PDA

View Full Version : Guys with long hair being mistaken for girls

Pburgh56
October 5th, 2009, 02:34 PM
The other day I got mistaken for a girl for the first time. I know my hair isnt that long I had a headband on pushing back my bangs and I had curled the back up a little bit just to see what it would look like. We were at the store and this woman came up behind me and said excuse me ma'am. I turned around only to see I was a guy and we talked about hair for a few minutes. I didnt know if this was common or how many long haired guys on here have been mistaken for girls and how many women on here have mistaken long haired guys for girls ? I thought this was a neat topic :)

LittleOrca
October 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
MagnusXP, my aunt, and I were having dinner at Applebee's. Mag had his back towards the direction the waiter came from the waiter greeted us with "Evening ladies." He realized his mistake, apologized a hundred times, said he had had long hair also at one point and that he had gotten that and always felt horrible. He was so ashamed it was funny; he was more so than Mag was. For the next few days though, my family referred to Mag by a feminine version of his real name.

Rivanariko
October 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
My younger brother used to have APL hair, and he has very fine features. I don't think he looks particularly feminine, but some people mistook him for a girl not only from behind, but face to face. He would just roll his eyes and say something. As soon as he spoke, they figured it out from his voice, and you can't imagine how embarrassed they were at that point!

sally_neuf
October 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I was mistaken for a boy millions of times! it happens, people see short hair and black sweater on jeans, and think it's a boy. it didn't bother me though. (I got used to)

Besides, I'm tall for the average latin-girl (1.76 mts), so I think it contributes :)

I also had a boyfriend with beautiful shiny 2C hair. who was soo thin, he could get more compliments from guys than me !! LOL! I think that's why he cut it. now it's just yuck .

Yes, it was an odd couple. (thanks God it's over!)

GlassEyes
October 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
It's only happened once that I know of, and I heard it through an outside source.

Basically, here's the story. A year or two before I joined LHC, a friend had straightened my hair to a level that was actually decent the first and only second time that straightened hair has looked decent on me), and I wore it to school. At the time, I also had a mini-goatee going on. The day I went, i was wearing a sweatshirt with the arms cut off, a fishnet shirt, and a wife beater with baggy camo pants.

For some reason, from behind, this entered some kid's mind as girl.

My friend Roger was in Art Class, and my hair was mentioned (apparently I'm a hot topic, whatever), and some kid piped up saying he had wanted to go hit on 'that hot girl', but then she turned around and had a goatee'.

He relayed the story to me--and I found it rather funny. I asked my mom about it later that day, and she told me to turn around, gave me a funny look and said 'Uh, he's either gay or an idiot', and left it at that. :shrug: It was a source of amusement for a while.

Now, if I wear my hair straight (not often--or often done properly) I just get told I look like Jacob from twilight. :anger: Hell, I've gotten that with my hair curly.

heatherdazy
October 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Funny, when I was bald I was never mistaken for a boy. I do dress in a fairly girly way, though, I guess.

RancheroTheBee
October 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Oh, my. Yeah. Just a couple of nights ago, I was out with my male friend at a bar. His hair is probably three or four inches away from hip. Some guys behind us (he has his back to them, I was facing them) were eyeing us both. I told my friend, so he leaned around, and they looked shocked. Then, another guy came up with the intention of starting a conversation with my friend, only to discover he was male and then made this half-hearted compliment about how my "smile is pretty." It was so hilarious. XD

viking_quest
October 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
My friend's boyfriend is always getting the hello ladies comment. He got a free lunch out of it once.

freckles
October 5th, 2009, 03:13 PM
One of my best friends (male) has very pretty light blonde hair that's curly. It's about shoulder length curly and he gets mistaken for a girl quite a bit from behind. I'm glad it's never made him cut it though :)

Madame J
October 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I was mistaken for a boy millions of times! it happens, people see short hair and black sweater on jeans, and think it's a boy. it didn't bother me though. (I got used to)

Yeah, my best (female) friend got mistaken for a guy a lot when she cut her hair in middle school. One time, at Cotillion, some guy came up behind her and said "Duuuuude, why you wearin' a dress?" Apparently he thought she was one of his buddies who was cutting up. Since she doesn't wear dresses or skirts very often, I like to use that line whenever she's in a dress, even though she's grown her hair out.

Sheltie_Momma
October 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM
My son is 5. His hair is collar length, he typically wears t shirts, cargo shorts and crocs or vans. He gets mistaken for a girl by waiters and such sometimes, if they aren't paying attention. He usually doesn't notice it. If he does then he will say in a very matter of fact way "I am a boy. I have a penis". LOL, 5 year olds are a lot of fun.

florenonite
October 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I mistook my friend for a girl the first time I saw him. We lived in the same hall in first year, and I saw him across the dining hall. My brain registered the hair and delicate bone structure, and I thought he was a girl. Then I noticed his stubble :p

I've also been mistaken for a boy by some drunk neds, and this was with BSL hair! One of them called me a "long-haired prick" because his friend walked into my bag :rolleyes:

Starr
October 5th, 2009, 03:46 PM
My son is 5. His hair is collar length, he typically wears t shirts, cargo shorts and crocs or vans. He gets mistaken for a girl by waiters and such sometimes, if they aren't paying attention. He usually doesn't notice it. If he does then he will say in a very matter of fact way "I am a boy. I have a penis". LOL, 5 year olds are a lot of fun.

Bwahaha! I love it! Kids are great. :D

Elphie
October 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM
When I was in my 20's, I dated a lot of long haired guys and they were never too pleased with being mistaken for a girl, but I guess they got used to it or it just comes with the territory. Aerosmith made plenty of money on "Dude Looks Like a Lady" for a good reason I suppose!

TheEndlessOcean
October 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I've only gotten that once, and that was from a resident at the nursing home where I work. I really don't blame her, I'm sure she couldn't see that well and almost all of the other staff are female.

I guess from the front, most people notice the goatee, and from behind, people notice the 6'7" :p

Quixii
October 5th, 2009, 05:10 PM
My dad has super curly hair and, while he doesn't let it get too long, it tends to look like "old grandma hair" from behind, in all honesty. It doesn't help that he's a bit shorter than the average man (shorter than my mom, actually). People will tap him from behind and say, "Excuse me ma'am," and he'll turn around and they'll see his beard and/or moustache (he always has a moustache, sometimes has a beard) and get all awkward. xD

I've never been mistaken for a boy, though my hair has always been long. :)

Stubborn
October 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
No one has ever come up to me and told me that or anything. And there's no other incident that I'm aware of. Even though my hair is curly I think my broad shoulders, muscular build, and facial hair gives away that I'm male haha.

MissManda
October 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
My boyfriend has gorgeous, (approximately) 2b/3a/F/Miii expresso-colored hair that goes down to what would be BSL on a woman. His hair is so nice that random women have expressed hair envy. He's been mistaken for a woman on several occasions, but it doesn't happen that much when he's with me in public. lol

The Drood
October 5th, 2009, 05:39 PM
The only time I was mistake for a girl was during Halloween last year. It didn't help that I had on a nurses out fit (I was dressed up as the Joke in a Nurses outfit). Which made their reactions all the better when I turned around.

Fingolphin
October 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM
When my hair was long (I got it cut short this summer for my wedding :rolleyes:) I used to get mistaken for a girl quite a bit, even at work by customers. I didn't mind all that much.

krissykins
October 5th, 2009, 06:31 PM
My brother usually wears his hair in a ponytail, so whenever his hair is down and his back is to me when I walk into the room, my first thought is, "Who is this strange girl in my house?!"

But then I realize it's him and I go about my business :P

Alun
October 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
It's happened sometimes, but only when seen from behind. The beard is a bit of a giveaway. I don't worry about it. It's the people who get it wrong who are embarassed, not me.

rhubarbarin
October 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I got mistaken for a boy all the time when I had short hair (I also have a very thin frame, and wore unisex clothes at the time).

I think longer-haired boys are girls all the time from behind. The prettier the hair the more likely it is I will think 'ooh, look at her hair!'. But I am wise, I never refer to anyone by their gender unless I've got a good close look at them. There are plenty of people whose appearance doesn't imediately scream 'male' or 'female', and I don't want to make a mistake because some people get hurt feelings.

Now, if I wear my hair straight (not often--or often done properly) I just get told I look like Jacob from twilight. :anger: Hell, I've gotten that with my hair curly.

That is definitely a compliment.

freecelt
October 5th, 2009, 09:46 PM
My brother has a male friend who had TB length straight blond hair. Some guys in a pick up whistle at the friend from behind. They were pretty embarrassed after they drove by and saw it was a guy! :P

fluffybunny
October 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I have to admit I've mistaken some LHC men for women based on their avatar & sig pics :o

Little_Bird
October 6th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Well it has to happen to me at least once every week :lol:

The last time was when I was shopping for sewing material with some classmates (I0m surrently the only boy in my class) so it was 3 girls and me, with my big bun :p I didn't even shave for almost a week so it was surprising when (after asking for my classmates names for the reciept) he says "the last miss please...)..

I was like hmm... "it's mister, and it's (put name here).. :lol:

Anyways, I don't really mind this. It's happened to me a lot even before had long hair. It's just the way I talk maybe (I have a higher voice range and I get confused all the time on the phone) and maybe the way I dress (very colourfull and I've got a ton of clothes with flowers)... but hey! Life's like that ;)
I've also heard a lot of stories with women with short hair being confused with guys... Oh well... As long as you can tell I'm human, I'm good :cool:

GlassEyes
October 6th, 2009, 03:44 AM
That is definitely a compliment.
It would be, if I actually looked like him. :p But I significantly don't. I really don't know where people get it from.

Chrissy
October 6th, 2009, 04:48 AM

All these stories are great but this one is my favorite! So that's the solution. Well I guess it would only work if your 5 otherwise you may get in trouble!! LOL!!!:D

hmmm
October 6th, 2009, 05:36 AM
I got mistaken for a boy lots of times when I had short hair, but the only times it bothered me was when the people were just being mean when they said it. They weren't even sorry or embarrassed, more like 'why would you cut off your hair if you didn't want people saying things like that to you'.
I don't even have a boyish frame!

shrimp
October 6th, 2009, 05:41 AM
:oops: I'm a bun-haired woman who gets mistaken for a bloke (by men) embarssingly often.

You'd think the cartoonish breasts, the smaller waist and the huge hips would give it away... apparently not. :shrug:

Maybe I should wear my hair down more often? :ponder:

:wink:

david
October 6th, 2009, 07:29 AM
yeah this happens all the time with me, I take it as a compliment though. Im quite small with a small frame so I suppose I can see where the confusion happens. The funniest time was when I was in a lecture at university and I had to leave the lecture hall for a few seconds and the the lecture thought I was a girl. He had apparently announced to the class that the girl that got up during the lecture must have been really bored as a joke. Later my class mates told me about it and thought it was really funny.

Besides that I get it most places I go. Especially when I plait or wear my hair down.

Sheltie_Momma
October 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I've been mentioning my son's "long-ish" hair on the boards a lot, thought about it, and feel okay about posting a picture, it's up in my album if anyone wants to take a peek....

florenonite
October 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM
I've also heard a lot of stories with women with short hair being confused with guys... Oh well... As long as you can tell I'm human, I'm good :cool:

Really?! I thought you were a Time Lord! :p

Shastrix
October 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Fortunately, this hasn't happened yet...

It has been pointed out to me on several occassions that I am a long-haired, male Ashley (yes, it is predominately a man's name in the UK :p), with a husband, who is to hopefully become a "Dr" once I finish my PhD...

The epitome of androgyny, so really it is just a matter of time! :laugh:

Vijikanth
October 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
No one had mistaken me for a girl as I have broad shoulders and I carry myself quite masculine. Though one of my friend has commented that my hair is as long as hers. Once my aunt mentioned that she would be happy if she could have the volume of hair I posses...

Amara
October 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I don't believe I've ever said anything like "ma'am" or whatever to a guy, but in my mind I know I've thought a guy was a girl or a girl was a guy before. It happens! No big deal, I think, I would apologize and move on...

I do remember, though, when I was 12 or 13 I got this HORRIBLE haircut that was nothing like what I had asked for and was way too short - and I was convinced that I looked like a boy and that was really traumatic for me at that age - who doesn't need help with self esteem at that age? :eyeroll:

Beatnik Guy
October 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM
The beard is a bit of a giveaway.

Uh huh. :agree:

My hair is mostly in a ponytail (or banded tail sometimes) when i'm out though so I've not been mistaken for a girl for a long while. No worries if I am though.

little_acorn
October 6th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I have to laugh at this thread as DH quite often gets mistaken for a girl from the back but when he turns round (usually accompanied by gales of laughter from me) the beard is a dead give away. :D

I bet he'd love to use the 5 year old, 'I have a penis line'........I won't suggest that to him!

terryn
October 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Ah, yes, I used to get this ALL the time, tho, it was kind of what I was after in my teen years. I had very short hair, and wore black, baggy, men's clothing,

My favorite mishap tho from when I was yonger (probably 9 or 10) was I was shopping in Wal-mart. I had my collar-length hair half-up in pig tails with a visor, white tee-shirt and blue shorts. I overheard someone saying "as soon as this little boy moves..." the reason I found it hilarious was because I live in a very conservative area, and you would simply not see a boy with pig tails of any kind.

Monkey962
October 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I get confused for a girl very occasionally. I'm actually surprised how infrequently it happens. Most notably it's happened at work a couple of times, where my hair is in a braid down my shirt (Health and safety crap). So all anyone really has to go on is my body shape (I guess I have a thin waist so my hips look bigger in contrast). When it happens, somebody usually says "Excuse me, ma'am?" and I will rarely turn around since I am not a ma'am, and at some point I'll realize they're trying to get my attention and wait until they figure out I'm a dude. At that point I mostly worry that they've embarrassed themselves, and I try to play it off like nothing happened.

Mutinous
October 6th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, though more so when I am clean shaven, hence my hesitance to shave! It's probably not helped along by the fact I occasionally wear girl-esque t-shirts and skinny jeans!

I once got called ma'am on an aeroplane. My little brother (who has shoulder length hair) found it hilarious!

GlassEyes
October 6th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Yeah, though more so when I am clean shaven, hence my hesitance to shave! It's probably not helped along by the fact I occasionally wear girl-esque t-shirts and skinny jeans!

I once got called ma'am on an aeroplane. My little brother (who has shoulder length hair) found it hilarious!
You know, surprisingly, even though I wear skinny jeans AND girl's tee shirts, I've never been called a girl when I wear them. :confused: XD; You'd think that'd be a likely time, especially since I've been told I look better in them than a lot of girls. :p Maybe my hair just isn't long enough yet.

pepperminttea
October 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
My eldest brother used to get this a lot, when he had layered chin length hair - then he grew a full beard. Funnily enough, it didn't happen quite so often after that. :D

trolleypup
October 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Heh. This is a rite of passage for long haired men...much like getting your hair caught in the car door, etc.

It happens to me from time to time, pretty much regardless of what I am wearing (which may vary from fairly masculine to somewhat feminine).

*shrug*

Always bothers the other person far more than me.

EdG
October 6th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Yes, that happens from time to time.

It seemed to happen more often when I had hip to classic length hair. Now, I'm not sure what people think... Woman? :confused: Man? :confused: Cousin It? :rolleyes:
Ed

Belisarius
October 7th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Fortunately not, it may happen, but I don't shave often so I don't expect it to happen.

Pburgh56
October 7th, 2009, 05:56 AM
Wow thanks for all the amazing stories :) It is neat to hear all your experiences so I know what to expect. I will be anxious to hear more.

Armelle
October 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I've gone through many years of being called male upon first (and sometimes subsequent) glance. I suppose it's the shape of my face or something.

When I worked at the Maryland Renaissance Festival, (my job was costuming people for expensive poloroid photos) I was glared at for calling someone's child a girl. But the boy was maybe 5 years old and had mid-back length fluffy blonde hair...what the heck was I supposed to think? Many kids don't develop distinct gender features until they're a few years older.

shadowclaw
October 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
This happens to my fiance all the time! His hair is just starting to get long (for a guy) and it's almost APL and his ponytail gets such a pretty curl to it. We don't often go out to eat, but when we do, the waitress always says, "Hello ladies" because they always seem to approach from his back.

One time at Fresnos, the waitress was so embarassed by her mistake that she kept messing things up all night... bringing the wrong drink refills, forgetting the tortilla shells for our fajitas, forgetting plates for the appetizer... it was funny. We always have a good laugh when a waitress gets embrassed.

It also happened just a few nights ago at Red Lobster, but the waitress kept her cool. She apologized, but she didn't let it ruin her night.

piratejenny23
October 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Personally I've never mistaken a guy with long hair for a girl. Guys' body shapes are so different (waist/hips) and the way they move & walk....in fact when I see long gorgeous hair I HOPE it's on a guy! I have a problem!!!

When my son was little he had long fluffy blonde curls and EVERYONE thought he was a girl. His name is Caleb and people would think I was saying "Kayla". It made him mad but he still didn't want to cut his hair. One Halloween he dressed up as a pirate and I drew a mustache on him; that was the only time people didn't mistake him for a girl! After that we always joked about drawing a mustache on to go to the playground or grocery store.

About the same time I was working at DMV. One of the funniest accident reports I ever took was about a guy who crashed his car because he was staring at a the shapely rear end of a girl with long beautiful hair--but "turned out it was a guy. I learned my lesson: keep my eyes on the road!" :laugh:

paintedmuse
October 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
My best friend got that a lot when he had long hair a while ago... it was somewhere between chin and shoulder, not that long. But his face is so delicate- he would be such a pretty girl xD Really, if he'd wear a dress and go out people would think he's a girl, not a boy in women's clothes! He hated it though, so he cut his hair.

Pburgh56
October 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Awww its sad when being mistaken makes somebody cut their hair :( The restaurant thing would be funny tho. Us long haired guys have to have thick skin :)

Heidi_234
October 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I happen to mistaken women for men - I could be out somewhere, looking around and seeing this very attractive man with long hair (of course I got something for long hair on guys), and I'd eye him some more, and when "he" approaches or passes by I realize it's just a not very attractive woman :suspect: :doh:

longhairedfairy
October 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
About the same time I was working at DMV. One of the funniest accident reports I ever took was about a guy who crashed his car because he was staring at a the shapely rear end of a girl with long beautiful hair--but "turned out it was a guy. I learned my lesson: keep my eyes on the road!" :laugh:
That's great! :lol:

Bellona
October 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I haven't technically been mistaken for a man, but once someone thought I was dressed in drag when I was younger and all decked out in false eyelashes, heavy makeup, and super high heels :laugh: I guess it's because I'm tall, but it was still funny.

I did think twice about going out like that again!

Ahmose
October 7th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I've grown used to being mistaken for a female. It happens all too often..

Elistariel
October 7th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I've never been mistaken for male. I know I have looked at some people and wondered.

I live in a small southern town, you know, the kind where "everyone" is republican and christian. The chances of me seeing a male with long hair that wasn't a teenager are slim to none. Darn you hokey small town.

Pburgh56
October 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I am anxious to see what comments I come up with to say to people when I get mistaken :)

practikalmagik
October 8th, 2009, 02:33 AM
My DBF has hair a bit longer then mine. He's also not super tall but he's got a very bloke-like body and has a very masculine face (and a long beard). Anyway, he used to work at Tescos and was kneeling on the floor doing some stocking and this guy comes up behind him and says "hey love, can you tell me where X is?" and my BF just stood up and turned round. Apparently the guy was rather embarrassed but it was all good-natured in the end. Lol. I just don't understand how long hair=girls when some guys are very obviously male in their body shape. *shrug*

longhairedfairy
October 8th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I've never been mistaken for male. I know I have looked at some people and wondered.

I live in a small southern town, you know, the kind where "everyone" is republican and christian. The chances of me seeing a male with long hair that wasn't a teenager are slim to none. Darn you hokey small town.
LOL. I know what you mean. I love men with long, well-cared-for hair if it suits their features, but it's not that common here.

I am anxious to see what comments I come up with to say to people when I get mistaken :)
Well, I think it would be funny if you answered in a high-pitched voice.:p

jtl45
October 8th, 2009, 06:51 AM
A funny story for me was a last year I was swimming at the community pool and did not have a bathing cap on and a lady came running up from the office telling me to put my top on immediately! I think it totally embarrassed her after she found out I was not a girl, but she then proceeded to tell me to wear a bathing cap!
Jim :)

Pburgh56
October 8th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Hahahah that swimming story is great :) I cant believe she thought you were a girl from behind wow. I may try to answer in the high pitched voice too. It may be fun haha.

paintedmuse
October 8th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Oh yes! :D Sometimes it's so hard to tell. My german teacher for example. Her hair is very short (about 1 cm?), except for some weird emo-style bangs which fall into her constantly reddish face. She dresses very plain, black too large pants and a shirt, and is always wearing the ugliest shoes I have ever seen. You couldn't tell whether she's male or female if you didn't know, except that she would be very short for a guy.
(Sorry for the rant, but this woman irritates me. She is extremely incompetent, as in you notice she doesn't say things spontaniously, but has learned them by heart/is reading them off a paper- which she didn't write herself, of course. She studied philosophy, and seriously, she doesn't think for herself. We discuss a lot of philosophical topics in class, and it is obvious to everyone that all she does is quoting famous writers and agreeing with them. She also has zero charisma.)
This was very off topic, sorry...:o

Das Siechtum
October 8th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I havent been mistaken for a girl once (since I sport a very viking like beard). Just once, when I was walking in the city of Kassel, I heard a whistle out of a car in my direction...I had my hair down that day. *g*

pdy2kn6
October 8th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Dont worry, it happens all the time, especially as your hair gets longer. Since starting to wear a bun and a fork, often when I go to the toilet at university or in anywhere in public and for example I am washing my hands, there is always that slight delay when the incoming male looks at me from behind and thinks that they are in the wrong toilets and that I am a girl. But then they see my reflection in the mirror and realise its the mens toilet haha. This always makes me laugh, you just have to get over it and accept it's just what in the past people have been used to, for example they probably aren't used to seeing males with long hair. However nowadays its getting more and more common, with men choosing to wear their hair in tonnes of ways. lol. Don't worry about it, it comes with the territory.

Shastrix
October 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Dont worry, it happens all the time, especially as your hair gets longer. Since starting to wear a bun and a fork, often when I go to the toilet at university or in anywhere in public and for example I am washing my hands, there is always that slight delay when the incoming male looks at me from behind and thinks that they are in the wrong toilets and that I am a girl. But then they see my reflection in the mirror and realise its the mens toilet haha. This always makes me laugh, you just have to get over it and accept it's just what in the past people have been used to, for example they probably aren't used to seeing males with long hair. However nowadays its getting more and more common, with men choosing to wear their hair in tonnes of ways. lol. Don't worry about it, it comes with the territory.

Actually, having read what you said, I now remember an incident when I was last at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport. I was drying my hands near the entrance/exit of the men's toilets and in the mirror I saw a guy walk in, clock me, freak out and exclaim something in French, then go in to reverse rather quickly. He must have double checked the sign as a few seconds later he walked in again as if nothing happened whilst trying very hard to avoid looking at me... :D

JamieLeigh
October 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I've never personally mistaken anyone for either gender...but my best friend gets mistaken for a woman when he shaves off his facial hair. So he has perpetual chops. :p

Fingolphin
October 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
When I was working at a big-box hardware store, it would happen all the time that when I was in the men's room some customer would walk in and pause for a moment when they saw me in there, like they were thinking, "did one of us choose the wrong room?" I usually wore it in a bun to keep it out of the way at work, and usually wore green Crocs for comfort on those darn concrete floors. For some reason, around here anyway, a lot of guys seem to think Crocs are for girls, but I digress. Anyway, it never bothered me, as I've always been quite comfortable with myself, and have always tended to look and dress a bit androgynous.

Pburgh56
October 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Awwwwww I love all the great responses. :)

Eilean
October 12th, 2009, 03:15 AM
It happened to my partner once, when he stood in front of a shelf in the supermarket. An elderly man said "Excuse me darling, can I just...". When my partner turned around, the man did not even finish his sentence :D , especially because my partner has a goatie beard :D .

EvergreenEffect
October 12th, 2009, 05:27 AM
At the Portland meet-up the other day, we were taking pictures in the Japanese Garden with several women with really long hair and one guy (Sorry, I can't remember any of your names except for Melissa and Kathleen). I heard at least six times from the gawking public something along the lines of "Oh wow, look how long her hair is! Oh... wait... that's a guy...omg wow."

GlassEyes
October 12th, 2009, 05:37 AM
At the Portland meet-up the other day, we were taking pictures in the Japanese Garden with several women with really long hair and one guy (Sorry, I can't remember any of your names except for Melissa and Kathleen). I heard at least six times from the gawking public something along the lines of "Oh wow, look how long her hair is! Oh... wait... that's a guy...omg wow."
:confused: You were at the Portland meet? I don't remember you being mentioned in the thread...unless you're one of the friends that...uh, Gem brought?

Anyway, that's probably DaveDecker. XD That's pretty funny.

Mutinous
October 12th, 2009, 06:25 AM
You know, surprisingly, even though I wear skinny jeans AND girl's tee shirts, I've never been called a girl when I wear them. :confused: XD; You'd think that'd be a likely time, especially since I've been told I look better in them than a lot of girls. :p Maybe my hair just isn't long enough yet.

Maybe :P My hair isn't that long though. I think I was wearing a quiff in the fringe as well, which probably did not help matters along :P

Skinny jeans ftw!

EvergreenEffect
October 12th, 2009, 07:04 AM
:confused: You were at the Portland meet? I don't remember you being mentioned in the thread...unless you're one of the friends that...uh, Gem brought?

Anyway, that's probably DaveDecker. XD That's pretty funny.
Yes that "friend", also known as spouse, would be me. And yes that would be Dave.

GlassEyes
October 12th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Yes that "friend", also known as spouse, would be me. And yes that would be Dave.
Oh, sorry! :p LittleOrca posted that Gem was there with a few friends and her husband I think--sorry for forgetting. :o

@Mutinous: SKINNY JEANS FTW.

I probably have too broad shoulders to get mistaken for a girl from behind(which makes me wonder about the one time was). :shrug: I'd find it hilarious if it happened. I really want to use that 'I am' line. :p

Pburgh56
October 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the great stories from the garden and everything. Im soo thinking up lines to use when I am mistaken right now. I cant wait.

Liss
March 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Well the OP got banned, but I still like the thread and thought I'd add my own little story along.

When I was about 19 a strange rumour started circulating that I was a lesbian. I wasn't really offended and just brushed it off, but the more people that started asking me questions about my supposed 'coming-out' made me want to know how and why this rumour was gaining ground. It turned out that a girl I knew as a friend of a friend had seen me at the river kissing a topless long haired girl. Apparently my blatent shamelessness set tongues wagging. I couldn't stop laughing when I heard this and asked the person who told me "don't any of you think that maybe I was at the river kissing a long haired topless boy?" The rumour stopped pretty soon afterwards. Sadly my then-boyfriend chopped his waist length hair off about a year later and never grew it out again.

Sparkette
March 18th, 2010, 08:34 PM
When I was 19, I was working on a construction site. My hair was so short at the time you could hardly see it under my hardhat and I always dressed to hide my curves. On more than one occasion, the guys installing the ventilation system mistook me for their foreman(a man in his early forties). Talk about looking a little androgynous!

curlylocks85
March 18th, 2010, 09:33 PM
When my son was a baby, he was always mistaken for a girl, even though he wore clothes that said "baby boy", "little prince", or "big man on campus". :shrug:

DARKMARTIAN
March 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM
It doesnt happen very often but I can vividly recall a few times when it has......

I think it happens most when im driving. Seems like some guy next to me will, for a split second think im a female until he gets a look at my face at which point they usually look away rather quickly.......:)

But yes ....seen while standing, I know my body structure gives it away....its not real feminine.....:p

Keildra
March 18th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I kinda have a funny story one of my male friends who had longer hair than me was hanging out with me while I was watching my nephew and niece. My nephew and niece at this time were 3 and 1 and had pretty bad separation anxiety. I didn't let my guy friend know that from the back he looked almost exactly like my sister (except for the feminine physique). Well my niece and nephew had been there for about 2 hours and sort of calmed down when my friend decided to go into the kitchen and get their. Well as soon as he turned around and started walking away both of them yelled "Mommy!" and started running towards him. He turned around and they, realizing it wasn't mommy, started bawling again. It took another two hours to calm them down and I was laughing the whole time. He was kind of embarrassed at first but then laughed it.
My niece and nephew are now 4 and 5 and I can't wait to tell this story when they become teenagers.

Renbirde
March 19th, 2010, 12:50 AM
I was mistaken for a guy when I was up at waist.

From behind. And my hair was in a high ponytail, I think. It might have been a braid, tied of with a baby-blue ribbon.
:cheese:

Magelet33
March 19th, 2010, 02:11 AM
I have to admit I've mistaken some LHC men for women based on their avatar & sig pics :o
me too

I'm pretty sure my DBF has never been mistaken for a girl. He's 6 feet tall, and his shoulders/chest are probably...2 times as wide as mine from side to side? all bone structure. I've NEVER seen a woman built like he is. (His hair is mid back length. It's also somewhat thin. If it was really thick, I could imagine he could maybe be mistaken for a girl, because it might cover him up, but not with his hair and build)

Alun
March 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Actually, having read what you said, I now remember an incident when I was last at Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport. I was drying my hands near the entrance/exit of the men's toilets and in the mirror I saw a guy walk in, clock me, freak out and exclaim something in French, then go in to reverse rather quickly. He must have double checked the sign as a few seconds later he walked in again as if nothing happened whilst trying very hard to avoid looking at me... :D

I've had that happen, but only hispanic guys have done that, and it doesn't seem to happen anymore, presumably because there are now more hispanic guys with long hair, whereas I think it used to be very rare in their culture. By hispanic I mean central and south american immigrants in the US.

Alun
March 19th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Maybe :P My hair isn't that long though. I think I was wearing a quiff in the fringe as well, which probably did not help matters along :P

Skinny jeans ftw!

FTW - Free The Weed!

What? Does it mean something else too?:confused:

*Aoife*
March 19th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I'm always mistaking guys on here for girls. Sorry :) But take it as a compliment, in making that mistake I always think you have pretty hair :D

This is about my brother. He has sorta long hair which was in a pony tail and he had just shaved. We were in a resaurant in Berlin and there was a guy handing out roses to all the women. He came to our table, gave one to me and my mam, looked and my brother and handed him one too. We checked afterwards, he was the only guy that got a rose.

*Aoife*
March 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
FTW - Free The Weed!

What? Does it mean something else too?:confused:

Generally it's "f**k the world", but used in a positive way. As in that something is really great. But I know people who argue that it means "for the win", which I don't think sounds as right.

Jordan S.
March 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah I've mistake quite a few for girls lol. i feel bad.

beez1717
March 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM
heh!!!! franky i'd kind of like to have this happen to me because then I'd know I have girly hair and that would make me happy :)

TheEndlessOcean
March 20th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Generally it's "f**k the world", but used in a positive way. As in that something is really great. But I know people who argue that it means "for the win", which I don't think sounds as right.Hmm, I've always heard that it means for the win. It certainly is an odd expression, but it makes more sense to me than cursing the entire world in a positive way :p

ademtce
March 20th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Generally it's "f**k the world", but used in a positive way. As in that something is really great. But I know people who argue that it means "for the win", which I don't think sounds as right.

I've always thought i was "for the win" but at one point i thought it meant "F the what?" which doesn't make much sense.

florenonite
March 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM

I've always heard it meaning 'for the win', never 'F the world'. And most contexts I've seen it in would be as the former, too.

Heidi_234
March 20th, 2010, 07:20 AM
It's For The Win (I almost got modded once for using FTW once! The mod thought I was saying F the world lol). I'm not a native speaker, but I think it derived from presidential/leader election situations where one could/would state "Mr. Thisorthat for the win!", and it caught on for other things, so now computer programs, lolcats and random internet people are also cheered on to become presidents. I could be entirely wrong though. :p

pepperedmoth
March 20th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Gosh, I did this just the other day . . . I was looking for the women's room in an unfamiliar place, when from behind I noticed someone with shoulder-length, loose hair vanishing into such a place . . . I quickly followed, then turned bright red and fled when I noticed that he was now standing at a urinal!

*Aoife*
March 20th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I checked with four friends today. One of them thinks it means for the win, the rest agree that it's ***** the world.

Sorry about the off topicness

satindesire
March 20th, 2010, 05:25 PM
It depends on which circle you run in, what FTW means. I'm a gamer, so to the people I hang out with, it means "For The Win!"

Arriens
March 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM
there is always that slight delay when the incoming male looks at me from behind and thinks that they are in the wrong toilets and that I am a girl. But then they see my reflection in the mirror and realise its the mens toilet haha.
Try watching their reaction when you are using the urinal while wearing your scottish kilt and hair loose. :eyebrows:

FTW - Free The Weed! :D
Having long hair in my nation has a disadvantige. All the tourists ask where the weed shops are. :p

And back on topic, shamefully I the long hair myself has accidently called someone a female while he wasn't. :(

Athena's Owl
March 21st, 2010, 05:13 AM
What? It totally means FOR THE WIN!

And yes, I am a gamer.

RustyAl
June 17th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Ive only ever bin mistaken as a girl twice, from behind when sitting, both from girls. Which is rather surprising as my hair isnt that long. But never get mistaken when I'm standing or from the front as I'm 6"2. But it doesnt really bother me, kinda take it as a compliment as at least my hair is looking good

MINAKO
June 17th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I wear hoodies (with the hood up) and big headphones plus baggy pants often in my freetime to run errands or something. Also i'm really tall so people sometimes mistake me for a schoolboy, mostly older store employes. It happened quite a few times and i noticed i actually get into the role sometimes and put a bit of dude swag on and feel really good about it, since nobody sees me or talks to me the same way they usually act towards this tall and fragile alien looking girl. Nobody hollas at me, nobody is commebting on my body, nobody gives a **** whether i'm wearing makeup or not.

Jeno86
June 19th, 2016, 08:42 AM
My husband has MBL hair with the sides of his head shaved. Basically, he looks like he stepped out of the old Norse era. This happens to him all the time. But the funny thing is, it only happens when he has a beard. No idea why. No beard - "Sir". Beard - "ma'am". We're still trying to figure out why.

lithostoic
June 19th, 2016, 10:22 AM
Haha, when my boyfriend and I first started dating at 12 and 15 (him being 12) he had CBL hair. Some old guy said "good morning ladies" to us when we were walking to my house!

Hairkay
June 19th, 2016, 02:55 PM
When I was about 3 and my brother was 2, he got mistaken for me. Mother hadn't gotten around to cutting his hair as yet. Bro had wet himself and the babysitter had run out of his clothing but she had a spare dress of mine. He got put in a dress. Mother came and had a little panic that she couldn't find her little boy. That was when she noticed that there were two Hairkays sitting down. :rolling: I wished she had taken a picture of that. I would have had something to tease bro about now.

One dark cold early winter morning I was out in my long coat and baseball cap. I man passed my and greeted me, "good morning mister". I was surprised but realised that I was entirely hidden in my large long coat and hat. It was 4am and I was alone. I decided to try that again if I'm ever in such a circumstance.

Oh I naturally default everyone to female unless others let me know they're male. I think that's because I am female. That happens online, when reading about any protagonist and most times in person too. I once got through 5 whole chapters in a book until I realised the the protagonist was male. Even the bit when he talked about his wife was not enough of a hint.