PDA

View Full Version : Cutting your own hair?

Olivia23
October 9th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Is there a link somewhere on here that shows a lady cutting her own hair? I've been looking everywhere and cannot find it. I remember seeing it on here somewhere. I have seen some videos on YouTube about it, but would like to find the one on here. I believe it took me to a site that showed pictures and it showed how to make your ends U shape or straight across, but I don't think there was a video. Also does anyone on here trim their own hair? Does it turn out pretty even?

LittleOrca
October 10th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Here it is, I think this is the one you are thinking of:

Feye's Self Trimming (http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim)

Arctic
October 10th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I trim my own hair! Little Ocra already gave you the link to Feye's, that's what I did when my hair was a little longer. It did gave good results, I've used U and V shaped cuts with her technique. The very first time I was very nervous (I had trimmed my own hair before but with my own technique). It ended up just fine thoug. You could "dry practice" the method first few times before taking the scissors to make sure you understand the diretions. I wish I had done so. Anyway, I see you're a wavy, and wavy hair hides small unevenness very well.

Good luck!

Brighe
October 10th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I also trim my own hair with this technique and it works very well
but I must admit, I never cut more then a cm or so ^^"
nevertheless this method is very easy and it works for me.

Arniky
October 10th, 2009, 06:19 AM
maybe if its long enough one can try it

Feng-Shui
October 10th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Method Feye`s is very good.

I cut my hair five years themselves.:)

katha
October 10th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I used it as well. While I prefer to go to a good hairdresser, this is working really well for whenever I don't have the time, money or the right mood to go to the pro's :)

Peter
October 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I use Feye's method too... haven't been to a haircutting place in over 2 years.

Nyghtingale
October 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
I have used it too. Very good method. I haven't been to a "professional" in years.

Cereus
October 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Yes, feye's has worked for me too! I love not having to go to the salon.

going gray
October 10th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'm sure you ladies are very adapt at trimming your own hair. As for me, I wouldn't even chance it. Fortunately, I've a wonderful hair stylist who has never disappointed me.

GoddesJourney
October 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I trim my own hair regularly and it's always even. I do a V cut because that's what I like. I part my hair in two, look down while keeping my head from tilting side to side, and comb it all straight down. I cut parallel to the floor, which gives the V when I look back up. When I go to do the second side, I first measure the piece closest to the nape on the cut side with the non-cut side and snip it off at the same length. Then, I comb down the front of my hair and do the same thing. Now that I have to reference points, all I have to do is cut a straight line between the two of them, making sure that my head is in the same position as it was when I cut the first one.

1. Always cut parallel to the floor.

2. Don't tilt your head side to side.

3. Measure your uncut side to your cut side while maintaining the previous to tips.

4. Wet hair is important.

5. Combing your hair straight is really important.

Good luck.

AngelInDisguise
October 11th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I also use Feyes method - in fact the look-out for self-trimming techniques is what brought me to the long hair boards. I am really satisfied with the results and don't only cut the hemline but also trim my bangs and occasionally my face-frame.

But I have type 1c/2a hair (hair has made no decision yet if it wants to be wavy or straight) that is fine and rather thin (more on the i/ii side than a ii). I guess self-cutting might be a bit harder with very thick or type 3 hair.

The trick for me is: Don't cut all of the length you want to get rid of with the first snap. You will need to make some adjustments and loose a bit length during this process.

And take your time. When I do a complete makeover with hemline, bangs and face-frame I need about an hour.

pinchbeck
October 11th, 2009, 11:17 AM
My hair was 25" long (not very long), but its length drove me nuts and I cut off 3.5" two days ago...myself! I think when you it yourself it can never look as polished as when a stylist cuts it. I will be visiting a hair salon this week to have the ends of my hair corrected which means more hair loss. I always feel confidant when the hemline looks great not matter what length my hair is even at my bald 22" length. Please save your trims for the professionals.

teela1978
October 11th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I use feye's u-trim... but don't really finish off the u so it ends up a very shallow v... it's worked well for the last couple of years.

Olivia23
October 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the link! I will be trying this in the future. I thought I wanted a little trim, but when I look in the mirror I'm so anxious for my hair to grow that I think I will wait a little longer. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to keep my layers or have all one length. On one hand layers look good when my hair is down because I get more curls, but it's a pain in the a** when trying to do updos because I cannot get all my hair in. I wear my hair up most the time, so I may go with an even hemline, but I'm just not ready to lose much length to even it up yet.

freecelt
October 11th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I've been trimming my own hair for years. I'll have to go look at Feye's method now :)

Amara
October 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Feye's works just great!

82exoticbeauty
October 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I do cut mine, but only the bangs part! I just let it cut between eye to the nose part! I usually let my mom trim my hair about 1 inch mostly for straight! But I'm just waiting til I get to classic for her to trim it! Hey, it's free than wasting money in other expensive hair salon! They sometimes charge for more on longer hair to cut! Even though my mom knows how to make it into straight cut!:)