PDA

View Full Version : fuller hair through oiling

BrianaFineHair
April 20th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Last night I did a second oiling - a heavy oiling of half evo and organic vco. My routine has been to do a heavy oiling, leaving it in over night and then washing with shampoo finishing with a vinegar rinse the next morning.

I swear my hair feels thicker, and of course, for my type that really pleases me.

Do others that oil feel the same? If so, I was wondering what opinions are as to why the oiling gives this result.

Gecko
April 20th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Olive and coconut oil can penetrate your hair and strengthen it and replace lost oil. And I know the damaged parts of my hair are thinner, so the oils must build it back up.

Shanarana
April 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM
I am always putting coconut oil on my hair, when wet and dry. Sometimes throughout the day. I feel it is fuller as a result of that.

jojo
April 20th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Last night I did a second oiling - a heavy oiling of half evo and organic vco. My routine has been to do a heavy oiling, leaving it in over night and then washing with shampoo finishing with a vinegar rinse the next morning.

I swear my hair feels thicker, and of course, for my type that really pleases me.

Do others that oil feel the same? If so, I was wondering what opinions are as to why the oiling gives this result.

I have fine hair which measured 3.5" when i joined in Aug 08, so I was a ii, today after 8 months of using oils coconut and many others, my hair measures 4.2" and a iii. I put this change of thickness down to the oils and the fact im not squashing the life out of my hair with straightners.

Shanarana
April 20th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I have fine hair which measured 3.5" when i joined in Aug 08, so I was a ii, today after 8 months of using oils coconut and many others, my hair measures 4.2" and a iii. I put this change of thickness down to the oils and the fact im not squashing the life out of my hair with straightners.

Wow, that's a big difference. I think you mean Aug 07? :D

jojo
April 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Wow, that's a big difference. I think you mean Aug 07? :D

LOL yes I do, funny i was writing a care plan at work and wrote 1998, im going mad.....wanna come?;)

Shanarana
April 20th, 2008, 07:27 AM
LOL yes I do, funny i was writing a care plan at work and wrote 1998, im going mad.....wanna come?;)

That's ok, think I'm already there. I'm still in the month of March.

BrianaFineHair
April 20th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks, ladies! I'm not just imagining things then ;)

spidermom
April 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Cone use gives me the sensation that my hairs are so much more substantial than without. It must coat my hair until it doubles my non-coned diameter! Then, of course, it's time to clarify.

Oil is more subtle, but I agree that it gives my hair a more substantial feel as well. Completely stripped, my hair becomes like cobwebs -- fine and floaty.

Lizbot
April 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I haven't really noticed too much of a difference, but I mean, come on... I've got a lot of it anyway.

I'm really glad it's helping your thickness along though. That's a good feeling. <3

Loviatar
April 20th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Spidermom, I find that really interesting. My hair actually LOSES thickness on cones. Goes down to maybe 2.5, which is alarming, as I'm about 3.5 or more when conefree. I dont know why that is.

I am so going to try oiling in future. I havent done it much as I dont like feeling my hair is oily, but I guess I have to come up with some way to wash it all out properly. Washing it out is always my problem with oils. Using a clarifying shampoo works but it makes me feel 'why did I bother oiling' y'know? And a normal s/c doesnt seem to cut the oil. Don't even think about using CO on my hair after oiling. :shrug:

redhead_rachel
April 21st, 2008, 05:45 AM
I have been using pure coconut oil as a conditioner and my hair feels fuller, while being less frizzy (I have naturally very coarse hair) :cheese: It also feels a lot more even in thickness, though I don't know if that's just because it's evening out, and because its stronger, is not breaking off...:shrug:
Anyway coconut oil convert :D

Tabitha
April 21st, 2008, 06:30 AM
Spidermom, I find that really interesting. My hair actually LOSES thickness on cones. Goes down to maybe 2.5, which is alarming, as I'm about 3.5 or more when conefree. I dont know why that is.

Mine does the same, Lovi. I've never measured, but it feels and looks compacted (as well as being very hard to put in any kind of braid or updo, and losing some wave).

I'd be interested to try this. I've shied away from heavy oiling as the length of my hair isn't dry or damaged but have used coconut oil on my ends, with very good results (shinier, feeling more moisturised, boosted the wave).

It may look from my sig as if I have a lot of hair, but I still haven't recovered from a medication-induced shed over a year ago and it still feels thinner to me than it used to. I would also be concerned about the strength of shampoo needed to wash it out so I guess I need to try it when I'm not planning to go out in public for several days :p

Riot Crrl
April 21st, 2008, 02:33 PM
I feel like I get a lot of benefits from oil, but volume is not exactly one of them, LOL. I'm glad it's working out for you, though!