PDA

View Full Version : How Locks of Love broke my heart

mbaker223
October 8th, 2009, 06:19 AM
So this is just my personal story that I wanted to share, I think mainly because it will make me feel better to tell someone who would understand.

Quite a few years ago, I was trying to raise money/awareness for cancer patients. Doing so, I cut off all of my BSL hair and donated the length to L.O.L. In addition, I shaved my head. Don't be mortified, it felt good to do it for a good cause. People sponsored me to shave my head and I ended up raising over $5000 that went to the Children's Cancer Research Fund. And... it happened to be an incredibly hot summer but I was the coolest chick around :).

It was maybe 6 months later that I found LHC. I loved it from the beginning. Then I ran across many members saying how they disliked this celebrity because they supported locks of love. I was in HORROR! I thought, "My god, these people love their long hair so much they won't even donate it to those less fortunate." But, then I stopped and thought, this isn't likely that these people would begrudge ANYONE something that they needed, especially children with cancer. So, I looked up locks of love on the BBB and read several articles... And I sat at my computer and just cried.

I discovered that they sell the hair and that very few if ANY donations are made into prosthesis for the kids. The "charity" made over 1.9 MILLION dollars from selling the hair. I felt sick to my stomach. I wasn't so upset that I lost my hair for nothing, I was upset that I was lied to and that my hair that COULD have helped a child was probably in a hair store somewhere.

I felt so betrayed and angry. I'm one of those people who can hold a grudge forever... I'm hispanic you know :). So I decided I wasn't going to take this sitting down. I wrote to every news media I could and tried to get them to do a story on L.O.L. I had a few successes, there was a piece in the times that I like to think I was partially responsible for. I then decided that I could help these kids in other ways.

I'm a phlebotomist. And I do toot my own horn, because while I am not good at many things, I am excellent at my job. I can stick you and be done in under 2 minutes and I promise you wouldn't have felt a thing. So I donated my time, I was getting the bloodwork done for these kids who were too weak to come in. I went to their houses and drew it.

So I guess in a way me getting so upset was productive. And I just want to say thank you to all of you for opening my eyes to the fact that even charities can be corrupt. I will continue to donate my time and I want to encourage all of you to love your locks by sticking em' up in a bun and donating your time :)

Thanks for listening everyone! I really do feel better for just writing it out.:cheese:

Avalonna
October 8th, 2009, 06:37 AM
What a great, yet sad, story. My daughter donated her hair to LOL several years ago, when she was around 9. She was so proud of herself for helping kids less fortunate than herself. Then I joined LHC and learned that LOL isn't all it seems.

You are to be commended for giving so much of your time to kids in need. Good for you!

thunderlilies
October 8th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for that story! It's a good reminder. I was 'weasled' into giving away my hair to locks of love by a salon once (before I knew better - lol)....

JessTheMess
October 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
That is just terrible. L.O.L. should be made to clarify what they do with the hair before they accept the donations.

halo_tightens
October 8th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Thank you for sharing your story!

LoL has a hardcore following in my little town. At least once or twice a year there's a mass-shearing event for them at some salon or benefit event. There seems to be a lot of peer pressure involved sometimes, from what I've seen. One young girl decides to donate, who then guilts her BFF into joining her, and then both of them get their moms involved, and their coach's sister's roommate's niece... and so on.

The thing is, it's really personal for these people. Many of them have lost a friend or relative to cancer, and they feel like they're honoring their lost loved one's memory by donating their hair. They feel so fulfilled and uplifted by the thought of their personal sacrifice, their hard-grown hair going to help some poor little child... It makes me very sad, now that I've learned more about LoL.

Perhaps we need a little dose of truth in my town, as well. It's creepy though-- I think the LoL-love runs so deep here that I might just be personally attacked for speaking against them!

Maybe we need some anonymous truth-spreading. Yeah....

longhairedfairy
October 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I wasn't so upset that I lost my hair for nothing, I was upset that I was lied to and that my hair that COULD have helped a child was probably in a hair store somewhere.
You didn't lose your hair for nothing. I understand being upset that you were misled, but remember that you did help raise money and awareness. You did it to help people and I'm glad that there are kind, caring people like you.:grouphug:

Peggy E.
October 8th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Thank you for sharing your story. You should not feel disappointed in yourself, though, for you made a donation for a noble and just purpose. What YOU did was done with a generous, kind and giving heart, an indication of the wonderful woman you are. It's a privilege to know you and have you here with us!

As for the insidious inroads LOL seems to be mowing into the general population's consciousness, it just keeps rolling along. Has anyone seen the previews for the new series (HBO? STARZ?) featuring LOL? It's highlighting some of the individual cases of long hair donations and the specific child helped by the donation. I think it's a direct response to the rising swell of protest against them - but there will be even more of a push to have us all cut our hair for LOL.

There are many organizations that truly do wonderful work for those in need. Too bad they don't get the huge publicity that LOL has managed to garner for itself.

Tabitha
October 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I then decided that I could help these kids in other ways.

I'm a phlebotomist. And I do toot my own horn, because while I am not good at many things, I am excellent at my job. I can stick you and be done in under 2 minutes and I promise you wouldn't have felt a thing. So I donated my time, I was getting the bloodwork done for these kids who were too weak to come in. I went to their houses and drew it.

So I guess in a way me getting so upset was productive.

Bless you for this! :smooch: good phlebotomists are wonderful, but bad ones can make such a painful mess. I'm needlephobic and really appreciate gentle quick blood tests. I've ended up with huge bruises, even though I have good veins and no health problems so your skill with these poor children who have difficult veins and need multiple sticks must be so welcome, not to mention seeing them in the comfort of their own homes.

GlennaGirl
October 8th, 2009, 09:30 AM
You know what, mbaker? You did something from the heart. You did it out of caring and love. THAT is something to put a smile on your face. Goodness tends to pay forward. I know LoL is misleading and I know you received a shock...BUT...don't regret that you have a good heart. That part, nobody can ever take away from you...not even for a good cause.

BranwenWolf
October 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I encourage everyone who dares to mention LOL to me to actually do some research, and that is after I got duped and donated. I still remember the weight and thickness of the hair I cut off. Bet those people were just rubbing their hands with glee when they got it in the mail.

I feel bad about donating in 2005, but if nothing else I got to try short hair for a bit. (short being just about shoulders) I'm sort of annoyed because I don't seem to have the growth I did a few years ago.
My mission now is to educate about LOL being a sham organization.

mbaker: Bless you for being a good phlebotomist- my mom is a med tech and says a good one is worth her weight in gold. I have thick skin and always seem to get stuck with the ham-handed people just out of nursing school. I swear one day I am going to offer to stick myself- I can draw blood from animals.

saskia_madding
October 8th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I am all for volunteering. It is an excellent way to ensure your contributions are used appropriately and ethically.

I volunteer at an animal rescue that is pretty corrupt and horrific. So instead of donating money, I donate my time and I purchase some of the supplies that we use in the back (like animal shampoo).

That way I can control where my money is going, and I can still help the animals in the shelter. Because even if the people running the place are terrible, the animals still really need the help.

cobblersmaid
October 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I am all for volunteering. It is an excellent way to ensure your contributions are used appropriately and ethically.

I volunteer at an animal rescue that is pretty corrupt and horrific. So instead of donating money, I donate my time and I purchase some of the supplies that we use in the back (like animal shampoo).

That way I can control where my money is going, and I can still help the animals in the shelter. Because even if the people running the place are terrible, the animals still really need the help.

What she said.

Fractalsofhair
October 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
That is terrible, but at least it was only hair you lost. You raised $5000 which will help those cancer patients a lot more than hair. Seriously, if a little kid has cancer, they probably don't care if their wig is "real human hair" or a synthetic one, and they will probably be more comfy with just a comfy hat on...Hair does grow back after chemo, and after cutting it short! Had you donated $ to Locks of Love, I think that that would be very tragic. But hair, it grows. It takes a lot of work, and I wouldn't suggest donating it to a sham "charity", but if you do that by mistake out of wanting to help others, you were trying to help others, and you will soon have long hair for yourself! And then, if anyone you personally know wants a wig if they're going thru chemo, you now know how you can actually help them!

BirdieGene
October 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Thank you So much for sharing your story here.

prittykitty
October 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I am sure that they sold some of the hair to companies who make hair extensions. This is really sad when you can't even trust a charity.

apynip
October 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
every time i hear these stories I'm proud of my self that i kept my poney tail instead of giving it off to be sold to a bogus charity. ( i lost it in the move though... i think a neighbor threw it away)

Beatnik Guy
October 8th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I ended up raising over $5000 that went to the Children's Cancer Research Fund.

We always say that it's best to give to cancer research. :rockerdud

JamieLeigh
October 8th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Thank you for the story. :flower: It's true that LOL is a big scam, but don't let that undermine the sacrifice and the feeling that you were helping someone in need. That's the main thing, is that you wanted to help someone, and you did everything you thought you could do in order to make that happen. If there were more people with that mentality out there, I'm sure we'd see a lot more being done as far as treatments and whatnot that REAL charities support. :grouphug:

I always say it's better to donate money to cancer research than to donate your hair to a fictitious child. As one of my friends put it, "I'm sure the kid would rather be cancer-free and have her OWN hair, than to have cancer and be wearing MINE." If hair is the center of someone's universe, then that person can grow his/her hair out and donate the money he/she WOULD have spent on salon visits to the charity of his/her choice. :)

Teazel
October 8th, 2009, 03:56 PM
mbaker, you rock. :rockerdud

Wicked Princess
October 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM
What Locks of Love actually does isn't so much "wrong" as much as it is "not even remotely the same thing as they promote themselves to be". They do provide wigs to adults who would "need them" - but they sell them those wigs. This is not charity...it's a BUSINESS. I think I would like them better if they just CALLED themselves a business instead of trying to defraud the public.

I, too, have donated to Locks of Love, but it wasn't with passion. At the time, I had tailbone length hair, and I cut it to waist (this was my decision, I wasn't pressured into it) and the salon woman told me that they could always donate it if I wanted, rather than just throw it away. So I did. :) I wasn't going to keep it anyway...I hardly cared what is done with it! I could only imagine how terrible you must feel, when you DID care.

:grouphug:

RubyRose
October 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I promised a woman two years ago that I would donate the next time they came to my school. I think I'll reconsider now. Thank you.

clairenewcastle
October 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Please don't regret selling your hair to them. The most important thing is that your heart was in the right place when you done so. It was a lovely gesture on your part.
As the old saying goes "It's the thought that counts."

Odie
October 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I don't want to defend LOL. In fact, I don't know a lot about them.

But I do have a question. You're donating something of yours to an organization, which will turn around and re-sell it to those in need. How is this different from, say, Goodwill? They do exactly the same thing. Take your old things and re-sell them to those in need.

Are they wigs they sell not reasonably priced?

It is because the donated things are not available to the general public?

Is it because places like Goodwill also give back to the community by employing individuals with special needs?

Do they mis-represent themselves, whereas thrift stores are more transparant as to what happens with your donations?

As I've said, there may be more going on here than I know about. I'd be shocked if there wasn't. But the inherent concept seems okay to me. Especially if they use their profits to give back to the community, or give to research foundations.

Please educate me!

lora410
October 8th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Yup. L.O.L makes a killing on hair and soo many people are willing to hack it off for them without getting the full facts. However, you raised money so it wasn't for nothing. I myself didn't know this either about LOL until I came to these boards and did some research. Also a lot of the hair gets tossed out not just sold. I am glad you donate your time to helping these kids and making it less painful for them. I just had an IV placed in the other day. Now that it is taken out I have a bruise the size of a nickel on my arm, not to meantion the IV hurt once it was in (amen for morphine shot) Kudos to you :flower:

angelthadiva
October 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. :flower:

Yours brings a recent exchange to mind that I had with my dental hygienist last week. I had to take my hair down because the bun was killing my head when she had me tipped back. She hadn't seen my length before; so that prompted the LOL convo.

After 10 minutes of explaining LOL to her she was :shocked: that so many people donate, and she too assumed it was for wigs for kid's who had cancer--And no idea that they SELL the wigs--I hadn't even gotten to the selling donated hair yet. The wigs they give to kids with alopecia cost between $3500-$6000 depending on the financial needs of the family. She sat, listening intently stunned. She thanked me for telling her about it and I'm not opposed to people donating and offered Pantene's program as an alternative. They provide wigs for women with CANCER or who are going through cancer treatments and they provide them for FREE.

I joked with her that I'm donating everything when I check out of this world because I'm not going to need this extra stuff where I'm going ;) Plus, I donate blood due to having a rare blood type and not many of us do.

OP, I think what you did was a selfless act of kindness...For that, you will not lose your reward. It is up to LOL to do the right thing with what you did so graciously. Shame on them on one point, but in a way I'm thankful because this slight indignity has ignited a fire in your belly to educate...For that I am thankful!! :flower:

angelthadiva
October 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM

But I do have a question. You're donating something of yours to an organization, which will turn around and re-sell it to those in need. How is this different from, say, Goodwill? They do exactly the same thing. Take your old things and re-sell them to those in need.

Is it because places like Goodwill also give back to the community by employing individuals with special needs?

Do they mis-represent themselves, whereas thrift stores are more transparant as to what happens with your donations?

As I've said, there may be more going on here than I know about. I'd be shocked if there wasn't. But the inherent concept seems okay to me. Especially if they use their profits to give back to the community, or give to research foundations.

Please educate me!

GW and LOL: GW people know their donated items will be sold at GW. LOL, people are under the impression that wigs will be given to kids with cancer. When in fact, most are suffering from Alopecia which is not non-life threatening.

The wigs are sold between $3500-$6000 on a sliding scale depending on the needs of the family.

Most of the hair that is donated is deemed "unacceptable" and therefore sold for profit.

HTH

Bene
October 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM
S I'm one of those people who can hold a grudge forever... I'm hispanic you know :).

Nothing like a good feud to make the blood pump just right :D

Alun
October 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I don't think that LoL particularly misrepresent themselves. Rather, other people misrepresent what they do, and LoL's "sin" is that they do little or nothing to put people straight on the facts, perhaps because they figure that "all publicity is good publicity". When actually asked, they seem to answer truthfully, but they don't volunteer the facts, and they seem to justify it in terms of not wanting to upset the donors.

That said, even if they were everything that people say they are, which they aren't, I'd never donate my hair. It takes too long to grow. Is that selfish? Probably no more so than refusing to donate all my possessions to the poor and take a vow of poverty.

Bellalalala
October 8th, 2009, 07:26 PM
OP:

Your post is lovely.

I'm so happy you've found a way to feed your soul.
On top of that, I seriously respect a talented phlebotomist!
You are doing wonderful things with your skills.

Cheers

AprilElf
October 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I loved reading your story, mbaker, though I'm sorry that you felt betrayed after donating your hair with such good intentions. :grouphug:

What you are doing now, with donating your time and skills, is just wonderful! :blossom:

Aer
October 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I'm so sorry for your heartbreak. But as another poster stated, you didn't do it for nothing, you raised money and your heart was in it. And it's wonderful your great at your job, when I was kid, I was terrified of needles, and the rougher and longer it took, the more my fear would grow. I'm glad there are medial professionals like you out there.

Quixii
October 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I hope this isn't against any rules, but I posted a link to this thread to my Facebook. I have some friends that were going to donate to LoL, so I warned them about what I've read, and I hope anyone else will read this thread and find a more reputable place to donate or decide to keep their hair. =)
I've already had one friend comment in shock.

But as to the actual friend, I admire your ability to not only donate your hair with your whole heart in it but to raise money as well. Your passion for this cause is is amazing, and I hope you know that just because your hair may not have gone where you wanted, it was still symbolically helpful with the rest of your help. :)

Darkhorse1
October 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Don't regret what you did!! It was beautiful and selfless! And the money DOES go to cancer research--it HAS to by law. It's the hair--if your hair was pure/virgin, not colored/damaged or gray, it would have gone to a wig, but more to those who suffer from alopecia.

The concept of locks of love is a GOOD concept, but the reality of it is rather upsetting. :(

goddesslynne
October 8th, 2009, 08:13 PM
mbaker, thank you so much for your story!! I know people who have donated, too. You HAVE made a difference and continue to do so!!

~GypsyCurls~
October 8th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Bless you for everything you've done to help people. I did not know about LoL's real practices until this site, either. It just makes me so mad about how they operate. I hope someday they are totally exposed to the public and go out of business.

Nyghtingale
October 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I feel your pain. This is the third time I have grown my hair out and I donated both times when I cut it. I was saddened when I learned the truth, but the spirit in which I gave cannot be changed. I focus on that.

Stubborn
October 8th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Yeah LoL sucks, haha. I think donating money to cancer research or something related to helping them is a lot more productive than cutting your hair. Just my opinion.

brunette
October 9th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Thanks for sharing, I think that's wonderful that you raised $5000 for the Children's Cancer Research Fund.
One way of looking at it is that many people do that sort of thing for charity: shave their head, shave off a beard or their eyebrows, do a bungee jump, etc.
You chose to shave your head, you enjoyed the experience of that at the time, it is unfortunate that your wishes for your tresses to be made into a wig for childhood cancer patients hasn't come to fruition and you felt you were misled, but from that you can be proud that it has inspired you to be of so much more use to young cancer patients who are having a hard time with their bloodwork. What a lovely happy ending :)
The $5000 will go to very good use, what a huge sum to raise! Well done :)
x

Chrissy
October 9th, 2009, 04:47 AM
You gave from your heart w/o knowing everything. Therefore your giving is just as good as if you knew. There is a scripture in the Bible that says Man looks at the outside but God looks at the heart. Whether you believe in the Bible or not that is one great scripture!!

What a wonderful blessing that you raised so much money for cancer research!!!! Many children are benefitting from your generosity. As others have said....YOU ROCK!!!!

eadwine
October 9th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I want a hug button under the posts, so I can hit that when I read a post like yours!!

emeraldfaery
October 9th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I donated twice and had no idea about LOL until I found this site. I feel bad for my friend who cut off almost 2 feet of her thick black hair. My whole class was doing a fundraiser and a lot of people participated.

Tressie
October 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Don't you feel bad! You had very good motives and you have nothing to feel bad about. God looks at our hearts and He knows why we do the things we do, and that's all that really counts.

To my LHC friends who have gray hair. If anyone tells you to cut and donate to L.O.L., you can tell them they don't make the wigs they sell from gray hair, or chemically processed hair.

LaurelSpring
October 9th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I think intent should count for something and that your action brings good karma. It probably inspired many people and gave hope where it had not previously been. You probably arent aware of all the good that you did. Even though LoL hasnt properly represented themselves I think that the personal sacrifices of the people who donate contribute to the compassionate loving energy of the world and that gift is as precious as the hair.

lapushka
October 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
This is a very saddening story. I am so sorry this happened to you the way it did.

It's sad to hear that only a fraction of the donated hair is going to cancer victims, to actually help them in daily life, and that plenty of hair is sold - probably to help fund the organisation and to send more money to reasearch. The main thing is that LOL profiles itself as a charity that helps *many* children with cancer *directly*. To later find out that so little benefit... It's just wrong.

Ksenia
March 21st, 2010, 09:39 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. I can't count the number of times I've taken my hair down and someone's response will be "wow your hair is long! You should donate it to Locks of Love" (and they get increasingly aggressive when I say I don't intend to do so), as though I were doing something supremely selfish by keeping my own hair. I'm sure many of you have experienced something like that.

aef231
March 21st, 2010, 10:07 PM
AHA!! I knew it!!! I've been saying for years that all those hair models cosmetology students practice on came from L.O.L!!! For once, my paranoia was right... I wonder if this means it's also true that the government has planted a tracking chip in my brain....
:run:

beez1717
March 21st, 2010, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking the reason they sell the locks more then not is because people are willing to help them out so much that they have too much hair on their hands! I'm just thinking this might e the case. If it is then i can understand it. if not though, then they just broke my heart, and i haven't even donated!

Copasetic
March 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Good for you for doing something so selfless. And hey, even if LOL turned out to be kind of lame, you still managed to raise $5000 for a cause you believe in. Awesome!

In another thread about LOL, someone posted about a charity that takes hair donations in any kind of condition and uses them to clean up oil spills. If I ever did a major cut, I would donate to that kind of organization.

Purdy Bear
March 22nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
I found out about selling hair when I was about 11, when my mother hacked my long hair off into a bowl cut (literally).

Apparently only the best hair can be used and then it has to be a certain length and all of it in perfect condition.

Real hair wigs are way out of most peoples pockets.

It makes me sick that a supposed charity makes money out of this.

I love the vampires (phlebotmists), most are quite brilliant and make it less of a stress being used as a pin cushion.

Keildra
March 25th, 2010, 10:29 PM
I don't think L.O.L. is bad in general I just think they need to be more truthful about what happens behind the scenes.
There was a New York Times article that said that L.O.L. has to throw out 80% of the hair they receive because it is unusable, I understand that because unusable hair is unusable hair no matter who you donate to.
The people that throw those donate-athons and that tell someone to go to a salon that donates, they annoy me. Why, because I've been to one of those types of salons and no where was there a sign nor did the stylist say what the rules were for donating. Same with the TV donate-athons. I'm pretty sure if the rules for donating were emphasized more than the throwing out won't be so necessary and hopefully neither will the selling.
Another thing that annoys me are people that have donated or saw donations and believe they have the right to walk up to a complete stranger and tell complete stranger to donate their hair. Said stranger says no and then the person gets mad at the stranger and tells them that they are a bad person for denying someone hair. I don't even think that's proper to do to your friends and family much less a complete stranger who they don't even know, who's to say said completes stranger wasn't religiously and culturally raised to have long hair or that they didn't just donate two feet of hair.

I donate blood, when I die they doctors have free range of my organs, so don't tell me that I'm a bad person for denying my damaged, too short, hair to a trashcan.

GlassEyes
March 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
This is a very saddening story. I am so sorry this happened to you the way it did.

It's sad to hear that only a fraction of the donated hair is going to cancer victims, to actually help them in daily life, and that plenty of hair is sold - probably to help fund the organisation and to send more money to reasearch. The main thing is that LOL profiles itself as a charity that helps *many* children with cancer *directly*. To later find out that so little benefit... It's just wrong.

No money goes to cancer patients or their wigs. The wigs go to sufferers of alopecia--a worthy cause as well, but LOL isn't exactly great.

Edit: I'm sorry, I'm wrong--apparently the main "charity" is for sufferers of alopecia, but it can be hairloss from any medical condition.

Mama Bee
March 25th, 2010, 10:57 PM
That's awful. :( Does anyone know anything more detailed about the similar charity Wigs for Kids? I've donated to them twice, and I guess I just assumed that was exactly what was happening - giving wigs to kids. I should probably look into that before I donate again, since that's part of why I'm growing mine out.

dropinthebucket
March 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Activism is also, fundamentally, about exposing false activism. Sometimes, it takes more courage in the exposing than in the initial shearing, especially if you take on a well-known organization.

Posting your story here on LHC, where members have long hair, is a major contribution! I hope a mod will bump this, or place it where it can operate as a steady reminder. There are *many* charity organizations in the developed world; whether your money or other donations gets to the people who need it is always an issue, and it's worth it to be an informed donor and take the time to investigate the organization of your choice. Even with a large organization like World Vision, I still do check-up from time to time, and make my voice heard if I think the money is not being spent well. Good luck, and thank you for posting this!

Madame J
March 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM
No money goes to cancer patients or their wigs. The wigs go to sufferers of alopecia--a worthy cause as well, but LOL isn't exactly great.

Edit: I'm sorry, I'm wrong--apparently the main "charity" is for sufferers of alopecia, but it can be hairloss from any medical condition.

The reason LOL primarily donates to sufferers of alopecia is because they give preference to kids with permanent hair loss, and most chemo patients don't experience permanent hair loss. I can respect that. That said, they play up the whole "helping cancer kids" thing way too much, considering that's not their primary service. I mean, wouldn't it be better to educate about alopecia rather than exploiting a well-known problem?

justgreen
March 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Wigs made of human hair are much too hot for chemo users to wear, my mother had difficulties with the acrylic wigs, she just stuck to cotton turbans and scarves most of the time.

Also, LOL will accept bleached and highlighted hair, so while no one has ever asked why I don't donate, I won't have that to use as an excuse now.

Oskimosa
March 26th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Wigs made of human hair are much too hot for chemo users to wear, my mother had difficulties with the acrylic wigs, she just stuck to cotton turbans and scarves most of the time.

Also, LOL will accept bleached and highlighted hair, so while no one has ever asked why I don't donate, I won't have that to use as an excuse now.

They accept anything and everything; they'll never send hair back. However, I'm fairly sure I've read that they simply toss it in the garbage rather than bother selling or utilizing it. As far as I know, anyhow; let me know if that has changed.

jera
March 26th, 2010, 02:50 PM
You're a strong civic minded person who gets things done. I wish I knew you in the real world. :)

It's nice that you're a concerned empathetic phlebotomist too. So many arent't. :p

lunagoose
March 26th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I've heard a lot of stories about Locks of Love selling the hair donations they receive or even throwing out donated hair on the garbage instead of helping out the suffering children with hair pieces. I am not even sure if they are a non-profit organization and I am uncertain if these rumors are truthful.

However, it is great that you decided to raise awareness for what LOL really does with the donated hair, people should know the truth.

AmericanWoman
March 26th, 2010, 03:35 PM
lol makes it pretty clear on their website they support kids with *a lopicia* not cancer. Thety also say most of the hair gets sold and that wigs are pro rated according to income. It's the media that perpetuates the "free wigs to kids with cancer" myth. There's really no sense in providing a child with cancer a wig, since it grows back. Alopecia children, the hair doesn't grow back. The cost to manufacture a human hair wig is $1000.

AmericanWoman
March 26th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Good for you for doing something so selfless. And hey, even if LOL turned out to be kind of lame, you still managed to raise $5000 for a cause you believe in. Awesome!

In another thread about LOL, someone posted about a charity that takes hair donations in any kind of condition and uses them to clean up oil spills. If I ever did a major cut, I would donate to that kind of organization.

The hair doesn't have to be long. It can be clippings from a trim. I forgeet the organisations name too.

Ceilidh
April 8th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I did the same thing when I was about 10 years old; my hair was about TB length then. I've been trying to grow it out since then (I'm almost 20 now) and it's just now past BS length. If I'd known then what they did with the hair, I probably would have kept it, or at least have found a different organization.

Also, thank you for being able to draw blood well. I had to get mine drawn the other day and the nurse shoved the whole needle into my arm. Not the most pleasant experience.

*Aoife*
April 8th, 2010, 01:50 PM
OP, you donated your hair meaning well and that's all that matters. Plus you raised $5000, which is really impressive!

I love people who can draw blood without destroying my arm!! I've had some hack jobs done :(

XcaliburGirl
April 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM
After a quick search, it looks like Wigs 4 Kids does give away wigs for free to kids, but they don't meet the BBB standards because they only spent 60% of total expenses on program services (instead of 65% which is the standard.
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/children-and-youth/wigs-for-kids-in-rocky-river-oh-755

I usually left my hair with the salon, I don't know what charity then send it to.

freznow
April 8th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Here's the oil spill cleanup site (http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html).

The thing about LoL is their honesty, yes. They only recently changed their website to state clearly who gets the hair - I remember discussions a year or three ago where their website said no such thing. So they're getting better at this honesty thing, but only because people are asking where all the money's going and why the organization is so sketchy.

A big issues I have with it, though, is - they're selling the unused hair, right? Even at cheap rates, they get enough hair that they should be able to afford making wigs out of the good hair. And yet they charge thousands of dollars for a wig? I think that's more than a little absurd. Where's the money going? I'm sure people wouldn't mind if a) their sold hair afforded a wig and b) they knew it was going to go to a kid with alopecia. But... LoL still isn't clear on that.

julliams
April 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
My daughter donated her hair to a charity (not LOL - I think it's called Wigs for Kids) We sent her hair in with a little bio explaining that this was her choice etc etc and photos of her having her hair cut. She had waist length hair at the time and wanted to change her style. Her grandfather had just been diagnosed with a brain tumour and it just felt like the right thing to do. We sent it from Australia so I did a bit of research to find out if it would be ok to send internationally. The charity was quick with emails to let me know that it would be fine and the website said that we would receive notice that the hair was received within 6 weeks.

We never heard a thing and there will always be a part of me that wonders if they ever got it. I didn't follow up on it because I thought , how will they ever track it anyway, and they would most likely tell me that they got it just to keep me happy. I just felt that they should have acknowledged her in some way. I let her school know what she had done and even they made no deal of it. I thought there could have been some mention of it at school assembly or in the newsletter.

I'm not saying that we do things for the recognition but she was so young and it was such a gorgeous thing for her to do and it almost went unnoticed.

Having said all that, she didn't care - in her mind some little girl or boy was getting to wear her hair as a wig because he or she didn't have hair anymore. I'm sure this is more my issue than hers. I think she actually plans to do it again as she is growing to waist again.

ellebanna
April 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
what the heck, that's ridiculous!!:mad:

I donated mine in the beginning of 9th grade, and I've hated my hair in the years since then. It was too short and exploded in volume, and for 6 years I have been trying to grow it out so i can donate again without being stuck with hair I hate.

VenusHalley
July 18th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Here's the oil spill cleanup site (http://www.matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html).

The thing about LoL is their honesty, yes. They only recently changed their website to state clearly who gets the hair - I remember discussions a year or three ago where their website said no such thing. So they're getting better at this honesty thing, but only because people are asking where all the money's going and why the organization is so sketchy.

A big issues I have with it, though, is - they're selling the unused hair, right? Even at cheap rates, they get enough hair that they should be able to afford making wigs out of the good hair. And yet they charge thousands of dollars for a wig? I think that's more than a little absurd. Where's the money going? I'm sure people wouldn't mind if a) their sold hair afforded a wig and b) they knew it was going to go to a kid with alopecia. But... LoL still isn't clear on that.

I worked as a fundraiser and had several friends who worked on this position for some organization. Most of them discouraged passing out false information and using emotional arguments and no pushing people into donating for the cause. A "no" should be a clear answer.
I know LOL does not pay people who promote them, but they should state a clear guidelines on their website. People as Tyra or Oprah talk about "children with cancer" on very watched shows. And all those random "you should donate your hair, you selfish cancer-patients hating *person*," who approach people in malls... I've read too many of those stories. LOL should make it clear that is unacceptable behavior.

grmn-rpnzl
July 18th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I was con twice when i cut my bsl hair thinking about how some lilltle girl/boy will have my hair. My dad even grew out his hair and donated. Has anyone heard about the Pantene donation? Is it more trust worthy??

HikerTrash
July 18th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Maybe if we as a culture were more accepting of people without hair (and women without breasts) due to cancer or other diseases it wouldn't be such an emotional issue.

GRU
July 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I have no affiliation with LOL, but thought I'd share this info that came up in another thread recently:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1161194#post1161194

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1162762#post1162762

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1162807#post1162807

It's best to fully inform oneself before spreading what could be harmful and untrue gossip.

Allen
July 18th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Please educate me!

LOL is a sham. We were approached by LOL for a TV show that I was working on years ago and after I did some research we passed. There is a misconception that the organization is tied into cancer patients who have lost their hair and that just wasn't true. At the time they were working with people suffering from alopecia areata which isn't life threatening. The wigs weren't free and they weren't cheap ($3000+) The report that I looked at offered only 8 wigs in the previous year and as I remember their administrative costs were very high (over 80%).

The problem I had is that they played on people's emotions and ended up selling the donations on ebay.

BTW, kudos to raising $5000K. Its always better to write a check and to give it directly.

danacc
July 18th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I was con twice when i cut my bsl hair thinking about how some lilltle girl/boy will have my hair. My dad even grew out his hair and donated. Has anyone heard about the Pantene donation? Is it more trust worthy??

Pantene Beautiful Lengths program has a better reputation. It is mentioned in the 2007 NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html) as well as in previous LHC threads on the subject like this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-547.html).

[I am in no way affiliated with Locks of Love, Pantene Beautiful Lengths, or any other hair donation charity or program.]

Prettyeyes23
July 19th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Thank you for sharing your story mbaker. I am glad you were able to help spread the true story of the "charity"!

Jezerellica
July 19th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Bless you for this! :smooch: good phlebotomists are wonderful, but bad ones can make such a painful mess. I'm needlephobic and really appreciate gentle quick blood tests. I've ended up with huge bruises, even though I have good veins and no health problems so your skill with these poor children who have difficult veins and need multiple sticks must be so welcome, not to mention seeing them in the comfort of their own homes.

Tabitha, you said it so perfectly.

This is such a sad story. Well, you know you are among friends here who understand.:(

Bluegrass Babe
July 19th, 2010, 05:00 PM
It's best to fully inform oneself before spreading what could be harmful and untrue gossip.

GRU:

I do not appreciate your not so subtle implication that I or any other members here are uninformed or that we are spreading gossip and harmful untruths.

The links and quotes from websites you have given are very recent. When many of us began to look at Locks of Love they had a different website. Some of the information you read was not there when we read it. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe it was related to having to be open to the public as they were in their Better Business Bureau records. Maybe it was because they now have a web design firm. Who knows why? I suspect it is a reaction to all the public scrutiny. Whatever the reason, at least they are now being more honest than in the past.

As for the BBB information you cited - again it's recent. When I read their page there were several areas of the accountability standards that they did not pass. It also stated that LoL refused to submit financial papers despite a request from the BBB to do so. (I found that very odd.)

They also did not pass for several years. I tried to find out which specifically, but was redirected to a BBB page that stated such information would have to be researched and mailed back. I am not inclined to waste the BBB's time, paper, or postage.

(I apologize that I did not make it clearer in the other post that this was my earlier look at LoL, before joining LHC.)

After reading this about LoL, I was not really interested in following any new developments. I don't care that now they passed last year's BBB review or are finally honest on their website. I think it would be similar to seeing a health inspection report for a restaurant that failed because of rodent droppings and cockroaches. I wouldn't go back or recommend them no matter how well it did on new inspections. Too little, too late. They should have done better to begin with.

As for the misinformation out there, whether it is from media or elsewhere, it began with LoL themselves, not LHC or it's members. Their misrepresentation (intentional or not) of themselves in the beginning and their allowing it to grow has caused the negative backlash. They were content to keep quiet as long as it suited their purpose. Now they cry slander.

I seriously doubt that Allen was approached by LoL in the hopes that they could clear up any misconceptions about what they do and to educate the public on alopecia and the need for funding research. (Allen, please correct me if I'm wrong about that. If the show's producers wanted to do this type of broadcast do you think they would have agreed based on your interactions with them or were they too brief to guess? Just wondering.)

By the way, Trent Stamp, the founder and president of Charity Navigator until 2008, didn't really believe they were entirely what they represented themselves to be, either. http://www.trentstampstake.org/2007/09/whos-liar.html

But, if you think they are now all on the up and up - that's fine. You could have said that they have improved accountability, they're more honest, or some of our information was outdated, or whatever...

Instead, you came here (and in previous threads) attacking me personally and telling us all that we are uninformed and are spreading harmful gossip and completely disregarding our personal experiences.

Your condescending attitude is uncalled for and extremely rude! If you have a dissenting opinion please state it without the sarcasm and personal attacks. I don't think your style is helpful or embodies the spirit in which this forum was formed.

twolunarspring
July 19th, 2010, 05:31 PM
You did a beautiful thing. I'm sorry the organisation betrayed your gesture like that, but you can always be proud of the sacrifice you made :flower:

Igor
July 19th, 2010, 11:25 PM
GRU:

I do not appreciate your not so subtle implication that I or any other members here are uninformed or that we are spreading gossip and harmful untruths.

The links and quotes from websites you have given are very recent. When many of us began to look at Locks of Love they had a different website. Some of the information you read was not there when we read it. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe it was related to having to be open to the public as they were in their Better Business Bureau records. Maybe it was because they now have a web design firm. Who knows why? I suspect it is a reaction to all the public scrutiny. Whatever the reason, at least they are now being more honest than in the past.

As for the BBB information you cited - again it's recent. When I read their page there were several areas of the accountability standards that they did not pass. It also stated that LoL refused to submit financial papers despite a request from the BBB to do so. (I found that very odd.)

They also did not pass for several years. I tried to find out which specifically, but was redirected to a BBB page that stated such information would have to be researched and mailed back. I am not inclined to waste the BBB's time, paper, or postage.

(I apologize that I did not make it clearer in the other post that this was my earlier look at LoL, before joining LHC.)

After reading this about LoL, I was not really interested in following any new developments. I don't care that now they passed last year's BBB review or are finally honest on their website. I think it would be similar to seeing a health inspection report for a restaurant that failed because of rodent droppings and cockroaches. I wouldn't go back or recommend them no matter how well it did on new inspections. Too little, too late. They should have done better to begin with.

As for the misinformation out there, whether it is from media or elsewhere, it began with LoL themselves, not LHC or it's members. Their misrepresentation (intentional or not) of themselves in the beginning and their allowing it to grow has caused the negative backlash. They were content to keep quiet as long as it suited their purpose. Now they cry slander.

I seriously doubt that Allen was approached by LoL in the hopes that they could clear up any misconceptions about what they do and to educate the public on alopecia and the need for funding research. (Allen, please correct me if I'm wrong about that. If the show's producers wanted to do this type of broadcast do you think they would have agreed based on your interactions with them or were they too brief to guess? Just wondering.)

By the way, Trent Stamp, the founder and president of Charity Navigator until 2008, didn't really believe they were entirely what they represented themselves to be, either. http://www.trentstampstake.org/2007/09/whos-liar.html

But, if you think they are now all on the up and up - that's fine. You could have said that they have improved accountability, they're more honest, or some of our information was outdated, or whatever...

Instead, you came here (and in previous threads) attacking me personally and telling us all that we are uninformed and are spreading harmful gossip and completely disregarding our personal experiences.

Your condescending attitude is uncalled for and extremely rude! If you have a dissenting opinion please state it without the sarcasm and personal attacks. I don't think your style is helpful or embodies the spirit in which this forum was formed.
Thank you for posting this. I was about to write pretty much the same. It was unnecessarily rude and aggressively condescending

christine1989
July 20th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Its great that you contribute to cancer patients in a productive, personal way (I guess that's one good thing that came out of your bad experiance). And even though L.O.L. did lie and misuse their donations the important thing was that your heart was in the right place when you donated your hair :)

Icialine
July 20th, 2010, 03:33 AM
I'm glad you were able to find a more direct way to help cancer patients than LoL.A few years ago when I had hair down to my hips ,people started pestering me about donating it to that organization to the point where I actually got into an argument with a friend over not wanting to.Their propaganda is so strong that even the fact that I happily gave of my time to go keep sick children company at the hospital to give their parents a break -something none of the people nagging had ever done-was not enough to stop them from acting as though it was my duty to give up my hair to "a needy child".
What I felt embarrassed to tell them was that what really stopped me from doing it was that I found myself at one of their events and thought there was something fishy about the fact that the organizer was willing to take my hair even after I told her it had permanent colour and henna in it which ,as far as I know,would make it useless to any wigmaker no matter how beautiful it looked.
Since virgin hair is what is used in wigs I wondered what they could possibly be doing with treated hair besides throwing it away once everyone was gone.So I hung around the back room of my friend's salon and sure enough ,after closing ,they were out front carefully bagging the ponytails of people I knew had untreated hair in individual packages and just carelessly tossing all the other ponytails-with highlights,etc,no matter how healthy and glossy -into one big bag.They left with all of it but since then I've never believed they use all the hair they get people to sacrifice .
At least when you give of your time you know where it went.

Feng-Shui
July 20th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Its great that you contribute to cancer patients in a productive, personal way (I guess that's one good thing that came out of your bad experiance). And even though L.O.L. did lie and misuse their donations the important thing was that your heart was in the right place when you donated your hair :)

I agree with you.

The intention with the donation was nobly, pure and honest.

Only that is important.:flower:

Chrissy
July 20th, 2010, 06:41 AM
mbaker, you rock. :rockerdud

What she said!!!! :D