PDA

View Full Version : What to do with your hair when you're not washing it that day?

Anywhere
October 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I'm trying to go NW/SO, since my scalp is always dry and flaky, and in turn, my hair looks dry too. I'm going to assume that going NW/SO will help get more natural oils on my hair. I haven't tried going more than a week without washing.

If i don't wash I always put it in a bun with my hairtie (the ends get all frazzled looking so I don't like doing that, but I don't know what else to do) and put a shower cap over that.

What do you do? (sorry if this belongs in polls & projects :oops:)

*yes, i meant in the shower. :oops:

Heidi_234
October 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM
ETA: Ah :doh: I guess I got it all wrong. Move on.
My hair and scalp are dry too, and if I weren't swimming and obliged to wash it I'd go NW/SO as well. I find that my hair has no problem with any amount of coconut oil, and that I actually have to reapply it daily, because it seems to be gone/gets soaked up. I read some people apply aloe vera gel even though they are NW/SO, and that it doesn't build up.

ChrissieM
October 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Are you asking about what you do in the shower if not washing your hair? I put mine up in an octopus clip if I'm not washing it. I always end up getting my bands and nape area a little wet, but they dry quickly if the length isn't all wet. Buns with hairties and even scrunchies as the only means of securing them make my hair all frazzled , too.

angelthadiva
October 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM
OP, please clarify. Do you mean while you are bathing or do you mean to wear out in public? I'm assuming you mean while you are bathing, why else would you be wearing a shower cap, but I just want to make sure.

I wash [my hair] every other day and bathe everyday, so the day I don't wash my hair it is up in a shower cap to keep it from getting wet. I tend to get a little wild apparently in the water and no matter what I do, I end up getting my hair wet unless it's in a shower cap.

I can manage to take a bath w/o getting my hair sopped w/o a shower cap. In those instances I usually have my hair bunned up. :shrug: HTH :flower:

heatherdazy
October 7th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I wear a shower cap or take a bath. I prefer the latter, though, because something about not having the water on your head in the shower really bothers me.

As for styling, I usually sleep in braids and wear my hair something like my sig pic. The last day before I'm going to wash it, I wear it up and the extra grease keeps it in place. I wash about 2x/week, sometimes a little less.

If your hair is short enough (apl... possibly bsl if it's not too thick?) you can get it into a shower cap without pulling it back by tossing your head upside down and putting the cap over it, then tucking in any strays.

motormuffin
October 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I exercise every day during the week. I don't wash it every day but I do rinse it. On the weekends, I put it up in a claw clip or a bun when I shower.

Dars
October 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I put my hair in a quick pony tail and don't pull out the tail through the last turn so it's hooped and tucked in. Then chuck on a material head band to get my fringe off my face.

Honey39
October 7th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I usually wash my hair every day, but if not, I stick it up with a clasp. It doesn't really get wet in the shower that way, but I'm not entirely sure why not, lol. I think I've mastered the art of getting the showerhead at face height and spraying outwards then overhead and spraying downwards, if that in any way makes sense, lol.

Komodia
October 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
i use a hair towel. like this http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00YRtTQeEzKaroM/Drying-Hair-Towel-Cap.jpg

the same ones i use to dry my hair a bit after washing my hair. i usually wash it once or twice a week, i could wash it even less if it wasn't so crazy hahaha.. sometimes i wish i had straight or slightly wavy hair :(

ravenreed
October 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
I usually do a lazy wrap bun with a short ketylo stick and then use a shower cap. If I do anything longer the caps get holes and octopus clips hurt my scalp now.

embee
October 8th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I did WO for a while and I also tried NW/SO for most of one winter. I put my hair into a high topknot, like my sleeping topknot, and wear a shower cap. Works for me. I still do this as I shower more frequently than I wash my hair. The topknot has my ends wrapped around and tucked, so they don't get wet at all.

Anje
October 8th, 2009, 07:14 AM
In the shower, I usually just put it up with a waterproof stick or pin, and/or cover it with a shower cap. Often I don't bother to cover it, and I just don't stick my head under the water. If a little splatters onto my hair when I wash my face or the back of my neck, it's not a big deal.

Brighe
October 8th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I put it in a scrunchie-bun on top of my head and put the showerhead in the height of my nape...
so my hair doesn´t get wet at all :)

JamieLeigh
October 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I just use a towel, or my Turbie-Twist (which is a towel, lol). I make a turban and there it sits, staying nice and dry. And when I'm done, I can take it off and dry my body with it (if it's not my Turbie-Twist, lol). :)

Eden Iris
October 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Octopus clip! A little dampness around the edges actually makes my updos stay better.