PDA

View Full Version : Why do you love your grays?

NicoleMarie
October 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Because I need help loving mine. I just turned 23 less than 2 weeks ago and it's like a gray-splosion on my head! I feel like it's way too early for that.. They are mostly in the front where my bangs are, and some at the top of my head. I just spent 20 minutes plucking them all out..

It's not enough to warrant a dye job, and I feel really silly for plucking them out :rolleyes: So tell me, why do you think your grays are beautiful and should just be left alone?

Radulfr
October 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM
My grays look all frosty and silvery. They give my hair more "personality." I like them.

Honestwitness
October 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
People pay money to get highlights put in their hair. I started getting nature's highlights when I was in my early thirties and have never done anything to change the color of my hair. It's so free and easy to be natural. If you keep yourself healthy and put a smile on your face, you'll look beautiful in your natural hair color.

Spike
October 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I love the definition they make against my dark original color. I had blonde streaks in my hair forever (my color sunbleaches like THAT < snaps fingers >) so the grey is like silver streaking in among the gold and copper.

I'm starting to have enough greys together to make witchlocks, which I think look amazing in braids and buns. Almost like you bleached the heck out of your hair to make granpa white patches on purpose.

Shiva
October 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM
why do you think your grays are beautiful and should just be left alone?
Because in the end they are gonna win and I'm not, so I leave them be. I don't dye them... never did and have no plans on starting.

A girlfriend of mines has had 2 silver streaks on in her bang area since we've been in our 20's and I've always loved them.

And for goodness sakes stop plucking out your gray hairs! ACK.

RubyRose
October 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
your hair tells a story about who you are and what you have been through.

Peggy E.
October 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I think a lot of what we feel about our grays has to do with how we feel about ouselves and the sprouting grays speak to the sweeping of time, unstoppable, undeniable and often frightening. In a society that worships the god of Youth, we have the mantra of "Youth = Beauty" beaten into our heads constantly by the marketing gurus whose job it is to make us all feel bad about ourselves and spending to try and create a personna that doesn't work, makes us feel inferior, leads to depression and misery.

Who needs it?! It's hair, for godsakes! It's part of life and if you're lucky you will live long enough to grow old and, bygod, this ain't for sissies, people! We deserve respect, honor and to be looked up to as the smart, experienced and excellent examples we are - not as what you should try to avoid.

All of life is an adventure. Each path turns and winds, up and down, our trip constantly a surprise to treasure. Those grays are an indication that you have LIVED! Love them!!

Eboshi
October 7th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I have earned every silver hair and love the contrast that they make against the brown ones.

rags
October 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I got my first silvers in my early twenties; by the time I was around twenty-seven I had a nice streak right in front (think Rouge in X-men).

I love my silvers because they are a beautiful contrast to the darker hair, and because they show that I am still here, I have lived, I have survived!

Also, they're just plain pretty! :D

Teazel
October 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I love my silvers (it helps to think 'silver', rather than 'grey' :wink:) because I really and truly think they're pretty! I didn't always think so, and it took LHC to help me see it.

Don't pluck them out! What if plucking kills those follicles? Believe me, if your hair thins as you get older, one day you'll want thick hair more than pigmented hair. :lol:

little_acorn
October 7th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I must be a bit wierd but I was very exicted when I found my first one - I now have three :D

I love the term sparklers

ladylibra
October 7th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I spotted my first silver hair when I was only 17. And I was in love with it! :D I have very deep dark brown hair (almost black but not really) and the sparkly silver strands look awesome against that background.

Even more fun is henna on those grays. Now they're a warm shimmery reddish-orange. Almost makes me wish I had more of them so my head would look like it's on fire. :cheese:

AJoifulNoise
October 7th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I got my first silvers when I was 22. I'm almost 24 (holy crap, when did that happen?) and I have a nice dusting. I look at them as mother nature's way of rewarding me for looking like an 8-year-old until I was nearly out of my teens. :mad:

curls2grow
October 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I love my grays because they are healthy, natural and easier (than coloring). These are goals for other aspects of my life, too.

KarpatiiSiv
October 7th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I got my first silvers in my early twenties; by the time I was around twenty-seven I had a nice streak right in front (think Rouge in X-men).

I love my silvers because they are a beautiful contrast to the darker hair, and because they show that I am still here, I have lived, I have survived!

Also, they're just plain pretty! :D

Couldn't have said it any better that rags.:thumbsup: People thought my white streaks were deliberate.:cool:

Bunnyhare
October 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I have always felt that if i lived to have silvery sparkly hair that i should be proud of them! So many people never make it to gray's, wether you are 23 or 53! embrace the sparkles!!!

clairenewcastle
October 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I prefer the term silver to grey for silver is a precious metal of value and beauty. Yet whether my hair is shot with threads of "silver" or "grey" one thing is sure - I'll continue to see them as my "badge of honour" for what I've lived through and achieved.

Yozhik
October 7th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I got my first white hair after studying for the SATs in high school! That being said, I think it's still only that one hair. Since my hair is brown-almost-but-not-black -- just like ladylibras :) -- it makes a pretty cool contrast.

My mother just quit dying her grays -- not that she has more than 30, which is impressive as she's nearing her 6th decade!

Shiva
October 7th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Who needs it?! It's hair, for godsakes! It's part of life and if you're lucky you will live long enough to grow old and, bygod, this ain't for sissies, people! We deserve respect, honor and to be looked up to as the smart, experienced and excellent examples we are - not as what you should try to avoid.

All of life is an adventure. Each path turns and winds, up and down, our trip constantly a surprise to treasure. Those grays are an indication that you have LIVED! Love them!!
That's the spirit!

:agree:

clairenewcastle
October 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I must be a bit wierd but I was very exicted when I found my first one - I now have three :D

I love the term sparklers

Sparklers is a lovely term for silver hairs....
I don't think you're a bit wierd at all for getting excited when you found your first one.
It's very much a rite of passage and something to be celebrated.

friskybiznus
October 7th, 2009, 09:53 PM
my silvers are uniquely me!

QueenMadge
October 7th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I got my first greys at 24. I wish that I had embraced them then. I have spent years in hair colors that did not suit my skin tone, that I had to touch up every two weeks to not have roots and missed out on enjoying my natural hair color before the greys really came in this last ten years or so. I also damaged my naturally dry hair with all the dye. I have cut off damage and color multiple times. I would have been at goal many years ago if I had accepted my silver sparklers.

Canarygirl
October 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I think about these things:

1. Every day in the elevator at work I look at professional men with lots of silver in their hair. It looks good; it does not make them look "old." Then I imagine these same men as if they were dying their hair and what would I think of them? I would think, "Oh...that's kind of sad...they must be insecure about getting older." I think it's much sexier to be fit, self-confident, and to embrace who you are.

2. Occasionally I see a woman with waist length or longer silver hair. I think it's beautiful, and I remind myself that if the woman had been dying her hair, she wouldn't have achieved that striking head of long silver hair. She woud have short hair, two-toned hair, or long dyed hair. Then I realize that I'm lucky to have "seen the light," and stopped coloring my hair early so that my two-tonedness is mild and not glaring. I can grow out my hair naturally and some day I will be one of these women with long, striking silver hair! (There will be many women wishing they'd done the same instead of being trapped in their hair-coloring routines.)

Linda K
October 7th, 2009, 11:43 PM
I honestly can't say I love them - but they are here to stay.
Mine are primarily in the front and moving down the sides and slowly to the back. I think I'd be happier if it was all white instead of everything in between!

I finally quit coloring when my scalp rebelled w/ blisters.
The first one showed up at 16 in the front. I plucked a few times. You don't want to loose a single one - when the silvery white snow takes over, you'll be fluffing to hide that pink scalp!

Mom, Grandma and Gr. Grandma all had snowy white hair that was just beautiful! I want that - only long. It's more a matter of self-discovery, security and confidence. Some days are much easier - some can be downright hard. Then I remember overall I'm not a teen-ager, wouldn't want to be - why should I look like one. Keep your hair shining with good health. Focus on fitness & taking care of your skin. One day those snowy pearls will be the frame around your eyes & complexion (good or bad).

Spend some time over at Going Gray Looking Great. The gal on the cover epitomizes the "Frame" concept!

Oh dear! If you need some reasons not to dye: http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/index.php?/gray_today/article/in_the_spotlight_it_happened_to_me/

fluffybunny
October 8th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I love mine because they are interesting-- they're wiry and kinky and weird, and it's interesting to see where they'll pop up. I have a faint stripe, and a bunch in the back underneath, and a few at the temples. It's really random.

When I see young women with grey I think it looks awesome, I guess because of the uniqueness of it.

Elenna
October 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Wish that I'd stopped dyeing my hair years ago. I've been growing out the dye for the past 2.5 years. The natural hair color is like a river of silver, very pretty.

Rhea
October 8th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Couldn't have said it any better that rags.:thumbsup: People thought my white streaks were deliberate.:cool:
Yess ! Same by me ! http://wuerziworld.de/Smilies/mx/mx7.gif

Elvi
October 8th, 2009, 03:39 AM
Like others have stated here, I love my whites and silvers, because they give my hair more unique features and personality. They are a signmark of real natural hair color, a thing appreciated by many.

PhillyGirl1978@
October 9th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I think about these things:

1. Every day in the elevator at work I look at professional men with lots of silver in their hair. It looks good; it does not make them look "old." Then I imagine these same men as if they were dying their hair and what would I think of them? I would think, "Oh...that's kind of sad...they must be insecure about getting older." I think it's much sexier to be fit, self-confident, and to embrace who you are.

2. Occasionally I see a woman with waist length or longer silver hair. I think it's beautiful, and I remind myself that if the woman had been dying her hair, she wouldn't have achieved that striking head of long silver hair. She woud have short hair, two-toned hair, or long dyed hair. Then I realize that I'm lucky to have "seen the light," and stopped coloring my hair early so that my two-tonedness is mild and not glaring. I can grow out my hair naturally and some day I will be one of these women with long, striking silver hair! (There will be many women wishing they'd done the same instead of being trapped in their hair-coloring routines.)

You know that is something I think about. I am 31 and I have only seem maybe 4 or 5 in the past 4 years so it's not much. But I henna, and I have some henna left, I would like to use it all before I stop coloring all together and see if the grays will suit me. The idea of long silver hair does kind of intrigue me, it looks kind of magical and graceful. Maybe I'd just do rinses to enhance the color some. But I guess I can finish my henna without risking that whole two-toned thing since I don't have many yet.

mellie
October 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM
It's beautiful and sexy! Long silvers and silver streaks are amazing!!

Charentais
October 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Because silver is a precious metal.

Because silver/gray hair is distinctive in a culture which seems to want to hide it.

Because my silver strands shine.

(my grays started coming in my early twenties. I'm mostly brownish/red still, can't wait for more silver!)

Charentais
October 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Wait! Maybe silver is semi-precious!

Well, whatever. You get my point!

Brisen
October 9th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Because in the end they are gonna win and I'm not, so I leave them be. I don't dye them... never did and have no plans on starting.

This pretty much sums it up for me. I've never really been interested in dyeing my hair -- too much mess and fuss for uncertain results that are just going to grow out anyway and probably need to be maintained. So when I found a few greys at 22, I was surprised, but let them be. They didn't really get noticeable until I was around 28; I've had family members comment on it recently, as now it's even more noticeable. My hair has always been just brown, with a little bit of colour variation, but mostly just brown. A change is nice.

My greys are mostly coming in at my temples, or just behind my ears, or something. When I put my hair back, it makes a nice silver streak on each side. And the greys that are scattered through the rest of my hair make for a variation from the regular brown. It's interesting to see how my hair is changing, too.

JamieLeigh
October 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I love my greys because I feel I've earned them. I've had five kids, been through one divorce and maybe about to go through another. I'm pretty surprised that I'm not completely white-headed by now. :p

Also, because with my genetics, I'll probably continue to have a youthful face far into my greying. And I think that'll look very cool. :D

spidermom
October 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I honestly think that mine are pretty. I like the color now better than the color I had 15-20 years ago.