PDA

View Full Version : Icky stage past BSL?????

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I need some advice/ help/ support.........

I really thought when I got to BSL, my icky stages would be over. I am just past, and I HATE IT!!!!!!!!! I do have layers, haven't had them cut in almost a year... did have a micro trim on the ends...... my shortest layer (except for my bangs) is about shoulder length...... I can't seem to make pretty updos (due to layers?) and I hate it down......
Has anyone else experienced this??? If I grow another couple inches (power thru), will I be better???
Am really considering cutting to APL.........
I know I have mentioned this in other threads/ etc... have been feeling like this for about a month......

Syaoransbear
October 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
My hair is 24 and a half inches, almost the same length as yours, and I'm totally in some weird gross stage where my hair just looks icky no matter what. I thought I'd be so thrilled to be this long, but lately all I've been thinking about is cutting off about 4 inches and thickening up the bottom. I'm going to resist though because it'll probably take a whole other year to get to this point, and I'm incredibly impatient. I just put my hair in a braid and power through the day. I'll get to my goal faster if I leave it alone!

Oh, looks like we both have the same goal too!

Tinose
October 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I have to admit, having layers that left some of my hair at shoulder when the rest of my hair was at BSL would drive me nuts. If they're at the front, what you could do when you do updos is leave a couple shoulder-length strands loose at the front to soften your face a little. If you don't like that, what I've been doing near daily with hair not that much longer is French braiding it. There's lots of French braid variations you can do (Dutch braids, rope braids, multiple braids, maybe even a crown braid) and they tend to work to keep shorter hair in place without annoying me. If you don't like the way you look with them down, you could do a French braid leading into a bun or something. There's lots of hairstyles that work with shorter hair.

If that doesn't work, and you think you'd be long-term happier evening it out now rather than slowly microtrimming over the years until the layers are gone, though, then yeah, you might want to consider cutting it. Whatever you think would make you happier now and in the long term is the best.

lapushka
October 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Maybe you could maintain at BSL and gradually cut the layers out? Other than that, I think there's fairly little you can do about the layers... besides cutting back to shoulder length (which I wouldn't do). I'm between APL & BSL and have layers too. They don't bother me but I do think I'm at an awkward stage nonetheless and I think reaching BSL won't make it that much better either...

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 10:06 AM
My hair is 24 and a half inches, almost the same length as yours, and I'm totally in some weird gross stage where my hair just looks icky no matter what. I thought I'd be so thrilled to be this long, but lately all I've been thinking about is cutting off about 4 inches and thickening up the bottom. I'm going to resist though because it'll probably take a whole other year to get to this point, and I'm incredibly impatient. I just put my hair in a braid and power through the day. I'll get to my goal faster if I leave it alone!

Oh, looks like we both have the same goal too!

Oh thank God!!!!! I thought it was just me!!!!!!! Glad to know I am not nuts... I really thought I would be happy at this length too!

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I used to curl/ hot roller... and I LOVED these layers then.... my hair looked so pretty and full........ so I think it is also withdrawal from heat styling, learning new things to do with it.... I am SEVERELY braid challenged, and with the layers, a regular/ basic braid just doesn't work......
I keep telling myself I am only 4 inches from my goal..... 6 mos is NOTHING, then I can start thickening/ trimming the hem......
Just hate it right now.

amaiaisabella
October 6th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Why don't you try magnetic rollers? That way, the only damage (if that) you'd sustain is from the bobby pins holding them in place. I like them a lot, and if you have the patience to wait for your hair to dry, they work very well :)

motormuffin
October 6th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Mine is in the SAME spot...short layer at shoulder. Sometimes it helps if I put a little squeezy clip in like a 1/2 up and then do a bun. It does bother me that I have 'feathers' that stick out of my buns. I vowed not to cut it or trim it until next Sept. I last had a trim in May. I also have highlights...I may go in and have her put some low lights in to blend it some.

nmarie33
October 6th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I'm right there with ya...I'm past BSL now but not to waist, and my shortest layers are a little past shoulder. How nice it would be not to have the layers. They looked good with my original haircut over a year ago, but now they just look grody when my hair is down. Just hang in there, it's gotta get better! Braid your hair wet and it won't poke out so much. A wet rope braid works pretty well for me.

amoulixes
October 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
This is one of the reasons why my hair never got very long! I'd hit this stage, feel so yucky, and chop it off! I finally managed to power through, and at 29" I am VERY satisfied and happy that I waited. The only thing I ever did around your length was ponytail. I'm not sure if it's because you become limited at that length, or if I was just lazy and non-inventive (I'm pretty sure it's the latter). Yes, it will get better when it's a little longer, you just have to get through this rough patch!

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm right there with ya...I'm past BSL now but not to waist, and my shortest layers are a little past shoulder. How nice it would be not to have the layers. They looked good with my original haircut over a year ago, but now they just look grody when my hair is down. Just hang in there, it's gotta get better! Braid your hair wet and it won't poke out so much. A wet rope braid works pretty well for me.

Good idea... I will try today..... when it dries, do any of your shorter layers "fall out"? that is the other issue I am having with braids (although I suppose a bobby pin would fix that)... I see you are curly.... my hair gets "slippery" and the irritating layers fall out and hang in my face..... which could be cute, but at work I want it up and out of my face........

spidermom
October 6th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I've got shorter side pieces that I've been leaving out of my up-dos lately because I'm so tired of seeing my face with my hair all skinned back. You could try that, as Tinose already suggested.

I had similar hair hate when I reached waist length. It was such a let-down. I'd been practically holding my breath with excitement to get to waist length, but then none of my favorite up-dos (like the french twist) would work anymore, and I had to find new ways to wear my hair. When you want to experiment, that's one thing, but when you have to do it - totally obnoxious.

Power through. Long hair is worth waiting for (if you like that sort of thing, which most of us here at LHC do).

Syaoransbear
October 6th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Oh thank God!!!!! I thought it was just me!!!!!!! Glad to know I am not nuts... I really thought I would be happy at this length too!
It's so strange too because a few inches shorter ago I would have never DREAMED of cutting off that much hair! Last year I'd savor the length of every strand. This is the first time I've ever felt like lopping off a bunch of hair before, so I'm really hoping this feeling will pass. As much as I want to do it, I know that I don't really, truly, want to do it. I just got to keep convincing myself that :pray:

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM
It's so strange too because a few inches shorter ago I would have never DREAMED of cutting off that much hair! Last year I'd savor the length of every strand. This is the first time I've ever felt like lopping off a bunch of hair before, so I'm really hoping this feeling will pass. As much as I want to do it, I know that I don't really, truly, want to do it. I just got to keep convincing myself that :pray:

Me too! I was so excited and counting every millimeter until BSL........
Let's make a pact...... no cutting until until Jan 1.... we can do ANYTHING for 90 days...... then re-evaluate....... If we feel like cutting, we will have an intervention for each other..... :)

ambychelle
October 6th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I'm in that exact same place too. This is always the point that I end up getting a few inches taken off (and re-layered) because down it looks boring and a little.. lank? and it doesn't go up well with the layers all poking out.

My worst problem is that my shorter layers that are just creeping past shoulder length really really need trimmed because of damage. That's my "canopy" and took the brunt of the flat iron and blow drying and styling so those shorter layers look rough but I can't see any way to trim just those layers without making my "layered' situation worse.

I consider trimming to shoulder length daily but I've NEVER had hair that short and I just don't think it's "me". I'm going to power through until my shortest layers reach APL and then go to the salon and have all my hair re-layered but with the layers much closer together taking off quite a bit of length and just the very tips if the shortest layer. It'll probably bring me to just above BSL, but with much healthier hair and closer to a blunt hemline. I need 4 inches which means 6-8 months. That sounds like forever to just get back to where I am right now. :( I keep reminding myself that MY goal is health more than it is length.

Papillonnoir
October 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm yet another in the same spot. My hair is in a really deep V shape, so the very front is collar bone. My only solace is that messy updos actually tend to look better with layers and whatnot. A messy bun on the crown is one of the few styles I can count on.

nmarie33
October 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Good idea... I will try today..... when it dries, do any of your shorter layers "fall out"? that is the other issue I am having with braids (although I suppose a bobby pin would fix that)... I see you are curly.... my hair gets "slippery" and the irritating layers fall out and hang in my face..... which could be cute, but at work I want it up and out of my face........

No, if I braid when it's really wet it holds together pretty well. I don't have the issue of slippery hair though, mine is pretty rough (but getting softer thanks to treating it nice). Another thing I do sometimes is make a braid and then tie a scarf around my head like a headband. That ought to keep your layers next to your head!

Sheltie_Momma
October 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Mine is about 5 inches below bra strap, the back layers are further down than yours, about 3 inches from the bottom but the front ones (what used to be long side bangs) are just past shoulder and pretty damaged. I have to bun or braid my hair wet in order for it to stay without bits poking out. I think half ups are also another good way to go at this stage, lets you enjoy the longer hair but gets the layers up, back, and out of the way. I think I am now only a few inches away from a whole new set of updo's (Once my hair will coil a full three times) and I'm glad I powered through the stage you are at.

jivete
October 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I'm having issues right now too and I'm just barely past BSL. Old layers that need to go, damage on the last several inches that is really starting to bug me... But I've made it this far so now I've vowed to wait until Dec. 3rd before I'm allowed to trim (Morocco method optimal trim date) and wear it up until then and also stretch my washes.

jojo
October 6th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I grew all my layers out and started growing my fringe out Aug 07, this now is begining to bug me as it sits on my shoulder, but I know this isn't forever once you get past bsl it will look better.

Hang in there!

Kris Dove
October 6th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Your hair sounds like mine- it would look more even if I cut back to APL but I really, really don't want to do that so long as it still looks relatively okay, so I'll just get rid of the layers gradually with microtrims and search and destroy for now.

Kris Dove
October 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Let's make a pact...... no cutting until until Jan 1.... we can do ANYTHING for 90 days...... then re-evaluate....... If we feel like cutting, we will have an intervention for each other..... :)I'm joining your pact guys!:D

InTheCity
October 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
It may be more of a dealing-with-my-natural-texture thing than a length thing.

Part of your growing journey (and mine as well) includes giving up heat styling so it may just be getting used to what your hair looks like naturally.

If you used to straighten, try the guilt-free hair wrapping method. It totally made my day. I always used to use heat to make my hair smoother - my natural waves are clumpy and just yuck to me. But after wrapping, it's looking great and I'm feeling really good about the length (close to yours.)

1, 2, 3 - love your own hair!

JamieRose
October 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I am in the EXACT same situation... I feel your pain!!! I'm going to start doing micro trims after Christmas to get rid of the layers. I don't really have any good advice except to get some good claw clips- they are my go to's for updos because of the annoying layers.

basketcase413
October 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I don't have your layers, but I too am somewhat disappointed in my hair length right now. It is about 1" past BSL, and I am very limited in what I can do with it. It is slippery as all get out, so that adds to the difficulty. I can't do things I used to do at APL and a little longer....too much hair....but I can't get most updo's to work yet either. I'm stuck in a rut with a lazy wrap bun....can't even get an infinity or figure 8 to work yet! I'm just hanging in there and hoping that waist will give me more variety. I should be there by summer if not before....I'm tall AND long waisted so it's almost 6" for me between BSL and waist!!!

I'm beginning to think I suffer from the "grass is always greener" syndrome! LOL

LaurenH
October 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I really thought when I got to BSL, my icky stages would be over. I am just past, and I HATE IT!!!!!!!!! I do have layers, haven't had them cut in almost a year... did have a micro trim on the ends...... my shortest layer (except for my bangs) is about shoulder length...... I can't seem to make pretty updos (due to layers?) and I hate it down......
Has anyone else experienced this??? If I grow another couple inches (power thru), will I be better???

Oh you're not alone! I'm really close to hitting BSL, and I've been feeling the same way... I don't like the way it looks down anymore (I don't really wear it down often anyway due to my job); now that I've stopped straightening my layers to curl them under, they just look weird air-dried. :p I can't do many up-do's because of my layers, and my braid looks so messy because of my layers... lol I cannot WAIT until these pesky things are grown out! :rolleyes: My shortest layers are between chin and shoulder now. Blah. :p

Syaoransbear
October 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Let's make a pact...... no cutting until until Jan 1.... we can do ANYTHING for 90 days...... then re-evaluate....... If we feel like cutting, we will have an intervention for each other..... :)
Okay! :D Is S&D allowed?

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
heehee... yeah s&d and micro trims are okay......
What are the rest of the pact rules????? :)
If we feel the need to cut, we step away from the :scissors: and log onto LHC.....

Thanks for the support, I am glad to know it is not just me....
I did the wet braid thing today, even w/ the bobby pins some pesky layers crept out. If I could do a decent french braid, It should work.... but really, another inch and this will work too....
anything for 90 days. Right????? :p

julliams
October 7th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Try doing some different styles like pin curls. There is a great youtube video on doing these and they are really fun. They get big cursl into your hair and let you play around with this particular length
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57l_AjspIq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QmIQlK-HYA&feature=fvw

I had about a week of fun with these. Some great results and some crappy.

Juliette

http://s2.largeimagehost.com/HL/XerecQX/hairoctober20092.jpg (http://www.largeimagehost.com)

inertia
October 7th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Try to power through! You're getting so close to WL. And the layers aren't going to be annoying for too much longer. It looks like you should be able to do a French twist -- if not right this minute, then in a month or two. Really soon.

In the meantime, you should be able to do some half-up styles to add variety. And you can still get big waves without heat by letting your hair dry in foam rollers or rag curlers. That would make your layers look great!

GoddesJourney
October 7th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Layers really screw you with almost any updo style. I had a major layer problem too and I just decided to maintain BSL until it was gone. It's still long but it's manageable and you will find that it's more and more manageable as those layers disappear.

atlantaz3
October 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I'm somewhere around 24 inches with one layer above. Silly me wanted layers and tried have just a few layers cut in the last few inches. It didn't really show up (my hair is thick) and when the layers did show they just looked frizzed out! Last haircut/trim took out the bottom layer. I know exactly how you feel I had thought the icky lenghts would be gone by now. I really can't do a french twist anymore because I end up looking like I have an ostrich egg on the back of my head, my hair is either to short for log rolls or braided styles or too thick for some of the other styles. My bun is trying to turn into a bee butt and I really don't like that - so I was also thinking about cutting off a couple of inches. The hubby reminded me I like my long hair and this phase to will pass. But for me I really don't think it's going to get much longer. All I can say is find a new hair toy that works and work with what you have. Layers should equal cute messy updos!

karli
October 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
When my shortest layers were at sl, I usually made two buns on top of my head and added a comb back so I wouldn`t have a part.

BSL has always been difficult for me. Somewhere around it styles get more difficult, ends get crunchy and my hair frisses a lot. I have always cut it then, believing the damage was irrepairable. For the first time in my life I have actually reached waist, still with layers but the ends are soft and a lot of different buns works.

Bunnyhare
October 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I am there too, past BSL but layers still make braids really unattractive and full buns almost impossbile without lots of off shoots....but i try to do short layers up, then longer layers around them to make it cohesive..hang in there!u-shaped pins help me alot!