PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying

YoginiCelestial
October 10th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Everyone, I am a newbie and want desperately to improve the condition of my hair.
I was thinking that to begin my hair growing journey I could first clarify to remove all remaining silicones and build up.
I'd like to do a little research and gather some opinions on clarifiers. I really don't want to dry my hair out, so I'd like to find one that is gentle but works well. Also how often to use a clarifier?
Thank you in advance for any input about your experience.
:)

MirandaWelch
October 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Good question. I'm interesting in hearing what others have to say.

mbaker223
October 10th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I only clarify every 6 months since I don't use cones. And all I use is my Everpure shampoo with 1 tbs of baking soda mixed in. And after that I condition with a non-cone like V05. Sometimes after that I rinse with apple cider vinegar.

Hope that helps.

Peter
October 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I think a lot of people here like the Suave clarifying shampoo. I've never tried it myself so I can't say anything about it.

You should clarify whenever your hair starts to look lank and lifeless, or if you get crunchy ends and oils/leave-ins don't help.

Heidi_234
October 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Any SLS shampoo with as less additives as possible can clarify. Just pick the one intended for normal hair (not oily or dry hair) to ensure that. Some people as baking soda, but it's not necessary, and in some case just too harsh on hair.

GlassEyes
October 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I think a lot of people here like the Suave clarifying shampoo. I've never tried it myself so I can't say anything about it.

You should clarify whenever your hair starts to look lank and lifeless, or if you get crunchy ends and oils/leave-ins don't help.
Actually, funny story about that--the Suave Clarifying is the only shampoo of that line that ISN'T clarifying--it contains dimethicone.

Any other shampoo of the Naturals line is conefree though, but if you don't use silicones, you can clarify by adding baking soda to your conditioner. :)

Peter
October 10th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Actually, funny story about that--the Suave Clarifying is the only shampoo of that line that ISN'T clarifying--it contains dimethicone.

Any other shampoo of the Naturals line is conefree though, but if you don't use silicones, you can clarify by adding baking soda to your conditioner. :)
Oh, my mistake. What a silly name.

GlassEyes
October 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Oh, my mistake. What a silly name.
I know. It's incredibly stupid. :lol: And I was surprised when I discovered it too. The clarifying conditioner is cone-free, though it does no clarifying--it's one of my favorites for CO washing.

linda g
October 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Are you kiddin' me? I never noticed that. thanks for the heads up.

friskybiznus
October 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I like Neutrogena's clarifying shampoo. I do it about every other month.

YoginiCelestial
October 10th, 2009, 05:49 PM

I was shopping yesterday trying to make up my mind, and almost bought the Suave Clarifying, and decided to check on here first for opinions! Glad I did, but still not sure what to buy. Maybe I will add a little baking soda to my conditioner too...
thanks for the tip! And thanks to everyone else for sharing ideas.
:)

Tornerose
October 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know the ingredients etc of the Keune clarifying shampoo?
I've not been able to find a clarifying shampoo around here, but my hairdresser had a big container. So my option would be to either ask the owner of the salon to buy a small amount and take home, wash my hair there... or just use baking soda.

ademtce
October 11th, 2009, 10:26 AM
im my opinoin everyone needs to try 'Malibu Un Do Goo' , it is THE BEST clarifying shampoo ever - no SLS's and doesn't leave my hair (or anyone else who used it) dry or tangled. i love the way it leaves my hair smoothed and clean. it's a little expensive ($9-12) but it a little tiny bit goes a long way.

Malibu Wellness (http://malibuwellness.com/content/CN_Product_Detail.aspx?ID=2410) check it out.