PDA

View Full Version : Halp!!! (Wedding hair!!)

Auryn
October 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I'm getting married in 3 weeks and have NO IDEA what to do with my hair.

I just recently had it layered to give it some volume and movement. Longest layer is right at APL with the shortest being about an inch above that. I've come to the conclusion that for some odd reason I no longer have curly hair like I used to have, it barely even qualifies as wavy. It's very fine and I have almost no volume to it at all.

The only idea that I've come up with is to pull part of it back and secure it with a barrette so that I have something to anchor my veil to and then maybe getting some sparkly clips or pins to decorate the top of the veil.

Under normal circumstances, I would have it professionally done, but I'm having a "destination" wedding and don't know any stylists that would be willing to come do my hair at 5am.

Any and All ideas welcome!

kwaniesiam
October 11th, 2009, 08:54 PM
If you wanted to wear it up, a sockbun with some loose, curled strands framing your face would be a good option.

Stephichan
October 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Yay, weddings! Congrats!

Now that I got that out of my system: You could try doing some rag curls, or pin curls, or small buns high on your head the night before to give you some waves/curls, if you're so desiring. A few weeks ago I slept in two high buns, took them out in the morning and did a half-up securing with a small jaw clip.

Another thing I sometimes do to my hair is take two sections from the front on either side of my head and braid them before pulling them back into a pollyana (or half-ponytail). I typically get a few compliments when I do that.

Lyttle Lox
October 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Sorry.. I'm too excited to hear of your wedding to be of any creative assistance.. :D.. I'm in in love and it gets me all tingly.. tehe :crush:
I thought I'd congratulate you hope others and be of more help :flower:

klcqtee
October 11th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I hear Nightshade had something cute for her wedding, so you might head on over to her album to see if she's got pictures.

Personally, I love a half up. I'd plop at night (wash hair, while still dripping wet, stuff under a giant claw clip, ridiculously high on your head - it will look like a claw clip Mohawk!) Then I take it down in the morning, and it give me pretty waves, without losing too much length. Test this out, before your wedding! I'm sure you will try it all out first, but I only suggest this because I don't know how it will work with your wave pattern. It's perfect for mine, and holds well, but it may just be frizzy and weird in your hair...

I'd do a half up bun, and put tiny white flowers in your bun, (or whatever colour your wedding is).

Or! You could do a Gibson tuck (they're awesome at our length) and take a flower from your bouquet, and pin it right above the "tuck" part, and tucking it into the void where you put the ponytail. It'd be adorable!

Also, congratulations! I hope you live happily together forever.

Gothic Lolita
October 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Congrats for you wedding! I'm sure you'll look amazing.

What about this hairstyle, presented by Torrin Page:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u4neDtqsDk&feature=channel

It's easy, wouldn't take a lot of time and you can secure a veil to it easily and decorate it with pretty combs, barrettes, etc.
And be sure to make a pic and show it! I love looking at wedding hair, it's giving inspirations each time how my hair could probably look when the day comes for me.

mbaker223
October 12th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I agree with Stephichan, rag curls are super EASY and look very beautiful! They cause NO damage to the hair as no products or heat is needed for the curls to stay put. Not to mention they are cheap as can be!

Just make sure that you watch a tut vid on youtube to see how to put them in, Torrin Page is a great resource :) And don't forget to try them once before your wedding day to see how you like them. My one little tip is when you are cutting up the rags, don't make them too slim... you have to be able to make the cloth into a tube shape :)

Congratulations I hope this helps you!

embee
October 12th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I think your biggest project will be getting the veil to stay on! At least it was mine. ;) For that reason I'd recommend a good solid half-up or secure no-slip barrette holding a good part of your hair. Have some clear small combs sewn to your veil so you can tuck them into that half up in hopes of keeping the veil from sliding away mid-ceremony. Practice, practice, practice - the hair will probably be recalcitrant the day of the wedding. ;)

Even a full updo with a few curled bits by your face would be charming.... and might be easier to work with for the veil. For this event a bit of styling gel or whatever it takes - hairspray, etc. - may be in order. A curling iron, borrowed from a friend?

mwedzi
October 12th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I don't have a particular suggestion, but if you go to YouTube and search for "formal hairstyle" and then sort by rating, you'll get lots of cute style tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=formal+hairstyles&search_sort=video_avg_rating

Auryn
October 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks guys!..erm I mean girls!

I did some digging and found a website that has step by step instructions for some really cute wedding updos.

http://www.weddinghair.com/html04/mediumhair.html

I like the very first one and it looks fairly easy to do. I may or may not do the tiara (I don't like the one in the photo). Of course my hair is a bit longer than the girls, but I think I can make it work.

JamieLeigh
October 12th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Congratulations!! :flower: :cake: I hope you have a wonderful life together!

I haven't had APL hair since I was about 3 years old, so I'm not going to be much use, advice wise. :p But I did want to come and say congrats.

GoddesJourney
October 12th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Because you have straight, fine, and thin hair, I would go with the sock but idea with some little curls framing your face and maybe a couple hanging from the bun itself. A lot of little complicated things will make your hair look thinner and shorter unless they're really volumizing somehow. Sockbuns trick the eye!