PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" = A mile?

Dementia1013
October 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Ok, so you may be slightly confused by the title. I recently got my ends trimmed due to split ends, and though it was only a 1/4" I feel like my hair is SOO SHORT now. I don't understand it. Even looking in the mirror my hair looks significantly shorter than it was.

Does anybody else go thru this? Or am I the only one? I mean in my head I know that I only lost 1/4" but oh my good gracious I could swear that I had at least 5" cut off. Perhaps there is some crazy serial barber out there breaking into homes and cutting people's hair!!! o_0

Anyway... so... yeah. Anyone else feel this way when they get their hair trimmed?

patience
October 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
:agree: Oh yes. I just trimmed 1 1/2 - 2 inches a couple of days ago. I feel that it's around BSL. I know it's not (still hovering around hip to TB), but it was just starting to feel long to me before I cut it. It's amazing how a little itty bitty bit of length can change how it feels on your back.

embee
October 8th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Did you *see* the trimmings on the floor? Were they 1/4 inch? ;)

That said, there is a tremendous difference in freshly cut ends. They feel altogether unlike the old ones.

krn2891
October 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I feel the same way. Even when I'm trimming it myself I feel like I cut of half of my hair even if its half and inch

Amara
October 8th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Eyebrow raised here... did you trim it yourself or see the trimmed ends? Perhaps a bit more than 1/4" was actually taken off!

RancheroTheBee
October 8th, 2009, 09:39 PM
:( That's how I feel. Since the damaged ends are gone, the shrinkage is incredible, and I keep thinking, where is my hair?

ericthegreat
October 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I understand exactly how you feel. I haven't had a trim since Feb 2nd of this year, and don't plan on trimming until at least sometime next year. I'm dead set on growing out to my terminal length, so taking ANYTHING off is really counter intuitive.

Are you SURE you had only 1/4 of an inch taken off??? Honestly the difference between say 1/4 of an inch to 1/2 an inch to maybe even 3/4 of an inch isn't that noticeable when your getting it taken off. However, when you're finished with your trim, the difference is definitely noticeable when you stare at yourself in the mirror. Maybe you actually accidently had more than 1/4 of an inch taken off.

Your hair texture is 1c. Perhaps even taking off the bits of your ends was enough to encourage your hair's slight natural waves to spring up even further, thus contributing to the shrinkage factor.

Flynn
October 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I'm also going to say "are you sure"? The number of times I've had the hairdresser show me how much they were going to cut off (usually 2-5 cm) and I'll end up with 20 cm or more on the floor... Hm.

Konstifik
October 9th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Definatley! I trimmed the hair last week. Feels like I cut off two years of growth... But I think it's all in our heads. :)

Nini
October 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Oh, yeah, I feel naked every time I take off something, but I'm the only one seeing it. And I've asked around;)

Nini

ravenreed
October 9th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I am going through the opposite. Ever little bit of growth, I am thinking hmm. I must have grown 2 inches since my last measuring and I will measure it and it will be a half an inch.

rchorr
October 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Oh, yeah! I just trimmed a couple of inches off, and it feels so short! It's not that much shorter, of course, but your muscle memory definitely gets fooled! :)

RCHORR'

Hiriel
October 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Definitely. Especially when I brush it, or pull it back in a ponytail, it's so obvious to my arms that the hair ends before it should. It feels wrong.

JamieLeigh
October 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Yup! I consistently trim, because I like my blunt ends right now. And every time I do, it feels like a foot has come off of the end, even though it's less than half an inch most times. :(

BUT....I DO appreciate the nice feeling of new, blunt, soft ends. That balances out the feeling of loss for me. :D

Wicked Princess
October 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Excellent timing on this thread. :D

Two days ago, I trimmed 1 inch off of the bottom-most part of my hair - not the entire hemline. I have layered hair that I would like to even up some. And WOW! What a difference it makes! I did not think that my hemline would look so much thicker from so small a difference.

But now it feels like I'm missing 5 inches! When I pull the strands straight, to feel how long my hair "really is" - my missing length is very noticeable.

I know that only 1 inch was gone...my fiancé was the one that trimmed it, and he showed me the ends...but it still feels like so much is gone!

Heidi_234
October 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I know why I feel like that on every trim of any length - I tried to grow my hair out for 10 years, but yet everytime I went to the hairdresser they took off way more than I grew and cut deeper layers in. So everytime I went home after a 'trim' my hair was miles shorter. After years of experiencing this sort of feeling after trimming, no wonder I feel like my hair is so much shorter when actually I trimmed less than an inch.

frodolaughs
October 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I think when you're trimming cutting 1/2" can feel like cutting 1/4" Afterwards, having your hair 1/4" shorter can feel like you've cut 2 inches--or more.
I'm glad to know it's not just me!