PDA

View Full Version : trim or not trim?

virgogirl
April 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
hey guys, hope everyone is doing okay. Okay i have a question, is it true that when you dont trim your hair and you have a lot of split ends your hair can actually get shorter? I know its a weird question...but its just something i heard and was curious about....
thanks

Lixie
April 19th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Splits can travel further up the hair, which in turn can lead to individual hairs snapping off at a shorter length. Your whole head of hair would not get shorter though.

amaiaisabella
April 19th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Splits need to be tamed as much as possible. I love long hair, but I'd rather have a bit shorter and healthier hair, than longer and full of splits :)

Meli
April 19th, 2008, 09:24 PM
If the ends are in very bad condition it might happen to some extense. It would require ends that are not only split, but also have a lot of those bent angles with a white dot at the angle. Those broken bends are severely damaged ends which snaps very easily. If the breaking is more than the growing can compensate, it might result in slightly shorter hair.

eadwine
April 20th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Splits need to be tamed as much as possible. I love long hair, but I'd rather have a bit shorter and healthier hair, than longer and full of splits :)

Yep, absolutely right!

I had long hair FULL of splits, honestly it was awful to see. I chose to start over and had a big section chopped off and then maintained the length for years before I found this community :)

spidermom
April 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Yes, it is absolutely true. My SIL grew out classic+ length hair, but she didn't do anything to particularly take care of it, and it broke off all the way to above tailbone. Then I started trimming it for her, and she grew back to tailbone. I'm not sure what happened after that because her work schedule changed months ago, so I'm not trimming it anymore.