PDA

View Full Version : Silly question

motormuffin
October 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM
How do you take such nice pics of the back of your hair? Do you take them yourself of have someone take them?

Coriander
October 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I have figured out, through trial and error, which piece of furniture works for setting the camera up for the height I need :) Then I hit the self-timer and let it go. I usually have to take at least five photos to get one to post! :D

twolunarspring
October 7th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Ditto the above! :D

Bunnyhare
October 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I had to ask the same question and the answer i got that helped me most was to hold a hand mirror in one hand to look at the view screen on the back of the digital camera and aim from there! ( have the mirror you are taking pictures in clean before you shoot) and it helped me alot..of course, having someone else take them always helps but is not always an option or, they think your are fruit-loops for wanting so many pics of the back of your head:0)

motormuffin
October 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I'll have to see if my camera has a timer. I tried with a mirror and I'm not so good. The last pics I had my 5 yr old take...she did okay.
Thanks!

jasper
October 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Even with the self timer, I have a hard time! Sometime I miss my head completely and other times I blur the image. I delete about 9 out of 10 tries. But at least I manage to amuse myself with the goofy pics before deleting them.

Teazel
October 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I hold my camera at arm's length behind me, and look down the barrel to get it centred. Then I turn my head away, focus and snap! :D (That's how I took the pic in my signature.)

Sometimes I use the self-timer, but those tend to be out of focus. :rolleyes:

yellowchariot
October 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I find the best way is to use a timer if the camera has one. Also I try and find or make a prop to set the camera on to take the pic. I find that if I try and take a picture while holding the camera and turning my head around, sometimes I only get blurred images from the unwanted movement.

Aer
October 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Everyone else has seemed to master the method of taking the pics themselves. Not I. I just can't figure out the mechanics of this talent, so I get my husband to take them. Plus, I'm impatient, and would get very frustrated if I had to take continuous shots of myself until I got it right, things would get broken.

friskybiznus
October 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I delete about 9 out of 10 tries. But at least I manage to amuse myself with the goofy pics before deleting them.

LOL! So do I!! :D

motormuffin
October 7th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Okay..I'm willing to admit I'm not so hot at taking these myself. My dd is way better at it...and she likes playing with my camera. I think I have a new lackey.

Quixii
October 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I focus it in the mirror by looking at it, and then I turn my head away.
Occasionally I use my auto-timer, depending on what kind of picture I'm aiming for.
Or if it's possible, I get someone else to do it. Almost always better that way. xD

But yeah, there's definitely a lot of deleting going on. :P

Peter
October 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I either use a mirror or timer. I take multiple pictures then pick the best one. :)

RocketDog
October 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I stand with my back to the bathroom mirror and aim the camera by looking at the reflection of the display screen on my camera. Not a very accurate method, but once in a while I do get a decent shot. It helps that my hair is just APL so I don't have to get the frame centered all that much :P

Irishred
October 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Timer FTW!. Occasionally I'll get one of the kids to do it but they always turn out um...

MirandaWelch
October 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I use my camera manually so I set the shutter speed to be fast enough that I won't get motion blur, set the self timer for 10 consecutive shots, focus by holding something in front of the camera where I will be, then run in :)

I find the best way is to use a timer if the camera has one. Also I try and find or make a prop to set the camera on to take the pic. I find that if I try and take a picture while holding the camera and turning my head around, sometimes I only get blurred images from the unwanted movement.

OT but, Kay is that you? If not, its a scary resemblance! Here's my friend's facebook he has long gorgeous hair, too. http://www.facebook.com/friends/?ref=tn#/omnisti

Stephichan
October 8th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I zoom about halfway in, hold the camera above my head and then use my roomie's mirror across the room to make sure that I'm in the shot. It's a lot easier if you have access to a wide mirror. My summer dorm room didn't have a mirror of its own, and I was too shy to try to use the community bathroom's giant mirror, so I ended up using this real narrow mirror. Geeze, I must have taken 15 pictures over the course of a few days before I got a decent one.

Isa-belle
October 8th, 2009, 01:38 AM
I use the timer and take pictures with my back to the window, as close to it as possible.

Hiriel
October 8th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I use my camera's timer and gorillapod if I have to, and the pictures turn out OK, but most of the time, I just poke my boyfriend until he takes the picture for me ;)

Chrissy
October 8th, 2009, 04:10 AM
I have my son or dh take them. They are used to my hair obsession. My dh also is my hair measurer.

LovingLife
October 8th, 2009, 06:03 AM
I take my pictures in the mirror!

embee
October 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
:( I don't get pictures any longer... my camera is busted.

My profile pic my DS took. He just laughed, after all he has *dozens* of pics of his old car in various locations, lightings, and angles!

All the pics that *I* tried to take with mirror and so forth were FAIL.

Ryanne
October 8th, 2009, 06:26 AM
The timer and my closet or other furniture.

Anje
October 8th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I bug my husband to do it. He's a lot better making sure my head is in the frame than I am.

dolcevita
October 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I have figured out, through trial and error, which piece of furniture works for setting the camera up for the height I need :) Then I hit the self-timer and let it go. I usually have to take at least five photos to get one to post! :D

Same here!!

When I'm in a rush and want a quick shot, I try what Teazel suggested, but it neverrrr works and I just end up with more shots that need to be deleted. Then I go find that piece of favourite furniture at just the right height :p

Brighe
October 8th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I use my webcam...
with a mirror I can see if I´m in the right position :wink:

halo_tightens
October 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I take mine in the mirror, which you can usually tell by looking, lol. It's easy for me because the viewscreen on mine flips around to face any direction, so I can take a pic of my reflection behine me while looking dierectly into the viewscreen.

I try to get my DH to do it... but he already thinks I've gone hair-crazy and wants to be left out of the whole affair. :rolleyes:

Arniky
October 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM
tried out taking pics ?

GoddesJourney
October 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Me too. My furniture takes better pictures than I do.:D

WritergirlAD
October 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I use my webcam. I put it on a counter or tabletop and adjust until I get the right angle. It has a 3 second timer, so I have to run a few feet away from it, turn around, and pose really quickly to get a good shot. I look like a total idiot when I take pictures. I try to do it when no one else is home :p

motormuffin
October 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I use my webcam...
with a mirror I can see if I´m in the right position :wink:
I haven't tried this. I haven't figured how to work the one on my mac yet.

jojo
October 8th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I put my camera on self timer and balance it on a pile of books and hopefully after a dozen or so photos I find the one! or if that don't work I ask my daughter to take one for me. (which is normally the case!)

yellowchariot
October 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I use my camera manually so I set the shutter speed to be fast enough that I won't get motion blur, set the self timer for 10 consecutive shots, focus by holding something in front of the camera where I will be, then run in :)

OT but, Kay is that you? If not, its a scary resemblance! Here's my friend's facebook he has long gorgeous hair, too. http://www.facebook.com/friends/?ref=tn#/omnisti

Kay? sorry I think you got the wrong guy! :suspect: :run: LOL ;)

MirandaWelch
October 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Kay? sorry I think you got the wrong guy! :suspect: :run: LOL ;)

Lol. I didn't think it was. None of your info under your pic matches. :) You do look a lot like him though.

camirra555
October 8th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I also just get my boyfriend to do it. I'm not tech saavy enough to figure out the timer on my camera

JamieLeigh
October 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I have a timer on my digital camera. :cool:

morguebabe
October 8th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Self timmer or have DBF or mom.

Amara
October 8th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I also have furniture that helps me out! A bookcase has a shelf at just the right height, and my camera has a self-timer. I've also enlisted my hubby if I wanted an outdoor shot or something.

katydid317
October 8th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I tried to do it myself just by holding the camera above and behind my head and it was a disaster. So I asked my fiance to take a picture of my hair. Then I had to explain why I wanted a picture of my hair from behind and why I wanted the whole length in it. He thought I had gone insane and then laughed when I told him I had joined a long hair forum.

Elenna
October 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
My ds takes the better pictures. It is so much easier to have someone else take your hair picture.

When I take pictures, even with all the mirrors and camera angles are awkward.

pradabacon
October 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Timer, holding it behind my head, using a hand mirror to see behind me, or just holding it above my head pointed at the mirror and guessing on the aim are all methods I use.

DH already thinks I'm crazy for taking so many pics of my handbags to post on the internets. :p I'm not adding to that by asking him to photograph my hair for me. :laugh:

above_rubies
October 8th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Teazel I love your signature picture! Absolutely gorgeous! You are making me consider changing my mind about dyeing when mine goes silver. Original Poster thanks for asking this question. I don't think it's silly at all. The answers have been informative and interesting.