PDA

View Full Version : I never wear it down!

gibsongirl71
October 5th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I have found that I don't like to wear my hair down. Rarely I will do a half up and half down. My hair is fairly thick and tends to grow in the dreaded triangle shape :wail:. I think because it is at such a odd length it stops me from wearing it down. I am really looking forward to getting more length and doing fancier styles with braids and such. My husband jokes that I don't like my hair touchin me.:D I just need to power thru this rough patch!

friskybiznus
October 5th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I love, love my long hair, but I mostly wear it up, too. One reason is because it is soooo hot and humid here in Houston. My hair tends to stick to me! :D I'll wear it in high ponytails and braids, mostly. I can do a simple bun, but I mostly suck at updos....:D

friskybiznus
October 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
ugh. how many times can a person say the word "mostly" in a post?? LOL!!

Longlocks3
October 5th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I used to ALWAYS wear my hair down. Then when I joined LHC I started wearing my hair up ALL THE TIME. After a couple months I 'tried' wearing it down for half a day and it didn't work out. But think of the bright side, wear it up is protective! Yeah for less damage.

gibsongirl71
October 5th, 2009, 07:20 PM
ugh. how many times can a person say the word "mostly" in a post?? LOL!!

never too many times!!

jasper
October 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I think my hair got too long to be down during the last year when I started wearing it up all the time.

xgwyllgix
October 5th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I rarely wear my hair down; the few times I do, it's usually for a social occasion. Not only is it easier to just throw it up into a bun, but it means I don't sit on it, shut it in doors, catch it on my chair, &c. Even braids can be an inconvenience, without even worrying about the amount of time they take to do.

When I want my hair down but not, I tend to tie my hair in a knot and hold it with my hairsticks. The length of it is still loose, but it's only to my waist so it doesn't catch on as many things and it gets more of a "Marcia Brady" swing going on.

Charlotte
October 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I never EVER wore my hair up before joining LHC. I just couldn't figure out how to do pretty updo's and thought I would look too severe. I used to hate the summer months with the accompanying humidity. Now after learning so much here about how to do simple and pretty buns, I hardly ever wear it down! Roll on summer! :D

Tinose
October 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I actually chopped my hair off to shoulder-length, and then realized "Oh! I don't just hate to wear it out because it's too long, but because loose hair annoys me." :rolleyes: Having my hair up is so much more comfortable it's amazing.

lookingglass
October 5th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I feel like a wild cavewoman with my hair totally down unless it's straightened (which happens only a few times a year) or at least pinned back on the sides. I'm also afraid of lice...

forgetmenotak
October 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm someone that rarely wears my hair up, and I'm not planning on growing it that long (waist.) The reason I wanted to grow long hair is so I can wear it down, and it defeats the purpose of long hair for me. The only time that I wear it up is in the summer when it is hot and humid. Though I know I really should wear it up more.

Tressie
October 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I know exactly how you feel! I used to wear my hair down most of the time when I would go out and wear it in a high pony at home. Since I found LHC, I wear my hair in an updo about 99% of the time!

I figure, it's safe, and it's out of the way!! (o:

Shermie Girl
October 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I like to wear my hair up. I always have. As soon as it is long enough to put up in any way, it goes up and stays that way 99% of the time. :D

gibsongirl71
October 5th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Yes I am afraid I will continue to wear it up the longer it gets. Also wearing it up makes it kind of private. Like just for me and DH to enjoy when it's down.:waltz:

BunnyBee
October 5th, 2009, 09:49 PM
My hair is up most of the time too. It's kind of impractical to wear it down when it tangles from just looking at it :rolleyes: I think when it's less damaged i'll wear it down more because I won't be so worried about it breaking easily.

tja
October 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM
When I had shoulder length hair I was always wearing them up in a bun so I got bored and cut them off because I thought that anyway I wasn't showing them off :p I am planning now to go past that length and keep them down...at least sometimes!! :)

Little_Bird
October 6th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Hmm... probably very few people around here with hair longer than... say bsl? Wear their hair down regularly? I'm not sure, but I know I never wore mine loose regularly after the 30th month perhaps. I've worn my hair in a braid everyday for the past 3 years... You know it's sometimes a bore yes, but the few days when I wear it loose pay off damn well!!!

But yeah, if your hair has those triangle properties (mine had them too), you can wait a little longer and it will be pushed down really... Just make sure to hang in there! It will look awesome :flower:

elianne
October 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I rarely wear my hair down, too. I get annoyed feeling it all day, plus I like that buns and braids keep it better protected and stay neat-looking at the end of the day. Lately my favorite hair style has been coronet style braids.

Of course, wearing your hair up all the time also means you get to buy lots of awesome hair toys :cool:

Sheltie_Momma
October 6th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I wear mine down a lot, I think because I am still (forever) waiting for enough length to do more things (I am about 3 inches above waist) but it is thick so doesn't get enough coils to do figure 8's, or eternity buns or nautilus buns. I can do braided buns, and cinn. buns and rose buns but only on wash day when I can put it up wet and force it to do my bidding! I really want to wear it up more, I also think I might get bangs and then wear it up more but still have a little something going on around my face. Ramble Ramble

spidermom
October 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I like to wear my hair down for special occasions, like an LHC meet. The length is kind of a pain because it drifts around and gets into things like a naughty toddler.

charlyee
October 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I like to wear my hair dowm. One of the reasons I got my hair cut off last year (from beyond tailbone to just below my ears), is that I felt that I had to wear it up always. This time around, I am probably going to keep the length somewhere between BSL and waist and wear it down unless in a harmful situation or on hot and sticky days.

HairColoredHair
October 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I used to wear my hair down 99.9999% of the time. This was when my hair was between BSL and tailbone. This was also when I didn't take care of my hair at all it and it was pretty crispy fried. (mostly by lack of moisture... never used heat even then...)

Found LHC... started wearing my hair up. Now it has to be a special occasion for me to wear it down and I still prefer to do a nice updo or something special like a crown braid rather than have it down. It gets in my way... I guess I've forgotten all the little movements that got it out of my way before, or I just notice it more since it's strange to me now. But my hair's at knee now and in much better condition!

Curlsgirl
October 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I go through phases when I wear it up most of the time and then down all of the time. Lately I have been wearing it down to enjoy the cooler Fall weather since I wore it up due to the humidity all summer. I love it down and wild even at work. :p

Also I do get headaches more and more as it gets longer from updo pulling. Today I had it up and realized very quickly it was a "sensitive scalp kind of day" and took it down and left it.

Of course I wear it up and contained when out in the wind or elements.

AJoifulNoise
October 6th, 2009, 09:00 AM
My husband jokes that I don't like my hair touchin me.:D I just need to power thru this rough patch!

I actually have that problem sometimes. I have been quoted saying "It's TOUCHING ME!" :lol: Then it's time to secure it and move on.

But, back to what you really mean: I think I got from BSL to waist twice by wearing it up pretty much constantly. Once I got past waist I started wearing it down once a week, which is what I do now.

Aunteater
October 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Used to wear it down all the time. Since I signed up at LHC: hardly ever. DH likes when I wear it down, and has a tendency to get it all snarled up. So I figure maybe I'll make up for it by being super-protective about it the rest of the time. I've had to adjust my car mirrors to account for the bun, now that there always is one!

maegquare
October 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I rarely wear mine down, either, for most of the same reasons as what you said. Also, it's very windy here most of the time, and it would be tangled constantly, or getting itself into trouble. Even indoors, it tends to grab things, like door latches or unsuspecting people. ;)

marikamt
October 6th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I am actually at an "icky stage".... I think it is due to layers...... I am not quite able to wear it in pretty updos or braids, but I HATE it down right now........ I have been wearing it in a goofy scrunchy bun wannabe........ I am trying to power thru the next month or two....
I hate being in between.....

Rivanariko
October 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM
I'm another person who used to wear their hair down most of the time before I found LHC. Once I realized that it wasn't growing because it was breaking from how much it tangled constantly, I swore off loose hair and have worn it down maybe two or three times since. I still like the feeling of loose hair on my back, and DBF loves my hair long and loose (but he's in the air force, so he's not around too often to give me sad looks when I'm putting it up!), so I'll leave it loose just around the house, but if I'm going outside into the wind and elements, up it goes!

nmarie33
October 6th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Once I found LHC I started wearing mine up more and more. Now I have it up almost 100% of the time while at work, and very often in at least in braids on the weekends but I have to say, the first thing I do when I get home from the office is take out my hairdo and rub my head...who cares if my boyfriend thinks I look like a jungle woman. It just feels so good to take out your updo. FREEDOM!

I have gotten to the point where I feel really self-conscious if I have my hair down at work. Like I forgot to put clothes on or something. Weird, huh?

embee
October 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM
(snip) "Oh! I don't just hate to wear it out because it's too long, but because loose hair annoys me." :rolleyes: Having my hair up is so much more comfortable it's amazing.

I'm with you here! Plus my hair doesn't look very nice down... straight, thin, ordinary color, stringy... and it doesn't flatter my face at all, alas. The sleek smoothed back updo is my friend! :)

dame-dancealot
October 6th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I have gotten to the point where I feel really self-conscious if I have my hair down at work. Like I forgot to put clothes on or something. Weird, huh?

It does feel like I forgot something really important!

I started growing my hair because I couldn't keep shorter hair out of my face, and wanted to keep it up.

RedJen
October 6th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I haven't worn mine down since high school! (It was shorter than BSL at the time.) I joined the AF at 18 and got out at 23, and ever since then, it has just not felt right to have it down!

My hair is the sort that separates and tangles when it's down, so I would have to comb it every half hour to keep it looking nice.

jojo
October 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM
It depends on the season for me, in summer it has to go up and winter I like it down (at least when traveling to work on the train!) to keep me warm, but I do wear it up for work.

Amara
October 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I can't remember the last time I wore my hair completely down. Sometimes I'll do a half up - for a special occasion. But normally it's up up up! Hardly ever down in a braid, even. It gets sweaty (I teach dance classes daily) and in the way!

Kotora
October 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I work in space shuttle operations, and I can't wear anything in my hair that could come out or poke holes - so no sticks or pins. I can use barettes, but I mostly braid it when I'm in the processing area. Otherwise, it's down. I would like to wear it up more, though, since it's at waist length now and can get in the way. But I haven't found any updos that don't required sticks and pins.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

RedJen
October 6th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I work in space shuttle operations, and I can't wear anything in my hair that could come out or poke holes - so no sticks or pins. I can use barettes, but I mostly braid it when I'm in the processing area. Otherwise, it's down. I would like to wear it up more, though, since it's at waist length now and can get in the way. But I haven't found any updos that don't required sticks and pins.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Is your hair "sticky?" If so, you might be able to wrap it in a bun around a hairtoy (a barrette in your case) or you can do an inside out bun, where you make a bun, then push it through the top loop. I hope that makes sense!

Tinose
October 7th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Any suggestions? Thanks.
It's fairly easy to do a simple cinnabun (or a braided one or whatever simple variation you might like) with an elastic. I imagine you could do some more complicated ones, but it would depend on what they are.

Also, you might try a Zannclip. (Search the boards or google.) They're probably barrette enough to pass and they seem like they'd serve as a ficcare equivalent. I have one ordered but haven't gotten it yet.

RedJen
October 7th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Ooh! If you can wear Ficcares, that opens up a whole new world. Is that possible? My go-to daily hairstyle is a Figure-8 clipped with a Ficcare. Today, I did a simple rope bun clipped with a Ficcare.

ravenreed
October 7th, 2009, 01:51 AM
I still wear my hair down more often than not. I look frumpy in buns, and they make my round face look rounder. Ponies tend to make a nasty knot in my hair right at the neck where the hair hits my shirt, and braids pull at me. Plus, I really don't think it is worth having long hair if I can't enjoy it down. So when it gets too much of a hassle down, that is the length I will stop at. I am almost at tailbone and can tolerate it, so I am happy.

Fethenwen
October 7th, 2009, 03:52 AM
For the last at least 4 years I've almost always worn it up, or at least in a half-up. I somehow thought I looked like a witch with my nose sticking out from all the hair, or that my chin was more pronounced when I wore it down :rolleyes:
I don't know from where that illusion came, probably from a photo. It's kinda sad actually. I still sometimes feel I look more fresh and that my cheekbones and eyes show better with my hair up, which is true on some days.

So thats why I cut it short, "what's the use of having long hair if I don't enjoy it?" But as soon as it grew a little bit, it was up in a tiny ponytail again :wail:

But now these last months my hair is becoming long again, and I see my face in a different light. I find myself looking so much more feminine with long hair, and it softens my features. The longer it gets now, the more I wear it down. And the fantastic condition it has now that I'm a LHC:er gives me another reason to really show it off + that my boyfriend can't stop petting it and telling me I'm pretty :p

I feel I start enjoy it as much as I did when I was younger (13:een something), and had longer that BSL hair. Those days I always wore it down, I didn't even know how to make a ponytail.

So thanks LHC :flower:

Monsterkitti
October 7th, 2009, 04:28 AM
I wear my hair up maybe 90% of the time since joining LHC. It used to be down all the time but in an attempt to protect it I started wearing it up, now it feels wierd if its not up :D

Mishan
October 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I have a job that requires a hat so I mostly keep my hair hair up. Add to that extremely curly hair that not only attracts every piece of lint within a ten foot radius, but also will tangle the first time it touches anything and it is just far more enjoyable to put it up.

Topaz
October 7th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I wear my hair down all the time at home, except when I'm cooking or doing heavy housecleaning. But down and loose is the norm at home. I also wear it down and loose most of the time at work (I have an office job). But whenever I go outside, from home to work and back again, or out-and-about shopping, it is in a braided bun to protect it from the wind and the high Texas humidity. It is a compromise which my hair seems happy with, and making her happy is NOT easy!

Schefflera
October 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I haven't worn mine loose on a regular basis for a long time, but it was just ponytails until a few years ago. Then I started trying to learn to do a French twist, partly because I wanted to buy a really pretty French twist comb but didn't want to spend that much if I wasn't sure I could use it properly. (Then it got discontinued. Yeah, I have great timing.) More recently, I finally learned how to secure a bun, and now that's kind of my default.

I still wear it loose at night, though. Go figure. *thoughtful* And I think I might take it down now because I'm cold.

Aunteater
October 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Funny to see the "Why have long hair if you can't show it off" sentiment cropping up everywhere. One of the major reasons I started growing my hair out to begin with was so I could finally put it up and get it out of my face! My mom always kept me in chin-length bobs and bangs when I was a kid. I hated it. Granted, once I did grow it out, I got lazy about putting it up... until LHC, which has made my buns a lot better looking! (that doesn't sound quite right...)

Kotora
October 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Ooh! If you can wear Ficcares, that opens up a whole new world. Is that possible? My go-to daily hairstyle is a Figure-8 clipped with a Ficcare. Today, I did a simple rope bun clipped with a Ficcare.

I don't know anything about Ficcares - what they are or how to use them. I need something really secure.

I did check out the Zannclips - and they all have much shorter hair than I do and, I hate to say it, but I thought they looked really messy. I prefer a more professional, tailored look when I do an updo. Which I almost never do since nothing will hold my thick hair except a million pins.

Oh, well........I guess it's Heidi braids for me for now!

eyesofsummer
October 7th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I've been wearing mine up most days for the past 8 weeks or so...since I moved back to school. It's so humid down here, and still really hot (87 degrees today!) that I really don't want my hair to add any insulation. lol. I like that I can really stretch out wash days by wearing my hair up so much. I usually do a cinnabun, stab it with one stick, and go. Sometimes I add a hair scarf for a change (and to hide some frizzies!)

juliaxena
October 8th, 2009, 12:07 AM
If I had long hair I'd wear it down at least after wash. What's the point of having long hair if I can't show it.

Aditi
October 8th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I have never wore my hair completely down always keep it in ponytail or half-up as i fear that i will look like a cavewoman or something if my layers didn't behave or it will get tangled due to wind and such. I know this is a phobia but just don't know how to overcome it, i would really like to keep my hair down just for once.

Arniky
October 8th, 2009, 01:56 AM
you have nice hair & can wear it down occasionally if comfortable

dukkelisa
October 8th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I HATE my hair down! Especially in public where it can get caught in things, and it slides all over when I bend over, I hate that! lol I try to let it partially dry after washing, and that is about all I can stand. Even a braid down my back feels weird. I like my hair up and out of the way. If I did not have long hair, I would have a nearly shaved head. I never could do the wispy hair around my face thing. lol

kdaniels8811
October 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
have been wearing my hair up for over a year now, a bun with a stick or fork is my standard style. I do take it down on weekends for my SO, he likes to see it down so when we are home, it is down. It is to the point friends ask me to take it down so they can see how long it is getting because I never wear it down any more. I really like wearing it up and it is SO easy to care for. Besides, I have WAY too many hair toys and need to use them - smile!

chesapeake
October 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I teach yoga and dance, so my hair is almost always up - then factor in a very grabby little 5 month old...I just wish I was better at creative updos. I can't stand the feeling of having my hair tickling and sticking to my face in the hot Virginia humidity. I try to wear it down a bit more in the cooler months.

Nicole.Amina
October 10th, 2009, 04:05 AM
I can't bring myself to wear my hair up. I'm utterly self-conscious when my hair's up and the only thing I know how to do is a simple braid and a simple bun. That and I love showing off my curls lol. The most I can go with my hair up is about a week.

BeatlesFanGirl
October 10th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I wear my hair down almost all of the time! :) I put it up to a high pony-tail when I a.) do sports b.) have a shower c.) my hair is getting dirty (I wash hair every 5th day, and wear it up on the 4th and 5th)