PDA

View Full Version : Two left hands?

MirandaWelch
October 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM
You know how they say people who can't dance have two left feet? Well when I try to braid, I feel like I have two left hands. I just cannot get the hang of it. Even the simplest braids fall apart and I get the strands knotted and can't even finish the braid :confused:

I tried to learn to knit one time and had the same exact feelings.

Anyone else have problems putting their hair up?

maegquare
October 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I've felt like that lots of times. Don't give up. Keep practicing and it will get easier. I'm still not very good at french braiding and still can't dutch braid without making a mess, but wore mine in a simple single braid for years because I couldn't figure out how to do updos without a gazillion, painful bobby pins. You will be amazed how easy and comfortable hair sticks can make your life! Watching videos helped me learn a few comfortable buns, and as I got more practice and confidence, I'm excited to learn so many new choices for my hair.

Look through the articles here; there's lots of great instructions and links to more pictures and videos. Also, try searching at YouTube under 'long hair styles'--there's a lot of great ones there that helped me a lot. Many of them were made by members here.

alys
October 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Are you sucessgul at braiding other people's hair without the left-handed feelings? If so, perhaps it's the angle that's akward. I can braid and frenchbraid and herringbone braid my own hair behind my head but cannot braid another person's hair to save my life :)

MirandaWelch
October 8th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've felt like that lots of times. Don't give up. Keep practicing and it will get easier. I'm still not very good at french braiding and still can't dutch braid without making a mess, but wore mine in a simple single braid for years because I couldn't figure out how to do updos without a gazillion, painful bobby pins. You will be amazed how easy and comfortable hair sticks can make your life! Watching videos helped me learn a few comfortable buns, and as I got more practice and confidence, I'm excited to learn so many new choices for my hair.

Look through the articles here; there's lots of great instructions and links to more pictures and videos. Also, try searching at YouTube under 'long hair styles'--there's a lot of great ones there that helped me a lot. Many of them were made by members here.

Thank you. I have been browsing the articles and there are so many beautiful buns I'd love to emulate. That's actually what prompted the post, I gave one a whirl. Fail lol. I will keep trying, maybe practice will help :)

Are you sucessgul at braiding other people's hair without the left-handed feelings? If so, perhaps it's the angle that's akward. I can braid and frenchbraid and herringbone braid my own hair behind my head but cannot braid another person's hair to save my life :)

I've never really tried to braid any one elses hair. I don't think it'd be as hard, because then I could at least see what I was doing. I think it's the "by feel" thing that's getting me.

alys
October 8th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Good luck to you! Braids are wonderful and like the others say - You'll get it :)

chesapeake
October 8th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I have the same problem. The best I can do is braid two side braids, and those don' even look that good. I am much better at braiding the hair of others. Now that my hair is longer, I'm making my mind up to be patient with myself and stick it out - I just wish it wasn't so awkward!

maegquare
October 8th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I was just thinking, have you tried rope braiding? A 2 strand rope braid is pretty easy to do and looks cute as-is and really pretty as a bun. Here's one of the videos that helped me finally figure this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw.

Also, this probably doesn't help but I was just remembering the tangled up mess I made trying to do an inside out ponytail. My husband had to rescue me and I asked him to flip it for me the next time I tried it. I can laugh about it now, but finally learned to turn my head upside down (well, duh, why didn't I think of that before? :0) If I can finally learn new skills, anyone can. :D

MirandaWelch
October 8th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I was just thinking, have you tried rope braiding? A 2 strand rope braid is pretty easy to do and looks cute as-is and really pretty as a bun. Here's one of the videos that helped me finally figure this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcPuruQMAw.

Also, this probably doesn't help but I was just remembering the tangled up mess I made trying to do an inside out ponytail. My husband had to rescue me and I asked him to flip it for me the next time I tried it. I can laugh about it now, but finally learned to turn my head upside down (well, duh, why didn't I think of that before? :0) If I can finally learn new skills, anyone can. :D

Oh thank you for the video I'll have to try that! :D

Rohele
October 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Keep practicing - it will get easier! :)

I have a hard time doing braids if I'm looking in the mirror - I get confused as to which hand is doing what.

Darkhorse1
October 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM
There is actually a tool to help people french braid/braid hair. It helps by holding the off pieces to help you not 'lose' your way. I think I saw some in Claires Boutique.

It took me AGEs to learn french braiding, but I did it :) I'd practice on someone else or yarn etc--the more you practice, the easier it gets. of course, I also braid horses so that was a good way to practice :D

MirandaWelch
October 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
There is actually a tool to help people french braid/braid hair. It helps by holding the off pieces to help you not 'lose' your way. I think I saw some in Claires Boutique.

It took me AGEs to learn french braiding, but I did it :) I'd practice on someone else or yarn etc--the more you practice, the easier it gets. of course, I also braid horses so that was a good way to practice :D
Oh thank you, I will see if I can find it :)

Lucky you to have such lovely subjects to practice on!

Darkhorse1
October 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Miranda--ah, I'm blessed! Though, I've mastered braiding by the time I started with the horses....some of the ones I braided where horrid subjects, but they looked nice after ;) Some horses just don't like to stand for that period of time :D