PDA

View Full Version : Classic+

Loreley
October 11th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Hello everybody!
I just wonder how many people have longer than classic length hair here and how they take care about it. What products they use, how they usually wear their hair...
How often do they wear their hair down? What's the length you can wear down without problems?:knit:

xgwyllgix
October 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I'm probably a bad example, as I never really took any particularly good care of my hair... I'd wash it every 4-5 days with a shampoo bar, usually LUSH. (I switched to CV as of, um, Thursday, so I'm not sure how that'll work out for me yet.) I condition irregularly with LUSH's American Cream. 95% of the time, I've got my hair up in a bun, 4% of the time would be in a braid, and 1% loose. I generally only wear it loose for a social occasion or when I'm bumming around the house and just don't feel like putting it up. It's long enough that wearing it down is a pain, especially if I'm wearing anything with an even remotely grippy fabric.

slz
October 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM
You can go have a look in my profile, I wrote my routine down - and you'll see that we all have very different ways to care for our hair, you'll have to make up your mind on the type of care you're willing to follow, there are many different ways !

Kris Dove
October 11th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I'm not currently classic length (just BSL :() but I used to be many years ago when I was 14. I tied my hair back in some sort of braid most schooldays or if I was out and about where it'd get in my road, but I did wear it down at least a couple of days a week, I just made sure I wore a scrunchie round my wrist in case I needed to quickly tie it back to use the loo, go out in the wind etc. I used body shop stuff back in those days (before they were bought by L'Oreal- boo!) or Montagne Jeunesse, (which I still like and use although they've been repackaged and don't do full size bottles like they used to anymore!) just a shampoo, conditioner, and intensive conditioner every couple of weeks, but no leave in's (although I do use these now) . HTH

Themyst
October 11th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'm right about mid-thigh now, must update my pics. I wear it up most of the time since I tend to my own housework. And, I have kittens. They love to jump up and grab my swinging hair so I keep it up more often, now. When I wear it down, I just have to be careful about sitting on it so I bring it forward or bring it to the side and drape it over the side of the chair.

I wash it about three times a week. I found a no cone shampoo that finally works for me, so no buildup. I do blow dry to an extent, but I'm careful with it and have seen no damage.

I should start wearing it down more though. My little son who just turned seven keeps telling me that he likes it better when I wear my hair down. He says I look more like a 'mom' that way ... what he means by that, I don't really know since all the moms we know have really short hair. But, he said it looks beautiful and he prefers it. :)

myotislucifugus
October 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I'm not currently classic length (just BSL :() but I used to be many years ago when I was 14. I tied my hair back in some sort of braid most schooldays or if I was out and about where it'd get in my road, but I did wear it down at least a couple of days a week, I just made sure I wore a scrunchie round my wrist in case I needed to quickly tie it back to use the loo, go out in the wind etc. I used body shop stuff back in those days (before they were bought by L'Oreal- boo!) or Montagne Jeunesse, (which I still like and use although they've been repackaged and don't do full size bottles like they used to anymore!) just a shampoo, conditioner, and intensive conditioner every couple of weeks, but no leave in's (although I do use these now) . HTH

Montagne Jeunesse used to package in full size stuff?! I was just thinking, "I wish this came in a larger amount..." Dang. I missed it.:rolleyes:

Amara
October 11th, 2009, 07:49 PM
My little son who just turned seven keeps telling me that he likes it better when I wear my hair down. He says I look more like a 'mom' that way ... what he means by that, I don't really know since all the moms we know have really short hair. But, he said it looks beautiful and he prefers it. :)

He probably associates it with you - you must have had long or at least longish hair all his life. You are his mom, so long hair=mom. :) That's cute.

I am about 4.5" away from classic so I'll be watching this thread! :)

Themyst
October 11th, 2009, 08:02 PM
He probably associates it with you - you must have had long or at least longish hair all his life. You are his mom, so long hair=mom. :) That's cute.

I am about 4.5" away from classic so I'll be watching this thread! :)

I have always had it long. When he was a little baby, I'd slowly sweep it across his face and he cooed and loved it so much. :)

Amara
October 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have always had it long. When he was a little baby, I'd slowly sweep it across his face and he cooed and loved it so much. :)

That is so sweet!

Cinnamon Hair
October 11th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I'm at knee length. Here is my routine (http://beyondclassic.awardspace.us/routine.html). Favorite cone free conditioners are Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and Biolage Conditioning Balm. Favorite coney conditioner is L'Oreal Mega Moisture. I CO wash. I wear my hair down often at home but almost never in public. My go-to updo is a cinnamon bun with sticks but I have several others in my repertoire.

I'm not sure what the longest was that I could wear down all day without any problems. I would guess there wasn't one, since my hair has always tangled and fell in my face when it's down.

JamieLeigh
October 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm about 3" past classic right now. I do a CO twice a week with either Suave Naturals tropical coconut or Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (I love the smell of both...Suave is cheaper, but I like the tingle my scalp gets from the Giovanni). Once a month or so I clarify with Suave Clarifying shampoo, used in a CWC with the Suave conditioner. I leave it up turban-style in a towel for about 15 min, usually just until I get my clothes or pjs on, and let it air-dry down. I don't comb it until fully dry, and I finger-comb or use a wide-tooth wooden comb.

I don't really wear it down often, usually just when the kids are not around. It's really not very practical to keep it down when I've got five small kids to run around after. But the older they get (the youngest is almost 3 years now), the more I'm able to wear it down at home. I almost never wear it down in public, mostly because it stays windy and humid here year-round (extreme south US, fairly mountainous community on a river) and my hair will frizz up or become messy quickly. I still trim to keep the ends neat and lately, I've adopted more of a gentle U-shape, versus my normal straight hemline. :)

eresh
October 12th, 2009, 11:31 AM
My hair is kneelength.
I use shampoo with cones and sles.
And a coneless conditioner/anti-tangle.

My favorite products are: Andrélon shampoo shine & care, Andrélon shampoo longer fresh and Palmolive anti-tangle conditioner.
I'm currently in my 5th week of trying new shampoo and conditioner by Inecto (http://www.inecto.com/Pages/cocohairprods.html).

Before braiding or making updo's I mist with plain water and sometimes e few drops of jojobaoil added (and perhaps some drops of jasmin oil for scent).

I wear my hair down when I go out to a club or something and I also like to wear it down in the form of a ponytail :)
But during the week at work or doinf household stuff, I wear it in various kind of buns.

angelthadiva
October 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm just past classic. I do a hybrid wash every other day and I use condish with cones. I wear my hair up all the time out in public, I wear it down to dry at home, or in an English braid...Cinna Clippy is my other "go to" style. I can do many other styles, but for the sake of simplicity, I only do fancy ones for special occasions.

Finoriel
October 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I´m about 3 inches away from knee lenth.
My routine looks like this: wash as needed every 7-14 days with homemade egg-shampoo (1 egg, 1/2 tsp. honey, pinch ascorbic acid) or if my chickens are on strike I use soapwort / birch tea from my garden. An acidic-rinse after every wash with water or chamomile tea and some ascorbic acid. Airdry and comb when dry. Misting with an oilve oil water mix as needed, about 2x per week. Deeptreatment as needed (ca. every 10 weeks) left on for 30min. with homemade yogurt, 1 tsp. honey, 1 tsp. henna.
I wear everything from braids to updos or braided updos and I almost never wear my hair down, :wink: it´s down to dry if that counts. I think the last length where I had it down frequently was at hiplength. It get´s in my way easily and annoys me, I also prefer the varsatility of braids and updos, :p since my hair has no character and would always look the same when down.

Kris Dove
October 12th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Montagne Jeunesse used to package in full size stuff?! I was just thinking, "I wish this came in a larger amount..." Dang. I missed it.:rolleyes:Yep, I miss it and wish they still made it! The stuff came in clear bottles with cork lids, and had it's own special display shelves in Asda, and there was a far bigger range as well, including a nice chamomile and jojoba shampoo and conditioner that I bought frequently. Anyone else remember it?

Back on topic, I don't think I've worn my hair down all day without it getting in my road and needing tied back for cooking, going out in the wind etc, since it was about shoulder length. I have hair bobbles everywhere, round my wrist, in my makeup and handbag, in almost every room in the house....

Arniky
October 12th, 2009, 11:13 PM
shampoo, detanglers, can be let down or bunned

Amara
October 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I've also noticed that I'm wanting to keep more extra hair doodads around just in case, as I near classic.

Poppy Seed
October 14th, 2009, 12:37 AM
I'm about fingertip length now. I have nothing special really routinewise. I'm on an 8 day wash cycle and do shampoo on the scalp and then condition all through. Only comb when dry, sleep in a plait.

Wear it up almost all the time: either the Gibraltar bun with a stick or a cinnabun with a ficcarre. I've recently branched out into doing vortex buns when I've got time (but I'm not that big a fan of having no parting and nor's my hair). When it is "down" it's either in a plait or multiple bands. Something else I like to do for dancing is a high ponytail, one knot with a stick & leave the ends. They reach about BSL now.

I've never really worn it down since it got long enough to tie up properly (around shoulder length and just above I had two tiny little plaits or a peacock twist). My hair is very fine and likes to tangle around things, so up is good!

Amoretti
October 14th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I'm back at thigh length after a recent cut back to classic. :)

I'm just using Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioner lately. Before that I always used Dove. I don't do anything special, maybe a tiny bit of wet oiling with jojoba once in a while because it tends to make my ends go crunchy.

As for wearing it down, I never do and haven't since tailbone. It would get into everything and tangle horribly.

nowxisxforever
October 14th, 2009, 05:47 AM
My hair is firmly classic and starting to work its way down my thighs when held straight or is wet.

My routine is super, super simple. I'm in a bit of a "benign neglect" stage right now. My routine is as follows:

Every 2-4 days, wash scalp with Queen Helene's Mint Julep Shampoo (no-sulfate), condition length with Sonoma Soap Company conditioner (no-cone), condition length with Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship (cone-- trying them on for size.). If I feel like I need to clarify with sulfates, I will use Lavera's Mango Milk Shampoo instead of the Mint Julep, on the entire length of my hair. Let air-dry overnight.

Comb with wide-toothed seamless comb and put up in a bun/braid in the morning.

That's it! :) Sometimes I will put some coconut oil or a cocoa butter or shea butter mix in my length if it's dry, poofy, or generally unhappy.

So far as how often I wear my hair down...periodically. Usually on day 1-2 after washing, only at work or at home. So maybe 1-2 times a week unless I don't feel like having it down at all. Once I get to work I sometimes take my hair down or re-do it to something that shows off the length, like a long-tassel braid. I keep hairtoys and my hair scissors (for splits!) in my purse, as well as my coconut oil and comb, so if I need to do anything to my hair at work I am able to. A friend of mine is growing her hair out, she's at waist with some chin-length layers she's wanting to grow out, and she has me do her hair all the time at work....she's not the only one who will periodically ask me to "fix" her hair lol :) since it only takes me <1 minute to do it and it's always something they can't do... :)

BlndeInDisguise
October 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM
My hair is past knee length (maybe calf length, I'm not sure). Because I am TMJ, I can't very often let all of my hair get wet in the shower, because that pulls on the back of my head and stresses my jaw out. So for the most part I do scalp washes.

Every other day I do WO, but once a week I do a CO. Only because I'm not patient enough to wait for my scalp to adjust, and I can't stand the build up that happens on my scalp. :o

Angela_Rose
October 14th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I was poking around and saw this thread, and sort of forgot that I'm now officially "past classic," so I'm grinning like an idiot over my thigh-length hair. Thanks, OP!

Anyway. I'm at thigh-length right now. My care routine: wash on Friday mornings with Lush's Squeaky Green (they put in a store 20 minutes from my house- this is dangerous!) and condition with Mane 'n' Tail conditioner sometimes. If I need to oil, I use apricot kernel oil from the ears down- a light coating works very well.

I usually wear my hair up. It's mostly in a pinless bun. Sometimes it's braided. I occasionally wear it down at SCA events and renaissance faires, and sometimes at home if I'm feeling lazy.

GeoJ
October 14th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I am a few inches past classic now. The last time I regularly wore my hair down was somewhere between BSL and waist, then I braided it a lot and bunned it after I learned to do so. Now I only wear it down for special occasions, and when it is drying at home.

I wash when I feel like I need to, sometimes a full wash, sometimes a scalp wash. It seems to work out to 2 or 3 times a week, sometimes less when the weather is cooler. I usually either use Aubrey Organics shampoo and conditioner (either Island Naturals or Honeysuckle Rose), or Indian herbs. I have hard water so I usually rinse with diluted raw apple cider vinegar. My hair also seems to benefit from soaking in catnip tea. I use coconut oil for oiling my hair.

I air dry my hair and use a wooden comb (I have a small horn comb I use while travelling). I wear my hair in buns almost all the time, and sleep with it loose inside a sleep cap. I recently realized that my hair grows unevenly (back is faster than the front/sides), so small trims on occasion help the ends to look better.

:)