PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Tyra Makeover

LaurelSpring
October 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM
I dont know if anyone has posted this yet but I just saw it on youtube. I think this should be classified as abuse. I was totally mortified. I cried at this and felt like throwing up. I cant believe the singers were chanting chop it. It felt like some sort of witch hunt.

{Link removed}

GlassEyes
October 11th, 2009, 07:59 AM
The Tyra Banks show can often make me want to throw up, but usually not their makeover shows. Not that I make a habit of watching it.

Anyway, it's mob mentality. Put something forth to a large group of people in a setting that they'll go for it like a chunk of meat dangled before wild, starving beasts, and they'll then proceed to go for said hunk of meat.

It might be disgusting, but it is what it is. :shrug: In the real world, people are often happy to go on those shows because they don't feel they look 'right'. Though the effect that celebrity has on people could make them go on the show simply for the 'glamour' of it, they usually know what they're getting into. In this case, I feel no more horror than what she'd feel if she didn't like it.

lapushka
October 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM
WTH is this?! Tyra's cutting it herself, and badly too. That's what's so disturbing to me. And this after she's admitted having it once cut into a bob (cut well probably) and regretting it? She's not in her right mind either IMO. Did they pay her to do this, I wonder? It's all about shock value isn't it? :rolleyes:

Honey39
October 11th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Is that for real????? That was horrible. I mean, really horrible. The video cut out at the end though, so not sure or not.

I think it was just so weird to see a presenter hacking happily into hair, I thought she was going to cut the poor girl's nose. It just seemed really unprofessional and odd to me.

noelgirl
October 11th, 2009, 08:09 AM
WTH is this?! Tyra's cutting it herself, and badly too. That's what's so disturbing to me. And this after she's admitted having it once cut into a bob (cut well probably) and regretting it? She's not in her right mind either IMO. Did they pay her to do this, I wonder?

That's what bothered me too, she's talking like she's a professional hairdresser when to my knowledge, she is not. By the way, wasn't someone here approached to do this show? And turned them down, for obvious reasons?

Lamb
October 11th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I watched 1:22 of it and probably lost a few braincells. I'm SO glad I don't own a tv.

Freija
October 11th, 2009, 08:27 AM
It got worse. I found the end result - not only did they chop her hair off, they left it looking frizzy and dead - in a ridiculous 1980s ear-length bob - and covered her face in make-up. The poor thing looked 'New-York' and 'downtown' all right - an '80s call-girl.

Unofficial_Rose
October 11th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Wow, that was horrible. The crowd are like baying hyenas. I really despise Tyra for behaving like this. How dare she do this when she's not a hairdresser? I also hate to see gentle people being taken advantage of. :eek:

smilinjenn71
October 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I have to say that when I see make-over posts here on LHC I generally do not agree that it is a terrible thing. Most people WANT the make-over, including getting their hair cut and colored. However, seeing Tyra cutting this girls hair was NOT COOL. She should have cut the ponytail off and then let a professional stylist step in to finish her cut and new look. While she admittedly wanted a change, I'm not sure she realized Tyra would be completing her new look. There is no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks I would have EVER agreed to that. Surely this girl would not have done so either, prior to the show.(??)

sally_neuf
October 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Her hair was just gorgeus. But hey, she DID choose to be in that show, is not like she was abducted on the street, so, she got the "change" she asked for... :(:poot: (Still, I agree, to be chopped by Tyra, I'd rather go to a beauty salon).

And just to know... 12 without cutting her hair? I guess she did trims, otherwise it'd be knee lenght or so.

GlassEyes
October 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Eh--yeah. Forgot to say that I found that part a bit odd and concerning. XD; But beyond that, I stick by what I said.

Except, thinking on it, I doubt that's what she agreed to. XD;

GlennaGirl
October 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I dont know if anyone has posted this yet but I just saw it on youtube. I think this should be classified as abuse. I was totally mortified. I cried at this and felt like throwing up. I cant believe the singers were chanting chop it. It felt like some sort of witch hunt.

{Link removed}

That was one of the weirdest "makeovers" I've ever seen. What with the rapping and chanting and Tyra dancing and all that stuff. And Tyra just sort of...jerking the scissors down. Um.

Konstifik
October 11th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Woah! Normally, I just disgust make-over-shows because they are so totally horrible, and the new look they get are usually worse than before. However, I don't feel sorry for the one getting the make-over, since s/he did it willingly (I hope!).

But this... I have no words! At least get a professional hairdresser to that girl! :eek:

And just to know... 12 without cutting her hair? I guess she did trims, otherwise it'd be knee lenght or so.

Not necessarily, I cut my hair to ear-length when I was around 11. Since then I only got occasional trims. Today I'm 21 years and APL. So there are really slow-growers out there. :)

Chrissy
October 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM
BLA BLA BLA SOS......These types of shows will be on for ever. These types of posts will be saying how surprised they are forever. I'm not demeaning the OP but...........this will always happen, people agree to it bla bla bla.......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GlassEyes
October 11th, 2009, 01:16 PM
BLA BLA BLA SOS......These types of shows will be on for ever. These types of posts will be saying how surprised they are forever. I'm not demeaning the OP but...........this will always happen, people agree to it bla bla bla.......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
You, erm, might want to watch it. I agree, but it is...well, somewhat unorthdox.

smilinjenn71
October 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
You, erm, might want to watch it. I agree, but it is...well, somewhat unorthdox.

I have to agree with GlassEyes. Not your 'typical' makeover rant.

shortgoinglong
October 11th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I see makeover shows a lot and have no problem with extreme hair cuts. There are some times in your life when you do need a change and that's up to them. However, Tyra should not have done it herself. A nice stylist would be nice.:D

goddesslynne
October 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I know I have an irrational, mostly un-founded dislike for Tyra (since I obviously don't know her nor do I watch her show if I can help it)...this clinches it even more!! That young woman had some of the prettiest hair!! What a shame...

Lamb
October 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
It looked like a Tyra-version of Lord of the Flies, really. It's not the fact that hair was cut that bothers me, but the tasteless, disgusting design. I was icked out, and if it had been a pet poodle getting a new furstyle, I'd feel the same.

Chrissy
October 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM
OK I did watch it. It was very very weird ALL OF IT!!!! The end was cut off though so I don't know how it turned out. I couldn't find a video of the whole thing. Also she was a teenager so I'll give her that. Since when does Tyra cut hair?

Shiva
October 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
It looked like a Tyra-version of Lord of the Flies, really. It's not the fact that hair was cut that bothers me, but the tasteless, disgusting design. I was icked out, and if it had been a pet poodle getting a new furstyle, I'd feel the same.

That's too funny! cuz that's exactly what it is, too.

I saw alot of the audience seemed to have rather longish hair... boy, they started acting like cannibals when she was indicating what length to cut to.

And how does Tyra (whom I really do despise - not just for the makeover stuff) get away with whacking anybody's hair without being a liscensed beautician??

GlassEyes
October 11th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Not a clue. I don't happen to hate her, but for all of her touted 'openmindedness' towards others, she can be a phenomenally insulting and closed-minded woman.

MadHatter
October 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I couldn't find the whole clip, either, so I don't know what the end result looked like. Where can I find it?
Something I've noticed about Tyra, is that she seems to think she's totally bad-ass. I suspect she felt she could turn out a nice looking haircut for this girl. She overestimates herself, though, going by the 80's call girl comment.
I hope she doesn't do something like this again. She really, obviously didn't know what she was doing. You wouldn't trim a hedge so roughly as what she was doing to this girl's hair. I agree that people who go for makeovers are doing it of their own volition, but I don't think this poor girl really knew what she was getting herself into.

Arctic
October 11th, 2009, 02:13 PM
If you go and find our members LadyLongLocks blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=53873), she has link to he whole hair cutting in her last comments page. She was contacted to go to this show and she didn't: You can read her experiencies from her latest blog. And I agree I feel sorry for that poor girl the hair cut was horrible and even the scissors were so dull and bad I just can't believe it!

Lamb, I don't have TV either and I don't know if this show is shown in my country or not.

ETA: added link

Shiva
October 11th, 2009, 02:16 PM
If you go and find our members LadyLongLocks blog (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=53873), she has link to he whole hair cutting in her last comments page. She was contacted to go to this show and she didn't: You can read her experiencies from her latest blog. And I agree I feel sorry for that poor girl the hair cut was horrible and even the scissors were so dull and bad I just can't believe it!

Lamb, I don't have TV either and I don't know if this show is shown in my country or not.

They did, didn't they? They seemed like scissors you would give a pre-schooler to cut construction paper with. eeeeeek

Heidi_234
October 11th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I usually stay clear of the makeover threads, but this one was just too bizarre. I'm not sure what was going on through her, the producer's and whoever made it the way it came out, minds. She looked like a maniac, and that was one horrible haircut.

adiapalic
October 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Crazy, ritualistic :bs:

Quixii
October 11th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Now I really want to see! I figured all hair make overs were the same, but based on your comments, this one is different.
Any clue why the link was removed, or how I could go about finding this specific make over?

goddesslynne
October 11th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I just YouTube'd it and found the clip with the hair cutting part. I didn't go any further to see the end result with the makeup.

MadHatter
October 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I'm still pretty curious to see the final result. What can I google to see it?

Peter
October 11th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Usually I don't bother with these threads but... this was something different. Wow.

The girl was beautiful, her hair was really pretty. :(

Fractalsofhair
October 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Just looking at the final result(or what I saw on the youtube clip.) the haircut looks horrid. The dry shampoo was pretty much FAIL. Her cutting style was pretty bad as well. You don't cut down generally for all but the final strokes and such. It also isn't a short chin length bob, but what most women would think of as "long" hair, or medium length hair. It just looked horrid though. It looked dry, fried and messed up after, and all frizzy. Before, it was long and shiny.

Olivia23
October 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I finally found the video and cannot find the end result which I'm sure is a disaster!!! Did you see the look on that poor girls face right before Tyra cut it? She had this "I'm not sure about this" look. Also Tyra said the girl had not cut her hair in 12 years due to a tramatic experience with a hair cut when she was five. What did Tyra think this hair cut would due to her? I mean all them people screaming to cut it and Tyra cutting it all over her head. I bet that was very traumatic!!!

marikamt
October 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I just looked at the clip on LadyLongLocks blog..... wow. Words escape me. That wasn't a haircut or a makeover..... that was horrible and sad. Her hair looked hacked and sawed.......... I am dumbfounded. It looked like a "mean girls" kinda thing........

florenonite
October 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Wow. It seems really cultish with the whole singing and audience involvement and everything. I haven't got a problem with people going and getting makeovers, if that's what they want, but this was creepy. And I was a bit surprised that Tyra was asking the audience how short it should be, rather than the girl getting the makeover; in most makeover shows the person receiving the makeover gets input into the cut, and IMO that's how it ought to be.

But, yeah, "creepy" is definitely a word that comes to mind here, something that I don't normally think of when I see makeover shows.

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Wow. That was absolutely disgusting. Poor kid had no idea what she was getting herself into...I can't believe her mother allowed that. She looked beautiful and age-appropriate before Tyra got her hands on her. I'm sure her hair was salvageable once she went home and took off the awful makeup and washed out all the product they put in there, but I'm sure she still hates it.

For those of you who wanted to see the final result, the results portion of the show is conspicuously absent from the internet at large, but the entire show is available on Tyra's site. I don't recommend going there, since I had to fill out a ton of advertising, sign-me-up-for-spam crap before the full video would be 'unlocked'. I used fake info to fill it all out, and took some pics of the screen with my camera. They are blurry, but less so than the screenshots I tried.

Here they are, if you really, really want to see. Ugh. Tyra Banks sickens me.

*clickable thumbnails if you want to see them larger - have your brain bleach ready*

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/th_e609fcf0.jpg (http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/e609fcf0.jpg)http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/th_08b25e34.jpg (http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/08b25e34.jpg)http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/th_7fe70c7c.jpg (http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/7fe70c7c.jpg)

Bellalalala
October 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
WTF?!!

I can't even put my finger on exactly what is so creepy about that footage, but it just seems....violent, somehow.

I don't know why, but it left me feeling very very uncomfortable.

krn2891
October 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I've been trying to find this on Youtube. Could someone PM with the link?

little_acorn
October 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I can't watch the footage (net nanny) but Hootie those pics are disturbing.

I'm actually glad I can't watch it as I tend to have a morbid fascination with these shows sometimes i.e. it comes on the TV (or I get a link) and I can't seem to stop myself watching it - then I nightmares eeek

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I've been trying to find this on Youtube. Could someone PM with the link?

PMed you.......

forgetmenotak
October 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
That was really disgusting, and watching Tyra just hacking into that girls hair was disgusting. I have never seen that cutting technique before and it just looks hard on the hair. I hate to say it this way but that was a hard lesson for the girl-- not everyone wants you to look good. Hopefully next time she'll be able to stand up to peer pressure, or have someone that will see this for what it was. A Spectacle.

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM
She went from a pretty teen to a frumpy thirty-something in under six minutes! That's gotta be a record!

That said, I have done exactly that with the chopping off the ponytail (well, actually, it was a plait, but still) and everything, and I gotta say, it was fun. If she knew what she was in for, then yeah, that's kind of a fun way to do it. The singers and everything were pretty creepy, but if you can remove from this situation the horror that many of us feel at this sort of thing, and think about it from the point of view of someone nervous and very excited about a very big change in their life, (as she is at least supposed to be...), well, it's not quite so creepy and cultish, and more party-like.

However, that's a shocker of a haircut. I hope the show is paying for her to go to a decent salon and get it fixed!

Amraann
October 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I saw the video but not the final result with the make up and clothes etc, until hootietoot posted the thumbnails.

All I can say is .... AWFUL! She was a naturally pretty girl and they made her look absolutely unattractive.
Who the heck let Tyra believe she knows how to cut hair?

Elenna
October 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I saw this on YouTube already. Maybe the girl wanted something different, was paid a lot of money, or thought that this was show business. Tyra had no respect for the girl's hair and did a butcher job (no other words can describe this) on her hair. The dry shampoo looked like a dust storm. The heavy make up didn't make any sense. And the clothes, well anything to keep the show ratings up. But truly before the hair cut and everything, she was beautiful.

I think of this as a hunter symptom to destroy anything remotely, naturally beautiful.

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM
^^^According to LadyLongLocks (who Tyra Banks' show have tried to recruit), they don't compensate these people for this. They should, though. :p At least for damages.

Of course, it's their choice to appear on the show, and they should watch it before they sign up. I guess it's fine if the victims are consenting adults. :shrug: This one is borderline to me...I wonder who talked her into it.

krn2891
October 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
those sissors had to be so dull because it look like it took a lot of effort for her to cut the hair. And that horrible slashing that she was doing looked more like she was more like ripping the hair apart.

Quixii
October 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
For whatever reason the sound wasn't working when I watched, but just the visual was awful enough. Tyra looked like she was a three year old playing with a Barbie's hair, not a real human being's. That's just awful. =(

Aer
October 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
That's sad. I usually find Tyra Banks entertaining, I don't watch her show, but I always liked her better then most models. I think the world is going crazy.

Little_Bird
October 11th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I wanna kill that women!

Really, picturing JJJ in that chair is just killing me... That girl was HUMILIATED, and I just can't believe how silly Tyra looks. She just doesn't know how to even hold the scissors properly, I have no idea where the heck she got the idea that she could do it...

The girl's hair was beautyfull... But oh well, it was her choice. Still, Tyra is a b****. Excuse my french.

And it did go to Locks of Love... :poot::poot::poot: on your face Tyra!
(had to get that off of me!)

Melisande
October 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I never saw a makeover show in my life so imagine me looking at the screen in horror, shock and disbelief. I also have no idea who this Tyra is but for sure she is no certified hair stylist. The poor girl was in shock. If I was her mother, I'd have jumped on the stage and saved my girl from trauma and disfigurement.

So there are such shows where people go and have themselves butchered publicly? Holy crap. I'm glad I stopped watching TV a long time ago (only movies on DVD and once a week a news program / and that's it).

This is really really horrible. The meanness of the audience was maybe the worst.

Amraann
October 11th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I think that Tyra suffers some mental illness.

She was enjoying ruining that girls hair.

Maybe since hers is a mess she is happy to ruin naturally pretty hair that someone else took the time to grow.

SimplyViki
October 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Melisande, yes, there are shows that have dramatic makeovers, but I have to say, they usually aren't this awful. I mean, the end result usually looks somewhat attractive and trendy. This... I don't even know what this is supposed to look like. This was a very strange makeover.

MadHatter
October 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Wow, hootie... the end result looks like.. a mess.

shadowclaw
October 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM
First, I read through LadyLongLock's blog that was linked and I am quite horrified that someone would ever want to cut off her gorgeous hair! It doesn't seem all that weird to me that people from the Tyra show surf YouTube for victims. I mean, they have to find them somewhere. However, it is weird and kind of dumb that they contacted people who obviously love their long hair.

Moving on to the subject at hand, that was a very odd makeover indeed. All the chanting and music... blech! I understand why people want to be on makeover shows. They like the lime light, like being in the presence of famous people, etc, but this was just ridiculous! Even if I wanted my hair cut and for whatever reason wanted tons of people to watch, I would have run for the hills once all the music and nonsense started. It was like a cult or a barbaric ceremony.

I do think that the audience seemed a bit leary once Tyra started doing the actual styling of the cut, where she did the crazy downward cuts. They showed one woman's face who looked absolutely disturbed yet intrigued by what was going on. I didn't see the end result, but it didn't seem to be going in a good direction. Tyra certainly seemed confident in her hair cutting abilities, but the results that I saw said otherwise. Also, I think it was a very bad sign when Tyra's first pair of scissors couldn't cut through the hair. Who cuts hair with dull scissors????

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM
those sissors had to be so dull because it look like it took a lot of effort for her to cut the hair. And that horrible slashing that she was doing looked more like she was more like ripping the hair apart.

Yes, but on a cut that sort, it doesn't really matter if you rip, razor, or slice the hair, because you'll need a maintenance cut before any damage becomes visible.

Everyone is complaining about them, but, really, these techniques are fine for short haircuts.

The result, though, was pretty ugly, but that has more to do with that Tyra person not having any taste or talent, rather than there being anything wrong with the methods employed.

Darkhorse1
October 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
A friend of mine was approached by the Tyra Banks show, as she has floor length hair, and she politely declined. They had the nerve to contact her again, saying 'it's only hair'.

Um, hello?? She said 'no thankyou!". *shakes head*

RavennaNight
October 11th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I think that Tyra suffers some mental illness.

She was enjoying ruining that girls hair.

Maybe since hers is a mess she is happy to ruin naturally pretty hair that someone else took the time to grow.

Wouldn't it be really demented if Tyra actually wasn't donating these unsuspecting girls hairs to LOL, but saving it for her own weave and extension collection? Or something sick like Elizabeth Bathory bathing in the blood of virgins to keep her youth?

Darkhorse1
October 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Can someone send me the link to this? I can't seem to locate it on youtube. Thanks!

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Wouldn't it be really demented if Tyra actually wasn't donating these unsuspecting girls hairs to LOL, but saving it for her own weave and extension collection? Or something sick like Elizabeth Bathory bathing in the blood of virgins to keep her youth?

^^^Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised. The same thing crossed my mind. That maniacal gleam in her eye when she was cutting that kid's hair...

Darkhorse1
October 11th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Since when is she a hair dresser? I hope the cut looked better at the end---there is no other follow up to it. The girl had beautiful hair, but seemed she was ready for a change. I hope she liked the final result.

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Since when is she a hair dresser? I hope the cut looked better at the end---there is no other follow up to it. The girl had beautiful hair, but seemed she was ready for a change. I hope she liked the final result.

Hootie found some screencaps of "after". (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=805359&postcount=36)

I agree with you, but the "after" looks so frumpy to me that I really hope they paid for her to go to a professional hairdresser and get it fixed up.

Shiva
October 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Hootie found some screencaps of "after". (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=805359&postcount=36)
Was it 80's Flashback haircut week?

http://www.emoticons.free.fr/smileys/Emotion-Shock/shock4.gif

ponyboy
October 11th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I wonder what would happen if all of this forum's membership sent emails to these "talk show butchers" relating the many positive things about having long hair and directing them to this wonderful community as a reference. A number of years ago, I believe the Ananda Lewis talk show, which is no longer on, featured 4 or 5 ladies with classic length and longer tresses. I would imagine several of these "long-haired pioneers" are current members of this community. Maybe if enough of us suggested a change in direction for these shows, we'd see less and less of the butchery and more positive coverage of the beauty of long hair.

fluffybunny
October 11th, 2009, 09:21 PM
If you search "tyra the hair butcher" on youtube you'll find most of it. The end with the heavy makeup and awful clothing isn't there though.

Lamb
October 11th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I wonder what would happen if all of this forum's membership sent emails to these "talk show butchers" relating the many positive things about having long hair and directing them to this wonderful community as a reference.
I hate to sound like the pessimist I am, but I doubt anything would happen at all. :twocents: From the POV of the world of commercial TV and celebs like this Tyra woman, TLHC is where La-La Land and Twilight-Zone meet.

Lyttle Lox
October 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I would like to see the final video result of the pictures hootiehoot showed... make sure I'm seeing it right....

I wonder why the girl felt she needed a makeover? I thought everything about her looked fanastic, she looked polished, lovely hair, beautiful makeup that was not over the top, and cute yet modest clothes... if anything, the picture of a good makeover. But it was her choice.

I must say this concerning Tyra... I respect her career and what she has done for her field. But I have grown to not like her.. personality I guess I should say. I thought she annoyed me on Top Model (but all of the judges do.. so maybe I just don't like this type of show), but even more when she got her own show. I just don't think everyone should have their own show, just because they are successful in other areas. Great model, so-so talk show host.
It's mainly that she appears to be less open minded than she thinks she is...god bless her she tries to be a good person, and I will not say that she is not, even after this. But she seems to have her mind made up about something before full investigating... no matter what the evidence, other side of the story, etc, and does not seem to consider further details.
I cannot talk to people who already have it in their head what I should feel or believe, AND, what I feel and believe (how can you tell me that?) , or WHY I feel or believe what I do, no matter what I say. I guess she feels a higher level of expertise in any given subject than I can personally give her credit for. So.. don't care for her personality, or I should say, TV persona, because I don't know her to say that.

However! That being sad, I have to say that this show didn't seem any more crazy than any other talk show, epidsode, or makeover of this type. Moreso, I don't feel like Tyra was being malicious or had her own agenda here (which I usually DO believe). She seems to just be going with the status quo. It's her job to hype things up, create a stir for topics, and engage the audience. It's her job to follow and keep up with trends, and lets face it, it's not a 'real', dramatic makeover anymore unless someone gets a drastically different cut and colored head of hair (for some reason!!), and Tyra just followed protocol. I believe this was more of a producer decision than solely her own, and I'm sure she loved the girl's glorious locks.

But chopping long hair is like circumcision in my opinion--it's not talked about why, it's not questioned, it's not debated much, it's just done, it's looked at as the better way to be, no matter how little sense it makes. But we should remember this is more the result of an industry, not one lone, outspoken model.

RedJen
October 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I wonder what would happen if all of this forum's membership sent emails to these "talk show butchers" relating the many positive things about having long hair and directing them to this wonderful community as a reference. A number of years ago, I believe the Ananda Lewis talk show, which is no longer on, featured 4 or 5 ladies with classic length and longer tresses. I would imagine several of these "long-haired pioneers" are current members of this community. Maybe if enough of us suggested a change in direction for these shows, we'd see less and less of the butchery and more positive coverage of the beauty of long hair.

Frankly, I would prefer that those people NOT be aware of this forum, and I would lock down my pictures, profile, and blog, if I thought they were here. The only thing they would see here is people who are not properly supplicant to modern beauty fads.
Tyra's job is to enforce a certain standard of being. We challenge that standard and must be stopped.

I watched the first part of the show, but couldn't take the screaming banshees in the audience. It was frightening.

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I would like to see the final video result of the pictures hootiehoot showed... make sure I'm seeing it right....

I wonder why the girl felt she needed a makeover? I thought everything about her looked fanastic, she looked polished, lovely hair, beautiful makeup that was not over the top, and cute yet modest clothes... if anything, the picture of a good makeover. But it was her choice.

I must say this concerning Tyra... I respect her career and what she has done for her field. But I have grown to not like her.. personality I guess I should say. I thought she annoyed me on Top Model (but all of the judges do.. so maybe I just don't like this type of show), but even more when she got her own show. I just don't think everyone should have their own show, just because they are successful in other areas. Great model, so-so talk show host.
It's mainly that she appears to be less open minded than she thinks she is...god bless her she tries to be a good person, and I will not say that she is not, even after this. But she seems to have her mind made up about something before full investigating... no matter what the evidence, other side of the story, etc, and does not seem to consider further details.
I cannot talk to people who already have it in their head what I should feel or believe, AND, what I feel and believe (how can you tell me that?) , or WHY I feel or believe what I do, no matter what I say. I guess she feels a higher level of expertise in any given subject than I can personally give her credit for. So.. don't care for her personality, or I should say, TV persona, because I don't know her to say that.

However! That being sad, I have to say that this show didn't seem any more crazy than any other talk show, epidsode, or makeover of this type. Moreso, I don't feel like Tyra was being malicious or had her own agenda here (which I usually DO believe). She seems to just be going with the status quo. It's her job to hype things up, create a stir for topics, and engage the audience. It's her job to follow and keep up with trends, and lets face it, it's not a 'real', dramatic makeover anymore unless someone gets a drastically different cut and colored head of hair (for some reason!!), and Tyra just followed protocol. I believe this was more of a producer decision than solely her own, and I'm sure she loved the girl's glorious locks.

But chopping long hair is like circumcision in my opinion--it's not talked about why, it's not questioned, it's not debated much, it's just done, it's looked at as the better way to be, no matter how little sense it makes. But we should remember this is more the result of an industry, not one lone, outspoken model.

You're right. It's not just Tyra. And it's all about the ratings with shows like this. The more over-the-top they are, the more the masses love them. Tyra's giving the people what they want and making herself some bucks. I guess I can't really fault her for that. :shrug:

You can watch the whole show on Tyra's site if you're willing to input all the info. in the advertising spammer 'survey' to unlock the video. It's actually worse live than it is in blurry screenshots. :)

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Maybe because she was about to move into an exciting new phase of her life, away from the people she knew, into something entirely foreign, and felt like she'd like to try something new or reinvent herself as she moved into this new phase? Maybe because she's a teenager and she damn well felt like it? Maybe because she was bored, and it was kind of fun?

Because she just wanted to?

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Yah, she's a teenager. Their little minds don't work right. :p

Mine certainly didn't. I did plenty of stupid crap to my hair and body when I was that age, too.

I bet she learned her lesson this time, though...

Maybe she'll find her way to us in a couple of months. :D

Lyttle Lox
October 11th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Maybe because she was about to move into an exciting new phase of her life, away from the people she knew, into something entirely foreign, and felt like she'd like to try something new or reinvent herself as she moved into this new phase? Maybe because she's a teenager and she damn well felt like it? Maybe because she was bored, and it was kind of fun?

Yep... but needing one? I don't think she 'qualified' to be on an "I desparately need a makeover" show.

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 10:07 PM
I'm sure she just got 'recruited' because she had long hair and was willing. Maybe they stalked her out on MySpace or something (like they are apparently stalking longhairs on YouTube).

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Yep... but needing one? I don't think she 'qualified' to be on an "I desparately need a makeover" show.

I think that wanting a dramatic change -- from anything; in her case from a modest look with very long hair -- "qualifies" to be entertaining enough to be on a makeover show.

Lyttle Lox
October 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm sure she just got 'recruited' because she had long hair and was willing. Maybe they stalked her out on MySpace or something (like they are apparently stalking longhairs on YouTube).

I would think so too.. but she did want to donate her hair, and maybe felt a makeover would in fun, why not, in the process

I think that wanting a dramatic change -- from anything; in her case from a modest look with very long hair -- "qualifies" to be entertaining enough to be on a makeover show.

Well she certainly got one! :eye:

naomimcc
October 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Can someone send me the link to this? I can't seem to locate it on youtube. Thanks!

Me too please!

naomimcc
October 11th, 2009, 11:02 PM

Exactly. It's a free trip to New York. A new look. A new wardrobe and a spot on national television. If you want a haircut ... that's a good way to get one! Go big or go home. FWIW...Tyra contacted me as well and I've said yes. So at some point within the next year I'll probably be on the show get a chop too. I've been debating cutting my hair for over 2 years now.

pradabacon
October 11th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Well, I sent you the vid. Hopefully Tyra won't be doing it herself. :laugh:

ETA: How did Tyra find you, btw? Did they find you online somehwere or did you contact them first, or what?

meowmeow
October 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Hmm... after seeing the video, it seems like Tyra was trying to be funny (from what I can tell anyway, there wasn't any sound in the vids I watched) by doing it wrong/horribly/over the top :confused:. It definitely seemed like Tyra was more interested in getting laughs than actually doing a good job.

Actually, she tends to do things over the top when it comes to do it yourself type shows to get laughs I noticed.

Shiva
October 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
This whole thing reminds me, in a weird way, of a movie clip that some of you may have seen before:

link removed (http://www..com/watch?v=pMUjf9A)

*sorry if I have linked some kind of taboo, but if that is so just delete my link.

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Exactly. It's a free trip to New York. A new look. A new wardrobe and a spot on national television. If you want a haircut ... that's a good way to get one! Go big or go home. FWIW...Tyra contacted me as well and I've said yes. So at some point within the next year I'll probably be on the show get a chop too. I've been debating cutting my hair for over 2 years now.

As long as you're prepared to go even shorter to fix it up afterward! >_o

naomimcc
October 11th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Well, I sent you the vid. Hopefully Tyra won't be doing it herself. :laugh:

ETA: How did Tyra find you, btw? Did they find you online somehwere or did you contact them first, or what?

I contacted them regarding a makeover show they did last year. I started a thread on it a week or two ago...if you search me it should come up...i'm too lazy to find the link :P Anyhoo... I had told them I liked it and had long hair myself. They wrote me back and asked if I would be interested in going on a future show. I agreed. I've been going back and forth on cutting my hair for about two years. I figure if I'm gonna cut it...I may as well go big or go home. We'll see what happens I guess. Maybe I'll back out. Maybe I'll welcome the change.

naomimcc
October 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
As long as you're prepared to go even shorter to fix it up afterward! >_o

I told them I would only go to chin. No shorter. They were okay with that. She said people who do makeovers do have a say in the matter.

SimplyViki
October 11th, 2009, 11:20 PM
:bigeyes:
Wow, that was some clip, Shiva. :p I've never seen the movie before, very strange woman, that! But yep, that might be considered against the rules. "Haircutting" videos aren't allowed, so... :shrug:

Shiva
October 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
:bigeyes:
Wow, that was some clip, Shiva. :p I've never seen the movie before, very strange woman, that! But yep, that might be considered against the rules. "Haircutting" videos aren't allowed, so... :shrug:
Oh, treat yourself to Mommie Dearest someday. :p Very dramatic. Although they say it was alot of exaggeration on the adopted daughters part.

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 11:25 PM
*sorry if I have linked some kind of taboo, but if that is so just delete my link.

Haircutting videos are entirely forbidden on this forum, as far as I understand it. Particularly ones of that nature.

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I told them I would only go to chin. No shorter. They were okay with that. She said people who do makeovers do have a say in the matter.

Mmmm, true, but I have to say, looking at that girl, I'm a little concerned that while you may get the length you asked for, the style might not work out how you expected...

Shiva
October 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Haircutting videos are entirely forbidden on this forum, as far as I understand it. Particularly ones of that nature.

Ok I just scanned the guidelines and saw that, so I will edit my link out. If anybody even cares to know what it was just PM me.

Sorry, folks.

Toadstool
October 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Yes, but on a cut that sort, it doesn't really matter if you rip, razor, or slice the hair, because you'll need a maintenance cut before any damage becomes visible.

Everyone is complaining about them, but, really, these techniques are fine for short haircuts.

But it looked like it would hurt like hell! I would hate to have my hair cut like that. She was treating her like a kid with a doll. And why oh why were the scissors blunt? And why was someone unqualified cutting hair?
I am someone who likes makeover shows. Maybe they're different in the UK? Certainly I've never seen the barbaric reaction of an audience (who incidentally had longer hair than they wanted the girl to have).
That's only the second time I've ever seen this Tyra's show (I didn't know who the woman was until last week!) and I shall be happy never to see it or her again. Not just for the hair butchery but because the whole thing is such a ridiculous spectacle.

EvaSimone
October 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I don't usually care about makeover shows but I watched this on Youtube and it was quite bad. It wasn't the fact that her hair was cut that bothered me. It was the rough way she treated the girl and the way she was sawing through her hair and ripping her hands through it. shudder:

It was really just distasteful to me and I never post on these types of threads...

Flynn
October 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
But it looked like it would hurt like hell!

Having had my hair cut in that manner more than once, nope, I wouldn't say so... It sounds amazing (RRRRRIP!), in a way that would probably make most people on here shudder, but I wouldn't describe it as painful.

Chrissy
October 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Her hair before was beautiful! Now wretched. Like I said before the whole thing was just weird. I feel for the girl. Maybe her Mom talked her into it. Who knows. I hope she grows it back. Uugghh!

Arctic
October 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Having had my hair cut in that manner more than once, nope, I wouldn't say so... It sounds amazing (RRRRRIP!), in a way that would probably make most people on here shudder, but I wouldn't describe it as painful.

That depends of the person, some people have really sensitive scalps and even combing might hurt, not to speak tugging.

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 12:09 AM
That depends of the person, some people have really sensitive scalps and even combing might hurt, not to speak tugging.

Hence the use of "I".

DragonLady
October 12th, 2009, 12:40 AM
As a mother of teen daughters, I really wish they would've considered her image a bit more carefully.

Heidi_234
October 12th, 2009, 01:06 AM
TLHC is where La-La Land and Twilight-Zone meet.
:laugh:
I'll quote you forever!

Gladtobemom
October 12th, 2009, 02:47 AM
The poor young lady.

She walked in looking like a wholesome pretty lady with beautiful long hair and a very natural beauty.

She left looking like a street walker. Blech!

florenonite
October 12th, 2009, 03:25 AM

But most of the people going on these makeover shows want to have their hair cut. There will always be a market for such things, because for people who haven't cut their hair in ages who want a change, it's more fun to make it a big change that gets you a free trip to New York than to simply go down the road to a hairdresser to get it cut.

mwedzi
October 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
To me it would only be shocking if they didn't cut someone's long hair. Cutting long hair on a makeover show is totally predictable.

florenonite
October 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM
To me it would only be shocking if they didn't cut someone's long hair. Cutting long hair on a makeover show is totally predictable.

It's not the fact the hair was cut that's shocking. It's the cultish peer-pressure aspect (the audience chanting "shorter" and the music group singing "chop it" or some such thing) and the fact that the cut was poorly done. The girl whose hair was cut was very pretty, IMO, and her hair could have been cut in such a way that it flattered her features whilst still looking young yet put-together. Instead, it added about fifteen years to her appearance and made her appearance go from classy to trashy.

LadyLongLocks
October 12th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Yes, I was contacted by the show September 15th. The producer e mailed me through youtube mail. They wanted me to be on the show for a haircut makeover.
They stated that I should be up for anything, even a BOB CUT and Tyra would be doing it herself.
I declined.
More info here (http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/1.shtml?y=2009&m=9&d=15&detail=1#049668c72bf65b6bc986ebbe209118dc) and in my blog.
The whole thing makes me sick!

Eilean
October 12th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I have just read the e-mail and your respons in your blog and I am glad you made the decision NOT to do this. I don't know that is going on with Tyra Banks theses days but her methods to get into TV are getting more and more pathetic.

GlassEyes
October 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Uh, yikes.

All things aside, LLL, and though I understand why you'd find it irritating...isn't calling the girl you feel bad for a "Hooker" a little much? @_@ Ouch.

LadyLongLocks
October 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Uh, yikes.

All things aside, LLL, and though I understand why you'd find it irritating...isn't calling the girl you feel bad for a "Hooker" a little much? @_@ Ouch.

They made her LOOK like a h*****. I did not say she WAS.
sheeh...I feel bad they made her LOOK like that!
Heavy makeup, short skirt...the poor thing is only 17!They were way off in creating her look IMO.
Do you think the look was appropriate for a 17 year old? I don't.

GlassEyes
October 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
They made her LOOK like a hooker. I did not say she WAS.
sheeh...I feel bad they made her LOOK like that!
Heavy makeup, short skirt...the poor thing is only 17!They were way off in creating her look IMO.
Do you think the look was appropriate for a 17 year old? I don't.
That's true. But I don't doubt she'd feel great, even with the comparison. I know I wouldn't. To be honest, it doesn't look great, and yeah, your comparison isn't wrong, but...it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry.

JamieLeigh
October 12th, 2009, 09:49 AM
WOW. Lately, I too have been steering clear of the makeover threads. But I had to comment on how horribly cultish this looked. If I ever wanted a haircut, I might try one of the makeover shows, just to get free stuff out of it and give the world a spectacle...but I think what the audience did, with the chanting and yelling, would have traumatized me. And I'm nearly 30, I can't imagine what a younger girl like that must have felt. :( These celebrity shows are a mess. Jeez, at least Oprah has "professionals" to do the dirty work...

LadyLongLocks
October 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
That's true. But I don't doubt she'd feel great, even with the comparison. I know I wouldn't. To be honest, it doesn't look great, and yeah, your comparison isn't wrong, but...it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Sorry.

Well I'm sorry if it offended you. But as a mother of a girl that age, I am outraged that they made her look so trashy with the heavy black eye makeup and short skirt. The haircut was bad enough.
What it is, is what it is.

The word has been "REMOVED" out of respect for the girl.

I also have a bad taste in my mouth GlassEyes.

shadowclaw
October 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Well I just looked at HootieToot's pictures of the result... and wow! There are no words! My fiance was looking over my shoulder, and he said that she looked like a guy in drag :( I don't think she looked that bad, but it was a seriously dramatic change from the natural beauty that she was before. Now she looks like a bratz doll dressed up for the club. Well, I hope she find some way to live with her new style!

pradabacon
October 12th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm just glad she could wash that mess off when she got home. And like I said before, I'm sure her hair looked much better, too, once she washed all the icky stuff they put in there out. She can leave it straight and put it in a half up and probably look just as lovely as she did before. Thank goodness they didn't give her a pixie...

mwedzi
October 12th, 2009, 02:00 PM
It's not the fact the hair was cut that's shocking. It's the cultish peer-pressure aspect (the audience chanting "shorter" and the music group singing "chop it" or some such thing) and the fact that the cut was poorly done. The girl whose hair was cut was very pretty, IMO, and her hair could have been cut in such a way that it flattered her features whilst still looking young yet put-together. Instead, it added about fifteen years to her appearance and made her appearance go from classy to trashy.

Oh, okay, I didn't see the clip because it was removed. What's the point of a remake if you cut someone's hair poorly?

DragonLady
October 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM

Actually, I think you're right. I'm going to edit my own comment, too.

I don't like the end "look". As a mother of three daughters, I think they missed the mark badly.

WaimeaWahine
October 12th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Almost all fashion models, major Disney characters (Ariel, Cinderella), and even the leading ladies of Gossip Girl, have long locks. It may not be every woman's dream but it's highly prized.

Tyra needs to stop aiding other women in their jealously. I wonder if she secretly takes the hair and uses it all for herself. We have to support each other as women.

DavidN
October 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I don't watch the Tyra Banks show anyway, and after hearing about this, I am that much more determined to never, ever, watch it.:sad: (I haven't watched it, or this video, and just read the comments of others)

Canarygirl
October 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe it would make good ratings for Tyra's show if some yay-hoo with no training and dull sissors came on the show and did a makeover on her? What's good for the goose should be good for the gander, right?

Segue-ing slightly I think Ellen Degeneres had a series of shows where she let herself be made over by selected viewers. It was very entertaining, funny, non permanent (clothes & shoes, hairstyle, no cutting), and not at all mean. [Sigh]...what a contrast

getoffmyskittle
October 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Wow, I usually avoid these threads because I don't really care if people go on TV to get made over, but I feel bad for that girl. Don't most TV makeovers end with something cute and trendy and highlighted..? I bet that's what she was expecting. I think she would have looked totally cute even with something APL-ish with bangs. Or even with a pixie. Yeah, I can totally see that. I don't even know what she got. Didn't she say that her hair was long because of a traumatic haircut? (And is it just me, or does her mom look shocked?)

florenonite
October 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Wow, I usually avoid these threads because I don't really care if people go on TV to get made over, but I feel bad for that girl. Don't most TV makeovers end with something cute and trendy and highlighted..? I bet that's what she was expecting. I think she would have looked totally cute even with something APL-ish with bangs. Or even with a pixie. Yeah, I can totally see that. I don't even know what she got. Didn't she say that her hair was long because of a traumatic haircut?

Yeah, and now she's not going to cut it for another twelve years :p

In all seriousness, though, she's got the sort of features that would look good with a whole host of different cuts. The long hair was gorgeous, but so too would be shoulder-length, or a bob, or pixie, etc. There are loads of things Tyra could have done that would have screamed "big change!" that are still gorgeous and flattering, but this isn't one of them, unfortunately. I just hope that when the girl washes out all the product in her hair it looks decent.

That's a good point about most makeovers giving something "cute and trendy and highlighted". She probably expected some kind of bob (without the '80s curling) and some subtle colour change or highlights, maybe with nice side-swept bangs.

pradabacon
October 12th, 2009, 04:38 PM
^^^That would look cute on her. I bet she could do that with what she had left, too. Hopefully, her mom took her to a salon and had it fixed...I won't get my hopes up that Tyra paid to fix it. :p

ole gray mare
October 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I don't have TV and I don't give a fig about TV hosts or makeover shows. But I watched that clip on youtube and plain and simply, that girl was violated. It was beyond creepy and horrible. She was abused and humiliated for being naturally pretty and for not being one of the crowd.

Did you notice that the first time the band sang, they were singing about Camille with the lovely long locks. Like a serenade. Then everyone turned on her...it was a ritualistic sacrifice.

If she was traumatized by a hair cut when she was five, I can only imagine how she felt on stage, 12 years later, with people chanting and with a celebrity gleefully looming over her with scissors.

It was a nightmare.

enfys
October 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I think I was just sick in my mouth.

I have zero haircutting training, but my word I can do better than that on MYSELF, never mind someone else!

Bonkers57
October 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I'll volunteer for that if they ever do! :tongue: (I'd be getting in a long line, no doubt...)

Maybe it would make good ratings for Tyra's show if some yay-hoo with no training and dull sissors came on the show and did a makeover on her? What's good for the goose should be good for the gander, right?

pradabacon
October 12th, 2009, 05:44 PM
^^^A very long line. I'd be 'slicin' it and dicin' it, slicin' it and dicin' it'. http://bestsmileys.com/violent/17.gif

Coriander
October 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I got about halfway through the "cut" with the sound OFF and I had to turn it off. The expression on the girl's face was something that I hope I never have to see again. She looked horrified.

The before and after photos were something else. Awful.

Shiva
October 12th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Did you notice that the first time the band sang, they were singing about Camille with the lovely long locks. Like a serenade. Then everyone turned on her...it was a ritualistic sacrifice.

That's EXACTLY what it was!

berr
October 12th, 2009, 06:16 PM

I hope people aren't so shocked when you do it. I've done similiar (not to that extreme) and paid for it, too. Like my 80's long perm.. oh yay.. for the hair bands. I wanted that hair and I got it. LOL

I hope the girl on the show isn't a member here. There are some comments that don't sit well with me. I feel for her if she's reading them.

ClareDee
October 12th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Wow. I think that's the most surreal hair makeover I've ever seen. The singing, the chanting, the roughness, the obvious discomfort of the girl. Even the way her hair was thrown over her face so she couldn't see. I can't help thinking that was part of the objectification or power-tripping -- we can see her but she can't see us.

And the way Tyra hacked into the hair hanging down in front of the girl's face made me uneasy. For a minute I thought she might accidentally cut the girl's face. Something felt twisted about the whole thing, to me.

Demetrue
October 12th, 2009, 06:26 PM
If the girl wanted the make-over, at least they could have made it a pleasant experience with the girl being pampered and her hair being specially conditioned or something. This, indeed, made it seem like a ritualistic sacrifice in a horror film - it seemed creepy, humiliating and uncomfortable. I especially didn't like the "whipping up" of the "mob mentality" - scary!

windinherhair
October 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I first watched the video without sound. That was much better then the other clip I watched with sound where I had to hear Tyra’s chatter and the awful band in the background. I hate this video. It is like the whole audience is laughing at her experiences with long hair. In other words, like it is a big joke about long hair. “Oh my gosh, she hasn’t cut her hair in 12 years.” So what!! The girl was sitting right there practically being made fun of. If she was traumatized for getting a cut as a child, then I wonder what this has done to her! I think even I may be sick! :no:

pradabacon
October 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
And nearly everyone they cut to in the audience had long hair! There was a whole row of them at one point! What's up with that?

Jealousy of her youth and innocence with a side of Schadenfreude?

Syaoransbear
October 12th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I really don't understand these make-over shows. I mean, the hosts get hair extensions so they can have hair this long, but when girls come on their show that actually have their OWN hair that long they... cut it off? I just don't get it.

Dars
October 12th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Can someone PM the link? I'm curious now!

pradabacon
October 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
PMed you.......

talecon
October 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
the link is gone where can I find it

pradabacon
October 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
PMed you, talecon.

Shiva
October 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
And nearly everyone they cut to in the audience had long hair! There was a whole row of them at one point! What's up with that?

Jealousy of her youth and innocence with a side of Schadenfreude?
I noticed that, too!

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 09:08 PM
If the girl wanted the make-over, at least they could have made it a pleasant experience with the girl being pampered and her hair being specially conditioned or something.

Yes, but that would be boring. This is entertainment television; you have to make a dramatic change.

adiapalic
October 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I can't find the clip -- can someone PM the link to me? I'm really curious.

windinherhair
October 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I can't find the clip -- can someone PM the link to me? I'm really curious.

I just sent you the video.

I can't believe it but I watched it one more time. I feel like the poor girl is getting ambushed. The way the crowd sounds and the way Tyra talks, it is like they have no respect. Even the outcome of the hair cut just looks like she cut wherever like she has no experience... I wish there was some way we could really see how she feels about her hair now.

shaybabe8604
October 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Hmm, it seems as though I missed out on the link. I am curious to see Tyra actually doing the cutting. Can someone PM me the link?

Shadow Walker
October 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM
I just saw the video, it was pretty terrible. :( That poor girl looks hideous now.

pradabacon
October 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
PMed you, Shay.

HotRag
October 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I found it on youtube. I have never seen Tyra show before, and thought it was some kind of parody, until I realized it was for real. I looked at several clips before I found the hair cutting one. All like parody.

I could not find a clip with the last part though, can somebody PM that?

The Drood
October 12th, 2009, 10:54 PM
What in the... If that girl hated short hair before, she'll probably never go near anything sharp again.

Flynn
October 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
What in the... If that girl hated short hair before, she'll probably never go near anything sharp again.

... She was in primary school. Things change.

pradabacon
October 12th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I found it on youtube. I have never seen Tyra show before, and thought it was some kind of parody, until I realized it was for real. I looked at several clips before I found the hair cutting one. All like parody.

I could not find a clip with the last part though, can somebody PM that?

I haven't been able to find the last part anywhere without going to Tyra's site and *fake* signing up for spam. I have made up email addys for just that sort of thing. The link to the full episode on Tyra's site is in the sidebar on the YouTube video, if you want to go to all that trouble.

If anyone finds it elsewhere, I'm sure several people would be interested to see it.

pdy2kn6
October 13th, 2009, 12:02 AM
I'm so intrigued now! do you have the link to it? or what do I type in on youtube to find it? Tyra always seems way too scissor happy in those makeovers, and far too keen to chop off the hair as quick as possible

pradabacon
October 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Oh, good idea. Anyone who wants to find the video on YouTube can search "Tyra Banks Tyover 3/5". All that might not be necessary, but that makes it the first result (so you don't get a million different Tyra vids to sort through.

pdy2kn6
October 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks hootietoot for giving me the link, it was horrible seeing that clip. It was like tyra was just taking the mick of how much the girl valued her hair...is she even trained to cuthair or was she just getting carried away and doing her own thing? I didn't see how it finally ended out, but there did seem to be a bit mockery type theme in the whole show, especially with the 'slicing and dicing' and 'chop' singing in the back ground. It was like tyra was like some evil witch who just wanted to chop all her enemys hair off lol.

Eilean
October 13th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Would anyone be so kind and send me the video link via PN please? I tried to find it but wasn't successful. Thanks!

Toadstool
October 13th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Would anyone be so kind and send me the video link via PN please? I tried to find it but wasn't successful. Thanks!

PM-ed you a link.

Eilean
October 13th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Thank you Toadstool! :)

Eilean
October 13th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I would call that bodily harm!!

Amoretti
October 13th, 2009, 03:10 AM
RavennaNight said:

Ravenna, you're hilarious! :lol: :lol:

WaimeaWahine
October 13th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I just watched it again and has anyone noticed Tyra howling like a banshee as she's lopping off the front? That's extra freaky.

I don't think the "girl looks hideous now" as someone said. She needs support whether she likes her new look or not. As a lifelong super short hair who went long just a few years ago for the first time, it takes a lot of adjustment. :(

pradabacon
October 13th, 2009, 07:10 AM
^^^You're absolutely right, and I'm sure she looks lovely with it now. It looked cute on her when she first cut off the ponytail and it was just straight. It was just the combination of the outfit, makeup, and hair product that was shocking. Very fixable. She's a very pretty girl.

berr
October 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I have the deepest empathy for the girl. Should she decide it was a bad experience and attempt to look for support for growing, possibly finding this forum, some of the comments here could really upset her if she popped in on a growing journey. Her tender age makes it even worse.

She's a very beautiful girl. Her beauty shows through both hairstyles.

Bonkers57
October 13th, 2009, 08:46 AM
And my musical accompaniment will be the shower scene from Psycho :pins:

^^^A very long line. I'd be 'slicin' it and dicin' it, slicin' it and dicin' it'. http://bestsmileys.com/violent/17.gif