PDA

View Full Version : My Hair Secret

mbaker223
October 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Okay so it happened, you had to wash your hair too much this week. Either you got it wet when swimming, got gum in it, or had a baby spit up over your shoulder.

So I've had this happen a LOT. Here's what I do.

I wait until my NEXT wash after the incident. And the night before my scheduled wash I take a page from AA hair care. I grease my scalp. Here's how:

First, choose your favorite hair oil and oil all of your length like you normally would. Then you part your hair in 1/2" - 1" sections and dip your finger in the grease and get a TINY amount and you slide your finger down your part making sure to get most of the grease on the scalp and not the hair. Then repeat until your head is fully greased. Then take your fingers and just massage it into your scalp, cover your head with a towel or bag and go to sleep. Next day wash with shampoo, you need shampoo if you want the grease to come out in one wash... also if you use too much grease... it will take more than one was so use sparingly!

There are many MANY MANY different kinds of hair grease, I use Softee Coconut oil.... http://www.softeeproducts.com/images/coconutOil.jpg
you can do some research on the ingredients and find a hair grease that fits your hair's temperament, there truly are plenty out there to choose from.

I hope this helps someone who has over dried hair like me :)

Heidi_234
October 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I tried to look up the ingredient list out of sheer curiosity, this is what I've found (http://estore.websitepros.com/765664/Detail.bok?no=451):

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Cocos Nuciferas (Coconut) Oil, Simmondsia, Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Paraffin, Mineral Oil, Fragrance, BHT

I'd be very wary from using it. Organic coconut oil and jojoba oil are very easy to find (and cheap too), and if mixing them work for you, I'd go by that route.

Shiva
October 11th, 2009, 12:26 PM
That was the first coconut oil I had ever bought when I started looking for coconut oil. It does have Petrolatum and Mineral Oil, like Heidi says... the first time I used it it worked ok, but I noticed much better results with straight up coconut oil.

I'll have to try your hair secret sometime. ;)

I love greasing-out my hair, tho. It feels so righteous!

Carolyn
October 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I love heavy over night oilings but I just use plain old coconut oil or olive oil. If I have a hair incident, I don't wait until my next planned wash. I wash that night and resume the wash schedule. No way could I stand not to wash out baby spit up. I too would be afraid of those ingredients. Years ago I had quite a time getting mineral oil out of my hair.

Elphie
October 11th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I did a heavy oiling with my favorite organic coconut oil last night. I love my hair today. Makes me wonder why I don't do this more often.

aisling
October 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I and many others here have noticed that a heavy oiling like the one you do, is often most easily removed by doing a CO, not a shampoo wash. Of course, with a oil mix with such ingredients, maybe you'll need shampoo, but more natural oils are often easily removed with just a CO wash.

goddesslynne
October 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I rarely need a 2nd shampoo (non-sls) when I do light or heavy oiling with virgin coconut oil.

Vijikanth
October 13th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I wash my hair daily and apply coconut oil. Since the oil seems to be a bit thick, I recently switched to Amla(goosberry) oil and it did its magic. The hair is soft as ever and bouncy. I have curly wavy hair..

Lyttle Lox
October 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I know many people who have done this (greasing) for years and have healthy hair.. and I'd doubt there'd be any problem since it'd be washed out the next day

Flynn
October 13th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I tried to look up the ingredient list out of sheer curiosity, this is what I've found (http://estore.websitepros.com/765664/Detail.bok?no=451):

I'd be very wary from using it. Organic coconut oil and jojoba oil are very easy to find (and cheap too), and if mixing them work for you, I'd go by that route.

Mineral oil works great for some people. (I've grown rather fond of it myself, actually... Can get a bit on the heavy side for me, though.) I'm sure mbaker is aware she's not using pure coconut oil.

If it works, it works.

The method is a good idea; it's a variation on the heavy oilings a few of us on here already do. ^__^

I and many others here have noticed that a heavy oiling like the one you do, is often most easily removed by doing a CO, not a shampoo wash. Of course, with a oil mix with such ingredients, maybe you'll need shampoo, but more natural oils are often easily removed with just a CO wash.

I'd like to observe that that depends heavily on the conditioner you are using, and possibly also on your hair, as well as on the oil you put in. Some just will not shift oil. I know it works for a lot of people who CO, but with the conditioners I use my experience has been quite the opposite. I think the structure of my hair may come into play to a degree, too, as I know of at least one person who has found walnut oil, (my favourite oil -- it's so light!), can be largely removed with water alone. My experience runs counter to this as well; to clean out a heavy oiling, I need shampoo, or I need to accept that I will have oily lengths for a week to a fortnight afterward. Even a light oiling lingers for a few washes.

With a normal detergent shampoo compared to a conditioner that is effective at cleaning, if used in the same way you will find that the shampoo will remove the oil more efficiently. This is just chemistry. The difference may only be tiny; it's quite possible that for all intents and purposes they are the same, but when used in an identical manner, the conditioner simply will not be more effective. Any advantage in CO washing over shampooing in removing oils is down to a difference in the washing process.

Heidi_234
October 13th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Mineral oil works great for some people. (I've grown rather fond of it myself, actually... Can get a bit on the heavy side for me, though.) I'm sure mbaker is aware she's not using pure coconut oil.

If it works, it works.
I was just giving a heads up for the OP and anyone else who might have read. I'm glad mineral oil works well for you, but for some people, me included, mineral oil is definitely an ingredient to avoid.

Flynn
October 13th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I was just giving a heads up for the OP and anyone else who might have read. I'm glad mineral oil works well for you, but for some people, me included, mineral oil is definitely an ingredient to avoid.

Ooh, yeah, I know; it's just like 'cones. There's an absolute nightmare for me, but plenty of others love 'em. Just pointing out, though, that there's nothing inherently wrong with a mineral oil product.

GlassEyes
October 13th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I'm with Flynn--I have a growing fondness for mineral oil, and surprisingly, petrolatum. THE HORROR! D:

I used to avoid both, now I don't. xD; Not all the time, anyway.

That said, erm, if a baby spit up in my hair, I'd be shampooing it twice. That night. Possibly within the first five seconds afterward. Maybe with dish soap, if need be.

I'm also a CO washer in general, if that gives you any hint. XD;

Smokering
October 13th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Ach. Good clean breastfed baby spit-up could be considered a protein treatment. :p Of course, I just slathered yoghurt on my head, so take that with a grain of... dairy. Or something.

Wicked Princess
October 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Yet another person stepping in to say that pure coconut oil gives me fantastic results if I heavily oil my hair with it the night before, or several hours before (if I take a shower at night) washing it. And it comes with the benefit of being quite cheap! :)

I haven't put oil on my scalp many times, though. Whenever I try it, it makes my scalp feel uncomfortable.

shadowclaw
October 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I love oiling my hair, but I very rarely do it. All this talk about oil though makes want to slather my head in it. Coconut oil is the greatest! For me, anyway :) My fiance says I look like I'm going from the grunge look when I doing a deep oiling.

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I also love coconut oil - I take a little tiny pinch of it and a little tiny pinch of shea butter and rub them in my palms to melt them together and then smooth it on my ends. And my fingernail cuticles!