PDA

View Full Version : Knot in a single strand

ilovelonghair
April 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
How does that happen? I often find knots in a single hair. I thought you had to cut it off, just like split ends. Or just leave it?

florenonite
April 20th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I cut them off, because if you leave it sometimes it tangles with other hairs creating a bigger knot.

They're called 'fairy' knots, if I recall correctly, because they're so small it's as though a fairy tied them in your hair. Just a random bit of trivia because I'm a nerd like that ^_^

jojo
April 20th, 2008, 08:38 AM
yes i call them fairy knots too, i think its the wind which causes them, i get them too and just snip them off.

Kittee
April 20th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Fairy knot! They get in your hair and play games with you while you sleep!

Raederle
April 20th, 2008, 08:54 AM
When I'm feeling totally anal, I tease that type of knot out. It takes some patience, but usually, the hair is just fine.

Silver & Gold
April 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I've had that happen to me a couple of times. It always boggles my mind - how on earth did that happen. Faeries do seem to be the culprits.
I've generally been able to work mine out but if it's very close to the end I don't feel bad to just nip it off.

spidermom
April 20th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Faeries? Nah..........it's those nasty little brownies that do it.

asantegold
April 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I get these all the time. I think it's from the hair coiling around itself. I leave mine alone because if I started cutting al of them, I'd probably go bald :lol:

Anje
April 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I get a few of them (I'm sure not as many as I would if I had curly hair). I generally cut them out because I think they encourage more tangles to form, like split ends. I've occasionally teased them apart, but the hair tends to have a sharp kinky tangly bit that catches other hairs, I stopped doing that.

Tresses
April 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
They can be the result of detangling, if a hair was looped around another hair and that hair is pulled out of the tangle. (I'm sure there's a more elegant way to say that...I'm just not sure what it is. :ponder: )

I get them, too, and always cut them out. They just make it easier for more knots to form.

1nuitblanche
April 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
When I get them, I always cut them off because otherwise I get a funny kink on that strand of hair and it will break off anyways.

Neoma
April 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM
They can be the result of detangling, if a hair was looped around another hair and that hair is pulled out of the tangle. (I'm sure there's a more elegant way to say that...I'm just not sure what it is. :ponder: )

Actually, Tresses, I think that's an excellent explanation.

I always wondered how they happen. I don't get many fairy knots, but, when I do, I wonder how in the heck they form.

It's like when I take pick my necklace off the dresser. When I took it off the night before, it was tangle-free. When I pick it up, it has a knot in it and I have to ask DH to untangle it for me.

Darn fairies!:demon:

Riot Crrl
April 20th, 2008, 04:39 PM
It can also be a result of wearing curlyish hair down. Curly hair curls, and loops are the precursor of knots. If I find one I cut it off, else it will eventually break and split.

Elenna
April 20th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Are they really knots or white dots (breakage)?

Tresses
April 20th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Are they really knots or white dots (breakage)?

They are really knots. Teeny-tiny knots that will look like a ball, the same color as your hair, somewhere along your hair strand.

Meli
April 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I rarely get them, but when it does happen I snip them off. If I untie them, I only get a kinky bend that is more breakage-prone anyway.

coppercurls
April 20th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Fairy knots are the pits! I get the itty bitty knots way to often for my liking. When I find one I just snip it off.

cuddledumplin
April 20th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Any mention of fairy knots makes me think of Mercutio's famous Queen Mab speech from Romeo and Juliet in which he states (I omitted all that wasn't about hair):

This is that very Mab
That plaits the manes of horses in the night,
And bakes the elflocks in foul sluttish hairs,
Which once untangled, much misfortune bodes:
This is the hag, when maids lie on their backs,
That presses them and learns them first to bear,
Making them women of good carriage:
This is she—

ilovelonghair
April 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM
yes i call them fairy knots too, i think its the wind which causes them, i get them too and just snip them off.

Can't be the wind, I'm wearing my hair up for 4 months now and still get them. Maybe I get them from the updo's?

MoonSong
April 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM
Can't be the wind, I'm wearing my hair up for 4 months now and still get them. Maybe I get them from the updo's?

Witch knots is what my granny used to call them. Scared the begibbers out of me when she first told me.

My oldest gets them sometimes, and he has short hair. I always figured it was just from moving around in your sleep.

florenonite
April 21st, 2008, 03:16 AM
Any mention of fairy knots makes me think of Mercutio's famous Queen Mab speech from Romeo and Juliet in which he states (I omitted all that wasn't about hair):

This is that very Mab
That plaits the manes of horses in the night,
And bakes the elflocks in foul sluttish hairs,
Which once untangled, much misfortune bodes:
This is the hag, when maids lie on their backs,
That presses them and learns them first to bear,
Making them women of good carriage:
This is she—

:D I like Shakespeare xD