PDA

View Full Version : Scrunchies vs Elastics (Hair bands)

shadowclaw
October 6th, 2009, 10:35 PM
We all know that elastics can damage our hair and leave us with a halo of short hairs. I was wondering recently if scrunchies have the same effect. When I use a hair band, it's usually a medium-width band and fits tightly with three twists. When usuing a scrunchie, I also do three twists, but they tend to fit more loosely. Not to mention they are typically covered with smooth, hair-friendly fabric.

I can't say I notice any broken hairs attached to my hair bands or scrunchies when I take them out, but I do have some damage to the hair on the very front of my head. It seems to be thinner and weaker there, and I think it may have been damaged by my elastics. Before going to college, I only ever used scrunchies and didn't have this problem, which leads me to believe that scrunchies are much more hair-friendly than regular elastics.

Any thoughts?

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM
hmmmm... want to see the replies... I wear small scrunchies at work for that reason (no damage)... I hope I am correct?

Dars
October 6th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I use elastics without the metal part but they aren't completley seamless as theres a blob of glue to attach the ends. I haven't used scrunchies since the '90's and even then it wasn't by choice! :p I don't have any hairs attached to the band when I remove it so it's really your preference that matters in the end.

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I use elastics without the metal part but they aren't completley seamless as theres a blob of glue to attach the ends. I haven't used scrunchies since the '90's and even then it wasn't by choice! :p I don't have any hairs attached to the band when I remove it so it's really your preference that matters in the end.

Yeah, scrunchies are really not my "fashion" choice.... :lol:
The only reason I got them was after joining here I learned about elastic damage.... I thought they might be "softer" on my hair and I have to wear my hair up at work.
I use them to make a "sorta" bun..... maybe I should invest in better hair toys.... :p

little_acorn
October 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
Ha I use both :D

Seamless elastics for under some buns if I want a super tight hold and silk scrunchies for bedtime braids :D

I generally don't notice any broken hairs caught in either

Tinose
October 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I've been thinking of switching over to scrunchies rather than bands because I've consistently heard that they're more hairfriendly, but I'm not sure what would be best for the end of my braid. And considering I wear a braid a LOT more than I do anything starting with a ponytail, that's what I'm concerned with. You could also try a Bunjii, I suppose. I've heard they're good for hair too.

ademtce
October 7th, 2009, 12:24 AM
I do have some damage to the hair on the very front of my head. It seems to be thinner and weaker there, and I think it may have been damaged by my elastics. Before going to college, I only ever used scrunchies and didn't have this problem, which leads me to believe that scrunchies are much more hair-friendly than regular elastics.

Any thoughts?

the hair in front of your head grow differently than the hair on the backside and closer to the nape. so it tends to be thinner in the front and thicker in the back.

you may also just be noticing your hair changing, the hair you had in college isn't the hair you have now - thats just my :twocents:

Tangerine
October 7th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I cut up an old pair of tights so I have a ton of 'homemade' hair bands. They seem very friendly :) I mostly only use them to tie up my night braids though. If I were to use them for a full-on ponytail they wouldn't hold very long.

Flynn
October 7th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I'm unconvinced that it makes a significant difference as long as you carefully unwind your elastics/scrunchies rather than pull them straight out.

Rosetta
October 7th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Based on everything I know, scrunchies are definitely way more hair-friendly than elastics (ouch)...

As to their look, that's a matter of taste, of course ;) (Although I don't know what makes scrunchies so much more laughable than elastics... Depends how you wear them, I guess.)

marikamt
October 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Based on everything I know, scrunchies are definitely way more hair-friendly than elastics (ouch)...

As to their look, that's a matter of taste, of course ;) (Although I don't know what makes scrunchies so much more laughable than elastics... Depends how you wear them, I guess.)

They are way more basic nowadays, mine are a basic black and brown small to medium size...... I think most of laugh/ cringe because we remember them from the '90's... they were HUGE and lots of texture, colors, fabrics, etc...... I think it is like anything that was a huge fad.... there is nothing inherently wrong with them, it is just a connotation in our head .....

ambychelle
October 7th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I have so many new hairs growing and so much damage to grow out that I can't really tell on my head. But, now that I've been paying attention, I DO notice a distinct line of breakage in my 7 year olds hair from elastics we use to put her hair in pig tails. We onlyuse "ouchless" that don't have a seam or metal so it's not happening from that. It seems like friction from the elastic is literally sawing through the outer layer of hairs. Now, her hairs are very very thin in that you have to hold it up to the light to even see it and you certainly can't feel a single hair rolled between your fingers. So, maybe her hair is more delicate.

What I've started doing is using ties that look like this http://www.bebabo.co.nz/catalog/images/products/006776_4c_F_01.jpg (without the dangles or course). Then, because these are pretty soft and don't have a lot of grip, we put an ouchless elastic over the top of it for extra grip but not actually touching the hair. We found a bunch of the soft ones that were larger than normal (usually they are teeny tiny and sold for toddler hair) and in a soft brown color so they blend really well.

I use scrunchies at home sometimes because the elastics scare me now but I think I might try making some elastics out of tights or panty hose and see how that works for my hair.

clairenewcastle
October 7th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Scrunchies have such bad press yet what is there to criticise about them?
Okay, they may not be very stylish but they do a wonderful job of securing my hair without damage, their grip is firm yet delicate.
I for one will continue to use them.

Dars
October 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
[/b]

They are way more basic nowadays, mine are a basic black and brown small to medium size...... I think most of laugh/ cringe because we remember them from the '90's... they were HUGE and lots of texture, colors, fabrics, etc...... I think it is like anything that was a huge fad.... there is nothing inherently wrong with them, it is just a connotation in our head .....
:agree: Yes that's right. :p I'd prefer to use those "foam" bands that are really soft. I don't know the exact name but school children typically wear them because of the bright colours. They look like this: http://www.ladyjayne.com.au/ajax.php?pid=132&height=300&width=500

shadowclaw
October 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the replies! I might just switch back to scrunchies for ponytails. My ouchless bands must be doing the damage, despite not having metal. Personally, I enjoy scrunchies... I don't have any crazy ones, and I did like matching the color of my scrunchie to my shirt way back when.

The ponytail has been pretty much my # 1 hairstyle for several years, because I have to put my hair back at work, and my food service jobs (except for my current one) required a hat, and the ponytail was the only way to wear my hair with it. Somewhere along the way, I discovered that skinny elastics work better with hats than fat scrunchies. Now I am hat-free, so I can do whatever I want with my hair.

friskybiznus
October 8th, 2009, 12:27 AM
OK. I'll admit it. I love my scrunchies. There. I said it.

JCFantasy23
October 8th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I like scrunchies for quick, cute, and casual looks. Here's hoping no damage is caused by them. Wearing one right now.

marikamt
October 8th, 2009, 10:36 AM
OK. I'll admit it. I love my scrunchies. There. I said it.

They say admitting you have a problem is the first step...... :D

JCfantasy23... I am wearing one too... maybe we should start a "who is wearing a scrunchie right now" thread.... hee hee

JessTheMess
October 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I love my scrunchies!! I don't care how out of fashion they are, they hold my hair the best and they never rip my hairs out

twolunarspring
October 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I don't really get why people are so down on scrunchies these days - I think they're great. Especially silk ones, they're the perfect thing for fastening your hair as far as I can see.

Kris Dove
October 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I've been looking for a tiny black satin scrunchie for the end of my braid instead of my usual metal-free band, but I can't seem to find one just like that anywhere. A few years ago it would've been so easy to find too, very annoying when things go out of fashion!

Flynn
October 8th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I've been looking for a tiny black satin scrunchie for the end of my braid instead of my usual metal-free band, but I can't seem to find one just like that anywhere. A few years ago it would've been so easy to find too, very annoying when things go out of fashion!

So make one! XD

All you need is a bit of normal elastic (not a hairtie, just elastic from the dress-shop), a bit of satin about three times the length of the elastic, and you just sew it into a tube, thread the elastic in, and stitch it closed. It means you get exactly the size and style you were after, every time.

curls2grow
October 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Scrunchies call attention to my thin ponytail circumference, so I don't use them. I love the BLAX silicone elastics (one continuous silicone band; no seams, no metal, no pulling, etc.) I dont' even double-wrap them around my thin ponytails; they stay in, are so comfortable, and slide off easily when I want to remove them.

Bunnyhare
October 8th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I cut up an old pair of tights so I have a ton of 'homemade' hair bands. They seem very friendly :) I mostly only use them to tie up my night braids though. If I were to use them for a full-on ponytail they wouldn't hold very long.
I did this after reading that old panty hose make the best elastics and they hold really well for me, they seem smoother than elastics or scrunchies (if i use it full sized and do alot of wraps it holds great, if i fold it in half then do the wraps it does not hold very long)..but i really switch up my 'do's alot and don't repeat anything routinely but a cinnabun with a wood fork so..thats just my thoughts!

CaityBear
October 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I wear them to bed and around the house alot. Sometimes I wear them out to put up a bun.

goddesslynne
October 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I like to use stretchy fabric headbands as scrunchies. They take many twists to get snug, so they are substantial looking without the "volume" of scrunchies.

babbleball
October 8th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Soooo.... a little off topic but what's the deal with scrunchies and style? Long hair is not exactly in style either, but here we all are thumbing our noses at the masses with our long or soon to be long hair. Why should we care whether or not scrunchies are in style?

Bunnyhare
October 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Soooo.... a little off topic but what's the deal with scrunchies and style? Long hair is not exactly in style either, but here we all are thumbing our noses at the masses with our long or soon to be long hair. Why should we care whether or not scrunchies are in style?

HEAR HEAR!!:cheese:

marikamt
October 9th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I don't think we REALLY care..... most of us who posted on here are wearing them as we speak... I think it is poking fun at ourselves.....
Personally, I have no issue embracing my inner-geek :D

Dars
October 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
It's not about style, it's about personal preference. Just like long hair is a preference.

Friesian Horse
October 9th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I have noticed a lot less breakage since switching from elastics to scrunchies. Even my mom pointed out that there were a lot less flyaway broken hairs after only using scruchies for 6 months.

I get the smallest scrunchies they sell, not the big poofy kind.

going gray
October 10th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Really sorry I gave my schrunchies away, I had a big gift box full of all types. Well said ladies, who cares what's in fashion these days!

CurlyGirlCa
October 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Scrunchies call attention to my thin ponytail circumference, so I don't use them. I love the BLAX silicone elastics (one continuous silicone band; no seams, no metal, no pulling, etc.) I dont' even double-wrap them around my thin ponytails; they stay in, are so comfortable, and slide off easily when I want to remove them.

Thanks for the review - I had wondered about them.

shadowclaw
October 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I don't think we REALLY care..... most of us who posted on here are wearing them as we speak... I think it is poking fun at ourselves.....
Personally, I have no issue embracing my inner-geek :D

My inner-geek isn't so inner :) I'm all about being geeky.

I started wearing my scrunchies again this past weel... I only have two right now. A velvety black one, and a satiny blue one. I love them both. I actually seem to be getting better hold with my black one than with my ouchless hair bands. Although I always move my ponytail everytime I put on a sweatshirt :p

So I've definitely decided that I'm only going to wear scrunchies from now on, unless I'm doing some kind of bun or something that requires a skinny elastic. If my fly-aways and breakage go away in a few months, then I will know for sure that elastics are the problem.