PDA

View Full Version : Making a Comeback

luckofthedraw
October 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hi all! I am a new member who found you yesterday, looking for some help with growing out hair. Up until April 30th of this year, I had BSL+ thick golden-red wavy hair. I was diagnosed with cancer in January, and had my first chemo in April. Once the hair starting coming out, I went to a barbershop and had myself "scalped".

I have now finished chemo, but have some concerns about how my hair is coming back. It's only about 3/4" long, but it's coming back dark brown (with some gray) and straight. Not that there is anything wrong with straight brown hair, but for someone who has always been known as a vivacious red-head, it doesn't "feel" like me. So how would you encourage hair to grow back the way it used to be???

Here's what I do now. I've discovered that a lot of people here do similar things, so I feel like I may have found some kindred souls.

Scalpwash: distilled water with a small amount of borax and liquid iodine. (This is also my body wash and hand sanitizer). I use it on my scalp once every week or so.

Conditioner: spray bottle filled with emu oil, EV coconut oil, EV olive oil, small amount of liquid germanium. I use this several times a day, every day.

I also take biotin.

I do have my hair that was cut off. Actually, I have several good lengths of hair that I have given to friends when they have been diagnosed. Locks Of Love rudely blew me off years ago when I attempted to donate to them, so I have given the hair to others for wigs.

I looked into having a wig made out of my own hair, but that cost is well into the thousands. *shock* That would explain why others have never used the hair I have given them for wigs. Extensions are a possibility, but my hair is still way too thin, and not quite long enough.

Now that winter is arriving, I just want my hair back. Due to diagnosis, I have to be very careful about what goes onto my body. So hair dye is out. Not that I've ever seen my color of hair in a dye any way....

So what would you do? Yes, I may eventually embrace the brown, but I'd rather just be normal (for me, at least).

Yayasmurf
October 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Cancer treatment hair has a mind of it's own. I'm sure one of the lovely ladies here can advise you. I just wanted to say I'm glad you are doing well and hope you continue to improve :)

Welcome to the forum :D

Kris Dove
October 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I have no personal experience with this but I am glad you are recovering wish you all the best.
Perhaps some sort of henna treatment might give you your old colour back- now, I'm not sure if it's okay or not, but I've read that it is safe for pregnancy however so it might be okay for this too? Hopefully another member with more experience will be able to advise you better.

Carolyn
October 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure if it would happen to everyone but 2 of my friends who lost their hair to chemo eventually got their original color and texture back. At first their new growth came in a different color and texture but it slowly returned to normal. I hope that gives you a ray of hope.

amoulixes
October 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go through chemo, but congratulations on getting through it and I hope you continue to improve and live a long life :)

A teacher of mine in high school had the go through chemo. She already had white hair when she was diagnosed with cancer. For a while, her hair turned pink (I think the chemo contains a dye that does this) and then eventually fell out as it often does. I think it's normal to have changes in hair, including hairs on the rest of your body. Another poster mentioned that it should return to "normal," and I agree. Maybe more research is needed on what chemo does to hair, than trying to find a different or "better" routine. The best way to get it back to the way it was is probably doing the same things you did before you lost it.

Good luck to you :)

Niftytiffs
October 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Congrats on getting through your treatment and long may good health be yours! I dont really have much advice regarding your hair as I'm just a newbie here but welcome to the forum too! :)

Tiffers

JamieLeigh
October 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Welcome to the site, many well-wishes for your health! :flower: It's very common for hair that has been lost to grow back in a different color or texture. A lot of it has to do with what chemicals and vitamins are in your system now. If you find yourself missing your red locks, henna is a very safe and natural option, and you'll find lots of hints and advice here on that subject.

Locks of Love "rudely blew you off"? I've got to say I'm intrigued by this sentence - usually they are all about grabbing up someone's hair for their evil purposes....or so we hear. :confused: