dry and needs the extra moist

Most rinse-out conditioners can, however, be used as leave-ins. Saves a lot of money, and avoids problems if you need fragrance-free.

Amara
October 12th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I have a mister bottle that I fill with distilled water, and a little squirt of my V05 conditioner, so yeah, I use regular conditioner as a leave-in. Works just great, and it's basically free since I just such a small amount... I'd spend maybe $3 on my leave ins in a period of several months.

heatherdazy
October 12th, 2009, 11:43 PM
If you're so worried about it, just choose sodium laureth sulfate instead of sodium lauryl sulfate.

melikai
October 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I often wonder if the 'adjustment' period is really your hair getting used to the product, or you getting used to having different-feeling hair. As my hair has gotten longer I've definitely spaced out my washings more, and I don't feel like I need to wash as often... but I think I'm just more comfortable having slightly oily hair than I used to be (this is using mostly ALS shampoos). I find it hard to believe that you can train your scalp to be less oily in a few months.

I can believe that people with sulfate sensitivities find their scalps to be less oily when they switch to alternative methods... but thats a different story.

I think it depends on the product, too. I haven't noticed really any difference when switching from sulphates to something with Coco Glucoside, for example, but I definitely agree that washing with a soap-based shampoo or bar gives a different feel to the hair, which can take some getting used to. I don't think those who wash once a week are just learning to put up with greasier hair.

I do think that the scalp can and does adjust to different products though. I'm not really sure how long it would take - the ph of skin can "adjust" fairly quickly I think? Wouldn't the ph and balance of the scalp almost immediately impact hair growth and quality and so on?

Anyways, sort of off-topic, but I find it interesting. :p

Fractalsofhair
October 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM
SLS isn't evil for most people. However, the CWC is probably too gentle for oily hair. Try just SC for a while since you used to not use conditioner. Shampoo bars, I love them personally, but they aren't super cleansing. Gently, yes, but not overly. Dilute your shampoo if you wish.