PDA

View Full Version : horsetail

natorade
October 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I am thinking of adding horsetail too my nourishair pills that I am taking. I did a little research and noticed some side effects that had to do with potassium wasting or something like that. Has anyone had any funky side effects from horsetail? How many mg's do you take? Has anyone's hair grown faster from taking it?:pumpkin:

Mary <><
October 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I mix horsetail leaves in with my chamomile tea and drink it. Not sure if it is doing me any good or not, but I haven't noticed any negative side affects. It has no taste, so all you taste is the flavor of whatever other tea you mix it with. I get the leaves loose in bulk at the health supermarket. HTH!

Chrissy
October 8th, 2009, 05:11 PM
On the Dr. Oz show today he mentioned horse tale and nettle tea was good for hair. I had never heard of these before.

jojo
October 8th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I took the supplements when I first joined the site in 2007 and did experience a lot of growth, never really carried on taking it...but maybe I should!

clairenewcastle
October 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I would caution you against taking horsetail internally although I have made a hair rinse from the dried herb. Soaking my dry hair and scalp in it produced interesting results. Initially my hair felt thicker although dryer than I would have liked. I persisted in soaking my hair in horsetail every day for a week or so despite this dryness because my hair seemed to feel more supple and stronger. It had much more volume and bounce. Yet I was looking for moisture from a herbal rinse, as well as strength, so I stopped.
I came to the conclusion that horsetail taken externally over a period of time would definately strengthen my hair.

clairenewcastle
October 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Has anyone had any funky side effects from horsetail? ?:pumpkin:

Please be aware that horsetail has a strong diuretic effect and has been known to cause potassium loss from the body.
It's always best to thoroughly research the side effect of any herb prior to consuming them internally.
Good luck with your hair journey.

ambychelle
October 8th, 2009, 07:01 PM
isn't horsetail in most hair/skin/nails vitamins?

Mine from walgreens (Finest Natural Organics brand) have 400mg of horsetail extract

also listed
olive leaf extract
soy lecithin
green tea extract
rose hips
bee pollen
flax seed
kelp

Maybe I should be breaking open the capsules and using them to make a tea to rinse my hair with ;)

But really, I thought all hair skin and nail supplements had some horsetail. :confused:

JamieLeigh
October 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Horsetail rush is one of the ingredients in my tried-and-trusted Hair, Skin & Nails formula vitamins. I've been taking them for over 2 years now...and I'm not sure exactly how much is in the formula since I don't have the bottle at hand...or whether or not it's helped my growth, but I have had no harmful side effects. And I have no intention to stop taking them any time soon. :)