View Full Version : Shiny Hair

09robiha
October 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM
No matter what i do i never seem to have frizz free shiny hair. I see the most fantastically shiny hair on this site but mine just wont do it. Is there anything i can use to help?? I have type 2b/c hair that is lightish blond with brown lowlights.

JamieRose
October 9th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Have you tried an ACV rinse? I've never done one but I've heard they're great for shininess.

friskybiznus
October 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Oiling (coconut, jojoba or EVOO) helps bring the shine out in my hair. There are a lot of threads on here about oiling.

LittleOrca
October 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I am a cone head (for now, it might change when more virgin hair grows out) and while I have very shiny hair, I still have a little bit of frizz. They are more like baby-hairs both from new growth and damage breaking, and I have just learned to live with it. I have never tried an ACV rinse, but I have heard that is great. I usually give my hair cold water the last few seconds in the shower, rinsing my hair with it completely, and I don't have as much frizz as I would normally get with just warm water. (Though the cold water rinse is getting harder to do as it gets colder outside! :D) I also love oils: Africa's Best Oil is a favorite, but it has a baby-powder smell not everyone likes.

Curlsgirl
October 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Any blow drying cuts down on shine for me and is the biggest culprit I think. Some hairtypes like 1a and darker are just shinier looking period. I will never have blinding shine like that. I find also that oils help and leave-in conditioners, and anything the helps the curls clump too. But by far, letting it dry naturally without blow-drying is the major thing. Might be my hairtype though.

mbaker223
October 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Well, here is what I do. First off... NO CONES for me anyway... they seal the cuticle and we need to get moisture in there first.

1. Wash hair in whatever method you choose except of course for SO.

2. Use an ACV rinse, wait a few minutes then LIGHTLY rinse that out with the coldest water you can stand.

3. Put in a leave-in conditioner (I make my own from my no-cone conditioner)

4. While the hair is still darn near dripping wet, lightly oil your hair with coconut oil. Let it air dry, then detangle once dry and it should be nice and shiny.

In addition..... my sister does this also, but she only leaves the oil in for a few moments then rinses it and then uses a cone conditioner to seal it. That doesn't work for me as my hair hates cones, but her hair loves it!

Cherry_Sprinkle
October 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Another vote for oil :)

little_acorn
October 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM
oil here and cold water rinses

serious
October 9th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'll add honey to the list.
And fenugreek, if you don't mind the smell..

Anje
October 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I hate to say it, but the "lightish blond" might be part of why you're not seeing shine like you want. Blond hair reflects so much light due to its color that it's often difficult to see shine on it like you see on dark hair.

Oils and/or silicones help with shine and frizz, as will not handling it much when it's dry, since I see your hair is quite wavy. Taking pictures with a flash also helps give blinding shine...

grldollies
October 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
For wet comb out I use Giovanni Frizz Be Gone, Citre Shine Anti-frizz Spray Laminator Mist Shine. Sometimes I will use Aveda Brilliant conditioner & Emollient Finishing Gloss.
I dab a little Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Blend on my ends & hair for a shinny finish after a partial blow dry & style (I have oily skin & hair if I do not blow dry my scalp area it will lie flat & look very bad half way through the day in hot Fl). That blend works real well for me, it soaks in nicely and doesn't leave my hair greasy or too stringy, its very light and has a pleasant smell. I buy it at Wal-Mart in the ethnic section. I saw it at Albertsons & Publix but it was a lot more expensive then at Wal-Mart.
I usually apply oil to my hair at night before I wash it in the morning two to three times a week. Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Blend & Apricot Oil are my Favs. I sometimes use Africa's Best - Ultimate Herbal Oil w/ginseng (red Cap) and coconut oil. I also wash my face with grape-seed oil.

Supplements I take:
(I have some bone/joint issues which also affects hair skin & nails too):

Neo-Cell Super Collagen+C supplement

New Chapter Bone Strength Take Care - Algas Calcareas, D3, k1&2. From Algae = Algaecal powder, calcium, silica, magnesium, strontium, vanadium.

Citracal plus bone density builder W/ Vitamin D Plus Genistein.

Natrol Biosil Collagen Stimulator for skin, hair and nails

Solaray - Deep Vein Support - circulation formula

Paragon Beauty & Skin Supplement

Every other day 80mg saw pimento – In women I read it blocks DHT (makes hair fall out)

Alternate a multi Vit & Multi B each day & sometime add Ecter C

Flaxseed omega3 supplement

Paragon CLA before workout

Elphie
October 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I use conefree products (most of the time), coconut oil, periodic ACV rinses in chilly water and I eat a lot of sunflower seeds.

I swear by the seeds!

Dementia1013
October 9th, 2009, 04:00 PM
For me switching to no cones, cold rinse and coconut oil make my hair wicked shiny. :D

Mary <><
October 9th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Adding honey to my cone free conditioner is a HUGE shine booster for me!

Kris Dove
October 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I use a shampoo specifically for blondes, plenty moisture, and a little serum, and I also blow dry my hair with an ionic hairdryer.

Thinthondiel
October 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM
WO has reduced my frizz significantly - my hair used to be huge and frizzy, but now I'm often frizz-free with no fly-aways - and it has given me more shine. I know WO is not for everyone, though.

Other than that, I don't have any other suggestions than oil, honey and/or vinegar rinses.

Dars
October 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Going cone free CO, using no towels, when I use no products and no heat all help add shine to my hair.

Fractalsofhair
October 9th, 2009, 07:23 PM
It is possible to get shine with blonde hair.

Silicones are amazing for us to get a true shine, but they can cause frizz.

A deep moisturizing treatment along works pretty well. Since you're a wurly, I'd suggest not brushing and only comb with a wide toothed come in a shower. My hair likes to be brushed with some oils on it.

julliams
October 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Try a cold water rinse at the end of your wash routine. I've been trying that lately and it seems to help. Take a photo of your hair with a flash and see if it's not shiney. I find my hair looks much more shiney with the flash than without.

Juliette

GoddesJourney
October 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I've found that damage gives me frizz and so does SLS shampoo. Unfortunately, lighter hair doesn't show the shine as well. Sometimes it looks shinier in pictures because of the flash on the camera. Also, as mentioned before, oil really helps. Really light oiling.

klcqtee
October 9th, 2009, 09:38 PM
My hair is pretty frizzy and dull looking when I washed it frequently. Now that I've cut down to twice a week (S+C 1 or 2 times a week, CO if I need to wash it in between due to it being sweaty and gross) it's incredible! My hair is smooth, and shiny! It's never been so pretty before! The one down side: It takes my hair down to about a 1b/c. I don't mind, but if you really love your waves, and want to encourage them, then my method is not the way to go. I'm okay with it though. To encourage waves, I just plop until my hair is dry, and use minimal Conditioner.

Moldilocks
October 9th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Henna makes shine.
Cheers, :O)

clairenewcastle
October 9th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Over the years I found the combination of cold water rinses, jojoba oil and nutrition were the best shine boosters I knew.
However since joining this forum I've discovered catnip tea which has radically changed my haircare routine for good. My hair loves that herb! Although I haven't used it very long I'm amazed by the improvement in the condition of my hair.
For me catnip is certainly the best shine booster of all.