PDA

View Full Version : new 'do (for me)

intothemist1999
October 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'm trying to come up with another 'do besides buns and braided ponies. The braided ponies are really getting too long to wear to work, so I mostly wear buns (Myst puts one her best "Newt" voice and says, "....mowstly..." :D).

Usually my bun is pretty small to keep it tight. I use a lazy-wrap bun...works wonderfully with a single stick or a fork. I can get away with making the LWB fairly wide if I use an elastic. I can't seem to hold a French twist any more.

I couldn't think of anything new, so I thought I'd do a braided bun (like in my profile photo), but I have to make those fairly small, too, and the middle always looks so nobby/bulky and once I wrap the length, it's so thin it disappears around the centre. It goes around only once and a bit, so there's not much to it, visually.

Soooo...on a whim I thought I'd try to braid two sections and wrap them around each other. I figured that way they'd be similar in thickness and hopefully less likely to taper into nothingness!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/linsoolam/Hair%20stuff/styles/DSC00741.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/linsoolam/Hair%20stuff/styles/DSC00744-1.jpg

I gathered the top hair as if to do a half-up, and braided it then braided the lower half. I did a cinnabun held with a stick for the top one, then wrapped the lower one around the first, also held with a stick.

What I like about it is that it's spread over a wider area, and it didn't stick out in the very centre. Also, the second braid was wrapped behind the first stick which helped secure it. I HATE HATE HATE bobby pins so I hoped to be able to hold the whole thing with sticks. The second tassle did need a pin to keep it from sticking out...I can live with that. :)

It's VERY secure and since it's fairly flat against the back of my head, it didn't bump the headrest in the car at all. I like that the braid can be seen clearly.

This is the first time I've used TWO sticks! Usually because my buns are small, two sticks looks redundant, and I only have pairs of longer sticks, so it tended to look like a tv antenna or something! Ok, I just dated myself. Now I get to indulge stick-pairs buying!! :D

Sorry about the CRAZY FRIZZ! I got excited to take pics before I'd finished the whole thing! lol

bgarrison
October 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
That turned out so nicely! I love all the textures of the braids. Very professional and pretty, too. :)

Speckla
October 6th, 2009, 06:14 PM
What a good idea. That is so pretty and looks like so much more hair.

intothemist1999
October 6th, 2009, 06:22 PM
What a good idea. That is so pretty and looks like so much more hair.

That's what I thought, too -- it looks like a much longer braid! ;)

little_acorn
October 6th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I like it and will definitely try this one

:flower: thanks for sharing

maegquare
October 6th, 2009, 09:23 PM
That looks really pretty. I don't know how to do many different buns yet, but I especially like braided buns and will have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing this!

friskybiznus
October 6th, 2009, 09:25 PM
oooo, very pretty!! dare I try it? hmmmm....

Amoretti
October 7th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Wow, it makes your bun HUGE! Nice!

Lamb
October 7th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Very pretty! :agree:

Tangerine
October 7th, 2009, 03:41 AM
That looks really pretty and elegant! Like a ballerina :blossom:

spidermom
October 7th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Your braided bun looks very pretty. Good job.

Maddy25
October 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Very classy :)

Tashomani
October 7th, 2009, 07:33 AM
That looks so nice! I am going to try this in a few minutes (as soon as I get though reading more on LHC) ! I have been looking for something different to do with my hair! Thanks for posting this!

Peggy E.
October 7th, 2009, 07:40 AM
This looks great! The best Chinese Bun I was ever able to achieve was made with two braids done in the manner you describe. Still didn't look all that great, but it was the best I was ever able to achieve (before I tossed in the towel and sold the Graydog!)

sherigayle
October 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
That's very nice. I hate how my braided bun bumps out in the middle. I'm going to try it this way.

Tess2319
October 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Very nice! :applause

My hair is a little shorter than yours, and my braid isn't quite long enough to make a bun. I'm going to try yours!

Gumball
October 7th, 2009, 10:50 AM
That turned out great! Very nice!

Pumpkin
October 7th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Very pretty, great job. I cannot wait until my hair gets that long...right now the jaw clip is my best friend! :D

Islandgrrl
October 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Very nice! Looks like a great big bun to me!

KatKeRo
October 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Looks good.

Topaz
October 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
It's lovely! I'm going to try it as soon as I get home tonight!

eresh
October 7th, 2009, 03:04 PM
That looks great!

Bunnyhare
October 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM
it does look beautiful! your bun looks so big like that! YEA for big buns!..well, you know..:0)

intothemist1999
October 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the comments, everyone! :flower:

I undid the bun, but left the two braid in overnight and did it up again the next day.

I decided to wear it this way again today...I think it may become my bun 'o choice!

And the visuals must be working. Someone I work with said today, "you have alot of hair!"

JamieLeigh
October 9th, 2009, 09:21 AM
This looks very nice on you! Having 2 braids instead of just 1 really shows off your length, too. :flower: