PDA

View Full Version : need opinions on what to do with highlights

curlytiff27
October 8th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Hi ladies. Well, I've been struggling with my hair issues for the last two months. I've finally figured out the this last time I got my highlights done they didn't lighten my hair as much. This made me new highligted hair softer than the rest of my hair. Call me crazy but I honestly thought my hair was thinning out because the texture was so different than the rest. On top of that the layers that were put in my hair made it seem so thin. It was bsl but from the tons of layers and the stringy ended as a result, I had atleast 4 inches taken off at the beginning of Sept. I looked ay a picture of my hair taken last Friday and you can see the difference in my new highlights from the rest of my hair. Hence this is the part that's so soft. Also, the highlights halo my hair curl. Honestly does.

Well my question is, is it safe to go and get them redone? Its been almost 6 weeks since I had them done. I just don't know what to do. And bo one else in my personal life understands what I am going thru. They look at me life I am crazy and say oh you have a ton of hair. Well...half of its gone!! LOL

Thanks for reading and thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

Oh and I usually go every 3 months for root touch ups.

juliaxena
October 8th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Highlights don't look so problematic if they are not redone for a few months so I'd wait. Personally I wouldn't have them done because after a few touch ups the highlighted hair gets like a very weak elastic, strechy and spiderweb like. Well I had such experience once at least. My hair is doing much better just being dyed with semi permanent. So if you plan to keep doing them wait as much time as possible.

jojo
October 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I get my highlights done (roots only) every 6 months, I find they lighten up with washes due to toners many hair dressers put on. Id give it a few more washes and see if your lighten up too.

Just make sure you give your hair plenty of moistering treatments as I am sure you know already.

grldollies
October 8th, 2009, 12:24 PM
A year and a half ago my hair started to recede and thin out. I believe due to nutritional deficiencies I had from drugs I have to take and I also tried Ali which is what put me over the edge in a nose dive to poorer health and bad hair!. I had very bad back pain that advil wouldn’t even help. My knees hurt too! Off to my doctor I went & we did a whole lot of tests, found out my bones had thinned. We discussed me taking supplements, which he thought that would be best to try before any prescriptions – so that’s what I did.
I started taking supplements targeting hair, skin & Bone ect. now my knee & back don't hurt any more. I just did my 100th workout at Curves since I started in Jan. When I started @ Curves my right knee hurt every time now it doesn’t plus I've lost 45lbs and overall 39.5”. Yea! My receding hairline has now has grown back and looks a whole lot better.
SupplementsI take:
Neo-Cell Super Collagen+C supplement,
New Chapter Bone Strength Take Care - Algas Calcareas, D3, k1&2. From Algae = Algaecal powder, calcium, silica, magnesium, strontium, vanadium.
Citracal plus bone density builder W/ Vitamin D Plus Genistein.
Natrol Biosil Collagen Stimulator for skin, hair and nails
Solaray - Deep Vein Support - circulation formula
Paragon Beauty & Skin Supplement
Every other day 80mg saw pimento – In women I read it blocks DHT (makes hair fall out)
Alternate a multi Vit & Multi B each day & sometime add Ecter C
Flaxseed omega3 supplement
Paragon CLA before workout

My goal has been to take a variety of bone, hair skin supplements besides regular vitamins to improve my odds of something helping me. Thankfully something has worked because I am loads better.
Remember too much of a good thing is bad - what I've done is for instance the calcium, one says take two twice a day and the other says take three so i will do half the dosage of each & take a multi B a couple times a week & multi a couple times a week but not on the same day, so I do not get too much. (m-f in the week) I will also skip a week every so often. I do not take any on the weekend unless I feel like I am catching a cold - I will take ester c. Both my daughter & DH has had a cold a couple of months ago & I didn't get it - just started to feel under the weather so I quickly took Ester C, one Multi B and two Echinacea goldenseal blend - plus extra fresh fruit that weekend.
One should be pro-active on nutrition but not get crazy - balance and good sense.
Read labels & if you have too jot down dosages, make a list/chart when to take what, so you don't take too much or take something twice. If I have time I will use a day pill box & pre-plan the week. Then I don't have to try to remember what I took yesterday.

Prescription Drug Depletion Charts
http://www.invitehealth.com/page.htm?PG=DrugDepletion
http://www.drpaz.com/files/Download/DRUGS%20THAT%20CAN%20DEPLETE%20VITAMINS%20.pdf

heatherdazy
October 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Why not just do the top of your head so you don't have roots, but you don't have to worry about damaging the length?

grldollies
October 8th, 2009, 12:30 PM
A year and a half ago my hair started to recede and thin out. I believe due to nutritional deficiencies I had from drugs I have to take and I also tried Ali which is what put me over the edge in a nose dive to poorer health and bad hair!. I had very bad back pain that advil wouldn’t even help. My knees hurt too! Off to my doctor I went & we did a whole lot of tests, found out my bones had thinned. We discussed me taking supplements, which he thought that would be best to try before any prescriptions – so that’s what I did.
I started taking supplements targeting hair, skin & Bone ect. now my knee & back don't hurt any more. I just did my 100th workout at Curves since I started in Jan. When I started @ Curves my right knee hurt every time now it doesn’t plus I've lost 45lbs and overall 39.5”. Yea! My receding hairline has now has grown back and looks a whole lot better.
SupplementsI take:
Neo-Cell Super Collagen+C supplement,
New Chapter Bone Strength Take Care - Algas Calcareas, D3, k1&2. From Algae = Algaecal powder, calcium, silica, magnesium, strontium, vanadium.
Citracal plus bone density builder W/ Vitamin D Plus Genistein.
Natrol Biosil Collagen Stimulator for skin, hair and nails
Solaray - Deep Vein Support - circulation formula
Paragon Beauty & Skin Supplement
Every other day 80mg saw pimento – In women I read it blocks DHT (makes hair fall out)
Alternate a multi Vit & Multi B each day & sometime add Ecter C
Flaxseed omega3 supplement
Paragon CLA before workout

My goal has been to take a variety of bone, hair skin supplements besides regular vitamins to improve my odds of something helping me. Thankfully something has worked because I am loads better.
Remember too much of a good thing is bad - what I've done is for instance the calcium, one says take two twice a day and the other says take three so i will do half the dosage of each & take a multi B a couple times a week & multi a couple times a week but not on the same day, so I do not get too much. (m-f in the week) I will also skip a week every so often. I do not take any on the weekend unless I feel like I am catching a cold - I will take ester c. Both my daughter & DH has had a cold a couple of months ago & I didn't get it - just started to feel under the weather so I quickly took Ester C, one Multi B and two Echinacea goldenseal blend - plus extra fresh fruit that weekend.
One should be pro-active on nutrition but not get crazy - balance and good sense.
Read labels & if you have too jot down dosages, make a list/chart when to take what, so you don't take too much or take something twice. If I have time I will use a day pill box & pre-plan the week. Then I don't have to try to remember what I took yesterday.

Prescription Drug Depletion Charts
http://www.invitehealth.com/page.htm?PG=DrugDepletion
http://www.drpaz.com/files/Download/DRUGS%20THAT%20CAN%20DEPLETE%20VITAMINS%20.pdf
You may have some deposits in your hair that may be making your highlights not take, I used to use a clarifying shampoo and a lot of conditioners when a highlighted every other month. You also could be experiencing nutritional issues due to stress, drugs, age, hormones ecetra. I would try to build up your hair health for a couple of months before you did your hair.

jojo
October 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Why not just do the top of your head so you don't have roots, but you don't have to worry about damaging the length?
This is all I do, in fact on the George Michael (hair dresser not singer!) site they suggest this and go on further to say it is less damaging if you must colour!