PDA

View Full Version : Can you CO wash daily or is that damaging?

Goose
October 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Forgive me if this question has already been posted but I am just now getting into CO washing and my hair loves it...I currently do CO wash every other day with no problems..

I plan to start an exercise program....so I was just curious if CO washing everyday would be bad for my hair? After working out, I will probably feel like I need to clean my hair...so what do you think?

1) Is daily CO washing damaging?
2) If so, what can I do in between washes to keep my hair feeling clean?

Lemur_Catta
October 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Well, it depends on your hair. There are people here who CO wash daily with good results, but what works for them don't always work for you.
It depends on your hair type. I think CO itself is not damaging, but there are other things related to washing that could potentially be damaging. For example, heat. Do you plan on blow drying your hair daily, or will you be air drying? Is your hair particularly fragile when it is wet? Unfortunately, this problems will remain even if you do water only rinses. I think that if you don't blow dry, you will be fine, unless you have really fragile hair.

Honey39
October 6th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I CO-wash every morning. Suits me down to the ground, and my hair thrives on it (been doing it for 15 months now). I don't heat style though, and I have curly hair, so don't mind no brushing etc. Also, I have thick hair but it's mid-back, and I don't mind it being wet.

Goose
October 6th, 2009, 02:02 PM
My hair type is thin, fine, highlighted.... I only airdry - I never use heat...

I don't comb my hair until it is dry...

You think then I should be ok?

jivete
October 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm beginning to believe over-wetting my hair is damaging. I have fine, fairly thin hair that damages easily. I'm trying to reduce even getting my hair saturated to 2x per week. I have been wetting every other day. I will still mist with distilled water, and I don't think that hurts anything, but for me, the I think getting it saturated in the shower with WO, CO or whatever is a little damaging.

GlassEyes
October 6th, 2009, 02:58 PM
It's my preferred method. If it didn't take so long to dry, I'd CO everyday forever--but that'll change as it gets longer.

Longlocks3
October 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I CO wash every night. BUT I found the right CO to use, and it took a lot of experiment. I feel daily CO is less damaging than daily shampoo and conditioner washes, but that's just my opinion.

AJoifulNoise
October 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I managed okay with daily CO. You'd have to try it and see.

Peter
October 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
If you have very fine or damage-prone hair it may not be a good idea to wet it every day but you really have to see what works for you. Try it out and see if you notice more splits/breakage than usual.

Also, would you consider doing WO only washes in between? Something like CO one day, WO the next? Just an idea. :)

CaityBear
October 6th, 2009, 09:16 PM
I used to do CO every day. Now I've cut back washing my hair a bit, but I never found it to damage my hair at all.

In between full washes, I would dilute about a tablespoon or two of conditioner and a conditioner bottle full of water, shake it till it's very sudsy and then I'd rinse that over my hair and that helped keep it fairly clean without having to do a full CO washing.