PDA

View Full Version : Hair shedding season?

Sarah4983
October 9th, 2009, 12:37 PM
I am really freaked out by the amount of hair I am losing this past week! I ran the wide tooth comb through once after my shower just now and a CLUMP of hair easily came out... I didn't think it was going to go down the sink. I started noticing my bald spots at my temples exactly a year ago...

Could it just be the time of year??

Oooor....possibly something else?

LaurelSpring
October 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I seem to be shedding alot right now also. My friend commented on this too so maybe it is a seasonal shed.

Stephichan
October 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I've seen a lot of people commenting on shedding right now, so it could just be a seasonal thing. However, I've recently linked one of my supplements to my increased shedding, either as a cause or as a contribution, so it can pay to look closely at some of the things you may be doing to your hair/scalp/body. I would, however, give it a few weeks to a month before you start looking away from the "seasonal shed" explanation.

Amara
October 9th, 2009, 04:45 PM
I've also been shedding more the past few weeks... can't remember if it happened last fall, I've never paid much attention to my shedding patterns.

MadHatter
October 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I've been going through a seasonal shed. Happens at the same time every year, I've noticed. It's starting to let up now.
Are you sure you're seeing bald spots, or if you really are, have they not always been there?

Sarah4983
October 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Well, thank you all for the replies; I feel better :)

I definitely had bald spots last year... I went out and bought Nutri-ox system and it's worked soooooo well. I don't know if the bald spots were always there or not, but definitely were more noticeable this time last year. I was losing tons of hair and there was almost no hair growing from my temples....

Here is an old picture from Dec '08 of the left bald spot...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3251&pictureid=52269

They are all filled in now!!!:cheese:

BUT I'm shedding like crazy again. It has to be an annual thing....

Moldilocks
October 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I've noticed more shedding the last couple of weeks. I was starting to get concerned. I guess I'll relax for a bit-- in case it is just seasonal shedding.

ademtce
October 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM
what kind of shampoo do you use (if it all) because its been known the shampoo's with SLS & ALS lad to premature balding and hair thinning.

Sarah4983
October 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I use Nutri-ox shampoo and conditioner on the front of my scalp and temples and it's worked wonders in growing my hair back. I use Herbal essences Drama Clean on the rest of my scalp...
Maybe I should use the Nutri-ox on my entire scalp.

Sarah4983
October 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM
what kind of shampoo do you use (if it all) because its been known the shampoo's with SLS & ALS lad to premature balding and hair thinning.

Also, months ago someone on this board suggested clarifying with a shampoo containing SLS... Which I do. I just read the article in your siggy. whoa.

Heidi_234
October 10th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Also, months ago someone on this board suggested clarifying with a shampoo containing SLS... Which I do. I just read the article in your siggy. whoa.
You clarify only once in a while, as opposed to use it regularly for washing, although some still do.

Jadestorm
October 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'm loosing a lot more hair than normal too. I think it has to do with the fall. My bunnies are losing a lot of hair too. :)

vanity_acefake
October 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM
What with me shedding at this time of the year and my 3 dogs shedding all the time my poor hoover must think we hate it!

Aeon F.
October 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Oh good, I'm not the only one! I've been shedding a lot more normal lately. I'm hoping it's just a seasonal thing- as I haven't made any changes in my routine, still taking my hair vitamins, etc.

Shermie Girl
October 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM

I have never seen any evidence or studies to support that claim.

To the OP, seasonal shedding is perfectly normal and as long as your hair isn't getting any thinner overall, it is nothing to worry about. I am getting my Fall shed on, right now. :D

aahavaa
October 15th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Ive been shedding loads also the past 3 weeks though it seems to be better the past couple of days.

Snowflakey
October 28th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I don't know if it's just me imagining, but I swear my hair's gotten thinner in the past week... When I comb with a widetooth comb after washing, I get at least 10 strands on my hands. When I'm shampooing, I also get hair coming onto my hands. And when I comb my hair throughout the day (maybe about twice), I get at least 10 strands every time.

Really, is this normal? Last year, my hair was quite a lot shorter so I never noticed any "fall season shed"... I'm freaking out. :(

ambychelle
October 29th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I don't know if it's just me imagining, but I swear my hair's gotten thinner in the past week... When I comb with a widetooth comb after washing, I get at least 10 strands on my hands. When I'm shampooing, I also get hair coming onto my hands. And when I comb my hair throughout the day (maybe about twice), I get at least 10 strands every time.

Really, is this normal? Last year, my hair was quite a lot shorter so I never noticed any "fall season shed"... I'm freaking out. :(

I get about 80 hairs in the shower and then when I use a wide tooth comb to detangle (okay, declump because my hair is pretty tangle free from the shower.. I just don't want it to dry all stuck to my head like that), I get another 50+ and then I lose another 50-80 throughout the rest of the day on wash days.

Just wanted you to feel better about your 10 hairs when you comb ;) ..I'd do chartwheels if I only lost 10 hairs when I comb after a shower.

pinchbeck
October 29th, 2009, 10:46 AM
My hair is in a towel turban at the moment and I was surprised that more hair shed in my hair catcher in the shower just moments ago. So...due to most people's comments about Fall shedding, this confirms what is happening. Even my cockatiel sheds!

brok3nwings
October 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
today i washed my hair and i freaked out a bit...i didnt even want to touch my hair anymore! it came at all once about 30 hairs... then more 30.. and i didnt combed my hair...just let it dry naturally. i dont even want to touch my hair lol ... last year i didnt notice any special shed at this time of the year. And the strange thing is, yes the weather is changing but it isnt a dramatic change at all ! i just want it to be a normal season shed..

Snowflakey
October 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
today i washed my hair and i freaked out a bit...i didnt even want to touch my hair anymore! it came at all once about 30 hairs... then more 30.. and i didnt combed my hair...just let it dry naturally. i dont even want to touch my hair lol ... last year i didnt notice any special shed at this time of the year. And the strange thing is, yes the weather is changing but it isnt a dramatic change at all ! i just want it to be a normal season shed..

Same, I didn't notice anything last year either...

And the scary thing is that my hair's actually gotten THINNER! It's pretty noticeable... My ponytails and braids just don't look as thick anymore. Could this be because I'm a vegetarian? Am I not eating enough for my hair to grow back? Should I start taking supplements?