PDA

View Full Version : Updos, easily thrown up and always looks good, but when it matters!! URGH!

eadwine
April 20th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Just this irk I have. I throw my hair up in a bun every single day, no problem at all, hophop not even one minute and done and it looks peachy to boot.

Then you go to someplace where you really WANT it to look good.

Hophop bah, hophop even more bah, hophop lopsided, hophop very reasonable oh no argh a pokey!, try to put pokey in with knitting needle and ruin updo, hophop GROAN, hophop :demon:

After half an hour you are ready to go there BALD, believe you me :lol: (not that I would EVER cut it, hell no!)

Do you guys have that too.. that the updo just does NOT wish to cooperate when it matters? It's maddening!

Shanarana
April 20th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Boy, can I understand where you are coming from. I throw my hair up too, or wear it down and it looks great. As soon as I am going somewhere....blah......forget it, I just can't seem to make my hair look the way I want it to. Sometimes I go through five different updo's before I finally give up and put it in a jaw clip.

eresh
April 20th, 2008, 05:40 AM
I hear you...
This happens to me too, normal days, wrap, tuck, off I go.
Special occasions though, I don't know what that is,
Wrap, tuck, uneven
Wrap, tuck, sagging
Wrap, tuck, 1 hair pulls (very annoying this)
Okay, forget it, I'll just go in a balaclava :demon:

Now I just calculate extra time for stubborn hair so I don't miss my bus or train.

Ashley
April 20th, 2008, 05:45 AM
YES! I feel the frustration. :lol:

And sometimes when I have nowhere to go and nothing to do, I swear, it looks perfect! That is SO annoying.

Isilya
April 20th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I have this problem most of the time.
I can make the most perfect French sleeping-braid, but when I really want to make one to go out to dinner or something, it fails miserably. Same with most other updos (updoes?), nice and pretty when I'm only sitting at home, disaster if I intend to leave the house. Really, really, really, really annoying :taz:

rosieposie
April 20th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Heck, yes! I can do a fab updo sitting watching t.v. or walking around my local supermarket with 2 small children in tow; but set me infront of a mirror with a comb and a place to go (where my hair really matters to me) and... POOF... like some kind of nasty hair witch has just wiggled her bad hair day wand, it simply wont co-operate!
I just end up with a clamp or a scrunchie and a bad mood :(

Chamomile betty
April 20th, 2008, 06:14 AM
I understand.

I got called to work and had about 30 minutes to pull myself togeather and my hair went up wonderfully. Now, when I have all the time I want and am really trying hard my hair won't cooperate.
Yep, I have so been there.

khyricat
April 20th, 2008, 09:17 AM
YES! I can do a crown braid perfectly when it doesn't matter and I'm just playing around, btu when I want to- it never comes out...

eadwine
April 20th, 2008, 09:59 AM
:lol: Glad to read I am not the only one! :D

Hey guess what.. I can do that cinnamon bun again. :roll: FIGURES!!

Lixie
April 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I always get the most perfect updos.. when I've put my hair up to take a bath. :lol:

Silver & Gold
April 20th, 2008, 10:09 AM
You're singing my song. I can throw up a cute updo in no time at all when I'm working out or bathing or just hanging around the house. But the minute an event comes up my hair decides that it can't do anything right. ARGH!

spidermom
April 20th, 2008, 10:10 AM
True for me, too. I think sometimes we try too hard and won't accept a perfectly acceptable result like we do when we're just getting our hair out of the way. This morning my hair was hot so I did a wrap-wrap-wrap of the length around my fingers and clamped with a claw clip at the nape of my neck. It looks really cool because my hair expanded over the claw clip, covering it completely.

Juliet's Silk
April 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I always get the most perfect updos.. when I've put my hair up to take a bath. :lol:

Guess when I made that perfectly sitting, soft looking but very secure bun I sport in my avatar? Right.... Never been able to recreate that again :D

kate46
April 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Get you over here Sods Law!:boxer:

walkinglady
April 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
The less time I spend the better. I think I try to hard for perfection when something special comes along. Maybe we should all just splurge on a really great hairtoy for the upcoming event then quick throw our hair up with that gorgeous new toy! Works for me!

freznow
April 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Gah I know! And it's not even that I always try to hard on those days, the stress making it malfunction. I'll do the same updo I always do, the one that never fails me, and on the day it most matters it'll fall right out 30 minutes later, when normally it lasts the whole day! Gahh so annoying.

Poolsoflaughter
April 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I have the problem of finally getting it all to look right, and in between walking from the house to the car, the wind blows it all to h*ll!

AJoifulNoise
April 20th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Yep, I'm there with you. Any day that I'm just cleaning house or doing something at home I can throw it up and my hair looks beautiful. But, the morning (or evening) I have to be somewhere I always factor in an hour for my hair style... Because I always have to either try 5 different styles or one style 5 different times.

meichigo
April 20th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have a similar-yet-different problem... once I've "learned" an updo, I can do it well several times, and then all of a sudden trying the exact same process doesn't work. this has happened like twice over the past week.

mommy2one05
April 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Oh I can feel the frustration!! Especially on church days or going somewhere and I can plan on putting it up and i cannot get it ot it will not stay or down and it will be bushy or frizzy...ahhh!!

DecafJane
April 20th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Unpredictable hair styling + unpredictable wavy/frizzy/curly hair = express trip to my own private hair madness! :D

Still, it is more fun than having a buzz cut. :)

Anje
April 20th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Argh, yes! My hair would not to ANYTHING for me last night. I had to go to my hubby's performance of Bach's St. John's Passion with my hair loose (which for me seems an informal style).

Of course, I'm managing to get it to go up quite well now, despite that I cut my knuckle and am stuck in a finger brace until it heals a bit.

Riot Crrl
April 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I think that perfectionism negatively affects technique. My 10 second messy buns are cool looking, and attempting to actually get all hairs to be perfectly contained results in disaster.

CurlyNinja
April 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM
So true...it is like this for me WHENEVER I really want it out of the way.

Poppy Seed
April 21st, 2008, 02:38 AM
With you all there! I cycle to work and either plait or multi-band the tail (an updo won't go under the helmet - no way!) and once at work I change and throw the hair into a bun with a stick. Always looks fine.

(On a vaguely related note: does anyone else find that actually getting inspiration for 'special' dos is nigh on impossible?)

sahiba
April 21st, 2008, 03:18 AM
Boy, can I understand where you are coming from. I throw my hair up too, or wear it down and it looks great. As soon as I am going somewhere....blah......forget it, I just can't seem to make my hair look the way I want it to. Sometimes I go through five different updo's before I finally give up and put it in a jaw clip.

Same here.

Shanarana
April 21st, 2008, 06:03 AM
Was thinking of this thread this morning. Trying to get ready for work, and get my hair in a french twist that I did over and over yesterday with no problem. Now for the life of me I can't seem to get my hair to do what I want it to. Off to look for my jaw clip.

Curlsgirl
April 21st, 2008, 06:52 AM
My problem is mostly getting my updo so that scalp hairs don't pull some place. GRRRRRRRRRR! :mad:

Islandgrrl
April 21st, 2008, 07:11 AM
My problem is mostly getting my updo so that scalp hairs don't pull some place. GRRRRRRRRRR! :mad:

Oh yeah. I had an event yesterday that required, of all things, pigtail braids (teaching a BodyJam class). I've done it dozens of times, no problem. Could I get them right without little pully parts? I tried half a dozen times to get them to be comfortable and I couldn't. Finally settled on one single braid in the back.

I mean, really, how difficult are 2 braids???? Arrrrgh!:luke:

young&reckless
April 22nd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Every time I put my hair up nice, one little piece from the front layer falls out and in my atempt to fix it I mess everything up. Stupid layers

GlassEyes
April 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Every time I put my hair up nice, one little piece from the front layer falls out and in my atempt to fix it I mess everything up. Stupid layers

Agreed. D:

Even if the most I can do is a ponytail and a very small messed up bun, the hair always tries to find a way onto my face, no matter how much gel or how many bobby pins I use. D: Ugh.

heidi w.
April 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Yes.

And of course, I also decide to try a new form, something I've never done before....I just dreamed it up 10 minutes earlier, and it MUST WORK!

Oh yeah...so been there! And probably will be again.

Your post is funny. It made me chuckle, all the bebop, hophip, slide, tack language. I totally got the drill.

heidi w.

eadwine
April 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM
:lol:

I am SO glad to read I am not alone in this.. WHEW! hehe

frizzinator
April 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM
You're not the only one. Even though I can make the same updo in two minutes on ordinary days, I usually spend 30 minutes to make the same updo for a special event. It's still not enough time, and the updo looks worse each time I re-make it.

1nuitblanche
April 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I, too, am afflicted by this misfortune. My hair will look decent when it doesn't matter, and when it does matter, it won't, or it'll take seven tries to get it there, and then there's always the few strands that are pulling painfully. Oh well.

Ella
April 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
I have used so many bobby pins so often while I am growing my hair that nobody notices when my head is covered in them when it all goes wrong!