PDA

View Full Version : go back super short?

kam984420
October 11th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Back before i joined in Dec. 08 i had a buzz cut on the sides and left the top a little longer to where it looked professional since i was trying to get back into my chosen career field. Here recently i've had thoughts about going back super short since my relatives have been harassing me about my long hair. (Im a guy). :( I like long hair, just NOT on me. If i do go back super short, i'll still post here regularly.:)

Gumball
October 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM
If you do it make sure it's really for you, since your post makes it seem like the thought was created due to pressure from those around you. Antagonizing sometimes has that effect. I went easily through a year or two of flak before my family and some of those around me finally gave up trying. Now they're used to my hair, and most no longer have a negative opinion. Some really like the look now. I think it's like getting used to something new that you weren't used to before.

Toadstool
October 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
It depends on whether it's for you or your relatives.(sorry to repeat what you said Gumball!)
It's unclear from your post which it is, maybe you yourself don't know?

Kaamos
October 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
:( I'm sorry you have to face harassment because of your long hair.

Whatever you do, do it because YOU want it, not because of somebody else! Good luck :)

mbaker223
October 11th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'm in total agreement with gumball. Make sure you do it for you and not for anyone else. Life is too short to try and please everyone, especially since that isn't even a feasible goal. You do what makes you happy :) And we'll all be here no matter what you choose.

kam984420
October 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys. I have a cousin who i havent seen for awhile. Who i know will harass me when he sees me at thanksgiving if i dont cut before.

Gumball
October 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys. I have a cousin who i havent seen for awhile. Who i know will harass me when he sees me at thanksgiving if i dont cut before.

If it's so likely that he will harass you regarding your hair, then it's possible the personality would breed some sort of subject for harassment anyway. Sometimes people can look for things to hound someone about. The more you get comfortable in your own skin, the less that those around you (in many regards) will really get to you. It's sometimes, in my experience, easier to let certain things get to you if you yourself aren't as comfortable with it yet.

natt i nord
October 11th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Think about the two week - rule: Cutting off is very fast, growing back takes time ;)

I hope you find a length that works for you!

kam984420
October 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Think about the two week - rule: Cutting off is very fast, growing back takes time ;)

I hope you find a length that works for you!

thanks!!!!

MirandaWelch
October 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I agree with everyone else :)

It's your hair and your cousin doesn't deserve the importance you'd be giving him by cutting off.

Peggy E.
October 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM
If you know your cousin's going to give you a hard time, you are prepared to stand up to him. Tell the guy to grow up!

You have down that your goal is waist-length hair. You have a little way to go, yet it sounds like you are doing well and like growing your hair. So, you see this individual for a couple of hours one day and you allow this short-term meeting erace months of hard work and set you way back. Why? This guy's not worth it!

Knowing what you'll be facing means you are able to prepare, to toughen up so he'll not be able to ruin your gathering. Just tell him you like your hair, you're happy with your life and move on - if he can't get a rise out of you, it will be no fun and he'll let it go. He'll only end up making himself look dumber than he already is!

Now, if you absolutely honestly because YOU want to cut you hair - give it that two-week rule and hold off. If at the end of two weeks you still feel like the scissors are calling out to you, then do what it is that makes YOU happy!

We really are not a bunch of "short hair haters!" We love our long hair and helping grow it long and healthy - but the object of this community is to build strong, confident individuals and you don't have to have long hair to fall into this category.

Good luck to you in whatever decision you make!

Elphie
October 11th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I think anyone here would truly encourage you if short hair was what YOU wanted, but from the tone of your posts, it sounds like you just don't want to put up with being hounded (understandbly so!). Make sure you are doing things for your own reasons and that YOU will be happy in the end. Making other people happy is short-lived and not very satisfying over the long haul.

Roseate
October 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM

I agree!

Also, if you have just hit shoulder, you have just gotten through the really hard part. Now you can put it back in a ponytail and soon a braid, instead of having it shaggy around your face all the time, and it will draw less attention from nagging relatives if it's up and out of the way.

Think about it, and make sure you're happy with your decision- and enjoy whatever length you choose! :)

GlassEyes
October 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I think anyone here would truly encourage you if short hair was what YOU wanted, but from the tone of your posts, it sounds like you just don't want to put up with being hounded (understandbly so!). Make sure you are doing things for your own reasons and that YOU will be happy in the end. Making other people happy is short-lived and not very satisfying over the long haul.
Dittoed. Completely and utterly dittoed.

Well, actually, some people would probably still say otherwise, but that doesn't matter. Go with what you want, not others. They'll just find something else to harass you about anyway. I know the next time I see my father's family I'm going to be harassed about my hair, but they won't be able to get me to cut my hair. :D It's all about what you want.

kam984420
October 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I agree!

Also, if you have just hit shoulder, you have just gotten through the really hard part. Now you can put it back in a ponytail and soon a braid, instead of having it shaggy around your face all the time, and it will draw less attention from nagging relatives if it's up and out of the way.

:)

If i want to pull it back in a braid, i'll have to learn how to braid it first LOL:)

Stubborn
October 11th, 2009, 02:00 PM
It sounds like you let up too easily. I would have cut my hair 6 months of growth if I cared about what others thought I should look like. Like everyone else said, do it for you and only you. If you're cutting for a cousin you rarely see then I don't think you were meant for longhair...

kam984420
October 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM
bumps thread up

elianne
October 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM

I totally agree with this (and second what everyone else has said -- do what makes YOU happy). When I was growing out a bad short hair cut, it got so much easier after shoulder length. You'll be able to pull it back, bun it, and braid it now!

You mentioned that you like long hair, just not on you... maybe once you're able to try a variety of styles you'll be able to find one that you like the look of? Also, have you tried different products (conditioners, styling products, treatments etc)? Maybe trying different products will help with the texture/styling of your hair?

Of course, I absolutely don't mean to put any pressure on to keep your hair long! I (and I think everyone else here at LHC) just want you to be happy at whatever length! :)

smilinjenn71
October 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Our youngest son's hair is long. For a good while it was bothering him when people would mistake him for a girl OR give him a hard time because it was long. We advised him to basically "get over" the fact that people were going to make such comments because our society is so used to seeing males with short hair.

We also told the grandparents/aunts/uncles to lay off. The deal is that as long as he has a good attitude and is making good grades in school and good choices with his friends, he can keep his long hair. The family seemed to understand that we, as his parents, didn't have problems with his hair being long, provided he behaves appropriately and responsibly. This also includes keeping it clean and combed.

Now, given your age, there probably won't be others to stand up for you the way we did with our son. However, that certainly doesn't mean you can't stand up for yourself. As matter of fact you should absolutely stand up for yourself. YOU are an ADULT and capable of making your own choices and decisions. Don't be afraid to tell others that either!!!

Good luck and if you decide to cut in 2 weeks, hopefully you will be doing so based on what YOU want....not what others want for you.

***Oh and obviously I don't have issues with short hair since mine was pixie for 12 yrs...hehe***

Amraann
October 11th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I do not think you should cut it because of what others think.
Only do it if its what YOU want.
After all its your hair and you are the one who has to like the decision you make:)

longhairedfairy
October 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I agree with others here that you should do whatever suits you, not the people that harrass you. (At the risk of offending, although it's not intended to) Why do they think they are so important that their opinion of your hair even matters? I think they should get over themselves.

kam984420
October 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
thanks guys!!!!!:)

JamieLeigh
October 12th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Aww...I was enjoying watching your hair progress....but if it would make you happy, then go for it. At least you gave it a good shot, right? :) BUT only if it's for YOU and not for your RELATIVES. You're not here to decorate their world! :flower:

kam984420
October 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
ok guys time to update. I went through with the cut since my hair was constantly in my eyes at work. I couldnt stand it. I CUT IT OFF.:o

halo_tightens
October 23rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
Hey, as long as you're happy with it, then I'm happy for you!

So... how are you feeling post-chop? :)

kam984420
October 23rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hey, as long as you're happy with it, then I'm happy for you!

So... how are you feeling post-chop? :)

Good. I got tired of it in my eyes while im at work everyday and it makes my job easier.

Fractalsofhair
October 23rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hmm, if your hair was constantly in your eyes, you could look into gradually growing it out(allowing you to have bangs and other means of avoiding the hair in the eye syndrome) and pinning it back with dull colored bobby pins? Anyways, I'm glad you like your new cut!

kdaniels8811
October 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM
Ummm ... guys with long hair are HOT!!! (and my so is bald, go figure....)

smilinjenn71
October 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm glad you are happy with your choice!:)

natorade
October 23rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
ok guys time to update. I went through with the cut since my hair was constantly in my eyes at work. I couldnt stand it. I CUT IT OFF.:o
awww you could have mailed it to me :) I need hair... So, do you like it?

ravenreed
October 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
If you want to cut it short for a job, I understand... people have to eat. But for a cousin you see at Thanksgiving? Bleh. Tell him off, or just wear a hat... something. It seems a shame to cut your hair for just that.

I know guys have a much harder time with the stigma against long hair, especially in certain parts of the country. (I lived in two places where it didn't much matter, Southern California and now Albuquerque NM.) You are going to eventually have to figure out if you are up to standing up to the crud you are going to get for having your hair long or not. That will determine what you do.

kam984420
October 24th, 2009, 10:46 AM
awww you could have mailed it to me :) I need hair... So, do you like it?

kinda she cut it a little shorter than what i wanted.:(

kam984420
October 24th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I know guys have a much harder time with the stigma against long hair, especially in certain parts of the country. (I lived in two places where it didn't much matter, Southern California and now Albuquerque NM.) You are going to eventually have to figure out if you are up to standing up to the crud you are going to get for having your hair long or not. That will determine what you do.

At some point I WILL GROW IT OUT waist length. :)It might have to wait till i move somewhere where nobody knows me.:(