PDA

View Full Version : Mayo in your hair

maaria
October 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Why and how do you use mayo in your hair??:confused:
I have never test it, I think the smell of it is not my kind of hair perfume!! It maybe dissapears after a while??

Calista
October 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I always said I would never use mayo in my hair. Until I cleaned out my fridge in preparation for our holiday, and I wanted to use up some mayo and yoghurt.

You read my blog, so you already know this, but: Never again! :scared:

To answer your original question: You use it as a protein treatment. Mayo contains a lot of eggs, so if your hair lacks protein it is supposed to be good for you. But there are other protein treatments out there, so you don´t have to use mayo. If you take my advice, you won´t. ;)

In Germany we eat our French fries (Pommes Frites) with mayo. Do you do that in Sweden, too?

eadwine
October 11th, 2009, 03:04 PM
DO note that it IS different mayo than regular though. We call it mayo but it is actually a special sauce for the fries :) Tastes a wee bit different.

Calista
October 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I didn´t realize that you were also located in Germany, eadwine. ;) Please note: In Germany we have regular mayonnaise with our French fries.

redneckprincess
October 11th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I eat mayo with my fries.....is that what your talking about?

getoffmyskittle
October 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I used to use mayo in my hair. I am talking about American mayo, the one that's egg, oil, and vinegar. I would wet my hair down, glob mayo through it until it was all coated, tie it up in a bag, leave it in for an hour, then wash it out. It made my hair really soft and shiny. I stopped using it because of the smell. :shrug:

Merewen
October 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM
The smell does NOT go away. Only did it once. Blech.

82exoticbeauty
October 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I've done it before since Spring time! It makes hair soft, but the smell gets strong and the ants loves the smell! So I decided to stick to oiling hair and deep conditioning!

maaria
October 12th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Ok, thanx everybody, I think I skip the mayo:p

twilight_faerie
October 12th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I've never used mayo in my hair, and don't think I ever would, but I do know of someone who did. She left it on waaaaaaaay too long and her hair became permanently greasy. She had to cut it all off.

getoffmyskittle
October 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I've never used mayo in my hair, and don't think I ever would, but I do know of someone who did. She left it on waaaaaaaay too long and her hair became permanently greasy. She had to cut it all off.

Huh? How is that even possible? It's just olive oil, or sometimes soybean oil I think. :crazyq:

heidi w.
October 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM

That was unnecessary. She only had to clarify.

I've used mayo historically for 10 years. Water temp matters; the mayo brand you use matters. I used to wrap the hair in plastic and leave on for 60 minutes (1 hour). Rinse very well in warm water and follow with ACV rinse.

THEN follow with coconut oil (in my case, once air dried).

Perfect. No smell. No greasiness (only applied to length, never scalp hair). I used Best Foods (US brand) Mayonnaise. Midwest and East coast have Hellmans. Not sure of results with that.

Can try making your own mayo, though!

heidi w.

whiteisle
October 12th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Another bad experience with mayo here. Never, never, never again. It was a pain in the you-know-what to wash out and left a bad smell. Blech!

tja
October 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Yes, I also tried it...after seeing Julia Roberts doing it in a movie, LOL! At first I thought it was funny but then, if you think about it mayo has eggs, oil, lemon and/or vinegar which are all good for the hair (minus the preservatives).

When I tried it it didn't do anything better for my hair than a good oil treatment.

PS: by the way, how comes if mayo is made with eggs it has 0 proteins??? Read the Nutrition Facts label...scary :(

Elphie
October 13th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I've used Hellman's before and didn't have a problem with overly greasy hair or odor. A little goes a long way!

jojo
October 15th, 2009, 12:09 PM
It stinks, much better mixed with garlic puree and eated with chips or pringles!

Dont know if that makes hair nice but it makes my mouth water just thinking of it!!