PDA

View Full Version : CO-ers....more moisture?

whiteisle
October 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I was wondering if any long-time CO people used another conditioner after rinsing and if so, what kind do you like/recommend? Can/do you use one with cones?

GlassEyes
October 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
I use a heavier conditioner after CO washing, like Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition DT or Aubrey Organics White Camellia or Honeysuckle Rose--though I don't use cones. You can use one with cones, but you'll still have to use shampoo every so often to clarify, depending on your hair.

PhillyGirl1978@
October 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I use GF triple nutrition after I CO. I always need to conditioner after I CO cause I wash with Suave Naturals usually and afterwards my hair still feels rough so I need the added moisture.

Heidi_234
October 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
That's actually the traditional way to CO, first use light conditioner to wash and clean your hair and then thicker conditioner to moisturize it.

Carolyn
October 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
I use the original CO method as described in Heidi_234's post. I've used CO in this manner as my main method of washing for several years. The first thinner conditioner does that washing part and a second and heavier conditioner adds moisture and conditions. Many people have come up with their own variations of what works for them. I probably do 99 out of 100 CO washes this way. My second conditioner sometimes is a cone one. It depends on my mood. Sometimes I want cones if I'm going to wear my hair down. Sometimes I go for scent. Some of my favorite second conditioners are Regis OO, Gioanni SAS, Terax Crema, Kiehls something with coconut for extra conditioning. I like my hair to be heavy and "weighed down". I have hair that can't be over conditioned. My hair eats up conditioner. You just have to experiment and see what works and what you like.

Tabitha
October 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I do this too when I CO. I use ultra-cheap ones for the "washing" part that I buy specially and reserve better, richer ones for the conditioning, the same ones that I use after I shampoo.

friskybiznus
October 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I do this too when I CO. I use ultra-cheap ones for the "washing" part that I buy specially and reserve better, richer ones for the conditioning, the same ones that I use after I shampoo.

Me too! :D

karli
October 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Right now I use a heavy one with shea and glycerin both to wash with and for the ends. If I use a conditioner that is too light when I wash, my scalp gets flaky and my hair gets frissy.

I have been afraid to use heavy conditioners as my scalp is greasy, but I don`t have to wash it more often with them.

RoseRedDead
October 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
What I do 99% of the time is CO with a light, cone- and protein-free conditioner (Suave or VO5).

Apply conditioner of choice
Let the conditioner sit for 5-10 minutes
Duck head under the spray of the shower while holding the length out of the water
Rinse scalp area until it feels right (no longer slimy)
Detangle hair (fingers)
Squeeze some excess conditioner out of the length
Rinse length for 5-10 seconds
Vinegar rinse

Viola. As you can see, not all the conditioner is rinsed out of the length. With this method, I don't really have to use a second conditioner. Sometimes I will use a little bit as a leave in (my next CO wash [Monday] I will be using a bit of coney conditioner as a leave-in to deal with tangles). But more often than not, this is the way I do it. It works for me, but as always, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

halo_tightens
October 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I don't CO every time I wash, but when I do, I mix half-and-half honey and conditioner for the second time around. Honey really seems to give my hair lots of extra moisture, whether used this way, in SMTs, in henna glosses... whatever method.

Heck, I condition this way, after shampooing, too. I use a lot of honey!!

curls2grow
October 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I only use one conditioner when I CO wash my hair; never a 2-step process for me. I like the variety in the the different feels of the conditioners. I always us a leave-in, so that probably compensates for the less moisturizing/heavy CO-wash conditioners.