PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Ray...did anyone watch?

katiana
October 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Today I was at the gym and they had one of those make-overs I guess she usually has and this time is was a woman with really long pretty hair ( aye! ) I got irritated when they said they were going to give her a new do and that she has had the length for ( gasp ) 30 years without a cut. I had to go so I missed..did anyone see? I am curious.

Gypsy
October 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Here's the clip- I am watching while I am typing this and I will say I don't like the way the segment starts out with the loooong cutting of woman's hair in the dude from Queer Eye's hands, lol!

Hmm. I must have a distorted vision because they say it makes her look younger, but I think it just makes her look like an updated grandma following some rules rather than a woman who dances to her own drum.

Longlocks3
October 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hmm. I must have a distorted vision because they say it makes her look younger, but I think it just makes her look like an updated grandma following some rules rather than a woman who dances to her own drum.

Ditto. I liked her with long hair. I really am not convinced her and her husband 'loved' the hair cut. It's tv, who would say "I hate it!".

Gladtobemom
October 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM
She's joined the "helmet head almost grandma" crowd.

I would love to have seen her hair in a braid, a coronet, or an updo before they whacked it off.

Sad.

Not sad if she really wanted it cut, but sad that they seem to want to propogate the stereotype.

LittleOrca
October 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
It's tv, who would say "I hate it!".

If it was my hair I would have. I'd give them all hell on camera, but it's not my hair and if she is happy... good for her, even though I do think she looks older and more like a grandmother now as well.

Carolyn
October 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I can't feel too sorry for her because it didn't appear she was surprised with an ambush make over or talked into anything. As usual the before shot was an unattractive "Cousin It" shot. I seriously doubt she ever went around with her hair spread out all over the place like they showed it. It looked nice when it was back in a ponytail before it was cut. It looked like she had some hideous short bangs to start with.

I was creeped out and appalled by how Rachel and the stylist played with her cut off ponytail and made fun of her. That was mean and nasty. Rachel was just rude when she was petting the ponytail.

I got the impression that hubby was just going along with it. They commented she looked 30 with the new cut. WTH? Who are they kidding? She still had the same features as before. I hope she likes it and it grows fast. They cut it so short she doesn't have many styling options. I'm not stupid enough to go on a makeover show but I'd be pissed as hell if I came out looking like that.

Carolyn
October 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
It's tv, who would say "I hate it!".Actually I saw a makeover show where someone said she hated it. I think it was a Jenny Jones Show a long long time ago. She said she hated the clothes and the new hair cut and commented that at least she could take the clothes off and hoped her hair would grow fast. Cut to commercial :rolleyes:

friskybiznus
October 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
oooooooohhhhhh man. That was painful. I'm not convinced hubby was down with it either. They said she wanted it, so, OK, I guess. But, yeah, that have her looking like grandma. Some different updos would've been good. (((sigh))

friskybiznus
October 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I was creeped out and appalled by how Rachel and the stylist played with her cut off ponytail and made fun of her. That was mean and nasty. Rachel was just rude when she was petting the ponytail.

I know. I was offended by that.

RancheroTheBee
October 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Actually I saw a makeover show where someone said she hated it. I think it was a Jenny Jones Show a long long time ago. She said she hated the clothes and the new hair cut and commented that at least she could take the clothes off and hoped her hair would grow fast. Cut to commercial :rolleyes:

Bahaha! Well, good for her for expressing her distaste. If I got a cut I hated, I'd say so.

Then again, I disagree with makeover shows on principle. I think they give this impression that beneath every woman is a glamorous pixie begging to be let free, and that's ridiculous. At the moment, my hair is excessively natural and I'm actually wearing a plaid shirt. I like to dress up sometimes, but to be expected to look perfect all the time is exhausting, and I sometimes feel like people are considering nominating me for What Not to Wear.

lynlora
October 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM
To my eyes she looked much older and her face looked "fatter".

Allen
October 5th, 2009, 05:15 PM
These TV makeovers are akin to rubber necking an automobile accident on the highway. The before shots are always setups to make the victim look disheveled and unkempt. Its only about ratings and keeping viewers glued to the screen to see the aftermath.

Just another helmet head.

cakedcake
October 5th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I've never watched Rachael Ray IN MY LIFE, and the way she kept her mouth exaggeratedly agape in that video freaked me out more than hair or anything else.

Fractalsofhair
October 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Well, she did say her hair is a hazard for biking. That's a sign she doesn't know about updos and such! That's not really good.

Her new hair cut is probably easier for her. I personally think her long hair is lovely, and her waves are to die for, but if you don't know to put your hair in a bun if it's getting in the way... Short hair is for you. Admittedly, I put my hair in a bun when it hits about aplish and I can, since otherwise it gets caught in my backpack and such. She looks older with her new hair cut though, it makes her look matronly. With her hair pulled back, she looks younger. With it all spread out, it looks kinda... Awkward. Not old, but it wasn't the most flattering way to display hair.

Luzee
October 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Ugh. :dizzy: I don't usually mind makeovers too much, even when they cut hair. Sometimes I agree that they look younger, often better, but I didn't like this one at all. I think they made her look older. If they were going to chop it, I think a shoulder-length cut would have looked much better than that hack job. :no:

bushytailed
October 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
I don't like the new cut. It was too short and not nearly long enough for her. It's too short and definitely makes her look older.

lora410
October 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I actually think she looks better and younger with shorter hair :shrug: it said that she wanted it cut and a wash and go style.

windinherhair
October 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM
That stinks... I can't get it to play. I have refreshed the page 3 times now and it loads but then it won't play. I can see the image of the woman sitting in the chair with her long hair over her back. From people's description I can imagine how short she got it cut. Oh no, not the "grandma" look! She could at least have had a little trim after not cutting it for so many years, but no need to cut that much off.

apynip
October 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
all i had to say was "omg... my mum has her exact hair cut...and her hair dresser. and the lady across the street. OH! and dont forget about teh mail lady..."

I will admit she needed a trim. but NOT a hair cut... i hope she truely likes it though and wasnt just putting up a front...

Stubborn
October 5th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I liked the longhair better...

If they cut it to APL it would have been better... in my opinion.

gibsongirl71
October 5th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Her long hair was lovely. I always wanted long flaxen hair....I didn't care for her bangs though, very 80s. The new cut doesn't know what it wants to be. A bob? A shag?A blah?! They should have left it past her shoulders with nice layers so she could still clip it up. She looks the same age to me that she looked with her long hair. No diff.

catysue
October 5th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I think the new cut is certainly much more modern, and I actually like it better than her long hair because her bangs were just awful and her ends were quite scraggly. However her long hair was beautifully shiny.

And of course with makeover shows, for the 'after' they always put them in nice clothes and makeup so OF COURSE they look better.

Sokudo Ningyou
October 5th, 2009, 07:12 PM
The fact anyone watched her is amazing, frankly. And I'm surprised she'd get a shorter cut; she really wants to call attention to her steadily rounding jowls? The only plus I can think of it keeping it out of her way when cooking.

berr
October 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I think Rach should stick to cooking. I like watching her cook. That's the only time I've seen her talk show. Not impressed.

forgetmenotak
October 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I thoght her hair is very pretty, such a pretty shade, I would pay for that color! I didn't care for the style that they cut her hair into but I do prefer her with shorter hair.
I also had a reaction to when Rachael Ray said "thirty years" and when she had a gaping mouth, well, all I'm going to say is that she could have been more tactful.

Sister13
October 5th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I was disappointed by the tone of Rachel and the haircut guy. Like no praise for having put the time and effort into caring for long hair. Just saying it was so many years of no haircut and how out-of-it her hair is. Was the haircut victim bleached? Cuz I totally expected them to give the hair to Locks of Love or something like that.

The haircut victim and her husband seemed happy to be on the show and get the free trip. But the linebacker haircut had no sexiness -- just a layered chop that didn't balance her features or her body.

Like we say Down South, big hair makes the waist (and derriere) look smaller.

:monkey:

nayver
October 6th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Where can I find a link to the video?

Chrissy
October 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Where can I find a link to the video?

I was wondering the same thing. I guess either go to RachelRay.com or Hulu.com.
I'm guessing of course.

Chrissy
October 6th, 2009, 05:02 AM
ok It's RachelRayshow.com
Going to check it out now.

Chrissy
October 6th, 2009, 05:10 AM
OK here's my take on it. I agree that when it was long it was nice but the bangs terrible!! I also think that if they just gave her a trim and fixed those bangs it would have been lovely. Maybe a pretty braid or updo. Ok now the short hair I don't hate it. I think it's cute but I also think she looks a lot like Alice Ghostly from Bewitched. Anyone remember her?

She played one of Samantha's relatives. Another witch. I don't know how to link pics or I'd put it up here.

She seems to have very nice hair. I wish she would have kept it long but as always it's her hair to do with as she wishes.

Fethenwen
October 6th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Ouuh, that long hair didn't suit her at all. Most of it looked so dry and tangly and as other have said, I also think her bangs were terrible.

But that short hair do was not that much better either. *sigh*

Cutting it to shoulder or APL would have been a good solution I think.

ademtce
October 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM
To my eyes she looked much older and her face looked "fatter".

my thoughts exactly

Carolyn
October 6th, 2009, 09:03 AM
They didn't do much with make up or clothes for her. That purple ruffled thing made her look even bigger on top. She has squinty eyes and a big nose and artful make up could have opened up her eyes and de-emphasized the size of her nose. The new style did nothing for that.

My opinion of RR went way down after seeing this. I'm still cringing at RR and the stylist's treatment of her ponytail. I would expect such behavior from him but I didn't from her. I can't get that out of my mind.

Eskarine
October 6th, 2009, 12:38 PM
The thing about makeovers like this that baffles me is the insistence that short hair equals "wash'n'go". I've had hair from pixie length through to long, and there's no question (in my case) that shorter hair requires more styling time. I'd be surprised if that woman's short new 'do doesn't require careful blowdrying after every wash.

St.Germain
October 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM
That was ghastly to watch. I think maybe a shoulder length bob would have worked better for her, and would still be "wash and go".

Also, you could fit a soda can in Rachel Ray's mouth. I love her cooking show, but I really wanted to smack her just for that look.

rhubarbarin
October 6th, 2009, 01:24 PM
The thing about makeovers like this that baffles me is the insistence that short hair equals "wash'n'go". I've had hair from pixie length through to long, and there's no question (in my case) that shorter hair requires more styling time. I'd be surprised if that woman's short new 'do doesn't require careful blowdrying after every wash.

This was my experience too. I would have loved to have short hair I could have just washed and run out of the house with.. but no. It took me a 1/2 hour of fiddling every morning to make it look decent. And, if I ever rested my head on anything, terrible bedhead that required more fiddling. I hated it. My hair is easier the longer it is (but of course, it doesn't tangle).

I know a lot of people do find short styles very quick and easy. It depends on your hair, the cut, and what you want it to look like I guess

pdy2kn6
October 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Does anyone know the clip link for it? I couldn't find it on here?? I'm very intrigued!!!

eyesofsummer
October 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I saw it. I was at the gym and they have a wall of tv's and it was on one of them. I would have changed the channel if I could have. I was finished before the 'after' part of the show, so I don't know what her final hair looked like, but her 'before' color and texture were beautiful. Very sad that she cut it all off :(

curlytiff27
October 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Actually I saw a makeover show where someone said she hated it. I think it was a Jenny Jones Show a long long time ago. She said she hated the clothes and the new hair cut and commented that at least she could take the clothes off and hoped her hair would grow fast. Cut to commercial :rolleyes:

I missed this Rachel Ray but I must say, I have a hard time watching these shows where they do this. If the person is ok with having her hard earned length whacked, fine. BUT, if anyone has ever watched What Not To Wear, that darned Nick guy on there is forever cutting someones hair. There were two I watched that they had the women in tears. One was a lady from TX who he changed her color and length. They showed her after, she went home and got her highlights put back in and also had extensions added. I felt so bad for her. The other lady came back the next day and had more highlights added. I believe she did hate it. She was almost waist length and went to just below ear. I cried for her. I think I would have smacked someone for doing that to me. They are always put under pressue (in my opinion) by him on that show. I barely watch it anymore because of that.

However, the last time I did watch it they had a new stylist on there who did not cut this girls hair. She had beautiful long hair and was crying thinking he was going to cut it all off. He told her point blank, that he didnt need to cut off her hair to make her beautiful. He just shaped it up a bit and added a pretty strawberry blonde to it. That was a great episode! :-)

Schmoomunitions
October 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I cant find it? Does anyone know her name or anything?

Schmoomunitions
October 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM
http://www.rachelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/i-havent-cut-my-hair-high-school/

Here is the link

shadowclaw
October 6th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hmmm, my mom got that hair cut a few times. Now she's letting it get a bit longer, mostly because she's afraid of what the hairdresser will do to her next. Most of the hair cuts she gets are horrible, super-short cuts that she doesn't ask for. Once she even cried when she came out of the salon. But getting back to the Rachel ray clip....

Her hair looked so shiny when it was long... all it needed was a a trim. I think she would have looked nice with BSL hair, and maybe some long bangs or something. The new cut is nice, but I don't think it makes her look younger. Just different. Like maybe more "hip" or something :p But yeah, she definitely conforms to the late-40s, early 50s short style that seems prevalent.

nayver
October 7th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Well, I don't understand why the "Five Basic Haircuts You Need to Know" are all almost short hair? and I'd like to know what would Rachel thought if someone cuts her hair off that way?

GlassEyes
October 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Wow. I wonder how much she's had to stuff in her mouth to get her jaw to unhinge like that? o-o;; That alone is an impressive feat. o-O;;

Meh. I dunno. I don't think her hair was rather 'ratty' before, just fairytaling, and the cut after is pretty odd--though not terrible, but not great either. :shrug: Her hair--she wasn't ambushed or anything, so if she likes it, that's all that matters.

Medievalmaniac
October 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
ummm....ewww. I think her haircut is truly heinous. I mean, it is really ugly. She should sue! It's so squared-off and piece-y and not in a good way, either. I don't think it suits her face shape at all, and it makes her look dowdy and middle aged. NOT cute. Poor woman!! :(

Shastrix
October 7th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Eep! that haircut at the end looked awful :bigeyes:

I was in Cuba recently and they had some American TV channels in the hotels. Are all the chat show presenters so... over-expressive? She looks as if she is on stage with all those wild hand gestures and exaggerated facial expressions. That three minute clip was enough to make me cringe... :confused:

Leena7
October 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM
She seemed like she likes it and if she likes it and she wanted a change. I don't blame the show people. I mean, it sort of bothers me that some people can't love both long and short hair, maybe this is because I loved having really short hair and I love the look of a pixie cut. I feel like life is about variety. This doesn't mean I think everyone should constantly be changing their hair style, but I think that they should be free to do that if they want. I love so many different looks that I have experimented a lot in order to try many out. Now I am going to grow out my hair because it is new for me. Short hair is new for that woman. Short haired people should not be militantly against long hair and I don't think that long haired people should be against short hair. Hair is fun and pretty, but in the end, it is only hair. We are free to do what we want to it.

Also, it bothers me when people assume that men automatically hate short(er) hair. Many men say they do, but I don't think it is a make or break thing with a lot of them. I wouldn't change my clothing style to please a man, nor would I change my hair. Sorry to rant, I just felt the need to express my opinion.

JCFantasy23
October 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Well finally watched.

Trying to decide.

Okay, to me her long hair was too long for her and did make her look a little frumpy, if that's the word I should use. It wasn't that flattering with her. The new cut is too short for her I think, but cute in a way - I dread to think of how it would look trying to get it to grow out at all, though, she'd have a heck of a time.

I think something settled on in between may have been a good idea. I didn't see the ends much so not sure on the body, I just think it was too weighed down with the hair type, how she wore it, and perhaps just how they styled it that day. ?

Islandgrrl
October 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I've never watched Rachael Ray IN MY LIFE, and the way she kept her mouth exaggeratedly agape in that video freaked me out more than hair or anything else.

Yeah, that was freakish, wasn't it? And really kinda creepy.

I think the thing that freaked me out the most is that the woman, Julie, is the same age as me. I thought she was at least 10 years older before the cut and even older looking than that after. I find myself wondering how old I actually look. Could I possibly look that old? shudder:

She said she loved the cut, and hey, maybe it's true. Maybe she was just ready for a change. She can always grow it back.

maegquare
October 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
..My opinion of RR went way down after seeing this. I'm still cringing at RR and the stylist's treatment of her ponytail....

My thoughts exactly.

Medievalmaniac
October 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I'm not anti-short hair, I have had short hair for much of my adult life. I think a lot of short hairstyles are really cute, actually. But I do think the cut they gave her was frumpish and did nothing for her. Maybe she did like it - but her smile didn't look it, it looked like she wasn't sure and was going to make the best of it because-well, there are a lot of people watching. Also, her face looked like my face does post-crying...maybe she always has that flush, or maybe it was hot, or maybe there are fifty good reasons for it, but it seemed to me like she wasn't necessarily thrilled with it.

Linda K
October 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Interesting to watch, interesting to read all the responses to it here!

I wish they would quit making people look their worst in those before pics. I couldn't tell what was really going on w/ the bangs. It looked more like a "wet" hand was 'swept' thru from front to back and that's sort of where they stayed - while fluffing the length forward to the front. The bangs actually looked longer in the after pic. I think it was Goldie over on Going Gray Looking Great that said they are told to put on some 'crap' for the before pic - for the drama ...

Ok, if hair is getting in the way of cooking, biking & passing thru doors, I suspect she was just getting tired of caring for it.
Just my :twocents:

GlennaGirl
October 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Also, you could fit a soda can in Rachel Ray's mouth. I love her cooking show, but I really wanted to smack her just for that look.

Me too. I mean the woman got a haircut, big deal. She didn't come out with a third leg or a different color or something. The hair is...much shorter. And? That's freak-out worthy? It's not like it was a surprise that her hair was going to be cut since that's what RR mentioned before the woman even walked onstage with her new look.

redpepper
October 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I did not like the cut, did not like it long. It looked like she needed something.....maybe come on tlhc and get some help. She needed some trimming as many others have said.

Also, I agree w/everyone who is disappointed in RR. After that I won't be watching her any more.

Anna :puppykisses:

Toadstool
October 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
I was so disappointed, I expected some kind of trendy funky cut.
I've never seen that Rachel woman before, and God she was annoying!

katiana
October 7th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Here's the clip- I am watching while I am typing this and I will say I don't like the way the segment starts out with the loooong cutting of woman's hair in the dude from Queer Eye's hands, lol!

Wow! Thanks for posting this link..I should have thought to go to her website..
I actually do like short hair as well...but prefer long. Sometimes I just see the cutest hairdo's that I wish I could sport..but I am too timid to cut off the hair as I know I will regret it later..
I am not too fond of the "do" they gave her..was expecting better and thought they could have picked a better hairstyle for her...
It would be nice if they would have a show on how versatile long hair can be and instead of making someone feel odd for having long hair, embrace the beauty of the persons hair and show how one can look beautiful just by doing some simple styles...

rogue_psyche
October 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
These makeovers (and the hyper-fake hair fashions these days) always make me upset. I feel so bad for the people on shows like what not to wear who get bombarded with those insistent fashion-nazis. The worst part is when they break into these people's homes and insult their wardrobe in front of millions of people.

It makes me glad that LHC is out there, for people who try to bring out the natural, healthy beauty in our hair. The means to that end is unique to each member, but at least we have common goals. :flower:

LadyLongLocks
October 7th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I missed the show so I looked it up. HERE IT IS (http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/videos/view/43/2872/)(about 5 minute segment)
I was recently contacted by the producers of the Tyra Banks show for a makeover show. I declined. So... I was interested to see what they did to this ladies hair.
She looked ok I guess...but it was creepy to see her ponytail being held by the stylist.
Her hair was pretty when long, but needed a major trim IMO.

Demetrue
October 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I don't understand why they didn't work with her haircolor - it looked very one-dimensional bleached blonde after the haircut, and it looked very dry with no life or movement to it. As someone who is overweight herself, I think that if you cut your hair too short, it can make your head look out of proportion with your body. I think they could have left it in BSL layers and blended the bangs into the sides and added lowlights for warmth and depth.

katydid317
October 7th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I think she needed at least a trim, but the new style wasn't much of an improvement.

JCFantasy23
October 8th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Me too. I mean the woman got a haircut, big deal. She didn't come out with a third leg or a different color or something. The hair is...much shorter. And? That's freak-out worthy? It's not like it was a surprise that her hair was going to be cut since that's what RR mentioned before the woman even walked onstage with her new look.

I know, forget to agree to that before. She was overdid it with her reaction. I wondered how long her mouth was going to hang open.

Redheaded Raven
October 8th, 2009, 03:42 AM
I find shows like this so sad. They really play on peoples insecurities.

Carolyn
October 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I find shows like this so sad. They really play on peoples insecurities.Yes! I think we can assume the woman who got the cut on the show did it because she wanted to. I am hoping that no one was influenced to get their hair cut after seeing the RR show. I got a vibe of "it's time to change" and "make hubby happy, get your haircut". There are women who could be influenced by seeing those types of shows. I find that very sad.

Loviatar
October 8th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Her husband said "she wanted it, I'm excited to see it" when RR asked if he was looking forward to seeing the cut.

I didnt like how they played with the cut-off tail and joked about Cousin Itt, and said her husband could take it home and pet it. That was icky.

As for her ridiculously open mouth, maybe she just had some expensive dental work and wanted to show everyone. :lol: I'm glad Julie liked her new cut, but I disagree that she looked younger.

I'd have kept it maybe BSL and worked with her natural colour. That blah-all-over platinum did nothing for her IMO.

MOrab46019
October 9th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Has anyone seen one of these shows get someone they didn't like their makeover? Or do all the ladies like it or just put on a brave front?

Rebelkat
October 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Yes! I think we can assume the woman who got the cut on the show did it because she wanted to. I am hoping that no one was influenced to get their hair cut after seeing the RR show. I got a vibe of "it's time to change" and "make hubby happy, get your haircut". There are women who could be influenced by seeing those types of shows. I find that very sad.
I seriously don't think that a new haircut is going to make that big of a difference in a marriage, and if it does... there are probably much bigger issues in the relationship than someone's "outdated" style. Of course, if you feel the need for change... wigs are always fun! They're also the only option that allow for daily changes and still have the option to go back to your own hair.

Lyttle Lox
October 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I think they give this impression that beneath every woman is a glamorous pixie begging to be let free, and that's ridiculous. At the moment, my hair is excessively natural and I'm actually wearing a plaid shirt. I like to dress up sometimes, but to be expected to look perfect all the time is exhausting, and I sometimes feel like people are considering nominating me for What Not to Wear.

Hear, hear!